• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

F#A#Oo

Banned
MechaX said:
In Hope's defense, even allowing a bunch of untrained civilians to fight against giant mechanical scorpions and stormtroopers wasn't one of Snow's brightest moments.

Yes...I just think who ever wrote this side of the story is truly stupid...unless it's a japanese thing and it's been lost in translation.

Dresden

MechaX said:
In Hope's defense, even allowing a bunch of untrained civilians to fight against giant mechanical scorpions and stormtroopers wasn't one of Snow's brightest moments.
Seriously. Hope isn't the brightest kid around, but Snow is a dumbass, too. I like them both but if it falls on these two retards to save the world, I don't know, I'd bet on the world getting destroyed.

I'd just take a party with 5 Sazh's and one Vanille (with her voice muted).

slayn said:
The very beginning was a little confusing without the data log. It wasn't clear to me that lightning and Sazh didn't know each other. Why people were fighting wasn't clear. Was this new or an ongiong war etc. The outline of the world wasn't well explained in the beginning.

Now granted most of this stuff gets cleared up later even without the datalog, but there were a lot of unanswered questions without it in the first chapter.
Agreed. They tried to cram too much in. I didn't know Sazh tagged along Lightning in the train either. Thought he was her partner. There are tons of terms thrown out too: Cocoon, Pulse, PSICOMS, Guardian Corps, L'cie, Fal'cie, etc etc. I think I spent an hour in the datalog. As much as I loved the opening, it doesn't beat the FF7 opening. You were just a dude on a mission, and nothing else mattered. But two hours in, you know about everything you need to know about the lore/mythology.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dresden said:
Seriously. Hope isn't the brightest kid around, but Snow is a dumbass, too. I like them both but if it falls on these two retards to save the world, I don't know, I'd bet on the world getting destroyed.

I'd just take a party with 5 Sazh's and one Vanille (with her voice muted).
I have to imagine a party with 6 Lightnings would only be like a 3 hour game.

No hugging, no learning, just pure ass kickery.

Zoe

RustyNails said:
Agreed. They tried to cram too much in. I didn't know Sazh tagged along Lightning in the train either. Thought he was her partner.

That's a cutscene later on

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
RustyNails said:
This is true mang. I had no idea why Hope wanted to go to Vestige or what he wanted to tell Snow. Vanille acting like a retard didn't help one iota.
Vanille's urging made it seem like he was confessing a crush on Snow. It was weird, I'll agree. I already knew from the promos that he was mad at Snow, so I inferred it (and I can see how a person who didn't know might) but his behavior was a little weird.

Angry Grimace said:
Because he's a dumb kid. I think everyone can tell his logic is beyond idiotic, but you just have to deal with it until he hopefully finally gets around to bothering Snow about it and then shutting up.
My wish is that Hope eventually tries to test his manhood against Snow and winds up with an AC Transit situation on his hands.

Paznos

MechaX said:
Hope's mom didn't have to volunteer herself though :p

Angry Grimace said:
Vanille's urging made it seem like he was confessing a crush on Snow. It was weird, I'll agree. I already knew from the promos that he was mad at Snow, so I inferred it (and I can see how a person who didn't know might) but his behavior was a little weird.
Ah. I was on media blackout for FF13, except the core running around and battle demos. But you're 100% right about Hope seemingly having mancrush on Snow :D

Kyoufu said:
Erm what? lol

He makes that pretty clear in the bajillion scenes of him being emo.

Not really. Hope seems more like a kid who just met his idol for the first time and is star-struck. He seems more like he's crushing on Snow or just doesn't know what to say rather than being insanely angry with him.

Angry Grimace

Paznos said:
Hope's mom didn't have to volunteer herself though :p
For the record, it was Steroid Wakka's idea, although Osaka Whore was also encouraging it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Y2Kev said:
This is the first time I think Square has ever nerfed some of the interface elements in the JP -> US port. Shrouds can't be activated while moving. That's retarded.
I'm about 4 hours in (Chapter 3), and I instinctively wanted to hold L1 while still running and select a shroud. I was very disappointed when I couldn't, and I'm even more peeved now knowing that the JPN version had that functionality in place.

Dead

well not really...yet
RustyNails said:
This is true mang. I had no idea why Hope wanted to go to Vestige or what he wanted to tell Snow. Vanille acting like a retard didn't help one iota.
again.....seriously???

Its so obviously spelled out!

blurredvision said:
Not really. Hope seems more like a kid who just met his idol for the first time and is star-struck. He seems more like he's crushing on Snow or just doesn't know what to say rather than being insanely angry with him.

You're not serious, right? I think it was pretty clear he wants to kill the guy from the second he meets him.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
you guys are all fucking reaching. I didn't know shit about the game before playing and given the circumstances to me it was instantly obvious what was going on between Snow and Hope... you guys think about shit way too much.

borghe said:
you guys are all fucking reaching. I didn't know shit about the game before playing and given the circumstances to me it was instantly obvious what was going on between Snow and Hope... you guys think about shit way too much.

I think the story is pretty much incomprehensible, but even I got the picture about the Snow / Hope conflict.

Coxswain

MechaX said:
I dunno, it might be; Snow is pretty retarded.

Actually, my favourite part about that is that she falls, and then Snow falls in the exact same place, except he just gets up like it was nothing. I figure what we didn't see was that she was laying there, alive but with a broken leg or something, and broke his fall when Snow landed, popping her like a ripe grape. If you think about it, that closes a lot of plot holes.

So, played about 3 hours last night. Story is what I expected, which isn't much. Combat sucks so far. Just mash on x until it ends. Hopefully it gets a lot better, and soon. VO is actually ok, but I would have loved to have had Japanese VO.

Vanille is annoying as hell.

cnizzle06

Banned
Is it wrong of me to despise every single character? With the exception of Lightning, although her constant pms'ing is beginning to get to me.

Angry Grimace

Coxswain said:

Actually, my favourite part about that is that she falls, and then Snow falls in the exact same place, except he just gets up like it was nothing. I figure what we didn't see was that she was laying there, alive but with a broken leg or something, and broke his fall when Snow landed, popping her like a ripe grape. If you think about it, that closes a lot of plot holes.
It's not so much that I couldn't tell what his problem was (based on him the game cutting to his reaction a few times during the whole scene) but more that he was acting nothing like someone obsessed with revenge, and it seemed strange that Vanille was encouraging him like that.

Zeliard

painey said:
everyone has 3 set roles, near the end you can put points in to ANY role, but the "new" roles need lots and lots of CP for little reward. If you try to turn your Snow into a medic, he will need lots of CP to be a weak medic, and when you add him to your battle party the AI might auto assign him to be a medic, which isnt very useful.

An issue that would be easily remedied if the game didn't treat the player like a fucking idiot and hold his hand for nearly the entire game, making almost every important strategic battle decision for them.

I enjoy the game but it is very easy for me to see how it's been getting scores as low as 5/10. Such dumb fucking design decisions in this one.

cnizzle06

Banned
MechaX said:

But but but he's a HEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sarye

borghe said:

for what it's worth I wouldn't have known Hope was angry at Snow in the beginning if it wasn't for the Datalog. I think it's a Japanese thing. I noticed a lot in anime (bad source, I know) that this crap happens a lot. If I didn't know any better, I would think it was weird for Hope to have difficulty showing his emotions to Snow.

cnizzle06

Banned
Also, and maybe it'll get better, but the combat system is so simplistic. It's as follows:

X X X X X X X X, whoops, getting low on health, paradigm shift, X X X X X X X X X, Paradigm shift, X X X X X X X, begin to daze, X X X X X X

Coxswain

Angry Grimace said:
It's not so much that I couldn't tell what his problem was (based on him the game cutting to his reaction a few times during the whole scene) but more that he was acting nothing like someone obsessed with revenge, and it seemed strange that Vanille was encouraging him like that.
Well, I also think that when his parents named him Hope, it was short for "Hope this fucking kid finishes one sentence in his life without stuttering or trailing off".

Seriously, he can't even talk for the first five hours of the game. You're setting the bar way too high for him if you want him to display believable behaviour. Just be glad he remembers that you can't walk by stepping with the same foot more than once in a row. Achievable goals.

Doc Evils

Vanille's voice actor needs to be banned from voice acting ever again.

SE script writers need to be banned from writing stories.

SE level designers need to be banned from designing games.

F#A#Oo

Banned
blurredvision said:

He out right says he wants vengeance...Project NORA etc...Lightning also convinces him to include the Sanctum in this too...within literally a second.:lol

cosmicblizzard said:
You're not serious, right? I think it was pretty clear he wants to kill the guy from the second he meets him.

Yeah, I'm 100% serious. In no way does the animations or voice acting make it seem like Hope is uber-angry when you're first introduced to them. I'm sure I would've figured it out at some point without reading the datalogs, but I think earlier on, Square did a horrible job at having Hope express any kind of anger whatsoever. He's no more than a scared kid with a stuttering problem.

Sarye

Coxswain said:

I... I guess Moms aren't tough. Hope should be mad at his mom for being a liar.

Yeah that part didn't make sense to me. Maybe she was already injured from the blast or something but I try not to think about it... it'll hurt my brain too much.

7Th

Well, there is something about Vanille's insistence on getting Hope to fly the airbike into Anima's lair that isn't very clear in the game itself but is more a lot more understandable after going through the light novel:
she wasn't really doing it out of good-will for Hope, she was just using Hope to see if Fang was waiting for her inside the ruins; she didn't do it before because, being from Pulse, she doesn't know how to ride an airbike and couldn't find anyone that would give her a lift because it's very, very hard to find people in Cocoon that would willingly get close to a fal'Cie.

Yeah, the game is full of relatively simple and silly but still long-winded and convoluted explanations like that.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Sarye said:
for what it's worth I wouldn't have known Hope was angry at Snow in the beginning if it wasn't for the Datalog. I think it's a Japanese thing. I noticed a lot in anime (bad source, I know) that this crap happens a lot. If I didn't know any better, I would think it was weird for Hope to have difficulty showing his emotions to Snow.
really?

when he didn't want the gun? when he was angry that his mom went with? when he saw snow drop his mom and his mom died? it really came out of left field for you?

I'll forgive the awkwardness of Vanille pushing him to confront him, but I just took that as Vanille innocently trying to get them to talk. As for Hope's reluctance to confront him... gee... a 12 year old kid or whatever being reluctant to confront what is essentially a soldier leading a refugee army out of exile.. yeah, I'd be a little hesitant to confront him also. :p

I mean I guess.. but to me it seemed almost ridiculously straight forward.

cnizzle06

Banned
Doc Evils said:
Vanille's voice actor needs to be banned from voice acting ever again.

SE script writers need to be banned from writing stories.

SE level designers need to be banned from designing games.

Please don't bring me out of my denial. I spent 60 bucks. MUST. LIKE. GAME.

Dead

well not really...yet
borghe said:
really?

when he didn't want the gun? when he was angry that his mom went with? when he saw snow drop his mom and his mom died? it really came out of left field for you?

I'll forgive the awkwardness of Vanille pushing him to confront him, but I just took that as Vanille innocently trying to get them to talk. As for Hope's reluctance to confront him... gee... a 12 year old kid or whatever being reluctant to confront what is essentially a soldier leading a refugee army out of exile.. yeah, I'd be a little hesitant to confront him also. :p

I mean I guess.. but to me it seemed almost ridiculously straight forward.
Thats because it is :lol

Sarye said:

Also did you not pay attention at all during the opening. Hope was right beside his mother when she went to go fight. And then he saw her die and was like NOOOOOOOOOO, and automatically blamed Snow for killing her which if he had half of a functioning brain he would know he tried his best to save her.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
cnizzle06 said:
Also, and maybe it'll get better, but the combat system is so simplistic. It's as follows:

X X X X X X X X, whoops, getting low on health, paradigm shift, X X X X X X X X X, Paradigm shift, X X X X X X X, begin to daze, X X X X X X
As opposed to in previous Final Fantasy's where it was as follows:

• Attack -> X
  • Magic -> Pick a Magic -> X
  • Summon -> Pick a Summon -> X
  • Steal -> X
  • Item -> Pick an Item -> X

Those weren't exactly "complex" systems that I remember.

blurredvision said:
Yeah, I'm 100% serious. In no way does the animations or voice acting make it seem like Hope is uber-angry when you're first introduced to them. I'm sure I would've figured it out at some point without reading the datalogs, but I think earlier on, Square did a horrible job at having Hope express any kind of anger whatsoever. He's no more than a scared kid with a stuttering problem.

You don't think him clenching his fists every time he met the guy was because he hated him? Is that something people do when they "meet their idol"? All he seemed like was a kid unsure of himself that wanted to tell Snow he's an asshole. I really don't see how you can interpret it any other way.

lljride

forgrim said:
yeah she warms up but i didn't appreciate the fact that she started to sound like yoda with some of her quips to hope.

:lol She sounded just like Xavier: Renegade Angel to me last night, probably in the same scene you're thinking of since it was with her and Hope too.

F#A#Oo said:
He out right says he wants vengeance...Project NORA etc...Lightning also convinces him to include the Sanctum in this too...within literally a second.:lol

I don't remember any words like "vengeance" being put into play when you first meet Hope and Vanille. It's simply Vanille telling him to cheer up and move on, then trying to push him towards Snow to say something. They don't tell you what that something is unless you read the datalog.

Pooya

gameinformer
The currently announced Fabula Nova Crystalis titles are Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and Final Fantasy Agito XIII. Do these games represent the entirety of the project?
YK: Please look forward to future announcements.

Dead said:
again.....seriously???

Its so obviously spelled out!
No really. I honestly thought that Hope had some kind of secret information about the purge or something, which he was afraid to share. Him being angry at Snow was only apparent after he says it himself. But I did think for a second or two that maybe he's mad at Snow for killing his mum. But again, his expressions and Vanille's cheery nature over such a morose topic made me think otherwise.

cnizzle06

Banned
reilo said:
As opposed to in previous Final Fantasy's where it was as follows:

• Attack -> X
  • Magic -> Pick a Magic -> X
  • Summon -> Pick a Summon -> X
  • Steal -> X
  • Item -> Pick an Item -> X

Those weren't exactly "complex" systems that I remember.

Yeah, this is actually my first FF game.

Dead

well not really...yet
blurredvision said:
I don't remember any words like "vengeance" being put into play when you first meet Hope and Vanille. It's simply Vanille telling him to cheer up and move on, then trying to push him towards Snow to say something. They don't tell you what that something is unless you read the datalog.
Jesus christ :lol

I think Square are clearly overestimating their audience and need to forcefeed a lot more exposition next time!

I don't know, I just didn't think it was possible not to pick up on something as simple as this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom