• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Hope's VA is quite fine, the character sucks so far for me, but the voice work is pretty solid.

Vanille falls into an archetype where it's impossible to have good voice work. She's fetish material for a very particular group of people and nothing more.

There is a very significant difference in fun, positive attitudes and even ditzy behavior, which is fine in doses, and the all senses aggravation assault Vanille is.

daebo

Okay, I'm about 9 hours into this... Do the regular enemies ever take any strategy or do I just push "X" till I get to the bosses and then work on strategy? I've already started skipping some of the Day 11 part of the story/cut scenes... At this point, I've only felt like I've played the game 2 times. Odin, and the boss Lightning and Hope fight at the end of their stage... The rest of the time I'm just pushing "X" and up on my controller =/

And the CP, I am maxed out... I kind of wish I had less so I had to make tough decisions... as it is, you get enough to fill up all the way just after a few fights.

I don't know. I'll keep pushing through.

7Th

Fimbulvetr said:
Well that's one redeeming quality. ;P

21ka5ph.jpg

daebo said:
Okay, I'm about 9 hours into this... Do the regular enemies ever take any strategy

I'm only at ch 7 but
the toughest normal enemy counter I've seen so far are the two Aerial Snipers and a Falco Velocycle near the end of Chapter 7.. an encounter that made me use all 6 paradigms in one battle.. not even the boss fights so far have done that. Other than that the entire game has been an autoattack snoozefest thusfar.

this sh1t is getting really difficult really fast lol. im at chapter 10 and the last couple chapters have been rough. that
chapter 10 boss(I believe)took me like 30 min :lol

diss

Banned
8 hours in.

I have a question about weapon/accessory upgrading. I am just randomly putting shit together and hoping I get a exp bonus. Is it just guesswork or am I missing something? For example should I just burn all my chipped fangs into upgrading some random starting weapon, or do what I'm doing now which is throwing one of everything into the pot until it gains enough to level?

qcf x2

Tamanon said:
It's just like Final Fantasy X. CP is how you level up.

Ah, thanks. This being the case, why is it that I have leftover CP and nothing to use them on in the case of Snow (I'm only 2.5 hours in)? I've already completed all of the paradigm tree or w/e it's called for him, unless I'm tripping. I figure more will be available once I level up, but apparently you don't level up numerically if I'm reading your response right.

dramatis

diss said:
8 hours in.

I have a question about weapon/accessory upgrading. I am just randomly putting shit together and hoping I get a exp bonus. Is it just guesswork or am I missing something? For example should I just burn all my chipped fangs into upgrading some random starting weapon, or do what I'm doing now which is throwing one of everything into the pot until it gains enough to level?

I think there's supposed to be natural materials and synthetic materials? (What are they called in the English version?) You dump a bunch of natural materials onto your weapon/accessory to gain EXP bonus, then you stack as much of a synthetic material onto the EXP bonus-ed weapon/accessory as you can.

Yes, that's basically it. It'll go up to a star-level item, and then you can evolve it using an Item Change material.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
diss said:
8 hours in.

This is what I'm in here asking about too. I have found that if you add 5 of certain items you get a percentage bonus for future upgrades. But in all honesty I don't know if it's 5 of those items at a time or 5 total. I haven't tried it enough yet.

abombb

Banned
Wait a minute, I'm early in the game, but I've just been selling all my components. Is there any reason I should keep them?

Tamanon

Banned
qcf x2 said:
Ah, thanks. This being the case, why is it that I have leftover CP and nothing to use them on in the case of Snow (I'm only 2.5 hours in)? I've already completed all of the paradigm tree or w/e it's called for him, unless I'm tripping. I figure more will be available once I level up, but apparently you don't level up numerically if I'm reading your response right.

Instead of how X had areas locked off until you got Key Spheres, in XIII you open up more areas as the plot advances. It means you really can't overlevel/overpower the boss battles.

qcf x2

Tamanon said:
Instead of how X had areas locked off until you got Key Spheres, in XIII you open up more areas as the plot advances. It means you really can't overlevel/overpower the boss battles.

I never played X, but I get what you're saying. So grinding is pretty much limited to what the plot allows at a given time?

jiien

I'm about 12 hours in, or so? And I have yet to upgrade anything. I think I still have like 5000 gil, but I never really need to buy anything from the shop anyway so...

Yeah, I think I just won't bother with upgrading for a while. The Crystalwhichamacallit has been enough to keep pace with the baddies.

Zeliard

I haven't gotten to the part where you can upgrade weapons yet, but what's the general recommendation there? Which weapons are best to stick with and upgrade? So far I've only found one alternative weapon for each character, like the Gladius for Lightning.

Not sure if I should be upgrading weapons I get very early on or wait for something better, since I don't have a good grasp yet as to what pace the game doles out new weapons and armor.

Vanille

jiien said:
I'm about 12 hours in, or so? And I have yet to upgrade anything. I think I still have like 5000 gil, but I never really need to buy anything from the shop anyway so...

Yeah, I think I just won't bother with upgrading for a while. The Crystalwhichamacallit has been enough to keep pace with the baddies.

Yeah, you really don't need upgraded weapons until you reach Pulse.

jiien

Vanille said:
Yeah, you really don't need upgraded weapons until you reach Pulse.

Oh, nice. That's pretty much what I was planning to do, but thanks for reassuring me. Every so often, I go into the upgrade screen and just stare at it, tempted to actually do something...

LiK

alright, the characters are beginning to grow on me. i like how we're learning more and more about them piece by piece Lost-style.

btw, why is this game so easy? this is definitely a noob-friendly game. the only guys who killed me were those damn Bomb self-destructs. gawd, i can't believe Bombs made it into this game...should've expected it. glad i could retry, another new feature.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
In Chapter 4, just fought
Odin
. I'm a little disappointed. Everything I read online made it seem like that would be the fight of my life but I got past pretty quickly. :lol

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I just saw the official commercial on tv. I swear it must have been like 5 minutes long. The Leona Lewis song played all the way through from the beginning. It was the longest commercial I've seen in a while. Square is going all out with advertising. I see it everywhere.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, I love those guys with sirens on their heads that go off when they heal each other. Crack me up every fight before I jump in and Ravage/Blitz them down.

Rpgmonkey

I'm so glad most of the chapters are focusing on the Lightning+Hope and Sazh+Vanille pairs instead of Snow. :/

Hope's getting better. Now he's managed to climb out of the pit of hate Snow and Vanille are in and reach "meh" level with Lightning and Fang. :D

Sazh is still the best.

Kinda breezing through the battles at a comfortable pace. Every hour or so something genuinely tricky pops up, but everything's pretty simple and easy to get through so far. Most of the Game Overs I've gotten are due to silly errors in judgment, but it's nice that those can actually be dangerous for once. Despite being treated like the toughest fights, the
Eidolon battles
have all been easy so far.

Tamanon

Banned
Himuro said:
Tips on chapter 7 and the flying motorcycle enemies that use Gatling Gun? Gatling Gun cuts through your hp within seconds and always guarantees it killing you.

Don't get caught by them. You can jump down and wait for him to fly past, then beeline for the next area.

Just saw the fuckawesome scene in chapter 7. Feels like crazy stuff is about to happen.

Also,
I'm starting to get really suspicious of Vanille. That scene in the rain makes me think she's like the human embodiment of the Fal'cie or something. Don't tell me if I'm right or not but I'm definitely curious.

LCfiner

Himuro said:
Tips on chapter 7 and the flying motorcycle enemies that use Gatling Gun? Gatling Gun cuts through your hp within seconds and always guarantees it killing you.

yeah, sentinel that shit. I would use SEN/ MED and make sure I started provoking as soon as the “gatling gun” line showed up on screen. then put on shields. hit triangle if you have to so you’re not waiting for the ATB bar and get shot down.

then the med would heal up any HP lost in the attack right away

edit: @ Tamanon: that ain’t no proper JRPG advice! there’s always a way to win :D

Tamanon

Banned
LCfiner said:
yeah, sentinel that shit. I would use SEN/ MED and make sure I started provoking as soon as the “gatling gun” line showed up on screen. then put on shields. hit triangle if you have to so you’re not waiting for the ATB bar and get shot down.

then the med would heal up any HP lost in the attack right away

edit: @ Tamanon: that ain’t no proper JRPG advice! there’s always a way to win :D

The first time you fight them,
With Lightning and Hope
you don't have a Sentinel character.

Chamber said:
In Chapter 4, just fought
Odin
. I'm a little disappointed. Everything I read online made it seem like that would be the fight of my life but I got past pretty quickly. :lol

I hadn't read any spoilers beforehand, so I had no idea that people were having so much trouble with him. Go go Protect/Shell!

LowParry

DimmuBurgerKing said:
I hadn't read any spoilers beforehand, so I had no idea that people were having so much trouble with him. Go go Protect/Shell!

I just kept running out of time. Just had the wrong mix of class to use as a whole.

Styles

Himuro said:
I sometimes hate the break/stagger bar.

You get it real high, and then you lose it because you're trying to heal, and then you just want to die.

Have a COM and MED paradigm ready if you haven't already done so.

KTallguy

Banned
Holy crap, what a horrible review: http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/214272/final-fantasy-xiii/

The Gamepro one.

Rejection stings. It makes us bitter and more prone to passing unfair judgments on the jerk that jilted us just so we feel better about where we're coming from. I am bitter about Final Fantasy XIII not being the game I wanted it to be. Perhaps that makes me harsher on it when I see that there's no Japanese audio track option and there's not a single town to visit within the game. But I'm a jilted lover; I'm a letdown JRPG fan. How else am I supposed to act in the wake of a breakup?

WTF is this shit?
Why can't people judge something on its own merits?
Anyway I hope you guys are all enjoying the game so far. :D

Vect said:
Have a COM and MED paradigm ready if you haven't already done so.

Yea, this is one way to do it. Potions are another way, but they won't work later on.

Himuro said:
I sometimes hate the break/stagger bar.

You get it real high, and then you lose it because you're trying to heal, and then you just want to die.
just make sure you have someone on commando... you can do a commando hit... then go to ravager to build up the break bar... then back to commando to slow the rate it falls... keep switching back and forth, you'll get the hang of it and your bar will rarely fall completely down even when you take a break to heal...

when you DO heal just have a paradigm with a medic and a ravager and you'll still have the bar grow but you'll be able to heal at the same tiiiiime

diss

Banned
Another reason why Lightning is awesome:
In the Gapra Whitewood when Hope lets her in on his crazy revenge fantasy she's like "uhh... yeah. I'll be leader again now." I like to believe she let this dumbass take point all level to increase his chances of death.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I think I'm nearing the end of Chapter three. Both Vanille and Hope have mellowed out and are much more tolerable now. When Vanille speaks like a normal person instead of the tee hee kawai girl, she's fine. I do expect her to start pining for Danny and sing "Hopelessly Devoted to You"

Tamanon

Banned
Himuro said:
Because people have come to expect something in their own mind what Final Fantasy is after 12 games.

13 undoes pretty much all (or most) of this.

Why else? Why judge something on its own merits when it's in a series with 12 games before it? FF13 doesn't have that luxury.

Eh, you'd have a point if not for his weird requirement of a Japanese vocal track. It's a Final Fantasy game, they don't do dual-language there.

Styles

Himuro said:
Like for example, I just fought chapter 7 boss and could only stagger him ONCE.

a;dlfja;d

0 STAR RATING

You can switch to RAV/RAV to increase the stagger metre faster once you've gotten it to half way using COM/RAV , it won't decrease as qiuckly if you were to use RAV/RAV from the start.

..Or you just need quick fingers!

dreamer3kx said:
Can anyone explain the weapon upgrade system, jeez, wtf?
so far what i got from the weapon upgrade system:

basically... what you wanna do is use organic materials first... from the "creature comforts" store you can buy some stuff... if you buy ~40 things from there (around 3000 gil i think) you'll be able to raise your bonus to 3X...

from there you can buy or use the inorganic upgrade materials... the ones that yield the most points (the garage store stuff...) so after i have a 3X bonus i usually buy about 20-30 ferroelectric films from the garage shop and it'll give me like 7000 points... so i gain like 5 levels initially...

that's what i've been doing... hope it helps a bit... if anyone has more input i'd appreciate it as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom