• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

Dead said:
Thats because it is :lol

Yeah. I mean, the script is typical JRPG fare and you can't really call the dialog good or anything... but the acting is clear and simple and the subtext, if you can even call it that, in the character interactions is extremely obvious.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Dead said:
Jesus christ :lol

I think Square are clearly overestimating their audience and need to forcefeed a lot more exposition next time!

I don't know, I just didn't think it was possible not to pick up on something as simple as this...
kind of lose/lose really.. apparently if they don't spell it out people start thinking Hope has a man crush on Snow, and if they do spell it out, then they get attacked for treating us like we're idiots spelling out every little detail. :lol

Sarye

borghe said:
really?

when he didn't want the gun? when he was angry that his mom went with? when he saw snow drop his mom and his mom died? it really came out of left field for you?

I'll forgive the awkwardness of Vanille pushing him to confront him, but I just took that as Vanille innocently trying to get them to talk. As for Hope's reluctance to confront him... gee... a 12 year old kid or whatever being reluctant to confront what is essentially a soldier leading a refugee army out of exile.. yeah, I'd be a little hesitant to confront him also. :p

I mean I guess.. but to me it seemed almost ridiculously straight forward.

What you just described could have been him being grief stricken instead of wanting vengence on Snow but to answer your question, No it didn't come out of left field. I said I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for the Datalog.

I just felt that his emo reaction of not knowing what to say to Snow is stupid and is probably more of a cultural thing. I mean.. when Snow kept going on about how he'll protect Serah, I half expected Hope to say, "just like how you saved my mom right?

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
borghe said:
kind of lose/lose really.. apparently if they don't spell it out people start thinking Hope has a man crush on Snow, and if they do spell it out, then they get attacked for treating us like we're idiots spelling out every little detail. :lol

All cut scene dialogue should be turn based with appropriate spell casting animations for sentences and 5 minute long summon animations for all major plot points.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sarye said:
I... I guess Moms aren't tough. Hope should be mad at his mom for being a liar.

Yeah that part didn't make sense to me. Maybe she was already injured from the blast or something but I try not to think about it... it'll hurt my brain too much.
I might sympathise with Hope a little more if after Snow's Mom fell off the thing, Snow looked down and said, "guess not."

cnizzle06

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
You weren't expecting an action game, were you :lol

Oh c'mon, you and I both know this game falls short on many levels. I knew what to expect for the most part. I just expected a less archaic game. Graphics are fantastic though.

cosmicblizzard said:
You don't think him clenching his fists every time he met the guy was because he hated him? Is that something people do when they "meet their idol"? All he seemed like was a kid unsure of himself that wanted to tell Snow he's an asshole. I really don't see how you can interpret it any other way.

Sorry, I never noticed any clenching of the fists. I just don't think it was as straight-forward for some as it was for others. Hope did not look angry to me. He did not act angry to me. Therefore, I did not know he was angry.

borghe said:
Or maybe they shouldn't have stupid characters like Vanille being cheery, huggy and happy around kids who lost their moms and tickle them into confronting their mum's killer? Jeez.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
cnizzle06 said:
Also, and maybe it'll get better, but the combat system is so simplistic. It's as follows:

X X X X X X X X, whoops, getting low on health, paradigm shift, X X X X X X X X X, Paradigm shift, X X X X X X X, begin to daze, X X X X X X
Are you on like Chapter 3? Because that's not really true. Especially once some challenging bosses start to show up where you have to strategize between keeping up your HP and trying to increase the Stagger meter/get Commandos into prevent the meter from falling too quickly.

7Th

God, why is Vanille so happy all the time? People are dying all around her! These Japanese cheery characters are just so illogical! It's not like the game is heavily hinting through voiced narration that there is something genuinely wrong with her or anything!

Angry Grimace

Dead said:

I think Square are clearly overestimating their audience and need to forcefeed a lot more exposition next time!

I don't know, I just didn't think it was possible not to pick up on something as simple as this...
It's not so much that you can't figure it out, it's that Hope's behavior doesn't match the explanation.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
The hope thing was obvious to me but probably only because I've seen a number of anime series. It was handled in a very anime/japanese way. I don't think his actions/mannerisms/lines make sense at all from a purely american point of view.

cnizzle06

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Are you on like Chapter 3? Because that's not really true. Especially once some challenging bosses start to show up where you have to strategize between keeping up your HP and trying to increase the Stagger meter/get Commandos into prevent the meter from falling too quickly.

Um, X and paradigm shift.

7Th said:
God, why is Vanille so happy all the time? People are dying all around her! These Japanese cheery characters are just so illogical! It's not like the game is heavily hinting through voiced narration that there is something genuinely wrong with her or anything!
Oh yeah. Thanks for spoiling.

Sarye

slayn said:
The hope thing was obvious to me but probably only because I've seen a number of anime series. It was handled in a very anime/japanese way. I don't think his actions/mannerisms/lines make sense at all from a purely american point of view.

thank you that's what I'm trying to say as well.

Chapter 5:
WORST.BIRTHDAY.EVER!

Today, when I got in from school, there was a card in the door which I read as "you were out when someone came to collect your empty rabbit hutch".

My dad has just arrived home and told me I've read it wrong. Instead, my FFXIII Collectors Guide has been hidden outside in the hutch all day...

:lol

GOOD JOB IT DIDN'T RAIN.

cnizzle06 said:
Also, and maybe it'll get better, but the combat system is so simplistic. It's as follows:

X X X X X X X X, whoops, getting low on health, paradigm shift, X X X X X X X X X, Paradigm shift, X X X X X X X, begin to daze, X X X X X X

The combat system is far from simplistic. You must be like only a tiny bit into it. Try doing that on some of the later bosses and get your ass handed to you.

cnizzle06 said:
Oh c'mon, you and I both know this game falls short on many levels. I knew what to expect for the most part. I just expected a less archaic game. Graphics are fantastic though.

You're probably the first person I've heard call this battle system archaic. You must REALLY hate JRPGs in general if you think what may be the biggest evolution in the standard command-based BS is archaic.

squall211

I was thinking that there could be a FFXIII drinking game where everytime there is a scene involving Snow where the word "hero" is said, you take a shot. The only problem is all the participants in the drinking game would likely die from alcohol poisoning within the first hour. :/

MechaX

Angry Grimace said:
It's not so much that you can't figure it out, it's that Hope's behavior doesn't match the explanation.

You kinda get the impression that Hope is really passive-aggressive the moment you meet him.

cnizzle06 said:

Archaic? I'm not trying to start a pissing war, but if FFXIII is archaic, what RPG would not fit that term?

Dead said:

The first time you meet Hope and Vanille,
they are hooded, and you cannot see their face.
The second time you meet them,
they are random kids staring at the destruction that just happened where Snow and the "tough mom" were.
The third time you meet them,
Vanille is urging Hope to go tell Snow something before he flys off.
Combine that with still trying to figure out everything else at such an early stage in the game, no, I did not realize that Hope was angry. By the end of that timeline, I was just understanding that Hope was the same kid in that hood and that was his mom who died.

By the way, they do have a way to forcefeed info to us slower users. It's called a datalog.

Zeliard

Angry Grimace said:

The combat does get good, but I just wish they would've given you the reigns much earlier on. There's no reason you should have to wait so long to be able to pick any roles for anyone, and to customize paradigms and characters any way you see fit (you're able to customize paradigms in chapter 3 but you only have a limited number of roles, which are level-capped). Things like that would have gone a long way into alleviating the linear level design in the first several chapters.

I understand why you're not able to choose your own crew in combat until a certain point, since the characters you're running with plays directly into the storytelling, but I think they waited way too long to give the player access to some other things.

CozMick

Banned
Oh man, I'm in love with Final Fantasy XIII.

I never actually thought i'd say this about a game but damn it!

It's pure lust.

Durante

cnizzle06 said:
Yes, that is the central component of the battle system. But reducing it to it is like saying any menu-based JRPG is "just select option and X" or any shooter ever released is "just aim and shoot". The battle system is really the last thing in FF13 that should be criticized, and archaic is the least appropriate criticism to apply.

7Th

Einbroch said:
I laughed so hard when I heard that.

I didn't know Lightning was a spoiled 16 year old that didn't get the 2010 Benz like she wanted.

As I see it, during the first half of the game, Lightning is
easily as immature as Snow or Hope.

cnizzle06

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
You're probably the first person I've heard call this battle system archaic. You must REALLY hate JRPGs in general if you think what may be the biggest evolution in the standard command-based BS is archaic.

I'm pretty certain I didn't say the battle-system was archaic. More specifically, I find level design (invisible walls, linearity) and character design (dialogue, character development) to be archaic.

I'm not finding myself very attached to the characters yet, though I can like them, and I am missing that 'exploring a mysterious world' feeling (because they've pretty clearly aimed for a feeling of high-paced action instead), but my God I can't put this game down. I don't admire/respect it as much as FF12, but this is some damn good bubblegum.

Willectro

Banned
Enjoying the game so far, however, it's annoying as fuck that you have to select the storage device (on Xbox 360) every time you play.

cnizzle06 said:
I'm pretty certain I didn't say the battle-system was archaic. More specifically, I find level design (invisible walls, linearity) and character design (dialogue, character development) to be archaic.

Well that makes more sense but you were talking about the battle system in your previous posts so I assumed that's what you were referring to.

I also disagree about linearity=archaic but this has been discussed to death.

Angry Grimace

cnizzle06 said:
Yeah, except you're simplying the entire Paradigm Shift battle system to "press x to paradigm shift" as though you can do it mindlessly, which you can't.

I have no clue how you can possibly believe that. I've already encountered several bosses who require pretty quick PSing just to not get killed, much less do any damage to them. It requires a shitload more thought than say, FFX, where everyone just stood there waiting for you to enter commands and you basically knew what would happen.

I have to say; you're completely and utterly wrong about the battle system. It's like you're judging it based on random low level mooks who can't do enough damage to force you out of Relentless Assault.

_Xenon_

Banned
OK WTF is going on with this game? Dungeon after dungeon filled with button smashing fights? Is there any town or world map in this game later on?

cnizzle06

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Yeah, except you're simplying the entire Paradigm Shift battle system to "press x to paradigm shift" as though you can do it mindlessly, which you can't.

I have no clue how you can possibly believe that.

The "x" bit, was me referring to auto-battle actually. But I'm gonna go back to playing it now, since I'm sure the more time I invest, the more I'll appreciate it. See ya guys!

MechaX

_Xenon_ said:
OK WTF is going on with this game? Dungeon after dungeon filled with button smashing fights? Is there any town or world map in this game later on?

Yeah... This is definitely a game you should have researched on before hand. No to both questions (Well, kinda "yes" to the first).

Oli

I'm thinking about getting the soundtrack from Square Enix. Is it worth 30 bucks plus 6 for shipping? I really love the soundtrack so far (up to Chapter 4 now).

Plus 84 tracks or whatever is a lot for the price imo. But I'm curious what other people think. Recommended?

Angry Grimace

cnizzle06 said:
The "x" bit, was me referring to auto-battle actually. But I'm gonna go back to playing it now, since I'm sure the more time I invest, the more I'll appreciate it. See ya guys!
The Auto-Battle option is a misnomer. It's not like each role has a variety of options it can perform; the game is not really playing for you when you select Auto-Battle. You're doing one specific task in each role; but the tougher battles never let you just stay in that role because the bosses have extreme amounts of defense and HP which requires you to do a lot of coordination to fill the Stagger meter. You pretty much need Commandos to keep that meter going (Tri-Ravager doesn't work very well 75% of the time), but you really need to pound them with Ravager spells because Commando attacks don't really contribute to the Stagger meter. At the same time, you're losing health. It's not simple at all and it's very easy when bosses pop up to just get killed.

_Xenon_

Banned
MechaX said:
Yeah... This is definitely a game you should have researched on before hand. No to both questions (Well, kinda "yes" to the first).
I'm about 5 hours in and I've already got the feeling this is the retardest FF ever (I've played the whole series except 11). It's like a giant interactive movie filled with random boring fights and the movie story sucks balls. Where's the RPG exploring in this game?

Angry Grimace

Zeliard said:
The combat does get good, but I just wish they would've given you the reigns much earlier on. There's no reason you should have to wait so long to be able to pick any roles for anyone, and to customize paradigms and characters any way you see fit (you're able to customize paradigms in chapter 3 but you only have a limited number of roles, which are level-capped). Things like that would have gone a long way into alleviating the linear level design in the first several chapters.

I understand why you're not able to choose your own crew in combat until a certain point, since the characters you're running with plays directly into the storytelling, but I think they waited way too long to give the player access to some other things.
That's totally understandable; I posted a few pages back that I thought it was a mistake for S-E to not let you have some version of Paradigm Shift prior to Chap. 3.

I think the idea SE was going for was to slowly get you up to speed on how combat in FF13 works (give that it's very quickly paced and easy to die if you don't know what you're doing). But it seemed like there was a crapload of battles where you just spammed Auto-Battle mindlessly; more than there should have been.

Zoe

Angry Grimace said:
That's totally understandable; I posted a few pages back that I thought it was a mistake for S-E to not let you have some version of Paradigm Shift prior to Chap. 3.

But what other roles could have existed before chapter 3?
only l'Cie can use magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom