• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Himuro said:
When is this?
Probably 10 hours in or so, I can't get the exact time since I often leave the game running while I'm doing something different.
Quite early in the game (6 hours?) there was also the
power plant activtion, after which you could go back and use an elevator and deploy some stairs to get a few treasure spheres.

7Th

Himuro said:
Then what is the fire cavern or the final dungeon then?

Wastes of time?

There is no real thinking involved, they're just tedious and repetitive ways to make the character walk around. If you want some good JRPG puzzles, Nocturne or Golden Sun would be much, much better examples.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The music isn't the greatest in the series, imo. The main battle theme sounds more appropriate for the opening of an anime. There is a level with crystal water that sounds like hints of something from a Pixar cartoon and I really hope that's not Sazh's theme that sounds like it should be in a BBQ sauce commercial, with the harmonica and shit. The rest is decent but nothing really stands out.
First time I've heard such an opinion on the music.

Honestly, I think this game has the best soundtrack in the entire Final Fantasy series (that comes from having listened to the complete soundtrack in addition to hearing some of it in game). It sounds fantastic. There are a couple songs here and there that I don't care for, but that's bound to happen with any large soundtrack.

Of course, old school FF music was also popular while I've never been a huge fan. I always thought Uematsu's work was overrated. He's done some great stuff, but a lot of his latter day Final Fantasy scores were rather bland.

There is no real thinking involved, they're just tedious and repetitive ways to make the character walk around. If you want some good JRPG puzzles, Nocturne or Golden Sun would be much, much better examples.
SMT3: Nocturne? Man, that is one game I just couldn't stand. I know people love it, but all of the dungeons were frustratingly large mazes with random battles every few steps.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The game uses such high numbers in those hits early on. I dread to see the HP of later bosses in strategy guides and faqs considering how long some fights can last.

How does the enemy info works if I don't use libra? I notice elemental info appears separately, does it come up while I fight more of that enemy or only after I use the related magic during the fight?

What is Vanille's accent? Sounds like if you mixed british/southern (america)/and aussie...I mean UGH.

And add, that she breaks it constantly.

Durante

Fuu said:
How does the enemy info works if I don't use libra? I notice elemental info appears separately, does it come up while I fight more of that enemy or only after I use the related magic during the fight?
I also wonder about this. It doesn't really matter since I always Libra when I encounter a new enemy type, but it would be nice to know.

Zoe

Fuu said:

You (and/or the AI) have to attempt to use those on the enemy.

deathberry

Neo Member
A quick question for those who have finished: What is the max level Lightning's Gunblade can go? I have her Helter-Skelter blade at lvl 27 with 210STR and 88MP. I have shit loads of materials I can use to upgrade her blade by another 50k points. Should I spend it on her or is her Gunblade nearing max level?

Alex

The music is pretty lousy thus far, IMO. I actually think I liked XII's better. Wispy anime nonsense is def the way to put it.

scotcheggz

Has anyone stumbled across a decent explanation of the weapon upgrade system online yet? I've just got to the part where I can upgrade weapons, but I'm freaking out I'm going to do it all wrong and waste all my lovely trash. :(

depths20XX

Damn, a lot of these posts are making me regret picking this game up at lunch. Barely any of it sounds good except for the graphics and the battles. I guess FF games have been like that for a while though so I shouldnt be surprised. Hopefully I can still enjoy it.

7Th

Himuro said:
I'm not saying they're even remotely great. But they're still better than corridor dungeons with zero variety. Any variety is good variety.

Ham-fisted, badly execution variation is worse than no variation at all.

I wanted FFXIII to feature clever puzzle dungeons as a way to "substitute" for the lack of exploration, but I would have hated for it to have the kind of tedious and uninteresting puzzles FF games usually have.

Alex said:
The music is pretty lousy thus far, IMO. I actually think I liked XII's better. Wispy anime nonsense is def the way to put it.

What the hell is "wispy anime nonsense" music? Pianos?

depths20XX said:
Damn, a lot of these posts are making me regret picking this game up at lunch. Barely any of it sounds good except for the graphics and the battles. I guess FF games have been like that for a while though so I shouldnt be surprised. Hopefully I can still enjoy it.

You should've been here yesterday. It was nothing but praise for a while.

Alex said:
I don't remember a single music piece from 12, not even the battle theme. I remember 7, 8, 9 and 10's music pretty clearly. 13 has pretty solid soundtrack so far (3 hours in). The opening theme was amazing. In fact next time I'm booting up the game, I'm gonna go over the intro to hear it again.

lljride

demosthenes said:
What is Vanille's accent? Sounds like if you mixed british/southern (america)/and aussie...I mean UGH.

And add, that she breaks it constantly.

I have no clue because you're right she keeps breaking out of it. I still don't mind her character that much after 3 hrs, we'll see if that holds up

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
depths20XX said:
actually all yesterday and this morning this thread was extremely positive and upbeat... seems like this afternoon the "is final fantasy irrelevant" thread managed to make it's way into here (including the OP of that thread). And from most everyone who has beaten the JP version the general consensus seems that there was much more good than bad. Take that for what it's worth. I'm enjoying the hell out of it personally.

Alex said:
ummm.. fair to say that our tastes are incredibly different. I just posted on the last page how this was the first FF ever that prompted me to pick up the soundtrack (granted I didn't even know about video game soundtracks back when I played VI or VII). Pretty much my favorite FF soundtrack since VII by a pretty wide margin.

Jeels

Mii said:
I'm at Lake Bresha, and already I see how this paradigm shift system will work very well. I feel this system plays more like FFX with active time battle than FFXII. The Paradigm Shifts are set up in such a way that you pretty much are controlling every character easily and quickly while maintaining the GREAT speed. This speed on top of practically no load times and AMAZING visuals makes this RPG feel like the best battle system Square has made since Chrono Trigger. I really could only wish for dual and triple techs at this point. Yes, the battles do start easy, but frankly that is the case with every RPG.

I'm loving this so far.

Agreed, despite only controlling one character, I feel more in control of my party then any rpg I've played.

and ya depths, ignore the hate, there are way more people enjoying themselves, they are just actually playing the game.

Durante

borghe said:
actually all yesterday and this morning this thread was extremely positive and upbeat... seems like this afternoon the "is final fantasy irrelevant" thread managed to make it's way into here (including the OP of that thread). And from most everyone who has beaten the JP version the general consensus seems that there was much more good than bad. Take that for what it's worth. I'm enjoying the hell out of it personally.
Most of the people that love the game are probably playing. I wish I could right now :p

Peff

scotcheggz said:
Has anyone stumbled across a decent explanation of the weapon upgrade system online yet? I've just got to the part where I can upgrade weapons, but I'm freaking out I'm going to do it all wrong and waste all my lovely trash. :(

It's better to wait until later when you can buy most of the good items to use, but basically:

- Some items increase how much experience the weapons get when you use them. You can level the bonus up until 300%
- The rest increase the weapon's experience, but at the same time also decrease the % bonus, which is why you should first get 300%, then apply ALL the items you need to max the weapon (but don't overdo it!).
- After that just use the required item to evolve the weapon, back to square 1.

CozMick

Banned
What a beautiful, BEAUTIFUL game!

Picked it up yesterday but didn't get to play it until this morning.

Don't wanna go into any spoilers but just wanted to say what an amazing game. :D

PS3 version btw

duckroll

borghe said:
seems like this afternoon the "is final fantasy irrelevant" thread managed to make it's way into here (including the OP of that thread).

Oh Himuro! Look what people are saying about you now! :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fuu said:
The game uses such high numbers in those hits early on. I dread to see the HP of later bosses in strategy guides and faqs considering how long some fights can last.

Millions of hp.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Just because someone criticizes faults they see in a game doesn't mean they dislike the game as a whole. I am enjoying it, but there are some very grating flaws.

Yeah. People who are getting worked up about backlash posts, just avoid them. Seriously, it works.

3332065010_fe8904a3e4_o.gif

mcdomination said:
Ok, so help me with this conversion chart here:

Vanille = Jar Jar Binx

Snow = Dudebro

Lightning = Cloud

Sahz = ???

Hope = MySpace Blogger

A combination of every animated Eddie Murphy character (Donkey, Mushu, etc.) + some wild west guy.

scotcheggz

Peff said:
It's better to wait until later when you can buy most of the good items to use, but basically:

- Some items increase how much experience the weapons get when you use them. You can level the bonus up until 300%
- The rest increase the weapon's experience, but at the same time also decrease the % bonus, which is why you should first get 300%, then apply ALL the items you need to max the weapon (but don't overdo it!).
- After that just use the required item to evolve the weapon, back to square 1.

Ok thanks, that makes sense. I'll just stick with what I've got for now then.

depths20XX said:

I will attempt to rectify your anxieties by giving you a fair and balanced opinion of the game.

Game is awesome.

You're welcome.

borghe

slayn said:
Just because someone criticizes faults they see in a game doesn't mean they dislike the game as a whole. I am enjoying it, but there are some very grating flaws.
he's been bitching for like two pages non-stop right now. I'm definitely not getting worked up about it (or any other such posts) but there is discussing a games flaws and then just non-stop ranting about it in the official thread amongst a sea of contrary opinions. but whatever, to each their own..

Himuro said:
I apologize for not being a total fucking idiot fanboy. I'm an FF fanboy with standards. People who claim "backlash" are tools.
eh, I learned a long time ago that using "fanboy" as a derogatory term essentially is just a shorter way of saying "I completely disagree with your point of view no matter how good of points you make or irrational it may seem!!!" Sure being a blind sheep is retarded, but the people crying "fanboy" are typically just as bad IMHO.

Loving the Paradigm Shifts. Real fun and also the weapon upgrades. I like how everything is easy to understand. Hate RPGs when things get too confusing. This is all fun so far.

Have to say, the save feature is Lightning (haha) fast. Going from WKC to this, I'm pleased it's not the other way round.

And why didn't SE put a screenshot feature in the PS3 game? It's so beautiful, I find myself stopping and taking a gander at the stunning views, thinking how awesome that would be as a screenshot. :(

Menus and fast and slick, it's a pleasure using them.

Really loving this game. Bar Vanille still. I just want to kill her.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is FF13 missing background music / a background image when you're in the XMB? That's an oddly low budget touch to such a high budget, sleek production.

Maybe it's just my old one-foot-in-the-grave 60 gig unit.

Alex

borghe said:
ummm.. fair to say that our tastes are incredibly different. I just posted on the last page how this was the first FF ever that prompted me to pick up the soundtrack (granted I didn't even know about video game soundtracks back when I played VI or VII). Pretty much my favorite FF soundtrack since VII by a pretty wide margin.

I suppose so! VII is one of my least favorites as well.

The music in XIII isn't BAD to me, and the production quality is nice, but it's really that "atmospheric" blend of Hamauzu fare that I just do not care for. It tries too hard to be wispy and pretty for my tastes.

Only the battle theme really sticks out in my mind and even that takes too long to get going and mostly sounds nice to me because it's a deviation from the norm inside the game. It's a catchy piece.

Also, Sazh should be the main character in this game.

Durante

Katana_Strikes said:
And why didn't SE put a screenshot feature in the PS3 game? It's so beautiful, I find myself stopping and taking a gander at the stunning views, thinking how awesome that would be as a screenshot. :(
This is true. They could have probably moved a few thousand additional copies just by putting a Halo 3 style integrated supersampled screenshot feature into the game.

Himuro said:
And yet you lack the ability to have discourse without every comment being positive, a baby basically.
Do you truly believe that what you're doing is "discourse"?

A controversial statement perhaps but I personally feel that FF13's voice acting is better than 12's and probably some of the best I've heard in a JRPG. Vanille is the only exception... she doesn't really make me cringe but her voice is so high-pitched that it sounds almost exaggerated. I'm really enjoying this game, I don't see anything that I dislike yet at all and I'm at
The Lindblum

depths20XX said:

Its great. The people loving the game are playing it not bitching about it.

borghe

Himuro said:
And yet you lack the ability to have discourse without every comment being positive, a baby basically.
not at all. I feel I clearly pointed out the difference between discourse and unfettered ranting. :p

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Quick question that was probably answered but for the Treasure Hunter achievement...Is there a quicky list of missable items/materials/weapons out there?

duckroll

Stumpokapow said:
Is FF13 missing background music / a background image when you're in the XMB? That's an oddly low budget touch to such a high budget, sleek production.

Yes it doesn't have that. The unlockable XMB themes in the game are total shit too.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Stumpokapow said:

No, it just doesn't have one.

depths20XX said:

I for one am enjoying the first hours (logged 5 so far) a lot better than the first hours of XII. And I
liked
XII. It is a very different experience; but the beauty, the sounds and the action come togethether for a shawoller, albeit more entertaining time with these great characters.

Already there have been story moments that remind me of the epicness of going to Zanabrand {sp?} in X, my favorite one story wise.

Volcynika

Stumpokapow said:

:lol Yeah. When I saw that on the JP version, I'm like "You couldn't put up anything on the XMB after all this time? Really?"

I'm like five hours in and the story and characters suck. But I love the gameplay and the music.

Also the
proposal
scene was so fucking terrible.

Also. "Mothers are strong."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom