• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rektash

I like how everyone here ignores that Vanilla is narrating through those CGIs in a pretty depressed manner, reflecting on the downfall of the characters and the world. I mean you seriously believe the cheerful girl is all that is to her? I absolutly don t want to defend her since I don t like her at all - but hell, do you guys even listen to what she is saying in those CGIs?

Well now looky here:

Gamasutra interviews Toriyama

"In the Final Fantasys on previous non-high definition consoles, we were able to kind of take everyone's ideas and include them in the games -- I call it a bento box system, where you have all of the different little things in there. So we had minigames or towns were you were able to talk to all of the townspeople. But with the HD console you're not really able to do that because it takes so long to develop," said Toriyama.

"If you think about how long it's already taken to develop this game, to have to have included all of those other aspects, it would have been too long. So what we did instead was define what was truly important to the game, and include those aspects and really emphasize those items we wanted to include," he continued. "We had to consider the amount of time it took to create the game engine, which we built from scratch, as well, and so with that additional time included we had to decide what we could and couldn't do."

However, this will not continue for future games, he said. "Now that we have that base technology... The next time you see a Final Fantasy, we might be able to pack in more of those elements that existed in the past. And I also think that a game doesn't need to have all of those items in the future. We can create additional downloadable content for people to add, too. It doesn't have to come with that game itself."

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I actually burst out laughing when that Yuj guy from Nora appeared. I was expecting the generic NPC from the demo and then comes a dude with the hair of Milo Scorpio from Saint Seiya.

Vanille is pretty much needles comic relief. Not only is because of her high as a kite cheery personality but there is also slapstic humor and visual gags that go along with that character. Its just entirely out of place.

Edit: And I ended up totaly ignoring Sazh, his character also provides comedic relief. It just doesn't fucking bother you on the same level.

diss

Banned
Rektash said:
I like how everyone here ignores that Vanilla is narrating through those CGIs in a pretty depressed manner, reflecting on the downfall of the characters and the world. I mean you seriously believe the cheerful girl is all that is to her? I absolutly don t want to defend her since I don t like her at all - but hell, do you guys even listen to what she is saying in those CGIs?

Your post's logic cancelled itself out.

Amir0x

Banned
Scythesurge said:

In the Final Fantasys on previous non-high definition consoles, we were able to kind of take everyone's ideas and include them in the games -- I call it a bento box system, where you have all of the different little things in there. So we had minigames or towns were you were able to talk to all of the townspeople. But with the HD console you're not really able to do that because it takes so long to develop," said Toriyama.

Should this go in that "We don't make HD towns" thread? Jesus Christ Toriyama.

But then...

"Now that we have that base technology... The next time you see a Final Fantasy, we might be able to pack in more of those elements that existed in the past. And I also think that a game doesn't need to have all of those items in the future. We can create additional downloadable content for people to add, too. It doesn't have to come with that game itself."

HD TOWNS CONFIRMED FOR FFXV!

Angry Grimace said:
I tend to start out that way, but then switch to Relentless Assault once I feel my HP is under control and the relevant buffs/debuffs are up. There's not much point in staying in Synergist, Medic or Saboteur unless you really need it. That's kind of the game's battle strategy; figuring out how to get all this stuff going + get a good stagger chain because all the bosses (even some mooks, really) so far seem to have way too much HP and defense to just pummel blindly.
Yeah, I switch to either an all ravager setup to get the stagger meter full up, then switch Lightning to commando for massive damage. :D

Alex

Old FF games were indeed not crazy open world, though there were plenty of good mazes, exploration and things to see.

XIII is REALLY, REALLY linear thus far. Like REALLY linear, it's more linear most shooters.

Lightining: :mad: .. Snow: :( ..Vanille: XD..Hope: :,( ..Sazh: :/

Maybe I'm not far enough in yet, but Snow and Sazh are FAR from depressed characters. Lightning isn't so much depressed as she is pissed off and doesn't seem to enjoy being around these people.

And to be fair, this is the first time in an RPG where'd completely agree if I were in her shoes, being stuck with a clingy guy from the train who she can't ditch, a crying kid, a retarded kid and a guy who thinks he can cure cancer by stating so I'd be full of animosity too. She's Squall without the brooding and whatevers.

I like Lightning, Snow and Sazh though. Snow kind of walks a fine line, but I appreciate his genuine optimism and reassurances even though he's totally full of shit.

Cast turned out to be more interesting than I figured though, especially after all that was said I'm finding it to be one of the more interesting JRPGs ensembles in recent years, although some of that is for the totally wrong reasons.

But with the HD console you're not really able to do that because it takes so long to develop," said Toriyama.

I don't know why he keeps saying this when so many others have proved that to be complete bullshit. The recent Bioware duo especially had very cool towns and hubs. I really liked Omega and the new Citadel areas in ME2 especially.

And FFXIV will of course probably throw down a number of amazing cities.

abombb

Banned
Every time I see Hope, I always imagine how this game could have taken a wrong turn if he was the main character. (Like him resembling past FF main characters).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Amir0x said:
It's just not really possible. I know what I like and what I don't like about games. If you don't, that's fine... but I'm extremely secure in my knowledge of what is good and what isn't in games. It's an extreme rarity when I am wrong about a final product, and that's only when I was missing some core piece of the gameplay. I know everything about the gameplay and story here. There's nothing to miss.

That's why this is a stupid conversation. It's just like me arguing about something I don't like, but never played! Pointless! I just prefer to discuss what I do know about the title when people say "WESTERNERS DON'T LIKE HAPPY THINGS!"
All I know is that this doesn't feel like any FF before it. I knew everything you do now, and it still didn't prepare me for the reality of the game. It's not a skin of FFX with more linearity and a dumb new story... it's a new game.

I don't really care if you don't play it... it's probably for the best. I don't think it is to your taste at all. But then you do forfeit the right to talk about the game as if you know it's bad. You've heard it's bad and you predict that you'll agree with them, but that's different than knowing. I think abstaining from talking about the game's quality is reasonable until you've actually played it, don't you? (and I'm not saying that you have been)

Empty

Just beat a bunch of those tough enemies in Chapter 6 that the game suggests you avoid. OMG those were awesome battles.

Dresden

abombb said:
Every time I see Hope, I always imagine how this game could have taken a wrong turn if he was the main character. (Like him resembling past FF main characters).
The game honestly wouldn't be that much worse if they Vaan'd him in.

Amir0x

Banned
BocoDragon said:
All I know is that this doesn't feel like any FF before it. I knew everything you do now, and it still didn't prepare me for the reality of the game. It's not a skin of FFX with more linearity and a dumb new story... it's a new game.

I don't really care if you don't play it... it's probably for the best. I don't think it is to your taste at all. But then you do forfeit the right to talk about the game as if you know it's bad. You've heard it's bad and you predict that you'll agree with them, but that's different than knowing. I think abstaining from talking about the game's quality is reasonable until you've actually played it, don't you? (and I'm not saying that you have been)

I am not trying to talk about the game itself, only what i know for a fact. That Westerners don't mind happy characters. Many of us just want happy characters that are written well, unlike Vanille.

You keep getting me on this treadmill when you're like "NO TRUST ME YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY KNOW WHAT THE GAME IS LIKE", even though I know exactly what it is like. But, ok, there is like a one or two percent possibility that I am describing a completely different game where magically these features would not be an amazing distraction. But it's only then you make me discuss the details of this game! Stop telling me I don't know what this game is like and I won't go on to describe any of its features!

Fuu

I seriously don't see Vanille's antics as such a big deal in a JRPG, at least not enough that every page has to be about her. Until the part I'm now in the game I didn't feel at any moment that I wanted she, Hope, Snow, whoever to die in a fire either. Judging from this thread I guess I'm just desensitized (or that I don't expect much from these plots/characters).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dedication Through Light said:
They need to give Team Nora their own game or something, those guys (well at least where Im at) were pretty awesome!
You actually would play a game featuring Naruto, Osaka Whore, and Steroid Wakka? Ugh. I would rather not imagine it.

Amir0x said:
Because unlike the revisionist history majors in this thread, that's not at all the way many (most?) Final Fantasy games are? FFXI is an online game with massive locations; FFXII features expansive locales to explore, a plethora of stats and gambits to manage; a story that's less saccharine nonsense (until the end) coupled to incredible voice acting. Multiple other FF titles feature gorgeous artwork that I adore (namely, FFIV, FFV, FFVI, FFXII, FFXI, FFXIV). Tons of FF games feature sidequests throughout the game, have towns to explore and secrets to uncover around every corner. FF is certainly not Oblivion, but until recently, it has also not been straight lines and handholding for 20 hours. There was always a illusion of traveling around a great world (FFX excluded), always a feeling that you were doing something epic and expansive. There were dungeons which frequently had many side paths and diversions, even optional dungeons everywhere!

I feel like I'm beating a broken drum here, but let's stop pretending that FFXIII is the way FF games have always been and that it's old hat. It's not. FFXIII is so divisive precisely because it isn't the way FF games are, and some people don't like the changes. Some do, of course. But that's part of having opinions, no?
I definitely will listen to the argument about the linearity of the game and characterization. But at the same time I just think that virtually every installment of Final Fantasy has had tons of equally relevant flaws which didn't necessarily have an impact on whether they were good games or not.

Amir0x said:
I am not trying to talk about the game itself, only what i know for a fact. That Westerners don't mind happy characters. Many of us just want happy characters that are written well, unlike Vanille.

You keep getting me on this treadmill when you're like "NO TRUST ME YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY KNOW WHAT THE GAME IS LIKE", even though I know exactly what it is like. But, ok, there is like a one or two percent possibility that I am describing a completely different game where magically these features would not be an amazing distraction. But it's only then you make me discuss the details of this game! Stop telling me I don't know what this game is like and I won't go on to describe any of its features!

Come on man, rent the game at least.

Hard to mount a decent conversation in the game's thread without being ridiculed for not having played it (Even experience playing the game is not germane to the current conversation).

Alex

Fuu said:
I seriously don't see Vanille's antics as such a big deal in a JRPG, at least not enough that every page has to be about her. Until the part I'm now in the game I didn't feel at any moment that I wanted she, Hope, Snow, whoever to die in a fire either. Judging from this thread I guess I'm just desensitized (or that I don't expect much from these plots/characters).

I've been playing these things for like 18, 19, 20 years? Something crazy like that, ever since the Nintendo Power with the free copy of Dragon Warrior. I'm probably pretty desensitized too but Vanille is just that annoying. Hope is an ass, but he's not too far from the norm of a iffy character in a JRPG (at least to the point I am at) and has his moments and I kinda like Snow but Vanille needs to be pushed off a cliff "accidently".

Amir0x

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I definitely will listen to the argument about the linearity of the game and characterization. But at the same time I just think that virtually every installment of Final Fantasy has had tons of equally relevant flaws which didn't necessarily have an impact on whether they were good games or not.

Sure, and depending on how you value those flaws, the game will either be good or bad. I do not think past FF games have had flaws as big as FFXIII (except some of the early FFs, and FFVIII), but that's just my viewpoint. Certainly, there are just as many people who dislike FFXII even though that's one of the FF's I thought was moving firmly in the right direction. It's all about what you value in games.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Aljosa said:
Yeah, I switch to either an all ravager setup to get the stagger meter full up, then switch Lightning to commando for massive damage. :D
As far as I can tell, the Triple Ravager setup doesn't seem to work because the stagger meter drains faster than you can keep it up unless you start pressing triangle to get in quick attacks to keep the chain going (which also presumes the enemy does nothing to interrupt or you need heals). It seems like since the Commando's melee's reduce the reduction of the meter the 2 Ravager + Commando setup works best for getting staggers. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Amir0x said:
Sure, and depending on how you value those flaws, the game will either be good or bad. I do not think past FF games have had flaws as big as FFXIII (except some of the early FFs, and FFVIII), but that's just my viewpoint. Certainly, there are just as many people who dislike FFXII even though that's one of the FF's I thought was moving firmly in the right direction. It's all about what you value in games.
It's almost ironic that everything I liked about FF12 got taken in the complete opposite direction, from making the characters 10 times hammier to closing off the game world. I don't necessarily like it conceptually (vs. 12) but I still can say I'm having a lot of fun playing.

It's very, very easy to see why someone who really liked what 12 was doing would heartily dislike the direction 13 tries for.

(An example of the kind of flaw I think are just as bad as 13 having "one direction" would be say, FF8, where the battle system was insanely broken if the player even remotely understood how to use the Junction system because once you figure out how to junction 100 of any powerful spell (which you could do within hours of starting the game) you become essentially invincible.)

Jrmint

What do you guys think of the Sazh/Vanille only segments? Primarily in Chapter 4. I found them pretty tedious, probably the only part of the game I have disliked so far.

Question for those far into the game: How many hours until you choose whatever party you want?

Raxus

Angry Grimace said:
As far as I can tell, the Triple Ravager setup doesn't seem to work because the stagger meter drains faster than you can keep it up unless you start pressing triangle to get in quick attacks to keep the chain going (which also presumes the enemy does nothing to interrupt or you need heals). It seems like since the Commando's melee's reduce the reduction of the meter the 2 Ravager + Commando setup works best for getting staggers. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
No you are right. Unless there is a weakness in the enemy full ravager never works unless it is full an all out staggered assault. But the triangle is a good button to have to keep the combo up when you have a so many actions to manage.

Zoe

Skel said:
What do you guys think of the Sazh/Vanille only segments? Primarily in Chapter 4. I found them pretty tedious, probably the only part of the game I have disliked so far.

I did not like to play them at all.

There were good character scenes though.

Banned
Okay Ami, we get it. You know everything about the game. You know more about the game than the people who are currently playing it, more than those who beat it and maybe more than those who made it. Congrats.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Amir0x said:
You keep getting me on this treadmill when you're like "NO TRUST ME YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY KNOW WHAT THE GAME IS LIKE", even though I know exactly what it is like.

You don't.

The whole reason I started this conversation was because I was surprised by the experience of FFXIII despite thinking I knew everything about it. I thought I might share that surprise with someone who I knew wasn't going to get the game.

Games, movies and books are not bullet points of features they contain. Many things are greater than the sum of their parts.

We can end this though... I think we both want to.

Amir0x

Banned
Okay Ami, we get it. You know everything about the game. You know more about the game than the people who are currently playing it, more than those who beat it and maybe more than those who made it. Congrats.

Did I say I know more? First, you make the dumb assertion that every FF is magically like FFXIII (so why do I play FF, hurr hurr!), then you make the more idiotic assertion that I'm claiming anything but knowledge of my own tastes with regards to the product that came out in FFXIII!

Please, stop while you're behind and just get to enjoying the game at hand: I promise, I only feel the need to respond when people post idiotic things.

BocoDragon said:
You don't.

The whole reason I started this conversation was because I was surprised by the experience of FFXIII despite thinking I knew everything about it. I thought I might share that surprise with someone who I knew wasn't going to get the game.

And I posed to you the simple question of how it's different from my extensive knowledge of FFXIII's contents... to which you continued on the treadmill of "no it's different, TRUST ME!"

You can't answer it because it isn't different. It's exactly as described. If you enjoyed it despite that, it's because those elements never really put you off. You just allowed yourself to be dehyped because you weren't honest with what you prioritize in FF titles. I, however, am honest with myself and know precisely what I find important.

Fuu

Skel said:
The biggest issue for me in their segments is that
they didn't really stop to analyze the situation and properly talk about what they were going to do. Hope and Lightning had clear goals, Sazh and Vanille were just running around so it felt kind of pointless/boring (even if it's obvious they both have their own objectives they didn't share those with the player, nor between themselves).

Has anyone had their soundtrack shipped from the Square-Enix website (US)?

It has shown "in stock" for the last two days, but my order from a month ago has not yet shipped, and in fact I received an email yesterday saying it is on backorder. Website says in-stock. I emailed the customer service link, but have yet to get a response.

Jrmint

Fuu said:
The biggest issue for me in their segments is that
they didn't really stop to analyze the situation and properly talk about what they were going to do. Hope and Lightning had clear goals, Sazh and Vanille were just running around so it felt kind of pointless/boring (even if it's obvious they both have their own objectives they didn't share those with the player, nor between themselves).
That's a good point,
it didn't really have much direction.

Also the part against all the Pulsework Soldiers (or w/e they were called) and Bombs was such a pain in the ass.

knitoe

2-3 hours in the PS3 version and I am wondering what happen to my belove Final Fantasy. So far, pretty much push up on controller, fight few bad guys, watch a cut scene and repeat. Thought Edge must have been crazy to give it 5/10, but so far, t was probably generous score.

desu

Skel said:

Question for those far into the game: How many hours until you choose whatever party you want?

I hated that part, I also hated the location (the one I dislike most of the whole game).

As for hours, hmpf maybe 20-25h? It's in chapter

Damn I hate to admit it because I love the FF series but the more I play the more Im disliking it, the world and graphics are incredible but I cant point to any one specific thing, something is just off, doesn't feel right, feels a bit like crisis core for the psp which I absolutely hated, Im just up to where you upgrade your weapons which is a huge question mark in itself, I don't know.

Jrmint

knitoe said:
2-3 hours in the PS3 version and I am wondering what happen to my belove Final Fantasy. So far, pretty much push up on controller, fight few bad guys, watch a cut scene and repeat. Thought Edge must have been crazy to give it 5/10, but so far, t was probably generous score.
I really do not get the linearity complaint. People loved FFX, and this is basically the same mechanic as that. There was no exploration or deviating from the path in that game, and the battle system was not nearly as deep as this, and the characters/story are so much better in this game. Not to mention how gorgeous the enviroments are,
Lake Bresha
was one of the most awe-inspiring places I've ever seen in a video game.

Angry Grimace

Not to be a come off as mod-suckup, but from a conceptual standpoint, what he's saying basically is what really is in the game.

I have yet to encounter any time in which I there was anywhere longer than a few hundred feet to run in the "wrong direction." As far as I know, there isn't even a button to talk to NPCs, because the only time I've even encountered any were either mooks or those random guys prior to the
Moms are tough
scene. I don't personally find it detracting, but it's easy to see why someone in the current era of RPG developement would absolutely hate it.

As for characterization, I definetely don't understand how anyone can argue Vanille is not exactly as being described. I mean, some fetishists fans might *like* it, but yeah, she really does act like she's been mainlining speed.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So ever since the tutorial told me that using Libra would cause my party members to become smarter, I've been using it on every baddie the first time I fight them. It's definitely helped.

Jrmint

Vanille said:
Haha, it's not that bad. :p
Yea it's kind of an interesting way to do it because they have designed this so that none of your characters really become more overpowered than others until late in the game which honestly is very smart. So you don't end up with Cloud, Barrett and Tifa level 60, and everyone else level 35 (as an example). It is also tolerable because of all of the main characters are so great, except for Hope at this point, but it's only 10 hours in.

Switching topics:
What have people done with the upgrading system? I don't want to waste all my materials and realize I did it wrong. Should I follow the guide for it in the guide or what have you guys done? I haven't touched it yet through the end of Chapter 4.

Banned
Amir0x said:
Did I say I know more? First, you make the dumb assertion that every FF is magically like FFXIII (so why do I play FF, hurr hurr!), then you make the more idiotic assertion that I'm claiming anything but knowledge of my own tastes with regards to the product that came out in FFXIII!

Please, stop while you're behind and just get to enjoying the game at hand: I promise, I only feel the need to respond when people post idiotic things.
That's a whole lot to take from one sentence and so much anger too.

FF13 is not that different when you look at the people and studios making these games and the # of them that have left. Compare FF13 to FF2 and yeah it's different but compare it to 10, which is close to a decade older and not so much. The Game structure isn't that radical a change once you look at it for the pocket of time it's in and not compare it to snes games.

But whatever.

Zoe

dreamer3kx said:
So is it better to spread your CP around the different classes the character learns throughout the game or concentrate on one class?

Spread amongst the 3 defaults. Switching between the classes is essential in later battles, so you'd want all the good abilities to be there.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
You know I am playing right now and came in to say this:

This is the most beautiful sub-HD game ever :lol Holy shit the 578p res on the 360 is barely noticeable at all, it looks wonderful. Such a shame the video encoding isn't up to the task, but otherwise it's impressive. What made me say this was the Temple at Chapter 3 :lol

Amir0x

Banned
That's a whole lot to take from one sentence and so much anger too.

FF13 is not that different when you look at the people and studios making these games and the # of them that have left. Compare FF13 to FF2 and yeah it's different but compare it to 10, which is close to a decade older and not so much. The Game structure isn't that radical a change once you look at it for the pocket of time it's in and not compare it to snes games.

But whatever.

But it's massively different from FFXII and FFXI, and the soon to release FFXIV. Really, it's only similar to FFX!

I am not even trying to claim that the formula is inherently bad; only that it's not good FOR ME. But this revisionist history where we act like this FF series has been one huge, homogeneous franchise, where if you like one, you like them all... it's just silly. And wrong. The series is so diverse and has so many distinctive games because each installment they try something radically different.

And that's a positive thing! It's good that they try new things.

In this installment, they tried something I didn't like and so it is what it is. In the next installment, you might be the one that feels isolated from the title. I loved FFXII, but it isolated a lot of other FF fans.

That's the FF series. I just wish people would stop acting like all FF is even close to the same.

Amir0x said:
But it's massively different from FFXII and FFXI, and the soon to release FFXIV. Really, it's only similar to FFX!

I am not even trying to claim that the formula is inherently bad; only that it's not good FOR ME. But this revisionist history where we act like this FF series has been one huge, homogeneous franchise, where if you like one, you like them all... it's just silly. And wrong. The series is so diverse and has so many distinctive games because each installment they try something radically different.

And that's a positive thing! It's good that they try new things.

In this installment, they tried something I didn't like and so it is what it is. In the next installment, you might be the one that feels isolated from the title. I loved FFXII, but it isolated a lot of other FF fans.

That's the FF series. I just wish people would stop acting like all FF is even close to the same.

But for a long time, it was the same. The only thing that changed from FF4-9 was atmosphere and battle content. The battle system was the same and 10 wasn't radically different from its predecessors either.

Now this is just my opinion and I know some people in this thread will strongly disagree with me but XIII "feels" a lot more like a Final Fantasy game than XII did. You can argue that it's because of some animu crap or whatever but everything felt like a natural progression going from 1 all the way up to 10. 13 feels like the evolution of 10 to me and that's why I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom