• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Discussion

World detail and character detail definitly do not match up :lol Can't wait until release when they bust out with the better textures, I doubt they will change them for the Beta.

SamuraiX-

Jinko said:

OMG, thank you! Somebody who actually knows to play! Jeez, I remember the only other footage of the alpha with an archer was the moron running around the fields outside Limsa Lominsa for 10 minutes chasing mobs but having no idea how to attack.

Btw, nice map ^.

Looks amazing. I don't think any of us will truly appreciate the size of the areas available to us in the alpha/beta until we get in there ourselves and explore every square-inch of the that land.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Nice video, but expect the player banned from Alpha/Beta.

If anyone knows the owner, i can mask his name.

Teknoman

Wow at the monsters. I guess those little rats are there for a reason...I remember an interview talking about monsters attacking other monsters, so maybe a predator/prey relationship?

Jinko

Message from SE on the Alpha forum, regarding Alpha test scheduling.

Let me begin by expressing my thanks to all of you for participating in the first two tests in the alpha phase. I will be the first to admit that things have not gone as smoothly as we had originally hoped, and I offer my sincerest apologies to everyone who has had difficulties logging in to the game. We understand your frustration, but ask you to remain patient while we assess the problems and work to alleviate them.

For those testers who have been able to access the game, we greatly appreciate all the excellent feedback you have continued to provide. Your opinions are uniquely valuable to us as they provide an insight into the player’s perspective on the countless elements which make up FINAL FANTASY XIV. In response, our development team has been working around the clock, reviewing bug reports and browsing the tester forums, and will continue to make every effort to incorporate your opinions into the game’s development process.

Of course, due to the server and client issues, we are aware that many of you feel you have not had enough time to fully test the features indicated in the Test Content threads, such as basic controls and the battle system. For this reason, we have decided to extend the testing period for these areas of gameplay. In conjunction with this extension, we will be postponing plans to reset characters and conduct level balancing until players have had further opportunities to fully experience the battle and control systems.

The following is a summary of issues encountered during the first and second alpha tests:

- First Alpha Test
Due to unforeseen technical difficulties, the gathering of large numbers of characters in a single area caused a client-side error for many testers. This, in turn, resulted in server load exceeding estimated levels, ultimately limiting the overall number of testers being able to log in.

- Second Alpha Test
For the most part, we were able to resolve the client-side error players experienced on the first day of testing. However, solving that problem resulted in the emergence of new issues, which directly affected the testing efforts of many.
In addition, our efforts to alleviate server load issues proved insufficient, preventing us from increasing the maximum number of players able to log in simultaneously. This, unfortunately, meant that a large proportion of testers were unable to participate in the test.

In addition to the login issues, we also realize there still remain several other critical problems preventing many of our testers from testing the client software, even if they are able to log in. We are working on solving these issues one by one, and hope that with each new test, the software will become increasingly stable, and ultimately allow all of our testers to participate in the debugging process. The changes may not come overnight, but rest assured, they will come.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience and frustration caused, and humbly ask for your continued support and feedback.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Director
Nobuaki Komoto

Couple more vids

http://www.mediafire.com/?jtm0zygjzz2
http://www.mediafire.com/?3zhzjjanzez

notworksafe

Added all those videos to the OP.

I'm hoping at least some of those issues are fixed for tomorrow's test. It's been a bummer to get in twice but not be able to do anything.

Teknoman

notworksafe said:
Not even close. If you watch the frame counter in the top left, it hangs around 25ish FPS. Plus the Alpha is capped at 30 anyway.

Oh, I havent watched the video yet, just saw the title.

Gromph

Staff Member
A version update of FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Test client was performed for various adjustments.

The version upgrade will begin automatically when FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Test client is launched.
There is no need to uninstall the client.

Gromph said:
A version update of FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Test client was performed for various adjustments.

The version upgrade will begin automatically when FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Test client is launched.
There is no need to uninstall the client.

That figures, the first time I decide to not go through all the trouble, SE figures out how to run a version update.

Ah well, still waiting.

Sin

Found this on BG. Joblist found while datamining the new client.

PGL = Pugilist
GLA = Gladiator
EXC = Likely Marauder mistranslation, uses axe.
FNC = Fencer (Likely, found "Rapier")
ENF = Uses a mace, not sure what it's called. (Likely Enforcer)
ARC = Archer
LNC = Lancer
MSK = Musketeer (Likely, found "Gun")
MYS = Mystic
THM = Thaumaturge
CON = Conjurer
ACN = Archanist
WDK = Woodworker
BSM = Blacksmith
ARM = Armorer
GLD = Goldsmith
WVR = Weaver
ALC = Alchemist
CUL = Culinarian
HRV = Harvester
FSH = Fisher
SHP = Shepherd
??? = Tanner
??? = Botanist
??? = Miner
??? = Marauder

Jinko

More jobs from the dat files, not yet confirmed so might be incorrect.

Edit - Meh was beat.

PGL = Pugilist
GLA = Gladiator
EXC = Excavator
FNC = Fencer
ENF = Enforcer
ARC = Archer
LNC = Lancer
MSK = Musketeer
MYS = Mystic
THM = Thaumaturge
CON = Conjurer
ACN = Arcanist
WDK = Woodoworker
BSM = Blacksmith
ARM = Armsman/Armorer
GLD = Goldsmith
WVR = Weaver
ALC = Alchemist
CUL = Culinarian
HRV = Harvester
FSH = Fisher
SHP = Shephard (pet class)

Gromph

Staff Member
More info.

As of today's version update, the time in which players have to attempt to login while maintaining their position in the queue has been changed from 3 minutes to 10 minutes. Also the current position within the login queue will be displayed.

210eyd4.jpg

*"status" shows the current position within the login queue(39th place).

In case the player receives "Error Code: 1007" and placed in the login queue, repeated login attempts within 10 minutes will allow them to remain in the login queue. Therefore, please try to space out your login attempts by more than 5 minutes. Once the server is ready to accept new logins, those who are placed in the high order of the login queue will be allowed to log in. Please keep in mind that trying to log in repeatedly will not change your place in the queue.
With the maximum login capacity, its restirction will deregulate as time goes by.

* A real-time display of the current queue and a feature that will automatically attempt to log the player in when the server is full are currently under development.

And From today jp test:

j75a2p.jpg

2010dgk.jpg

1z48jl2.jpg

vysabo.jpg

2quujvp.jpg

34y5wqw.jpg

nn8rgm.jpg

29kyhj9.jpg

notworksafe

I love how SQE implements features in a stupid way when there are obviously better ways that it is already done. Why have a queue system that requires me to log in over and over instead of just a counter saying "You in X place in line" and keeps me in line without having me log in again? Dumb.

Jinko

Yea is kind of dumb, you would have thought they would have throught this through a while ago.

* A real-time display of the current queue and a feature that will automatically attempt to log the player in when the server is full are currently under development.

Looks like they are going to replace it with a standard system though, at least thats what I think its hinting at.

Some of the UI design choices, I am not happy about at all. I assume it's because the UI is also for PS3?

I think the fonts are not that good, and it could be more clean, and yet with more... personality. I really liked Aion's UI. I haven't played it but the UI looks extremely good.

gillty

Banned
notworksafe said:
I'd check but I'm at work and they block the Alpha site :(

EDIT: Had a friend check and there's no post about NA being canceled.
yes there is...
- Today at 08:43 AM. Regarding Alpha Test Schedule and Character Deletion (Apr. 15)

During the alpha test that occurred on Apr. 15, 2010 at 3:00 (PDT), due to characters logging with with damaged data, there were a number of server issues and many had trouble staying connected to the alpha test.

As a result of our investigation, we have found that while some characters were deleted because of data issues the other day, all of the damaged characters were not deleted. Because of this, we will once again be isolating and deleting the characters in question.

Additionally, while we plan to deal with this issue with all possible speed, we do not yet know when this will be complete. Therefore, the alpha tests for Apr. 15 and Apr. 18 have been canceled.

The next alpha test dates will be posted as soon as the issues have been resolved such that we can resume.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you and thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Gromph

Staff Member
Canceled:

During the alpha test that occurred on Apr. 15, 2010 at 3:00 (PDT), due to characters logging with with damaged data, there were a number of server issues and many had trouble staying connected to the alpha test.

As a result of our investigation, we have found that while some characters were deleted because of data issues the other day, all of the damaged characters were not deleted. Because of this, we will once again be isolating and deleting the characters in question.

Additionally, while we plan to deal with this issue with all possible speed, we do not yet know when this will be complete. Therefore, the alpha tests for Apr. 15 and Apr. 18 have been canceled.

The next alpha test dates will be posted as soon as the issues have been resolved such that we can resume.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you and thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Kandinsky

Thats kinda cool, i have limbus those days and at those times:lol

Man i fking hate this image..
14y71vd.jpg

It'll always be Kailea (or w'e) for me >_>

notworksafe

Oh bummer. I suppose it's better that they are canceled then having an Alpha tests where nothing can be done.

Also I expect to have to redo my character when I log back in for the next test since I was always out of phase with any mobs.

Achtius

Kandinsky said:
Thats kinda cool, i have limbus those days and at those times:lol

Man i fking hate this image..
14y71vd.jpg

It'll always be Kailea (or w'e) for me >_>

:lol :lol :lol

I associate that picture with her/him too.

Gromph

Staff Member
Pai Pai Master said:
Lol yeah, Kailea was back on FFXIonline.com when I moderated there. Kinda...yeah.

Pai Pai, im vadrek on ffxionline :p

Kuraine

Neo Member
I think I vaguely remember Kailea from FFXIonline.com as well... :lol

I certainly do remember you though PaiPai. Was Cobbi/Cobalt Katze there, posted a fair bit of importer-related info. Taru Dragoon madness!

Shame about the alpha test day cancellations, but honestly it'll be for the better. More time for them to worry about implementing fixes for things rather than keeping them stable/running.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Pai Pai Master said:
Lol yeah, Kailea was back on FFXIonline.com when I moderated there. Kinda...yeah.

Wow. I knew I remembered your name from somewhere. FFXIonline was my bible for the longest time. Imported the game a year before NA release. Learned a good heap of Japanese through playing JP FFXI, and those translation guides were golden!

Gromph

Staff Member
LeMaximilian said:
Wow. I knew I remembered your name from somewhere. FFXIonline was my bible for the longest time. Imported the game a year before NA release. Learned a good heap of Japanese through playing JP FFXI, and those translation guides were golden!

I was de "Data Master" :D

Top Bottom