• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

7Th said:
Vanille, even with the annoying English voice, has nothing on Terra, Celes or Cecil.
Are you for real? You must have completely misunderstood these characters if you think they're annoying. Terra is more complex than any of the characters in FF7-11 easily. Can't speak on 12 and 13 because I haven't finished either game yet but wouldn't be surprised if the same was true in regards to those 2 games.

CruxisMana said:
Not really all that important, but the UK advert is longer now.

Really? Every time her and snow interact (only up to chapter 2 or so) I want him to call her a bitch and slap her :lol shes such a miserable fuck!

Honestly so far I only like Afro Thunder because hes normal-ish and is not an extreme compared to miserable cow,HERO!!!!!!!!!!!!, Miss Happy and Emochild of revenge.

Banned
Lightning's Gladius doesn't give any ability, however its Ultimate Weapon form has the highest raw ATK of all Tier 3 weapons available for Lightning, etc

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.gif

charsace said:
Are you for real? You must have completely misunderstood these characters if you think they're annoying. Terra is more complex than any of the characters in FF7-11 easily. Can't speak on 12 and 13 because I haven't finished either game yet but wouldn't be surprised if the same was true in regards to those 2 games.

Very much true, unless we are talking about villains, and even then...

sciplore

Amir0x said:
Spongebob is in a universe filled with characters that make his attitude and disposition tone-appropriate. Vanille is in a world where
genocide regularly occurs
beside her, and her voice sounds about eighteen pitches too high and she sounds like she just injected liquid meth into her left eye. Oh I'm sure there's some borderline retarded game-logic for it, but I'm not going to try to pretend it's good writing. In a game with only battles and cutscenes, it's even worse.

That is true then perhaps they should have made her more repressive or just plain ditzy? I think if you imagine her as blond and wearing a cheerleader uniform this behavior might be more understandable.

Also 360 owners is this game making a new savefile for you each time you save?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.gif

Did you dismantle it?:lol

Ive only upgraded that to 14 or so, not touched the other one ive found.

Also I upgraded a silver bangle to max for giggles and now what? whend does it transform into something else?

Banned
Amir0x said:
the game is only battles, linear level design and cutscenes. Literally that's it. If you hate the cutscenes, have serious problems with the game structure and the details of the stats and battles, can't stand the Nomura-style and the linearity makes ones head explode with boredom, what is left?
if you hate all those things, why are you playing a final fantasy game?

sdornan

sciplore said:
That is true then perhaps they should have made her more repressive or just plain ditzy? I think if you imagine her as blond and wearing a cheerleader uniform this behavior might be more understandable.

Also 360 owners is this game making a new savefile for you each time you save?
You don't think a chererleader would be scared shitless and emotionally scarred after witnessing
tens of people fall to their deaths?

7Th

sdornan said:
Then why doesn't every other character immediately ask "Why are you being so obnoxious, and why are you
so terrible at acting
?"

Angry Grimace said:
I don't get what you mean; they're making it incredibly obvious that it's a facade (I haven't gotten far enough into the game to know or care); but I find it unlikely that say, Sazh (who's playing the straight man here) wouldn't be like, "seriously, what the fuck?"

Because then they wouldn't have any twist to reveal later on the game, obviously. I agree that it totally breaks suspension of disbelief, but it's clear they did it for the sake of having a dramatic revelation that keeps the story going.

charsace said:

I never said they were annoying, I said they were bad characters, mostly because they were shoddily defined and inconsistent. And Terra isn't complex, nothing in FFVI is. That's part of the appeal; Terra is just a more than just little bit blander than any main character should be.

Playing through both versions right now. I had a head start on Xbox 360 version, on Chapter 12 just over 27 hour mark. Skipping cutscenes on PS3 version (which is also my third playthrough of the game), now on Chapter 4 at 1hr 30min mark. Anyway, I wish they could have developed Gran Pulse a bit more. I know it's pretty long as-is with all its areas, but it's really where the game gets good.

TSA said:
Playing through both versions right now. Had head start on Xbox 360 version, on Chapter 12 just over 27 hour mark. Skipping cutscenes on PS3 version (which is also my third playthrough of the game), now on Chapter 4 at 1hr 30min mark. Anyway, I wish they could have developed Gran Pulse a bit more. I know it's pretty long as-is with all its areas, but it's really where the game gets good.

omg spoilers omg omg

I fucking sold it for extra phoenix down.
:lol :lol

dramatis

This thread is awesome.

That said, I can say I liked Sazh and Hope best by the end of the game, but didn't feel strongly attached to anybody. My favorite character is Cid and he
showed up for all of 15 minutes in the story and got shot in the face

I suppose there's nothing wrong with liking certain characters, but I think of a favoritism towards specific characters as a reflection of the person's values. I could have ignored Vanille for all her behavior in the beginning, but how she turns out is even worse than being the obligatory batshit genki girl. So treasure the moments you have right now, because later on it'll only get worse
when she becomes the main character

Oyashiro

Does anyone know where I can find high quality scans or wallpapers for this game? I remember that I saw some GAFfer post a link to his site not too long ago, and he had a bunch of HQ images and whatnot. I'm working on a project and would appreciate the help.

DevelopmentArrested said:
omg spoilers omg omg

:lol :lol

Wait, wut? Is that location name a spoiler? Or you joking with me?

jsrv said:
Is the save data locked to your system in this game? (PS3 version)

Yes. Though on a funny note, Trophies you earned from the Japanese version count as the North American Trophies as well. When I completed Chapter 1, I didn't get my trophy. Though the Japanese save data doesn't work on it.

Ricker

Not understanding the Eidolon battle with Snow solo at all...also why do I have let`s say 600 CP points left but I can`t do anything with them...wound up also on the 4th retry of the battle with Commando chosen twice,instead of Sentinel,Commando and Ravager??...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
7Th said:
Because then they wouldn't have any twist to reveal later on the game, obviously. I agree that it totally breaks suspension of disbelief, but it's clear they did it for the sake of having a dramatic revelation that keeps the story going.
If the only rationalization for a character's actions (and in this case, non-action, since everyone should have noticed she's insane by now) is the actual story pacing itself, there's obviously something wrong there.

Alex

A terrible character with a terrible justification for being a terrible character is still a terrible character.

Vanille isn't a happy-go-lucky character, by modern series standards that would be Tidus, and he wasn't too bad.

Vanille is a walking fetish for a very particular sort of person, expect to see a lot of people with moe avatars and dancing asian girls with lolita tendencies sticking up for the character. The rest of us who dared to buy this are just forced to suffer for it.

She's the worst character in the history of the franchise, and in some of the later iterations that's really saying something.

He's not playing it, and despite what the series is for you, it wasn't always the same for some of the rest of us.

I'm playing it however, and I can dig the neon roller coaster of battles and flashy stupidity, but that doesn't mean it's not fun to swing a stick at that stupidity or wish the games party consisted of just Sazh.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Amir0x said:
the game is only battles, linear level design and cutscenes. Literally that's it. If you hate the cutscenes, have serious problems with the game structure and the details of the stats and battles, can't stand the Nomura-style and the linearity makes ones head explode with boredom, what is left?

All I know is that 4 years of previews and then, critically, 3 months of import impressions, didn't prepare me for the reality of the final product. You don't know this game, I'm sure of it. You may be 100% accurate in how you will see it in the end though.

Also the battle system is completely unusual... it's not something I would write off without playing.

He isn't playing the game. He's not really talking about the character, he's talking about his dislike of this type of character.. I think his prediction is accurate to how he would see the final character anyway.. but it's a little like saying "I think this war is wrong because I'm the type of person who thinks wars are wrong".

7Th

lorddarkflare said:
Very much true, unless we are talking about villains, and even then...

Oh, c'mon. Really? REALLY? Get on you-know-where because I really want to know how can someone actually believe this.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
BocoDragon said:
He isn't playing the game. He's not really talking about the character, he's talking about his dislike of this type of character.. I think his prediction is accurate to how he would see the final character anyway.. but it's a little like saying "I think this war is wrong because I'm the type of person who thinks wars are wrong".
No, he's not at all. You're missing what he was saying entirely; he's talking about Vanille as a specific character.

Selphie (FFVIII) is basically the same type of Japanese stock-character, but her actions never rose to the level of nutso that Vanille's have even in the first hour of the game.

BocoDragon

Alex said:
Vanille is a walking fetish for a very particular sort of person, expect to see a lot of people with moe avatars and dancing asian girls with lolita tendencies sticking up for the character. The rest of us who dared to buy this are just forced to suffer for it.

I'll just out myself:

znnc6h-1.jpg

And I think you're 100% accurate. Vanille is a character I like, and I wouldn't expect the wider audience to agree necessarily. She is put in there for a person like myself... I'm barely an anime fetish person but I like cutesy girl characters. Sucks to be everyone else. :lol

BocoDragon said:

I don't care how much of the game he has or hasn't played because the tropes he described fit Vanille to a fucking tee.

TSA said:
Wait, wut? Is that location name a spoiler? Or you joking with me?
I'm being facetious.. although some might cry about it.

dramatis said:
I suppose there's nothing wrong with liking certain characters, but I think of a favoritism towards specific characters as a reflection of the person's values.

So what does that say about someone who favors all the characters?

Dresden

Alex said:

She's the worst character in the history of the franchise, and in some of the later iterations that's really saying something.
Oh, you.

Perfectly satisfied with my lolita complex, thank you very much.

BocoDragon

Angry Grimace said:
No, he's not at all. You're missing what he was saying entirely; he's talking about Vanille as a specific character.
He hasn't played the game though.. he isn't talking about a specific character.. he's talking about a character he's seen in trailers and game clips... BUT...

DevelopmentArrested said:
I don't care how much of the game he has or hasn't played because the tropes he described fit Vanille to a fucking tee.
Oh I agree. I think he'd LOATHE her. His descriptions are accurate because he knows what this character is TRYING to be even if he hasn't seen the final result.

but on the topic of "why are you playing this game". He isn't talking about the game. He's describing how he'd want to punch a character like that in the face if he ever did play that game.

sdornan said:
By definition you can't favor all of the characters.

Someone who loves all characters equally? Is that better?

Edit: I'm not saying I love them all equally but it's pretty close. Sazh is my favorite but there hasn't been a character I don't love yet.

7Th

FFXIII should have used a cartoony, funky and super-stylish artstyle that loses all ties to reality; once all pretension of seriousness had been dropped, they could have made it so that Paradigm Shifts involved full-costume changes for the characters.

Such wasted potential...

Dresden

One thing I don't like about Sazh is that in the opening, you see everyone else riding the mecha fairy dragon-thing while he's hanging on by the tail. Why's the black man always being left out? It's like the back of the bus thing. He needs to put his foot down.

Angry Grimace

lorddarkflare said:
With what?

Pseudo-Intelligent discussion?
Discussing...the game (intelligently and civilly, I might add) in the game's official thread is apparently a waste of time.

I could also bring up the fact that a moderator brought the topic up.

7Th said:
FFXIII should have used a cartoony, funky and super-stylish artstyle that loses all ties to reality; once all pretension of seriousness had been dropped, they could have made it so that Paradigm Shifts involved full-costume changes for the characters.

Such wasted potential...

Or we can not take refuge in camp and actually attempt something with some depth and competent(I.E. Not penned by Watanabe) writing.

I do agree with the costume changes though. Only reason why I like X-2's combat more.

Angry Grimace said:
Discussing...the game (intelligently and civilly, I might add) in the game's official thread is apparently a waste of time.

I could also bring up the fact that the owner of the forum brought the topic up.

Evilore never came in here I don't think.

charsace

7Th said:

I never said they were annoying, I said they were bad characters, mostly because they were shoddily defined and inconsistent. And Terra isn't complex, nothing in FFVI is. That's part of the appeal; Terra is just a more than just little bit blander than any main character should be.
IMO 6 has the best story and characters out of FF1-11. Square tried to expand on what they did in 6 with 7 and ended up making a game that was a convoluted, incoherent mess. 7 was successful though so they decided to go even more in that direction.

To me FF 3 to 7(midway point of that game), 9 and 2nd half of 7 to 11 excluding 9 are different in the way they feel.

13 being compared to 10 has me worried about what will happen to this game in the end. FF10 I reached near the end of the game and stopped playing because I just couldn't continue on. With the exception of the battle system FF10 was an epic clusterfuck in my mind. I'm just hoping the story in FF13 doesn't shit the bed like FF10's story did.

I don't fooled by pretty graphics are great music like some other gamers do. If the story and gameplay in an RPG isn't good it's crap in my mind.

Dresden said:
One thing I don't like about Sazh is that in the opening, you see everyone else riding the mecha fairy dragon-thing while he's hanging on by the tail. Why's the black man always being left out? It's like the back of the bus thing. He needs to put his foot down.

He's not hip enough to be riding with others.

And STFU haters, I love Vanille.:lol

Dresden

lorddarkflare said:
Or we can not take refuge in camp and actually attempt something with some depth and competent(I.E. Not penned by Watanabe) writing.

I do agree with the costume changes though. Only reason why I like X-2's combat more.
I'd be happy if they just brought back the job system. Tactics-style, I suppose. JP and all that.

I miss my Blade-Grasp w/ 97 Brave, Teleporting, Draw-Out black mage one shotting entire packs of enemies. Or just breaking the game with calculators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom