• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

painey

Le-mo said:
Last time I checked Gamestop is the only place that have it in stock. Amazon, Bestbuy, Wal-Mart, Overstock, Barnes and Nobles, etc are all out of stock.

In the UK these things are piling up. I guess in the states a small allocation is spread thin, while in the UK most places got a fair stock.. more than they need.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Pop On Arrival said:
Oh God vanille is such an adorable character, I love her!!! lol

My goodness, I'm positive SE made a conscious effort to make her as annoying as possible.
ironically I find her cute (as in a cute character not nomnomnomnom
nomnom
). I can't figure out how most people who play JRPGs and watch anime find her more annoying than 75% of the other characters in those genres out there.

borghe said:
nomnom
). I can't figure out how most people who play JRPGs and watch anime find her more annoying than 75% of the other characters in those genres out there.

Nobody said she is more annoying than, say, Lymle. But she is one of the most annoying of the bunch in FFXIII.

Kyoufu

Fimbulvetr said:
Nobody said she is more annoying than, say, Lymle. But she is one of the most annoying of the bunch in FFXIII.

At first yes, she starts off really giddy and annoying, but matures as the game goes on. I warmed up to her, at least.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Fimbulvetr said:

In a game with Hope in it? Don't think so. :lol

Triz

Am I supposed to sell all the random loot the enemies leave behind or save it for this upgradeing im reading about.

i.e. chipped fangs, and circuit boards and the like.

Kyoufu

Triz said:
Am I supposed to sell all the random loot the enemies leave behind or save it for this upgradeing im reading about.

Sell credit chips, keep everything else.

B-Dex

Kyoufu said:
Not reeeeally.

I upgraded the Gladius to level 26 then crafted it into a Helter Skelter and also levelled that to 30.

.....then I found a Lionheart in chapter 12, which turns into the Ultima weapon later on.

Not really wasted since endgame content in FFXIII allows for material farming out the ass and the Helter Skelter I made did help me well throughout the game.

So in the end, up to you. Just know that you can beat the game without upgrading anything and that it really doesn't matter what you do until endgame content.

If I'm not mistaken ALL of the weapons have the potential to turn into the Ultimate Weapon for that character. Depending on which weapon you upgrade the Ultimate Weapon will have different stats.

IE. Gladius turns into Helter Skelter which can then turn into Ultima Weapon. But instead of having atk 535 mag 535 it'll have atk 735 mag 210 something to that effect.

K' Dash

jorgeton said:
That's a good idea, actually. I never thought about grinding because I didn't need the CP... but the money and components... That I need. Do we know what the protocol is for enemies respawning? I know that if I load a save in a room I cleared, all the enemies come back. Is there a more efficient way?

I have done that twice,
one with Sazh/Vanille in the woods, everytime you change the weater the enemies respawn and the other was in the Palamecia in chapter 9, there are corridors with lots of PSICOM, if you can get 5 stars in the fights, you'll get A LOT of credit chip/incentive chip.

In one of the corridors, if you explore a little bit, youll find an exit and the game loads the new area where are some PSICOM soldiers and a save point, you cans kill the, save, return to the ship and kill again the soldiers inside, the go out, kill the soldiers again, save, go inside the ship again... and you get the idea..............

Tabs

Those were good videos, most of which I was already taking advantage of. The Paradigm Shift Cancel seems pretty simple now. Basically you get a full ATB on Paradigm shift after you let it charge up fully once.

Example:
- Fight starts, let the ATB charge up fully
- After all commands are executed, paradigm shift
- ATB is full!
- Execute all commands
- Let ATB fully charge, and repeat

swipe

Is there any rumble in this game? After 4hrs in I've yet to feel any feedback from my dualshock 3. Anyone else notice this?

K' Dash

B-Dex said:
If I'm not mistaken ALL of the weapons have the potential to turn into the Ultimate Weapon for that character. Depending on which weapon you upgrade the Ultimate Weapon will have different stats.

IE. Gladius turns into Helter Skelter which can then turn into Ultima Weapon. But instead of having atk 535 mag 535 it'll have atk 735 mag 210 something to that effect.

Wait, I have upgraded to the max one weapon for each character, and can't upgrade anymore, what tou say means that I'll be able to upgrade even more my weapons? (I'm in chapter 9)

Ricker

painey said:
In the UK these things are piling up. I guess in the states a small allocation is spread thin, while in the UK most places got a fair stock.. more than they need.

Over here in the greater Montreal area,the PS3 version is pretty much sold out everywhere,with lots of 360 versions left...usually it`s the opposite for multi console games hehe...

7Th

Fimbulvetr said:

It's the voice. I like Vanille, but her English voice is just terrible.
I mean, really, compare the impressions in the American thread to the impressions in the Import thread.

Kyoufu said:
At first yes, she starts off really giddy and annoying, but matures as the game goes on. I warmed up to her, at least.

Well, it's not that she matures, it's just that
she stops "acting".

Kyoufu

swipe said:
Is there any rumble in this game? After 4hrs in I've yet to feel any feedback from my dualshock 3. Anyone else notice this?

Weird, I get feedback when for example my teammates are struck.

K' Dash said:
Wait, I have upgraded to the max one weapon for each character, and can't upgrade anymore, what tou say means that I'll be able to upgrade even more my weapons? (I'm in chapter 9)

You can upgrade your weapons further if you use the fusion materials like Cobaltite or Uraninite on them.

Aretak said:
37q6v.jpg

No way. That's my favorite game in the series, but it has Quinna (who is terrible) and Freya and Amarant are nothing special either. Vivi and Steiner are two of the best characters and ever, and Zidane is great, but the cast is hardly perfect.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
6 hrs in the game.

Honestly, the game is fun for short play times (1-2 hours max) but if you play for extended hours (6 hours), it gets draggy.

Is it just me or are the shops "irrelevant"? Currently in chapter 4. When do they start becoming relevant?

Liking the game so far even if there aren't any towns. Story is fine for me, nothing epic but mostly personal reflection and stuff.

Kyoufu

KuwabaraTheMan said:
No way. That's my favorite game in the series, but it has Quinna (who is terrible) and Freya and Amarant are nothing special either. Vivi and Steiner are two of the best characters and ever, and Zidane is great, but the cast is hardly perfect.

Obviously because the best character isn't shown there.

Beatrix!

Ricker said:
Over here in the greater Montreal area,the PS3 version is pretty much sold out everywhere,with lots of 360 versions left...usually it`s the opposite for multi console games hehe...

He was referring to the CE strat. guide I think.

LiK

RedNumberFive said:
They need to crank that up for the US! I have red blooded american MAN HANDS, not wussy little japanese appendages!
Enchanted Arms and LO had pretty fantastic rumble during the battles. Loved the feel during certain attacks, esp EA

Dead

well not really...yet
borghe said:
nomnom
what I find even stranger is people somehow finding the plot incomprehensible without reading the datalog. It's pretty damn straight forward...

I mean, are we playing the same game? So far, the datalog is just a a lot stating the obvious, and aside from location descriptions, which have no place in the narrative anyways, Im a bit hard pressed to find something that I wouldnt have known without it...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Am I the only one that thought that the Chapter 5 endboss
looked just like a mechanical Bulbasaur
?

:lol

LiK

borghe said:
nomnom
It's her English voice, fakeass hyper chick doesn't work. Glad to hear she settles down later

Kyoufu

LiK said:
It's her English voice, fakeass hyper chick doesn't work. Glad to hear she settles down later

She definitely does settle down, but my hyperness was heightened instead when I saw that her l'Cie brand was

ON HER ASS!

I've never been so ashamed of myself until that moment ;(

LiK

Kyoufu said:
She definitely does settle down, but my hyperness was heightened instead when I saw that her l'Cie brand was

ON HER ASS!

I've never been so ashamed of myself until that moment ;(
I think it was on her thigh...

Pappasman

Dead said:
I mean, are we playing the same game? So far, the datalog is just a a lot stating the obvious, and aside from location descriptions, which have no place in the narrative anyways, Im a bit hard pressed to find something that I wouldnt have known without it...
I'm only at the
Mountain area after the plane crash
but I think they could have explained more. Like what sanctum fal'cies are and what Eden is. The backstory of the characters could have been explained a bit more. I never would have known sazh was a pilot without the datalog.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Supposedly they toned down the rumble in the western release?

Edit:

Vibration
Many people have claimed that there is no vibration in the English PS3 version of FFXIII. This is untrue. However, how powerful the vibration is has been changed dramatically. You seldom feel it during gameplay and when you do, it's so weak it's barely worth having. This is the first game I've played where the vibration is at such a low frequency I can actually hear the motor inside my controller struggling.

Save Points
An extremely minor problem but I assume some of you have come across it. In the Japanese release, when you exit the save menu, you could hold down the analogue stick while the screen quickly switched back to gameplay and you'd immediately start running. Now if you do that you'll stay motionless. You have to release the analogue stick and then try again.

Shroud Menu
Known as the Smoke Menu in the Japanese release, you could run around with it open and use it at the most opportune moment. Now when you press L1 to open the shroud menu you can't move. This means you have to make sure you're the perfect distance from your target to use an aerosol or the time limit will run out and you'll end up wasting it. This gets especially annoying later in the game. Several times I've had to get so close to an enemy that I've alerted them and not had enough time to fumble through the menu.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
The very beginning was a little confusing without the data log. It wasn't clear to me that lightning and Sazh didn't know each other. Why people were fighting wasn't clear. Was this new or an ongiong war etc. The outline of the world wasn't well explained in the beginning.

Now granted most of this stuff gets cleared up later even without the datalog, but there were a lot of unanswered questions without it in the first chapter.

Triz said:

:lol You should have seen the look on my face when I went to buy a phoenix down and only had 1500 to my name after playing for seven hours and not spent a single Gil yet.

painey

slayn said:
The very beginning was a little confusing without the data log. It wasn't clear to me that lightning and Sazh didn't know each other. Why people were fighting wasn't clear. Was this new or an ongiong war etc. The outline of the world wasn't well explained in the beginning.

Now granted most of this stuff gets cleared up later even without the datalog, but there were a lot of unanswered questions without it in the first chapter.

If you don't read the datalog I doubt you would even know Hope hates Snow.

MechaX

F#A#Oo said:
Why is Hope blaming Snow? Such a retard...his mum fucking volunteered...how is it Snows fault she got blown away?:lol

In Hope's defense, even allowing a bunch of untrained civilians to fight against giant mechanical scorpions and stormtroopers wasn't one of Snow's brightest moments.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
F#A#Oo said:
Why is Hope blaming Snow? Such a retard...his mum fucking volunteered...how is it Snows fault she got blown away?:lol
Because he's a dumb kid. I think everyone can tell his logic is beyond idiotic, but you just have to deal with it until he hopefully finally gets around to bothering Snow about it and then shutting up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is the first time I think Square has ever nerfed some of the interface elements in the JP -> US port. Shrouds can't be activated while moving. That's retarded.

forgrim

Angry Grimace said:
Am I the only one that thought that the Chapter 5 endboss
looked just like a mechanical Bulbasaur
?

:lol

LOL, my girlfriend ran to the room to see what i was yelling about cuz i was yelling
BULBASAUR BULBASAURA
during that fight lol.

LCfiner said:
for what it's worth, I like her.

yeah, she's Cloud+ but that doesn't bug me and she warms up enough around 8 hours in.

yeah she warms up but i didn't appreciate the fact that she started to sound like yoda with some of her quips to hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom