• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Is FF13 missing background music / a background image when you're in the XMB? That's an oddly low budget touch to such a high budget, sleek production.

Maybe it's just my old one-foot-in-the-grave 60 gig unit.
According to the game manual, XMB wallpapers are unlocked with certain achievements. I expect they left out the full-screen splash so those wallpapers are visible when you enter or exit the game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:
Yes it doesn't have that. The unlockable XMB themes in the game are total shit too.

Kagari said:
No, it just doesn't have one.

Well thanks for reassuring me it's not my system eating its own organs, but ma, that's cheap ass.

I don't even know if I have a single other game that doesn't have at least a background image, and I think I only have a few that don't have BGM :/

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Volcynika said:
:lol Yeah. When I saw that on the JP version, I'm like "You couldn't put up anything on the XMB after all this time? Really?"

Considering everything else they did for the game, it's a very odd thing to leave out. Also, a dynamic theme would have been ace.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Is it really possible to 100% screw-up weapon upgrading? I may be missing something but all that loot will always infuse XP in the weapons/accessories no matter what, so it would be just a matter of time before you farm enough drops in case you run out of them (assuming said components won't give you a negative bonus but I haven't ran into that situation yet but even so I think you'll always be able to acquire other types).

Wow. So I was completely wrong.

Once the paradigm system opened up, I was immediately hooked.

Prior to that, I had stabbed the X button about one million times and I was getting ready to call it a night, label FF XIII with a "gorgeous but boring" tag and be done with it.

The paradigm system completely sucked me in.

The game is gorgeous. I can't think of a single company that has the production values that a SquarEnix Final Fantasy title has. Konami comes close with Metal Gear but wow...just...wow. This aspect didn't surprise me.

The "linear nature" of the game is blown up way out of proportion. It's pretty much the same type of play as FF X without the central hubs, which is fine by me.

The combat CAN be frantic at times which is equal parts good and bad. Good because it challenges you, and bad because I never seem to get a chance to Oooh and Aaah at the graphics during fights.

The names of the characters...fuck.

Lightning - A slender slightly more articulate Marcus Fenix, and
if she punches Snow ONE more time, I'm gonna...

Snow - Terrible name, however he's actually starting to grow on me.

Vanille - Terrible name. Terrible voice. Terrible character. At times however, she's completely and entirely gorgeous which then generates a shame spiral for me because I'm sure she's thirteen, if that.

Sazh - A black guy with an afro and a chocobo living in the aforementioned afro...I was expecting this to be an extremely sour spot for me. As it turns out; not that bad. In fact, Sazh might prove to be one of the more interesting characters if they flesh him out more. (I'm hoping) The description of Sazh in the datalog is great.

Hope - Terrible name but not as annoying as some people might be saying. He might prove to be an interesting one as well.

Paradigm system - love it. That is all.

Going into each character's STATUS and seeing a momentary animation of the character only to have it freeze and fade to black and white...love it.

Infact, the image of Lightning in her STATUS screen is the only thing that keeps me tolerant of her.

So I was wrong. I shouldn't have doubted SquarEnix because all other JRPGs will be copying XIII for the next five years.

I'm still not loving JRPGs in general but XIII is so fucking gorgeous I'm simply willing to overlook the shortcomings of the genre, and the combat is fun as hell.

LCfiner

All the posts about the story and Snow/Serah are reminding me jiust how awful it is. I try not to think about it too much and just enjoy the frantic battle system

Just beat the end of chapter 5 boss. phew. did it in one try but there were some damn close calls. a few “doubledose” and phoenix downs saved my butt. finally wore it down.

Launch is such a useful ability. takes an enemy out of commission for the entire length of the stagger.

edit” @ Himuro. it’s not that complicated. you’re just leveling up weapons using components. it’s all about XP, all components do the same thing (there’s no component that’s JUST magic or JUST attack strength increasers)

use natural items to increase XP multipliers first, then start using tech items to increase the XP and the weapon will level up quickly.

depths20XX said:
Damn, a lot of these posts are making me regret picking this game up at lunch. Barely any of it sounds good except for the graphics and the battles. I guess FF games have been like that for a while though so I shouldnt be surprised. Hopefully I can still enjoy it.

Really...what else are you playing a FF game for?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Y2Kev said:
Square ran out of money :(
this got a real life lol from me.

"OMG we forgot an XMB background!!! Quick put one in!"
"Umm.. the gold master just went out the door about 34 minutes ago."
"FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!"

LCfiner

Himuro said:
How do you use launch? I stagger and I can't find it in the menu?

auto-battle. :\

any staggered enemy, when attacked by Lightning, gets launched into the air like a feather. I unlocked it fairly early in the commando crystarium.

sneaking up on an alpha behemoth, you get stagger, then launch and it’s done in 20 seconds, taking almost no damage.

For those complaining about the story, have you all read the datalog entries? The back story, myth, legends, information on people and places is really well written. Everything is thoroughly explained in the database. They even justify and explain why shopping is done at save points. They all explain how Cocoon is warmed and how weather effects happen, etc. The characters, sure, are a bit questionable, but I think the universe the game takes place in is awesome.

Peff

Fuu said:
Is it really possible to 100% screw-up weapon upgrading? I may be missing something but all that loot will always infuse XP in the weapons/accessories no matter what, so it would be just a matter of time before you farm enough drops in case you run out of them (assuming said components won't give you a negative bonus but I haven't ran into that situation yet but even so I think you'll always be able to acquire other types).

Well, I guess you really aren't screwed up if you upgrade during the game, but farming items and especially money later on can be very time consuming and it's better to have as much stuff as possible from the beginning.

This is a somewhat useful "guide", but the best choice is the official guide right now, I assume:

http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10251

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm getting too old to hear black men say "I'm getting too old for this".

Which I've heard him say at least 5 times in the first three hours.

Talon

AlbertWeskerUmbrella said:
For those complaining about the story, have you all read the datalog entries? The back story, myth, legends, information on people and places is really well written. Everything is thoroughly explained in the database. They even justify and explain why shopping is done at save points. They all explain how Cocoon is warmed and how weather effects happen, etc. The characters, sure, are a bit questionable, but I think the universe the game takes place in is awesome.
Codex that you read /= good storytelling.

That's Lore.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I do launch enemies with Lightning without using auto-battle though, after I unlocked the skill on the Crystarium she'll automatically send staggered enemies in the air with her normal attack.

Peff said:
Well, I guess you really aren't screwed up if you upgrade during the game, but farming items and especially money later on can be very time consuming and it's better to have as much stuff as possible from the beginning.

This is a somewhat useful "guide", but the best choice is the official guide right now, I assume:

http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10251
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
borghe said:
this got a real life lol from me.

"OMG we forgot an XMB background!!! Quick put one in!"
"Umm.. the gold master just went out the door about 34 minutes ago."
"FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!"

:lol

Himuro said:
Oh. It's auto-battle, huh?

No wonder. I just did it.

Even more reason to auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle.

Try Attack x 4, I'm sure you will Launch it as well. It was manual in JP version AFAIK, but they thought it pointless so they changed that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What opens the second level abilities in the skill tree thinger (crystalarium?)?

Is it a story event? I'm wondering if I should be saving up some of these points that I'm spreading out among 3 level 1 classes on some of my characters.

DarknessTear said:
A controversial statement perhaps but I personally feel that FF13's voice acting is better than 12's and probably some of the best I've heard in a JRPG.
My issue is probably with english voice acting in general. The Nolan North syndrome if you will. I guess it just bothers me that when I was watching a cutscene I thought I was hearing Liara speak and not Lightning.

Zoe

Himuro said:

Even more reason to auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle, auto-battle.

It's auto in that it's not its own command. If you've learned the ability, a regular attack will do it if the enemy is in stagger mode.

Castor Krieg said:
Try Attack x 4, I'm sure you will Launch it as well. It was manual in JP version AFAIK, but they thought it pointless so they changed that.

Just in the demo, but IIRC, the official reason for the different battle commands is people complained that the combat was too difficult in the demo.

LCfiner

Castor Krieg said:

yes, this. it’s just the default attack. using techniques or blitz won’t start launch.

I love how the battle system is like this fast paced puzzle game.

The game is more like Puzzle Quest than older FF RPGs.

Volcynika

FlyinJ said:
What opens the second level abilities in the skill tree thinger (crystalarium?)?

Is it a story event? I'm wondering if I should be saving up some of these points that I'm spreading out among 3 level 1 classes on some of my characters.

Crystalarium levels are unlocked as you progress through the story.

FlyinJ said:

Keep playing. The game keeps you on training wheels for quite some time.

sevenchaos said:
I'm like five hours in and the story and characters suck. But I love the gameplay and the music.

Also the
proposal
scene was so fucking terrible.

Also. "Mothers are strong."

Are you implying that Mothers aren't strong? Curse you and your patriarchal messages, sir. Good bye.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
This game is really really good. It's a Final Fantasy game through and through, with the awesome melodrama, "coming of age" situations, and the occasional "shit just got serious" moment. And that's just the story and presentation, the gameplay is a whole another behemoth, a feral behemoth if you will :p

3phemeral

Castor Krieg said:
(potential game mechanics abuse incoming)

THe idea is to use 36 Virulent Oils (80gil a piece) on a given item, that will give you 300% EXP bonus. If you apply anything else the bonus will decrease so the basic idea is to buy some high EXP items (like Turbojets, etc.) and apply them all at once, maxing the weapon or doing at least 10-15 levels. Be careful if you reach the cap - remaning exp will not spill over to the new version of the weapon.

What I want to say: the system is confusing and better to have a guide:lol (which I'm sure will list the amount of EXP needed to max items).

Yes, I think the system of talking to NPCs is way better in FFXIII. It's the same as on any other jRPG, you just don't have to press X button to talk.
Pay attention to synthetic versus natural components.

g0est

5 hour impressions

The game looks amazing. The best looking non PC game I've ever played. (Until next week)

The games soundtrack is good, but nothing amazing or timeless yet. The first time i heard most of the songs in the game, I thought they were amazing, but the excitement has worn off and now it's just background noise.

The combat system is absolutely incredible, especially after you unlock the Paradigm system. However, I wish they allowed you to target different creatures for each individual spell you cast instead of one creature per "turn". I also wish you could run from battles.

I'm beginning to wish the game would slow down sometime soon so that I could explore the world and enjoy some side quests.

Skilletor

I like not having music on the XMB icon for the game. It's annoying when I power on my system to suddenly have whatever hangs there blaring music at me.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
g0est said:
5 hour impressions

The game looks amazing. The best looking non PC game I've ever played. (Until next week)

The games soundtrack is good, but nothing amazing or timeless yet. The first time i heard most of the songs in the game, I thought they were amazing, but the excitement has worn off and now it's just background noise.

The combat system is absolutely incredible, especially after you unlock the Paradigm system. However, I wish they allowed you to target different creatures for each individual spell you cast instead of one creature per "turn". I also wish you could run from battles.

I'm beginning to wish the game would slow down sometime soon so that I could explore the world and enjoy some side quests.

Hitting select and going to retry is pretty much the same thing as running from battles.

LiK

Kagari said:
Considering everything else they did for the game, it's a very odd thing to leave out. Also, a dynamic theme would have been ace.
Probably in the works I bet. Uncharted 2 theme still not out either (m0dus!)

Plaguefox

Stumpokapow said:
I don't even know if I have a single other game that doesn't have at least a background image, and I think I only have a few that don't have BGM :/
I am genuinely surprised that this isn't a requirement for Sony approval.

Hell, even when the audio is there, you've got half a chance it's too loud or too soft. I don't play Puzzle Fighter because the video icon has the loudest, most obnoxious preview audio.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Himuro said:
A universe you can't explore. Great.

Also, reading a datalog does not equate to good storytelling as has been said.

Himuro said:

Himuro said:
When do dungeons become more than follow this path and employ, I don't know, a puzzle or two?

Himuro said:
Are you fucking kidding me? Square opted to make a game that is essentially an over glorified dungeon crawler and decided to make the dungeons as vapid, empty, and devoid of any sense of design?

And you do this for 40 hours?

I'm already getting bored out of my mind and 8 hours into the game.

The formula works for 5 hours, but past that, the game should more than mindless battles, straight lines "dungeons" and devoid of any sense of level design.

Himuro said:
This story is GOD AWFUL.

TALES OF FINAL FANTASY.

Himuro said:
I was never expecting it to be GOOD but this is DREAFUL.

Just trade the game in already....did you do ANY research on this game at all before you bought it?

Constructive criticism is one thing, but damn...give it a rest.

CcrooK said:
Ya know, I miss the Final Fantasy fanfare after each battle. :(
Yeah, I said this in an earlier post. I remember them saying that it was too long or something and they needed a new fanfare, but that's simply BS if that's their reasoning. Plus the new fanfare just...isn't nearly as good.

LowParry

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Just trade the game in already....did you do ANY research on this game at all before you bought it?

Constructive criticism is one thing, but damn...give it a rest.

He obviously bought into some sort of pseudo hype train. Or just reading between the lines.

charsace

Played the first 2 hours of this and just wanted to find out if the writing gets better? The story is linear with no branching paths so I am hoping it improves. What I have played so far the dialogue is always trying to push things to the extreme.

bryehn

Just got my ass handed to me by
Odin
twice

Time for a break, 8 hours in now, definitely gets better but I still prefer the battle system from XII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom