• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFreshPrince

K' Dash said:
Yes, some enemies can and will evade your attacks.

Ok, that makes sense....but is the enemies evasion based on when you 'release' your ATB bar vs. when they are attacking or standing??? Or is evasion all based on stats and the animations/timing doesn't matter at all??

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
WanderingWind said:
Wow. You're the first person I've heard of that likes shopping from the save points.

...I don't like you.

That's because the only people who import a FF from Japan are those who are hugely invested in the series and very attached to its mechanics, and those are the only people we've heard from pre-NA-release. I'm glad to say that I belong to a crowd who LOVES the idea of the game being gutted of traditional mechanics. The notion of shopping at save points, and never having to worry about which friggin shop in the game has what I want, or having to travel somewhere when I want something, thrills me.

aryies

Neo Member
i really like vanille. color me suprised!

i hate snow though. my god. its like they made him intentionally douchey.

Zalasta

WanderingWind said:
Wow. You're the first person I've heard of that likes shopping from the save points.

...I don't like you.

Having to run into town every time you need to make inventory space is an archaic design. I can't imagine why anyone would prefer that.

Hyunkel6

When does the combat system open up? I'm in chapter 2 when
Serah turned into a crystal
. I'm getting tired of only using "Attack" and "Blitz".

Oh yeah, the CGs in the game are AMAZING.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Tathanen said:
That's because the only people who import a FF from Japan are those who are hugely invested in the series and very attached to its mechanics, and those are the only people we've heard from pre-NA-release. I'm glad to say that I belong to a crowd who LOVES the idea of the game being gutted of traditional mechanics. The notion of shopping at save points, and never having to worry about which friggin shop in the game has what I want, or having to travel somewhere when I want something, thrills me.
Don't paint us all with the same brush! I'm a huge FF fan and I was super happy with this game.

J-GAF's batting average is like .150. :)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Tathanen said:

So...then you don't like RPGs, but you like FFXIII? Based on that, should I even bother playing any further?

Hyunkel6 said:
When does the combat system open up? I'm in chapter 2 when
Serah turned into a crystal
. I'm getting tired of only using "Attack" and "Blitz".

Oh yeah, the CGs in the game are AMAZING.

At the start of Chp3. you unlock roles, which is when Paradigm Shifting comes into play.

Speaking of roles, what does it do when you level up a role?

falastini

I'm only a few hours in, but I'm enjoying it so far. Most impressions I've read said the initial part of the game as being the worst, so I'm optimistic towards the rest of it. The characters aren't that bad so far. Even Vanille doesn't seem as bad as Van.

I'm disappointed the game is said to be linear (no towns etc.), but if the story is strong enough I'll look past it.

Daft_Cat

I'm loving this so far. Really not understanding all the hate...

Well, I mean, I get the complaints, but I'm glad SE shakes up the formula pretty drastically with every game. 13 reminds me of 6, very linear at first before opening up at the end. More importantly, I really do think the characters and the story are the best we've seen since 7.

Seems like the paradigm switching is only useful for the harder foes, is this accurate? Im only about 4hrs in so Im not sure really, but Im mowing down the lesser foes with ease.

Dragon

Banned
Zalasta said:
Having to run into town every time you need to make inventory space is an archaic design. I can't imagine why anyone would prefer that.

But but but it's more realistic!! Who needs suspension of belief when you can go to town, go into random people's houses and get away with it!

So I ended up getting my copy today after all. The first comment I have is I really hope the combat gets a lot deeper than it is starting out, because, as of now, there is little to no strategy, and the fact that the Crystarium is supposedly a linear experience too sort of worries me. As far as story goes, the actual intro did nothing to wow me at all, but what I can say is that I already ABSOLUTELY LOVE the characters and story.
Hope's mother dying was so touching,
, especially after reading the online novelizations and getting attached to that character.

Overall, I think I'm going to really like the game, especially if there is added depth. Otherwise, it's going to end up being only slightly more complex than Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. In other words, press X the game. (Note, I really liked Crisis Core.)

The hardest thing is coming to this game while being in the middle of Heavy Rain. This game just seems like shit compared to Heavy Rain's immersion and story. I'll be playing both games in tandem and I'll get over it, but dang. The difference in story telling.

Biggest disappointment-ton: Final Fantasy XIII supports 5.1 lossless audio on the PS3, right? Well that's not quite right. The game's MUSIC is actually 3.1, coming out of the three front speakers, with the back two speakers being reserved solely for sound effects. SO disappointing. I was expecting 5.1 lossless Final Fantasy music.

Anyways, I'll be playing more tonight!

iam now 8 hours in and i love it :D iam at chapter 5
the robot scene where you can controle one was awesome reminded me of final fantasy 6
and i have now 2
summons the one from snow and lightning and the fight against odin was kinda hard had to redo it like 10 times
iam now in
this botanikum thing
so far i realy like the game and dont know what reviewers want the game is great the way it is.

aryies

Neo Member
for people worried about the combat early on being easy, no strategy, etc, even trash mobs will kick your ass later on. granted, not all, but when i fought lots of enemies or enemies with a "tank" mob, and magic casters, you cant not heal, or spam auto attacks.

charsace

I caved and got a copy. I have been negative in regards to recent FF games and squares milking. Still I am willing to give this game a go.

Livin_Lovin said:
The
Odin
fight is kicking my ass. Any advice?
use the +100 hp accesoirs for both and press l1 before the fight and use the one thing that gives you the 3 stat bosts before the fight starts and when it start use the boy to heal and when both are full use him to attack too. odin will fill his gauge when you simply use auto attacks

oh and i used custom paradigms: breaker / heal , breaker / caster

teekun

dreamer3kx said:
Seems like the paradigm switching is only useful for the harder foes, is this accurate? Im only about 4hrs in so Im not sure really, but Im mowing down the lesser foes with ease.

It's not just for special event type fights, if that's what you mean. I've come across a few regular encounters where I needed to switch paradigms pretty frequently in order to survive.

Been playing since Saturday and absolutely love it so far. Only managed to get 7 hours in do to commitments but I have no regrets about picking this game up so far. Yeah, it's linear but the story is really good.

aryies

Neo Member
Livin_Lovin said:
The
Odin
fight is kicking my ass. Any advice?

cast protect and shell, use double caster team, switch to double heals when needed (he hits fucking hard at times) then when he uses his shield, spam with double casts, hard. thats how i done it anyway

also, whats a good way to make gil? im finding myself always broke. and i dont want to see my items since i want to upgrade stuffs.

Mr. Wonderful said:
So I ended up getting my copy today after all. The first comment I have is I really hope the combat gets a lot deeper than it is starting out, because, as of now, there is little to no strategy, and the fact that the Crystarium is supposedly a linear experience too sort of worries me. As far as story goes, the actual intro did nothing to wow me at all, but what I can say is that I already ABSOLUTELY LOVE the characters and story.
Hope's mother dying was so touching,
, especially after reading the online novelizations and getting attached to that character.

The progress path in the Crystarium of each individual role is linear but you are juggling progress across mulitple roles. And unlike the jobs of previous FFs you can't really just stick with one job and max that out and ignore the others, you really need to keep up with all of them to an extent. Their is still a fair amount of choice as to where to put your CP.

Empty

dreamer3kx said:

I'm finding myself using it for regular enemies, outside of the real easy packs, but i like to be very hands on with my battles. Some of the regular enemies are just plain tough, i just got mauled a few times by a three way battle where i just couldn't seem to inflict damage and only having ravagers/medic lacked the ability to quickly up the shatter bar, maybe i was going the wrong direction, but i eventually fought through but in a long war of attrition.

The game is so sick so far and I had quite a bit of trouble at
When you fight the Manasvin Warmech again in Chapter 3 for the paradigm tutorial, then I finally smartened up and did what the tutorial told me
:lol

Stupid question, but status improvements in Crystarium (STR+, HP+, etc)...are they only active for that specific role or do they affect your character at all times?

dramatis

Zalasta said:

Sure. But using a town teeming with life and minute details to flesh out the world is not archaic design. From a perspective outside of just shops, there are many things a town can be, and reasons why it is preferable to a dead and uninteresting save point.

But I imagine a person who prefers reading his world details out of a menu option rather than visiting an area that substantiates the world physically would not prefer having a town.

Pai Pai Master said:
Stupid question, but status improvements in Crystarium (STR+, HP+, etc)...are they only active for that specific role or do they affect your character at all times?
they should be active all the time

dramatis said:
Sure. But using a town teeming with life and minute details to flesh out the world is not archaic design. From a perspective outside of just shops, there are many things a town can be, and reasons why it is preferable to a dead and uninteresting save point.

But I imagine a person who prefers reading his world details out of a menu option rather than visiting an area that substantiates the world physically would not prefer having a town.
do you visit india when you want to know something about the country? instead of reading about it on the internet ._.

A bit over 5 hours in. Just beat
Shiva cycle
. Right now, I have a few complaints with the battle system but it all just goes back to not being able to control the whole party. I'm still loving it but I really wish I could control everyone. At least we should be able to switch leaders on the fly and/or not game over when they die.

Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints and the rest of the game will have to suck for it to not be my GOTY.

Fimbulvetr said:
I kinda half-way wish Snow died instead of her. But then we wouldn't get Hope going from a wimp to fucking hardcore in the span of a minute.

Maybe
he did die during the fall and the whole game is just his dream :D

cosmicblizzard said:
Maybe
he did die during the fall and the whole game is just his dream :D

:lol
Considering how stupidly retconny and happy go lucky the ending is I wouldn't be surprised. Also explains scissor sisters.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
aryies said:
also, whats a good way to make gil? im finding myself always broke. and i dont want to see my items since i want to upgrade stuffs.

Not sure what they're called in the US version but sell the Chips/Credits whatever you get from soldiers. They are not used for anything and are meant to be sold. Enemies eventually respawn so if you find a spot with soldiers you can farm them a bit. Later on you'll also find a lot of items where the description itself says 'sell this for a high price'.

Also glad to see all the positive impressions in this thread..I almost wish I was a part of this one instead of the import one for my first experience.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
this might become my favorite FF.

only thing that dissapoints me is only 1 summon per char

to be more specific NO FUCKING IFRIT WTF :(

i only have shiva and odin

Tiduz said:
this might become my favorite FF.

only thing that dissapoints me is only 1 summon per char

to be more specific NO FUCKING IFRIT WTF :(

i only have shiva and odin
yeah... this sucks...

i want like a bunch of cool ones like FF6

neoism

First 5 hours sooo far. Take mind, I took my time. lol I just beat the
the fucking HARD boss in mid chapter three, in the lake. Goddamn, I died 6 times. lol Didn't think it would be that hard. I guess I'm not fighting right
This has been the best first 5 hours in a FF game to date for me. The graphics are infuckingsane, the story is acually pretty good, and I'm liking all the characters, I even like Vanille... So awesome!:D :D :D

aryies

Neo Member
worldrevolution said:
Not sure what they're called in the US version but sell the Chips/Credits whatever you get from soldiers. They are not used for anything and are meant to be sold. Enemies eventually respawn so if you find a spot with soldiers you can farm them a bit. Later on you'll also find a lot of items where the description itself says 'sell this for a high price'.

Also glad to see all the positive impressions in this thread..I almost wish I was a part of this one instead of the import one for my first experience.

thanks a lot!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
maniac-kun said:
do you visit india when you want to know something about the country? instead of reading about it on the internet ._.

Umm...what? That depends. Do you want second hand knowlege or first hand experiences?

I think I've pinpointed who this game is for, and it's not for the exploratory minded. It's for the people who believe reading something off the internet is as good as observing it for oneself.

aryies

Neo Member
i hated sazh on first impression. and liked snow. lol.

how things turn around. Sazh is so awesome. and snow sucks so much ass :<

aryies said:
man some of these fights are challenging right? or am i doing it wrong? on some bosses, if you are not in the correct paradigm/dont have self buffs on/dont stagger (or get close to it) you get your ass kicked!

I got my ass kicked by the first "main" boss I'd call it 3 times :lol (
one in the ice
)

Well, my Piggback hardbound book arrived yesterday, and the game should be waiting for me at home.

I hope the wife doesn't restrict me to only playing it while she's around, like she has for Heavy Rain.

Tamanon

Banned
dreamer3kx said:

Well, you'll need to paradigm switch more later on as mobs hit a lot harder. Plus some of them you have to stagger first before you can even really damage them, so you'll be swapping classes.

Porkepik

aaaargh my IE crashed on the page wich I received the code for the beta of FF14 while registering FF13. Is there any way to get this code back in some menu? It took the registering, sent me my point email but i lost the beta code. grrrr

Site is so slow and now is in maintenance

Shouta

Cep said:
Except for Sazh.

Yeah, Sazh is the exception but he gets dragged down by the rest of the cast.

Mind you, I like the cast concept and their personalities ('cept Vanille and Feng) but development and story elements are just a mess overall.

Rpgmonkey

Starting to get the hand of the combat now. Kinda cool.

The pacing for the gameplay in this game is absolutely terrible though. :p

Sazh is funny, but cool. It's almost like throwing my father into a stupid shounen anime. :lol

fernoca

Solideliquid said:
So this FF doesn't have a traditional get EXP gain levels type of system?
Nope.
(In a really basic way)
The more you fight, the more points you get. You use those points to improve your "jobs".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom