• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

7Th said:
FFXIII should have used a cartoony, funky and super-stylish artstyle that loses all ties to reality; once all pretension of seriousness had been dropped, they could have made it so that Paradigm Shifts involved full-costume changes for the characters.

Such wasted potential...

Only if such a game as above does not contain Vanille :lol Let's sub in Jihl instead.

Ricker

Anyone? what am I missing in the fight with Snow solo against the Eidelon...died 4 times now,one heals me but at one point I just die...?

charsace said:
IMO 6 has the best story and characters out of FF1-11. Square tried to expand on what they did in 6 with 7 and ended up making a game that was a convoluted, incoherent mess. 7 was successful though so they decided to go even more in that direction.

To me FF 3 to 7(midway point of that game), 9 and 2nd half of 7 to 11 excluding 9 are different in the way they feel.

13 being compared to 10 has me worried about what will happen to this game in the end. FF10 I reached near the end of the game and stopped playing because I just couldn't continue on. With the exception of the battle system FF10 was an epic clusterfuck in my mind. I'm just hoping the story in FF13 doesn't shit the bed like FF10's story did.

I don't fooled by pretty graphics are great music like some other gamers do. If the story and gameplay in an RPG isn't good it's crap in my mind.
you just stole my fucking post you cocksucker!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SCRIPT for FFXIII-2

Prologue
Vanille and her sisters Kokoa and Strawberi join up and form part of the Team Neapolitan Concert Promotion Squad. They travel Cocoon doing promotion for various bands, including the newest performer to come to Cocoon, Justin Bieber. Upon checking her mailbox, Vanille receives a letter from Cocoon's Concert Administration (CCA) informing her that the CCA wishes to contract Team Neapolitan to do promotion for Justin.

"Ahaha~ we got a letter!" said Vanille
"Ahaha~ what does it say?" Kokoa asked.
"Ahaha~ it says we are going to promote a concert for Justin Bieber."
"Ahaha~ Ahaha~"
"Ahaha~" said Strawberi
"Ahaha~"
"Ahaha~"

Dresden

CruxisMana said:
At this point, I'm surprised by the lack of a Vanille defence force.
I'd count myself as a member of the Vanille defence force, but I'm too tired of arguing to defend her... besides, the haters are right. She's an annoying character. Her VA sucks and her actions are cringe-worthy at times.

I still like her.

I know icarus-daedalus is another.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dresden said:
I'd be happy if they just brought back the job system. Tactics-style, I suppose. JP and all that.

I miss my Blade-Grasp w/ 97 Brave, Teleporting, Draw-Out black mage one shotting entire packs of enemies. Or just breaking the game with calculators.
Everyone would have complained that it was just old-hash then. Unpleasable fanbase I tell ya. Unpleasable.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
CruxisMana said:
At this point, I'm surprised by the lack of a Vanille defence force.
I was trying to make the avatar this morning I fail at photoshop so I gave up. :lol

If anyone could make a cool Vanille Defense Force avatar out of this I would be so grateful :D EDIT: Figured it out myself.

view_320200_1_1246148937.jpg

Feel free to crop in a bit.. it's a bit tall.

DrBo42

So far the only semi-likable character for me is Lightning. Her personality sucks, but it seems like she feels she's surrounded by complete morons, and I agree with her. I'd be a total bitch too if I was surrounded by these people. A trenchcoat wearing surfer dude that has a militia funded by a beach cafe? What the fuck? A whiny little bitch kid on his knees sobbing
about his mom
and how he's too tired to go on. A wise cracking black guy with a bird in his 'fro constantly acting defeatist and complaining about his age and fate. Lightning is like the no joke version of Michael from Arrested Development.

Peff

Ricker said:
Anyone? what am I missing in the fight with Snow solo against the Eidelon...died 4 times now,one heals me but at one point I just die...?

Provoke her then use the guard move when she's about to attack.

Ricker said:

Just use spoiler tags for the sake of people who haven't gotten this far;

Apparently the sisters are impressed by a good defence. I just switched to the Sentinel role and defended and the bar eventually filled itself?

EDIT: Beaten. Twice.

Angry Grimace said:
Everyone would have complained that it was just old-hash then. Unpleasable fanbase I tell ya. Unpleasable.

And they would all be hushed by the ninjas I have on speed-dial.

The job system is one of the greatest things about this series. All three of my favorite games (the only ones I still own) in the series have it: V, X-2 and XII:I

Zoe

00011000 said:
It does say that, but it's very unclear what that
strategy
is. Maybe it was SE's intention to force players to fail a few times at this point, but in general, the difficulty is jarring and I still stand by my theory that many casual players will quit at that point.

I had figured that it meant
you were supposed to play up to the situation at the time or the character's strengths. So, because Snow was big on protecting, he should be in the defender role during the fight. Because Lightning was abandoning Hope (lulz), she should take care of him during the fight.

Though like I said earlier, that seemed to go out the window after those two.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DrBo42 said:
So far the only semi-likable character for me is Lightning. Her personality sucks, but it seems like she feels she's surrounded by complete morons, and I agree with her. I'd be a total bitch too if I was surrounded by these people. A trenchcoat wearing surfer dude that has a militia funded by a beach cafe? What the fuck? A whiny little bitch kid on his knees sobbing
about his mom
and how he's too tired to go on. A wise cracking black guy with a bird in his 'fro constantly acting defeatist and complaining about his age and fate. Lightning is like the no joke version of Michael from Arrested Development.
I don't mind Lightning, although I feel a bit like I've already seen her character before in this series. Just not female.

Not to drag Versus into this, but I'm not clear on it; is there a connection between Versus and XIII beyond running on the same engine?

Angry Grimace said:
I don't mind Lightning, although I feel a bit like I've already seen her character before in this series. Just not female.

Not to drag Versus into this, but I'm not clear on it; is there a connection between Versus and XIII beyond running on the same engine?

Same general mythology.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
charsace said:
IMO 6 has the best story and characters out of FF1-11. Square tried to expand on what they did in 6 with 7 and ended up making a game that was a convoluted, incoherent mess. 7 was successful though so they decided to go even more in that direction.

Best story & wasn't convoluted or an incoherent mess?
Help me remember, as I haven't played it in a awhile, but wasn't Kefka
captured & in prison one moment & then the next he goes Super Sayien & destroys half the World?

Dresden

Angry Grimace said:

I don't think so. Versus is supposedly a darker game, which in Japan-speak means that the heroes are Sasuke clones instead of Naruto clones.

edit: beaten, and looks like I was wrong. Point about sasuke clones still stand.

Angry Grimace

lorddarkflare said:
And they would all be hushed by the ninjas I have on speed-dial.

The job system is one of the greatest things about this series. All three of my favorite games (the only ones I still own) in the series have it: V, X-2 and XII:I
As much praise as the X-2 Battle System got (we can avoid talking about whether the game itself), I didn't much care for it. FFXIII's battle system feels the same thing, but much better realized.

7Th

dramatis said:
Only if such a game as above does not contain Vanille Let's sub in Jihl instead.

Jihl isn't entretaining enough.
Except when she died, her breakdown was amusing, at least.

lorddarkflare said:
Or we can not take refuge in camp and actually attempt something with some depth and competent(I.E. Not penned by Watanabe) writing.

Let S-E get "fun" right first.

Davedough

My wife was sitting next to me while I started playing last night. She watched FFX and loved it for everything it was. 5 minutes after really seeing what Vanille was about she said "She's cute, but that dumb blonde thing she's got going on is driving me nuts"

FTWer said:
captured & in prison one moment & then the next he goes Super Sayien & destroys half the World?

Dresden said:
I don't think so. Versus is supposedly a darker game, which in Japan-speak means that the heroes are Sasuke clones instead of Naruto clones.

edit: beaten, and looks like I was wrong. Point about sasuke clones still stand.

And that is how I spilled my tea, you fucks. :lol :lol :lol

Angry Grimace

Dresden said:
maqui.jpg

wat

Angry Grimace

lorddarkflare said:
Same general mythology.
I'm somewhat vague on what you mean by "general mythology." Perhaps it's meant to be vague, but I don't understand it.

FTWer said:

That was a trick by the emperor who eventually lets Kefka out when he betrays the party.

7Th said:
FFXIII should have used a cartoony, funky and super-stylish artstyle that loses all ties to reality; once all pretension of seriousness had been dropped, they could have made it so that Paradigm Shifts involved full-costume changes for the characters.

Such wasted potential...

Needs moar Vanille Ice references.

methos75 said:
I know girls in the Military that even when deployed to Iraq can act as immature, and offbase as Vanille does. So nothing new here to me, its fairly true to life I think.
Also there is that voiceover near the beginning with Vanille saying
that even though she was acting all happy to calm down Hope but inside she was scared shitless.

Spy

I know nothing about this game aside from watching the E3 trailer. My GameFly copy arrived today, can't wait to play.

Angry Grimace

polyh3dron said:
Also there is that voiceover near the beginning with Vanille saying
that even though she was acting all happy to calm down Hope but inside she was scared shitless.
We all know somewhat why (Vanille has deep-seated problems, although I haven't figured out the specifics) but it's just way over the top.

Doc Evils

BocoDragon said:
I'll just out myself:

znnc6h-1.jpg

And I think you're 100% accurate. Vanille is a character I like, and I wouldn't expect the wider audience to agree necessarily. She is put in there for a person like myself... I'm barely an anime fetish person but I like cutesy girl characters. Sucks to be everyone else. :lol

abqpu0.jpg

I'll do a second attempt now to get into this game.:/

Ricker

Peff said:
Provoke her then use the guard move when she's about to attack.

Ah ok,got it,thanks guys,my bad for messing up the Paragdim and winding up with 2 commando shifts hehe...and yeah,i`ll spoiler I guess next time,sorry.

Well as long as I'm in the OT manga thread, Verses XIII could use a good Aizen style villain

Smirking all along and trolling the player. It will just be that much more satisfying when you finally pound them into the dirt at the end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom