• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

CozMick said:
The 360 version is perfectly playable, just not the usual superior version.
Yea, Brad from GB said it's playable. It's that the cutscenes range from okay to terrible cuz of compression

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
_Xenon_ said:
I'm about 5 hours in and I've already got the feeling this is the retardest FF ever (I've played the whole series except 11). It's like a giant interactive movie filled with random boring fights and the movie story sucks balls. Where's the RPG exploring in this game?

did you like ff x? this is a lot like that one but with a much more fun battle system

_Xenon_ said:
I'm about 5 hours in and I've already got the feeling this is the retardest FF ever (I've played the whole series except 11). It's like a giant interactive movie filled with random boring fights and the movie story sucks balls. Where's the RPG exploring in this game?

You change locations every couple of minutes. You EXPLORE.

Empty

I wish there was a way of changing your start paradigm outside of combat, maybe a R2 or something. That would save me a lot of time in and out of menus.

The game certainly delivers great stuff in Chapters 6 and 7, after the way too long chapter 5, the enemies make the combat better, (<3 some of the tough monsters at the end of C6) and all the environments in those chapters are spectacularly beautiful. The FMV action sequence mid way through chapter 7 was pretty fucking rad too. I think the game is in desperate need of an antagonist to drive the game forwards as the story seems super aimless, it has really just been journeying with the occasional very obvious and poorly done character reveal and soap operay flashback, and the super linear structure of the game doesn't lend itself so well to a game about random adventuring across a world, hopefully the pace picks up soon.

edit: do wish the game would stop splitting me into twos, it works for characters stuff, but the combat with a three person party has been glorious and i miss it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I loved FFX and I find FFXIII alright so far. Great battle system but the problem is... It's very restricted (at least in FFX you can explore the towns and some locations more).

LCfiner

_Xenon_ said:

There is no exploring until waaaay down the line.

but the battle system stops being boring very shortly. it is the best part of this game, without a doubt in my mind.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zoe said:
But what other roles could have existed before chapter 3?
only l'Cie can use magic
I guess some kind of crappier potion? I don't know, just maybe have some approximation of healer-breaker-damager.

Empty said:
I wish there was a way of changing your start paradigm outside of combat, maybe a R2 or something. That would save me a lot of time in and out of menus.

You can with square in the paradigm menu.

Edit: Oh, you mean on the fly.

McNum

Empty said:

Menu -> Paradigms -> Hit Square when your preferred Paradigm is highlighted. Or is that not what you wanted to do?

Durante

Empty said:
I completely agree with this. There are enough unused buttons that they could have allowed you to toggle paradigms with one or two of them. The menu is fast, functional and beautiful, but not having to enter it would still be better.

Edit: I can't believe that 3 people misunderstood the request, seems really clear to me :lol

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Empty said:

The game certainly delivers great stuff in Chapters 6 and 7, after the way too long chapter 5, the enemies make the combat better, (<3 some of the tough monsters at the end of C6) and all the environments in those chapters are spectacularly beautiful. The FMV action sequence mid way through chapter 7 was pretty fucking rad too. I think the game is in desperate need of an antagonist to drive the game forwards as the story seems super aimless, it has really just been journeying with the occasional very obvious and poorly done character reveal and soap operay flashback, and the super linear structure of the game doesn't lend itself so well to a game about random adventuring across a world, hopefully the pace picks up soon.

edit: do wish the game would stop splitting me into twos, it works for characters stuff, but the combat with a three person party has been glorious and i miss it.
I believe you can in the paradigm menu, under customize. Press square on the one you want to start with.

EDIT: beaten

Chrange

Banned
Empty said:
You can set your default paradigm in the same menu that let's you customize them

Banned
Empty said:

Open menu, select paragigm, customize, press square on paradigm you want to be active. The paradigm with the green filter always starts the fight.

Edit: dammit beaten

blurredvision said:
The first time you meet Hope and Vanille,
they are hooded, and you cannot see their face.
The second time you meet them,
they are random kids staring at the destruction that just happened where Snow and the "tough mom" were.
The third time you meet them,
Vanille is urging Hope to go tell Snow something before he flys off.
Combine that with still trying to figure out everything else at such an early stage in the game, no, I did not realize that Hope was angry. By the end of that timeline, I was just understanding that Hope was the same kid in that hood and that was his mom who died.

By the way, they do have a way to forcefeed info to us slower users. It's called a datalog.
I dunno about you but it seems your avatar is already taken.

_Xenon_

Banned
jon bones said:
did you like ff x? this is a lot like that one but with a much more fun battle system
At least in FFX (which I like it) it has some RPG exploring element (visiting town, shopping, talking to people, secret bosses, side quests, etc).

You change locations every couple of minutes. You EXPLORE.
Then what's the difference between this game and Halo3 (except the fighting part of course)? It's not a RPG kind of exploring it's a freaking button smashing gallery.

Empty

Yeah guys, thanks for the help but i should have worded that better, i meant doing it outside of the main menu but in the world, like how you choose items giving you advantages going into combat. It would speed things up a little.

Durante knew what i was getting at.

Lothars

Fantasy Final said:
Don't this guide is just the same guide with a hard cover?

Exclusive additional 16-page section featuring an overview and analysis of the Final Fantasy XIII story

that looks like the main difference.

threenote

Banned
Wohoo, just got my copy.

I get overnight shipping every time I select free two day shipping (Amazon Prime), so I wasn't expecting the game until tomorrow.

The cover design is badass!

MechaX

_Xenon_ said:
At least in FFX (which I like it) it has some RPG exploring element (visiting town, shopping, talking to people, secret bosses, side quests, etc).

Then what's the difference between this game and Halo3 (except the fighting part of course)? It's not a RPG kind of exploring it's a freaking button smashing gallery.

Dude, you're probably not going to like this game. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, as you have your own specific tastes on RPGing (which are just as valid as the complete curve-ball FFXIII throws). If you're not liking the game now, especially now that you know it never really reverts to the "old-school" FF exploration formula even despite the section of the game that "opens-up", why waste any more time in a game that you're not having fun with?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
_Xenon_ said:

you're being purposefully obtuse, which can be funny in real life but not great for online discourse. some like the game, some people don't - you seem to be in the camp that doesn't. i didn't like the ME series so we clearly have different tastes.

Salz01

_Xenon_ said:

I'm a FF noob, but I understand this is considered a RPG because you have choices in how you battle, who you choose, and what skills you get. In Halo3 you do not.

K' Dash

_Xenon_ said:
OK WTF is going on with this game? Dungeon after dungeon filled with button smashing fights? Is there any town or world map in this game later on?

roll-eyes.jpg

_Xenon_ said:

I'm still working through this, but it seems apparent that this game has:

1.) talking to people: just walk past them, you'll get the dialogue. feels more streamlined and realistic than running up to everyone and pressing "X". kind of reminded me of the bitching that ensued in XII when you couldnt talk to EVERYONE in rabanastre. hey! not everyone is going to have something to say to you, pal.

2.) secret bosses are in, later in the game

3.) sidequests are in, see above.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I put these up early this morning and I wanted to be certain everyone got a stab at them.

XIII GIF Bomb

Be sure to check a page or two after the post to make certain the gif you want hasn't been taken. ^_^

Swag

1 hour in, I wish I could go piggy back on a motorcycle with Vanille :O.

Btw what's up with all the save points everywhere?

Dynamic3

OneEightZero said:
I put these up early this morning and I wanted to be certain everyone got a stab at them.

XIII GIF Bomb

Be sure to check a page or two after the post to make certain the gif you want hasn't been taken. ^_^

Awesome! I hope no one is using the Sazh one, cus I'm gonna steal it.

I asked this before but I didn't get a response, does anyone know:

Does mixing up your abilities in a certain way (ie. Fire-Flamestrike-Fire as opposed to Fire x3) make the chain gauge fill quicker. I noticed that sometimes when I use auto it does a mix, even when the enemy has no particular weaknesses.

blurredvision said:
I didn't see any rules stating you couldn't have the same avatar as someone else. I'll change it if I overlooked it.
There's a lot of unwritten rules on GAF. And it's a bit frustrating seeing another one getting the same avatar when yourself called for it first.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Fantasy Final said:
There's a lot of unwritten rules on GAF. And it's a bit frustrating seeing another one getting the same avatar when yourself called for it first.

I'm not sure if this is an actual rule, but it should be.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Talking to the GS manager he said that the PS3 actually is selling 3-1 vs the 360 version. It's about time people get it right. Bare in mind that this town I'm in is a 360 town. Some might have actually done their research this time around.

Anyone know where the musings thread is? I had more to report on other platforms but searching fails me on google.

Darte

Sorry to sidetrack but if anyone plans on not using the XIII special code for the XIV in-game item (assuming you don't plan on getting into MMOs), please send me a pm

LiquidMetal14 said:
Talking to the GS manager he said that the PS3 actually is selling 3-1 vs the 360 version. It's about time people get it right. Bare in mind that this town I'm in is a 360 town. Some might have actually done their research this time around.

Anyone know where the musings thread is? I had more to report on other platforms but searching fails me on google.

There's a shit thread for all this.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LiquidMetal14 said:

Don't think there's been one for a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom