• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Bebpo said:
You can beat 99% of the bosses in the game in under 4 mins without any grinding. Even the final boss.

Don't worry about long drawn out fights. That's not the FFXIII system. Break -> do insane damage -> repeat 2-3x and boss is down.
Yep, I got the hang of focusing on breaking as soon as the harder fights came along so whatever took too long at first was because I was doing something wrong. I just find it amusing that right at the first few hours characters can take up to 500 with each single hit so the later enemies total HP numbers must be humungous.

duckroll said:
What am I supposed to do? Tell me, princess! :)
2ufy2k2.jpg

shwimpy

Question: should I be maxing out every role in regards to the Crystarium or only the role I actually use? For example, I rarely ever heal with Lightning but should I still be leveling up Medic? Will there be enough CP by the end of the game to max out every role is pretty much what I'm asking or should I save the CP I would use for Medic for the role(s) I actually use?

desu

lantus said:
So I need some help with a particular fight,
Shiva, I'm switching to Sentinel Paradigm and am rushing/canceling Vanguard before and after she attacks, but I just can't seem to get the gauge high enough before time runs out. Is there something I'm missing here?

Uhm I the role is right, not sure what you mean with canceling. But you just need to go into defence mode (sorry I have no clue what the skill is called in the english version) shortly before she starts her long attack string.

shwimpy said:
Question: should I be maxing out every role in regards to the Crystarium or only the role I actually use? For example, I rarely ever heal with Lightning but should I still be leveling up Medic? Will there be enough CP by the end of the game to max out every role is pretty much what I'm asking or should I save the CP I would use for Medic for the role(s) I actually use?

You should focus on 3 base roles for each character, the ones that don't have outrageous CP requirements.

Oyashiro

So is there any place left where I can get the CE guide for 20 bucks? I feel so stupid for not knowing about this deal before... I wasn't planning of getting the guide because I think 35 bucks for a guide is outrageous. But apparently, a whole bunch of places were selling it for 20. Amazon, Wal Mart, Barnes & Noble, etc. All these places are out of stock :( I guess I could always just pay 14 bucks for the regular guide, b-but... dat hardcover...

Dresden

Oyashiro said:
So is there any place left where I can get the CE guide for 20 bucks? I feel so stupid for not knowing about this deal before... I wasn't planning of getting the guide because I think 35 bucks for a guide is outrageous. But apparently, a whole bunch of places were selling it for 20. Amazon, Wal Mart, Barnes & Noble, etc. All these places are out of stock :( I guess I could always just pay 14 bucks for the regular guide, b-but... dat hardcover...
I think they're all just about gone now. You could always look on ebay and pretend you're paying twenty bucks. Just imagine that the 3 or 4 is a 2.

K' Dash

My favorite character is Sazh, cause is the ONLY ONE that acts according to what's going on, he sounds TOO real at times :lol

By chapter 8 hes just awesome.

The award for best character design/model IMO goes to lighning, some times I manage the camera so I can look at her up close for moment, so beatiful.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oyashiro said:

Good luck finding it now :(

7Th

I'll ask you guys again: have you played the non-Woolsey FFVI translation? I went through a transcript of the GBA script just to see if I wasn't exaggerating and Terra was worse than I remembered her to be, I don't think you can even call her a character. :lol

careksims

Oyashiro said:

All out. I should have bought two. Will have to buy the normal version to look through. It looks so nice!

I have to agree about Sazh. He's a likable fellow!

Oyashiro said:

A lot of people in the forum for the guide on Amazon had their orders cancelled by Walmart and were saying to check Best Buys

Dresden said:
I like Vanille but Cecil? What?

Dresden, love your avatar. Not many people know the look on David's face (some think this explains the "shrinkage" as well) I have to admit I like Bernini's sculptures better, seeing those in person was life changing. Cool avatar none the less.

Too early in the game for me to draw any real character impressions, really enjoy the game so far though.

KZObsessed

Castor Krieg said:
Each weapon you find starts at Level 1, Tier 1 with simple stats, you will not be finding any weapon that is not Lvl 1. The upgrade system works like this:

Level Tier 1 weapon to Star Level --> use an item = Tier 2 ----> level to Star level ---->use an item = Tier 3 aka Ultimate Weapon

Yes, each character's Ultimate Weapon has the same name, however it retains the ability of base item e.g. Belladonna Wand for Vanille has Improved Debuffing I, Tier 2 of that is Malboro Wand with Improved Debuffing II, which transforms into Nirvana (Ultimate Weapon), while keeping the Improved Debuffing aspect. Lightning's Gladius doesn't give any ability, however its Ultimate Weapon form has the highest raw ATK of all Tier 3 weapons available for Lightning, etc.

Thank you! That's very clear. Gladius is the only weapon I've upgraded so far, I think I'll try and take that as far as possible. :) Cheers.

Bebpo

Banned
I think Vanille & Snow represent the divisive point between western tastes and eastern tastes.

Why are characters who are happy, positive, optimistic, and full of energy....extremely unlikable to western tastes? Because it's unrealistic? Because life sucks and no one should be that fun/energetic? Because they are dumb and don't consider the consequences of their actions? Why does that make them a character to be hated?

When people played the import it was the same thing. Half the people hated Snow & Vanille. Half the people thought Snow was the best character and Vanille was cute and likable.

Friendly, nice, confident, optimistic characters:
Ryuudo from Grandia, Yuri from Shadow Hearts, Tidus from FFX, Zidane from FFIX, Snow from FFXIII.

Negative or emotionless characters:
Squall from FFVIII, Cloud from FFVII, Lightning from FFXIII. The emo guy from SO4.

Look at western tastes, people prefer their entertainment be DARK and SERIOUS and REALISTIC. Is it just that people from western civilization think that the world sucks and they want their fictional people to be relatable and think this as well? Because the way I see it, Japan and people who like these cheery characters do so because they enjoy the positive and optimistic outlook on life. They see a cute cheery girl and smile instead of going ewww, get this shit out of my entertainment.

Maybe the guys at NoA who keep putting angry eyebrows onto Kirby to appeal to western tastes know what they're doing?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
marathonfool said:
Random thing I found. If you move your analog stick in circles, the character gets dizzy. :lol
Lol. That never happened to Squall.. Anyone else remember running in circles to get seed cash or level up Angelo limit breaks?

Dresden

Bebpo said:
misguided rant

No one likes Squall or the emo-boy that Cloud was, either. It's not about what kind of characters they are, it's more about the writing associated with them.

That said, this is from me, who likes Snow.

Banned
Zoe said:
Does the game not say anything about using different strategies for summons? I can't remember from the Japanese version, but I knew that because of pre-release interviews

It does say that, but it's very unclear what that
strategy
is. Maybe it was SE's intention to force players to fail a few times at this point, but in general, the difficulty is jarring and I still stand by my theory that many casual players will quit at that point.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Bebpo said:
I think Vanille & Snow represent the divisive point between western tastes and eastern tastes.

Why are characters who are happy, positive, optimistic, and full of energy....extremely unlikable to western tastes? Because it's unrealistic? Because life sucks and no one should be that fun/energetic? Because they are dumb and don't consider the consequences of their actions? Why does that make them a character to be hated?

When people played the import it was the same thing. Half the people hated Snow & Vanille. Half the people thought Snow was the best character and Vanille was cute and likable.

Ryuudo from Grandia, Yuri from Shadow Hearts, Tidus from FFX, Zidane from FFIX, Snow from FFXIII.

Squall from FFVIII, Cloud from FFVII, Lightning from FFXIII. The emo guy from SO4.

Look at western tastes, people prefer their entertainment be DARK and SERIOUS and REALISTIC. Is it just that people from western civilization think that the world sucks and they want their fictional people to be relatable and think this as well? Because the way I see it, Japan and people who like these cheery characters do so because they enjoy the positive and optimistic outlook on life. They see a cute cheery girl and smile instead of going ewww, get this shit out of my entertainment.

Maybe the guys at NoA who keep putting angry eyebrows onto Kirby to appeal to western tastes know what they're doing?
Agreed 1000%

Oh, and in before people who do watch anime and think they're in love with Japan argue against you because they are still nontheless westerners who hate those characters anyway.

Dresden said:
No one likes Squall or the emo-boy that Cloud was, either. It's not about what kind of characters they are, it's more about the writing associated with them.

Ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Bebpo said:

But what if I liked Vanille and hated Snow ;o

Durante

Bebpo, while I don't hate either Vanille or Snow, it's perfectly possible to have positive and cheerful characters that aren't also fucking stupid. It's not a [genki girl/shounen hero] vs. [gloomy emo/bald gruffy space marine] situation with nothing in between.
(Though looking at many games it may appear that way)

remz

Because she has a stupid voice

Ryuudo wasn't that friendly, nice or optimistic

Durante said:
Bebpo, while I doN't hate either Vanille or Snow, it's perfectly possible to have positive and cheerful characters that aren't also fucking stupid.

Yeah, it is very misguided to look at the dislike for these characters from a purely cultural perspective, when there are MANY factors involved.

Snow is the shounen hero, except not really.
Vanille is the genki girl, except not really.

In both cases, the have had things either added, or taken away from the base character type that may turn off people that would otherwise like them (I included).

I was so glad that snow shut up about being a hero for everyone. Jesus that felt cheesy. So far snow is about on the same level as wakka, but I feel like Vanille is a more tolerable version of rikku.

YuriLowell said:
I was so glad that snow shut up about being a hero for everyone. Jesus that felt cheesy. So far snow is about on the same level as wakka, but I feel like Vanille is a more tolerable version of rikku.

You die! Rikku was awesome!

Especially X-2 Rikku.

shas'la

When i'm spending CP's to upgrade my character, what is the benefit of hitting the "level up " crystal? It doesnt seem to add any new branches to that particular tree, or any stat boosts? Have i skipped a tutorial somewhere?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
YuriLowell said:

His dialogue even in the Japanese version was very cringe-worthy.

Kagari said:
His dialogue even in the Japanese version was very cringe-worthy.

Forget about his dialogue (damn the lack of sliders).

Look at that chest, and that manly jaw.

And them shoulders!

Snow is a god amongst men.

shas'la said:
When i'm spending CP's to upgrade my character, what is the benefit of hitting the "level up " crystal? It doesnt seem to add any new branches to that particular tree, or any stat boosts? Have i skipped a tutorial somewhere?

I presume you'll have to wait till the next chapter before you can progress further into the new level.

You can only progress so far along the grid in any given chapter to act as a level cap.

Dresden said:

Pfft, what are you talking about. Everyone from the west hates miyazaki movies like totoro and hate the hell out of disney cartoons. Just thinking about mickey mouse just....OMG SO ANGRY.
It's not about writing, storytelling, being annoying for annoying's sake, being unrelatable or especially context, it's about having a character that's happy.

VegaShinra

I don't know if I did something or not but is the NA version using the same trophy listing as my import version? I didn't unlock the opening trophies and in my trophies it just lists the ones I got in the Japanese version.

So no double trophies here?

DarknessTear said:
I like every character so far, really. Even Hope. I'm glad this game isn't nearly as bad as people were saying.

I do no remember many people saying it was particularly bad, I remember them hating the changes that were made.

Very few credible sources actually came out and said it was bad. Just that they did not like it.

qcf x2

I got this yesterday, played it for the first time today. While it appears to be a bit rough around the edges (360 version), the game so far has me pretty excited for what it might become, and that's only 2.5 hrs in.

So far, my only beefs are:

Hope is annoying as hell.

Snow looks just like the dude from this year's American Idol, and it creeps me out.

It took me forever to realize I was wasting time killing baddies in the first two chapters.

Vanille so far doesn't bug me at all, even if she is the most anime of the cast. I have heard waaaaay worse.

Shitty camera. This is probably the second richest world I've experienced on 360 behind the Mass Effect series, and yet I don't have the ability to fully soak it in. I realize it's FF though so this isn't a serious gripe.

One question though,
do I ever start earning XP to level up? Or is it just CP? I think I maxed out my CP for Snow already, so what do I do with the leftover points he has
?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom