• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Truelize said:
Anyone have a link to a good weapon and item upgrade guide? I just opened up the options and it seems pretty deep.
Would like to not waste a bunch of rare items.
Yeah, I always get scared when it comes to upgrading weapons in these games thinking I made the wrong choice. A guide or some tips would be nice.

Gattsu25

Banned
I like the game

The battle system is fun so far

Vanille is the most annoying character in recent history, by far. She also has the worst voice acting in the game, but then again, I'm still fairly early.

Looks amazing.

hirokazu

Coxswain said:
I'm a few hours into this now (maybe half an hour after you get the ability to upgrade your shit), and I'm liking it about as much as I expected to (ie: I am definitely not the Final Fantasy target audience, but it's the first decent one since I was, like nine years ago). It's a lot of fun, which is kind of a relief because every previous Final Fantasy game that tried to blend menu-based and realtime combat has been an unmitigated disaster of a game.

There's a few total amateur problems with the UI that prevent it from being as fun as it should be, though. Mostly - who the fuck decided that it would be a good idea for there to be an unskippable, 1/2~1 second long animation of the menu items spinning around and shit in combat when you select Abilities (or move between any other two levels of menu)? That shit should be completely instant, so you don't have to worry about whether you can mash X quickly enough to keep your attack chain going, and can devote your time to thinking and queueing up the right actions.
Similarly, why do you have to watch a shitty animation of everybody posing and being surrounded by colours whenever you change everybody's class? It's a system that's this close to working perfectly, except you can't smoothly transition from selecting commands with one class set to another. What's worse is, it seems like sometimes it just takes longer than usual for no reason; the first time I really made use of it in a boss fight, I swear it was working perfectly without any delay, and now, most of the time I've gotta watch the party leader being a Power Ranger for a second before I can do anything, and every now and again I have to wait even longer while they show every single party member doing it before giving my control back.

It's frustrating as hell, because it is a really fun system that allows for a lot more nuance in combat than probably any other game in the series (FFX being the only other one in the running), and these are such obvious mistakes that somebody must have noticed in the eon or so it spent in development. They hardly ruin my enjoyment of the game, but it would be nice if I didn't have to add a "but..." to the end of "This is a really fun game".
It's a time penalty for changing Optimas (Paradigms?) :p

Shouta

Amir0x said:
No, it's different because in one game I have to learn a job system, and in another I have to learn the intricacies of drawing and equiping these magics on my character. And in another still yet, I have to learn the details of materia and how it effects my stats. The utilization of this materia literally fundamentally changes all strategy in this "typical" ATB system, as does the utilization of summons in FFVIII or draw equips in the same title.

The subsystems define the battle system. It's a little bizarre to me that there's anyone who thinks otherwise but opinions and all that. They are what they are.

Think of it this way, if you moved the customizations from one game to another in FF4-9, it'd still turn out to be the same game. But if you moved those customization systems to FF10, 11 or 13, it'd be a totally different game. That's why the battle system is the same.

All the recent games have had wrinkles to the battle system whereas 4-9 do not, they have the exact same functioning ATB.

Gattsu25

Banned
(referring to slight pause between menu selections while in combat)
hirokazu said:
It's a time penalty. :p
Yeah, initially annoying but I realize it's in there for game balance.

Also...this game and Dragon Age (PC) have the slickest UIs in years.

DigitalDevil said:
after reviewing the strategy guide, I just dumped every component I had into Lightning's
Gladius
. It seems like the best all around weapon for my play style.... was that a bad decision? :lol

also, I just now got the ability to upgrade.

anybody? I can still turn back if I've made a dire mistake.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, I'm ready to kill Vanille. She's horrible. I thought Saki from Ar Tonelico 3 was fucking annoying as shit but Vanille takes the goddamn cake!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG! Please, someone, anyone, tell me she either

1) Gets better
2) Pulls an Aerith

Gattsu25

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Okay, I'm ready to kill Vanille. She's horrible. I thought Saki from Ar Tonelico 3 was fucking annoying as shit but Vanille takes the goddamn cake!!

1) Gets better
2) Pulls an Aerith
Praying for #2

Most annoying fucking character >_<

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Vanille is not THAT bad guys.... guess none of you played Star Ocean 4, must be the reason I can stand her :lol

LowParry

Relix said:
Vanille is not THAT bad guys.... guess none of you played Star Ocean 4, must be the reason I can stand her :lol

Pleeeeease let's not go there. For the love that is all mighty and powerful, 'kay?

Alucrid

Banned
RurouniZel said:

1) Gets better
2) Pulls an Aerith

Gattsu25 said:
Praying for #2

Most annoying fucking character >_<

Guys, I have a better idea. Lets run away. Tee-hee.

witness

Wanna say bravo to square for creating a bright and colorful HD game, it's kind of weird to see to be honest. I love it. A good way through chapt 3 now and holy crap is the battle system good now! Full steam ahead!

Dead

well not really...yet
God, I have NO problem with Vanille. Im liking all the character so far. Even Hope is steadily improving.

I'm fight after
Odin. Was pretty easy actually, I just used Commando/Ravager and a lot of potions most of the fight. I Libra'd him and he likes combo so attacking him was the secret and Potions made that possible.

7Th

You guys better get used to it; Vanille won't go away and she is the character that, in cut-scenes, you're going to have to listen to the most through the game. You will get a justification for her attitude, but she won't change much... except for maybe
becoming somewhat lovey-dovey with Fang once they are reunited.

:lol

Shouta

Lightning said:
The Vanille hate here is absurd. She is not anywhere near that bad.

No, she's pretty bad. It's worse because she's paired with Sazh, the best character in the game early on. You get awesome and then you get Vanille. It also feels so goddamn forced which makes it even more grating.

She's still not as bad as Feng though.

Lightning

Banned
Alex said:
Yes she is. In fact, she's probably worse.
No she's not. All the complaints about the VA i don't get at all. There is nothing wrong with it.

Shouta said:
No, she's pretty bad. It's worse because she's paired with Sazh, the best character in the game early on. You get awesome and then you get Vanille. It also feels so goddamn forced which makes it even more grating.

Eh. Personal opinion I guess.

Vanille is in every battle where I have a choice. I don't mind her at all. Awesome, a definite member of my final party.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Upgrade guide?
Upgrade guide?
Upgrade guide?

Please.

I asked a page back and got zero results. Is everyone just guessing at this point?

LowParry

Shouta said:

From the first time seeing her, and the time she spoke with..........what kind of accent is she trying to pull? I knew I was going to hate her. Hate!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Vanille's VA is pretty bad. Kind of sounds like she's speaking through a fake orgasm.

Hope still annoys me more.

Shouta

Chamber said:
Vanille's VA is pretty bad. Kind of sounds like she's speaking through a fake orgasm.

Hope is really annoying early on but after a certain scene with a certain dudebro later, he's not bad. He's the only character in the game to get proper development IMO. His scene with said dudebro is very good as well.

I don't mind the characters much. But they pretty much follow in the same footsteps as all the other Final Fantasy characters. The moody one, the cheerful one, the grown-up one etc. They're not really characters to me, more like archetypes - somewhat flat, 2D archetypes mind you. But the interaction between the characters is a bit off for me. Doesn't seem natural on the whole.

Lightning

Banned
Chamber said:

Hope is annoying but Snow's hero shit really irks me.

Vanille though... after Lightning is my favorite character.

Shouta said:
Hope is really annoying early on but after a certain scene with a certain dudebro later, he's not bad. He's the only character in the game to get proper development IMO. His scene with said dudebro is very good as well.
Awesome. Can't wait for that! I really want to like Hope. His
early hatred of Snow
is about the only thing I like right now, aside from the fact that he rocks in battle as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom