• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTallguy

Banned
Himuro said:
Because people have come to expect something in their own mind what Final Fantasy is after 12 games.

13 undoes pretty much all (or most) of this.

Why else? Why judge something on its own merits when it's in a series with 12 games before it? FF13 doesn't have that luxury.

Explain how much FF1 is like FFIV, or how FF7 is like FFX, or how FFX is like FFXII.
The FF series has changed with every installment, and the newer ones more dramatically still. I guess people just want the same thing over and over again... which is essentially why comic books never broke into the mainstream. Oh well.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Himuro said:
Because people have come to expect something in their own mind what Final Fantasy is after 12 games.

13 undoes pretty much all (or most) of this.

Why else? Why judge something on its own merits when it's in a series with 12 games before it? FF13 doesn't have that luxury.

Its funny though, because I jettisoned such rigid expectations once I got out of Midgar in FFVII. I came to that crossroads where I was like "this is not FFVI" From that point, I could A) have been really disappointed that it wasn't going to meet my preconceived ideas of what FFVII should have been, or B)I could enjoy it for what it is and see where that takes me. I chose B and have chosen B for every single release since. I have a close friend who hit the same point with FFVII. He was a huge VI fan, but he chose A, and lost interest in the series. It just didn't measure up to what he wanted VII to be.

I'm not saying one way is right and one way is wrong, but so far, my method works fine. I've been able to judge and enjoy each release as a singular experience, those games that bugged me, like VIII, bug me for what they are, not for not being like a previous entry. Meh, whatever I guess.

Leona Lewis question:

Is that her singing during the fireworks scene in Chapter 2? (Snow and Serah scenes) I know "My Hands" is later in the game somewhere but that song is different from the one heard here.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I'm about to start.

One question though. Is there some silly thing you have to do at start of game to get some cool item/weapon at end of game like with Zodiac spear in FFXII?

Dynamic3

A few quick questions:

Does executing a paradigm shift cancel all of your current actions. In other words, you should wait until you have completed all of the actions in your chain unless it is imperative (ie. you need healing immediately)?

Do I understand the paradigms correctly in that the Ravager increases chain gauges rapidly, yet these increases drain quickly, so you pair a Ravager with a Commando who can slow the drain (to retain the increases)?

Thanks.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RS4- said:
lol I just got flashing red lights on my ps3 for the first time ever just now. I'm worried :(

My 60GB ran the game just fine.

Jamesfrom818 said:
PS3 crapped out on me. My first 360 lasted me longer. Fuck this.

Hopefully Gamestop lets me exchange my copy for a 360 one.

YLOD?

DrForester said:
So I'm about to start.

One question though. Is there some silly thing you have to do at start of game to get some cool item/weapon at end of game like with Zodiac spear in FFXII?

That was an abomination and the fact that they have trained us to think like this shows the depth of their injustice.

Zeliard

I think Hope is the defacto annoying Final Fantasy character so far rather than Vanille, since at least 50% of his dialogue is made up of grunts and groans.

Seriously, do they actually write these speech disfluencies and random interjections into the script? One time, his reply to something Snow said was basically "yeah". This is how it came out:

"uh..eh..ah...*groan*.. oh... y-yeah...uh... *grunt*... oof...ah...um".

For fuck's sake, guy. Get to it already.

Zeliard said:
I think Hope is the defacto annoying Final Fantasy character so far rather than Vanille, since at least 50% of his dialogue is made up of groans and grunts.

Seriously, do they actually write these speech disfluencies and random interjections into the script? One time, his reply to something Snow said was basically "yeah". This is how it came out:

"uh..eh..ah...*groan*.. oh... y-yeah...uh... *grunt*... oof...ah...um".

For fuck's sake, guy. Get to it already.

Tamanon

Banned
Dynamic3 said:
A few quick questions:

Does executing a paradigm shift cancel all of your current actions. In other words, you should wait until you have completed all of the actions in your chain unless it is imperative (ie. you need healing immediately)?

Do I understand the paradigms correctly in that the Ravager increases chain gauges rapidly, yet these increases drain quickly, so you pair a Ravager with a Commando who can slow the drain (to retain the increases)?

Thanks.

Shifting does cancel your actions, but our ATB gauge stays where it was so you'll act quicker again.

And yes, commando/ravager work exactly like that.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, about 6 hours in. My character assessments so far.

Lightning: Self-centered bitch
Snow: Idealist in denial
Sazj: Awesome
Vanille: Kill it with Firaja
Hope: The opposite of

RS4- said:
lol I just got flashing red lights on my ps3 for the first time ever just now. I'm worried :(

80029906 error. Apparently the Blu-ray drive is dead. I hardly ever use it and the diode dies on me. What the fuck?

LiK

RurouniZel said:

your mind will change for everyone soon. but Sazh is pretty much awesome right from the beginning.

Lightning

Banned
RurouniZel said:

That's why Lightning is SO AWESOME!!!

filipe

So for some of you that have been playing it religiously, how many hours you got in so far? My buddy bought the game but he's in disbelief that the game can last upwards to 60 hours. Is he wrong or am I wrong?

I'm just over 8 hours in. It's my first FF that I've given a real chance, and I am absolutely loving it. After I finish this, I'll definitely be giving the other FFs a chance.

Zeliard

lorddarkflare said:

It's the sort of thing that works much better in text-based JRPGs, with their heavy usage of ellipses and exclamations and such, than when it's voiced. No normal human delivers dialogue the way that Hope does.

LiK

Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm cutting my losses and won't even bother. I've used my PS3 for less than 100 hours (games and video) and the thing dies on me. No thanks. I'm off the Sony train.

360 version ;)

Kyoufu

39 hours through the game.

All was well until.......

CHAPTER 11 COCKBLOCK BOSS OMG I HATE MY LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!

Not only does the fight take so long, but also the fact that I keep wiping at 20%. So frustrated.

so I got FF13 on PS3 by trading in God of War Collection and COD4 GOTY Edition and I am wondering if I should open it or sell it as the only JRPG I ever played and finished was Tales of Vesperia. I don't want to open it just to get stuck and give up. Any advise ?

LiK

Unregistered007 said:
so I got FF13 on PS3 by trading in God of War Collection and COD4 GOTY Edition and I am wondering if I should open it or sell it as the only JRPG I ever played and finished was Tales of Vesperia. I don't want to open it just to get stuck and give up. Any advise ?

play it. it's so easy from my 10+ hours so far. and it's linear so you won't get lost.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
MiniKelly said:
My blueray drive died as well and was rarely used. I have to play this on xbox

It rebelled! :lol

Kyoufu said:
39 hours through the game.

All was well until.......

CHAPTER 11 COCKBLOCK BOSS OMG I HATE MY LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!

Not only does the fight take so long, but also the fact that I keep wiping at 20%. So frustrated.

Yeah... that boss... the key is to break it as much as you can.

Jamesfrom818 said:
I'm cutting my losses and won't even bother. I've used my PS3 for less than 100 hours (games and video) and the thing dies on me. No thanks. I'm off the Sony train.

Suppose we can't all fight the good fight.

Next stop ladies and gents, E3!

I just want to clarify one thing about the upgrade system.

All of these random different items (like a claw, digital circuit, etc) - they don't truly have any real difference aside from the XP they give to items ,right? The whole point of the system is to just add XP to an item (what item the XP comes from doesn't have effects, right?), right?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Himuro said:
Chapters 4/5? Those are terrible. Wait till chapter 6, that's when it gets real good.
Not to mention the level design, but it's killing me.

I'm finding it hard to like this game, they should have just remade X, since it's so similar anyways :?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
LiK said:
people bitched about Odin and he was easy. can't trust you guys ;)

Odin was a puppy compared to some of the bosses, let alone some of the common enemies. You'll have fun with them.

RPGCrazied

you really don't need to upgrade weapons much.. maybe for the last chapters? I'm on chapter 9

I only did gladius for lightning to level 14, and sazh one(forgot name) to lvl 10

every other characters weapon is level 1. :p

Kyoufu

DownLikeBCPowder said:
I just want to clarify one thing about the upgrade system.

All of these random different items (like a claw, digital circuit, etc) - they don't truly have any real difference aside from the XP they give to items ,right? The whole point of the system is to just add XP to an item (what item the XP comes from doesn't have effects, right?), right?

Some items (the low xp ones) have variable EXP bonus rates. So if you use 9 chocobo tail feathers (which only give around 14 xp each) you will get a 3x XP bonus, so then with that you get 3 times more from the big xp items like the perfect conductors etc.

I stopped last night just after Odin, took me a few tries but it became pretty easy after I figured out what to do.

Is there a reliable way to split up the party in battle? It became quite easy once I had Odin concentrating on one person.

Kyoufu

LiK said:
people bitched about Odin and he was easy. can't trust you guys ;)

The game is pretty easy until a few fights later on which require near-perfect strategy and execution.

Like the boss I'm on right now. I thought the previous boss before it was tough but holy guacamole this one is a cockblock.

RS4-

Kagari said:
My 60GB ran the game just fine.

I've had a 40gb for 2 years. Game would freeze and just flash red, so I'll assume it's either overheating or something about the HDD.

I tried it again half an hour later, played for about 2 mins, red lights again. I'll wait until tomorrow mornin and see what's up =\

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
RS4- said:
I've had a 40gb for 2 years. Game would freeze and just flash red, so I'll assume it's either overheating or something about the HDD.

I tried it again half an hour later, played for about 2 mins, red lights again. I'll wait until tomorrow mornin and see what's up =\

Do you have your ps3 in an enclosed space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom