• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Discussion

notworksafe

Vigilant Walrus said:
Can I ask about the controls? It looks like it from these videos that it's not WASD?:(

Nooooo...
They are WASD with arrow keys for the camera. In the first post there is a link to a breakdown of the exact controls.

SamuraiX-

Kandinsky said:
Whats the point of that thing?!:lol

Those were extremely useful in Diablo II, I remember. It basically allows to plan ahead in allocating your attribute points effectively and upgrading your character's stats for optimum efficiency.

Then again, if it's true that there will be a way to reset those points and put them back in again whenever you want, then those calculators might not be as valuable. :p

Jinko

Kandinsky said:
Whats the point of that thing?!:lol

Very little yet, but once its optimised and they know how str = attack power etc then it might be a bit more helpful.

Of course its Alpha stats they are working with so it may all end up being changed by release.

notworksafe

B-Dex said:
Anyone know the PW for it? Please PM thanks.
Check the page source. It should be easy from there.

Also funny to see where my videos have gotten. At least he's hosting them and not just linking. :lol

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
New dates!

We would like to take this opportunity to thank all testers for their participation in the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Test.

The dates and times of the third alpha test are as follows:

(All times are PDT: GMT -7:00)
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 – 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 – 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2
Tuesday, April 20, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3

*1 Only users with Japan-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*2 Only users with Europe-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*3 Only users with North America-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.

* Three test periods per day have been set in accordance with times of anticipated peak activity in each region.

Test Contents:
・Quest System
・Guildleve System
・Battle System
・Basic Controls
・User Interface

And new patch

An update of the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version client was performed to stabilize the software.

The version update will begin automatically when the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version client is launched.
There is no need to uninstall the client.

Gromph

Staff Member
New Issues.

As of Apr. 20, 2010, we have confirmed the following issues.
Please note that the issues listed here do not need to be reported via the Bug Report form.

[Confirmed Issues]
- When the Windows Security screen is shown by pressing Control-Alt-Delete, the following may occur:
Title Screen: The FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version may shut down.
Game Screen: The target cursor, log window, and other graphics may be displayed improperly.
* Please try to avoid using this command.

- During gameplay, the following may occur:
- Graphics may be displayed incorrectly.
- Error messages may appear.
* If you experience any such problems, please log out and then back in again.

- During gameplay, characters may become unable to move in certain locations.
* If this happens to your character, please use Warp or Teleport to free yourself. If this still does not solve the issue, please log in again or create a new character.

- On the title screen, after choosing "Start Game," the graphics may be displayed incorrectly.
* If this occurs, please exit the program and load FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version once again.

- On the character selection screen, after pressing "Login with Selected Character," "Delete Character," "Select Entered Name," or "Confirm Created Character," an error message saying "The lobby server connection has encountered an error" may be displayed.
* If this occurs, please exit the program and load FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version once again.

- If you enter active mode immediately after entering a new area, you may become unable to return to normal mode or use certain commands such as logging out.
* If this occurs, log out in any way possible and then log back in. If logging out is not possible, force the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version client to quit and then log in again.

- Control over the mouse and keyboard may be lost when returning to the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version window after changing windows with Alt-Tab.
* Please avoid changing windows this way.
* If this occurs, force the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version client to quit and then log in again.

- Occasionally the screen may go back to the beginning of a given event and then end with an error message.
* Once you have logged back in, you should be able to attempt the event once again.

[Corrected Issues]
- Occasionally Error 40000 was displayed under certain settings, causing the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version client to quit.

- Previously, the combination of Windows Vista(R) and NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) series graphics cards could occasionally cause graphics errors that would prevent game progression during the beginning cut scene.

- During installation of the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version, the following errors would sometimes occur and prevent correct installation:
Error 20526, Error 20614, Error 20613, Error 19903, Error -3

- Configuration settings would not be saved if double-byte characters were used in the Windows user name.

- Upon completing a levequest, there were instances when a levequest target would attack before it disappeared, causing the Alpha Version client to quit.

[Other]
- We have implemented countermeasures to resolve the server load balancing and connection issues that occurred during the first alpha test.

- We have implemented countermeasures to resolve character data corruption that can occur in certain specific situations. Characters with corrupted data are being deleted, so if this occurs, please create a new character.

Jinko

We would like to take this opportunity to thank the testers in all regions for their continued participation and feedback during the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Test.

As of Thursday, April 15, the submitted feedback numbers by region (and language) are as follows:

North America: 25,401
Europe (English): 11,554
Japan: 4,959
Europe (German): 4,022
Europe (French): 3,512

The alpha test phase is scheduled to continue with several more facets of the game becoming available to testers. As always, we ask that you take the time to submit feedback on any and all topics, and we look forward to hearing your opinions and suggestions.

Looks like the Japanese think this is a free trial. :p

notworksafe

Zozobra said:
Or North America is trying way too hard :p
This. The stuff that has been submitted for feedback can be pretty stupid if you look over the forum. That and every idea and bug is submitted about 20 times over.

Jinko

bja161.jpg
ehf2wl.jpg

11237718.jpg

11237722.jpg

11237723.jpg

11237725.png

11237731.jpg

11237742.jpg

11237754png.jpg

11237755.jpg

up45502.jpg

up45503.jpg

up45526l.jpg

up45527.jpg

up45530.jpg

up45532.jpg

Londa

Banned
Wow

Both North America and Europe (English) are giving back a lot of feedback. I'm suprised with Japan's low numbers...

Edit
That mask is pretty interesting

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Really REALLY nice lighting :D

Gromph

Staff Member
Lets see if my HD support the recording of today :p

demonkaze

Finally got a chance to properly test the EU Alpha tonight, the servers are a bit more stable and theres a proper queue system in place. That being said, a lot of people had problems with npcs/enemies not spawning.

Did some guildleves today and I really like the idea of it, the normal area music changes to a specific guildleve music which also plays during battle (or at least did for me, normally it changes to battle music) which can get a bit boring after 20 or so minutes.

I really like the battle system, its a lot of fun once you get used to it, that being said I got a few skills that I couldn't activate for the life of me and couldn't find an explanation anywhere to get it to activate. I was a bit weary of the attribute system when I first found out about it but I actually really like it, you get a lot of attribute points per physical level up and you really feel like your character is progressing.

With that said I do have a few gripes about the game and I do understand that it's alpha and these things can change. The controls are truly awful to me (playing on keyboard here, might be better on controller), I can't stress this more, they are really cumbersome and just get in the way. The camera is terrible too but it does seem like early stuff so I pray that these things get sorted out. Along with that, the targetting system is terrible too, its similar to FFXI but it's even worse in my opinion.

Like I said, I really like what I've played and will probably be playing at launch, that said, to me, those problems I mentioned are game breaking to me, it really affects my enjoyment of the game. I realise this is Alpha and a lot of things can be placeholders, that's why I hope that these problems are only temporary.

Jinko

Hope you made a suggestion or complaint against the controls :D

Glad to see they are slowly getting on top of ther server problems though.

Kandinsky

demonkaze said:
that being said I got a few skills that I couldn't activate for the life of me and couldn't find an explanation anywhere to get it to activate.
This happened to me as well then i realized i was in combat mode and need to be on passive to be able to equip them :D

Anyways good to know you got some time with the game, i have this weird feeling that my lvl6 THM is gone:lol

Jinko

If any of you have a Gladiator and reach rank 10, find out how to wear this.

One of the guys over on BG said he couldn't equip it.

cuirassa.jpg

Kandinsky

Jinko said:
If any of you have a Gladiator and reach rank 10, find out how to wear this.

One of the guys over on BG said he couldn't equip it.

cuirassa.jpg
Is his rank above 10 or his gladiator lvl above 10?, might need the later to be able to wear it, anyway he should report because its either a bug or a typo on SE's part:lol

Xux

Kandinsky said:
Is his rank above 10 or his gladiator lvl above 10?, might need the later to be able to wear it, anyway he should report because its either a bug or a typo on SE's part:lol

His physical level was 10 and his sword skill was 12.

It'd be funny if it wasn't a typo and Marauder and Lancer made up for the lack of as many tanking abilities with heavier armor.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
LeMaximilian said:
Wow. I knew I remembered your name from somewhere. FFXIonline was my bible for the longest time. Imported the game a year before NA release. Learned a good heap of Japanese through playing JP FFXI, and those translation guides were golden!
Hehe, yeah playing FFXI back when it first came out really helped to improve my Japanese. I remember I wrote a small guide about Dragoons on ffxionline when the expansion hit. The only guy I remember from there is Johnnyram, though.

Jinko

We were thinking the same, but they have shown pics of both Gladiator and Lancer using plate, so it doesn't make much sense.

Kandinsky

Jinko said:
We were thinking the same, but they have shown pics of both Gladiator and Lancer using plate, so it doesn't make much sense.
Heavy DD, not heavy armor?.

Edit: been pretty good for me so far, still second test was the best for me, but managed to get to lvl8 and still going:lol , ill make sure to share videos with you guys this time around.

Gromph

Staff Member
Kandinsky said:
Heavy DD, not heavy armor?.

Edit: been pretty good for me so far, still second test was the best for me, but managed to get to lvl8 and still going:lol , ill make sure to share videos with you guys this time around.

Ouch, i was 2:30h without mobs and npcs relog didn't solve, and char bugged 2 times...

After that on 2 Guildleaves Server Error and leves failed, you cant re-attempt neither restart (or i didn't found it), gave up at 3:00 pm couse where i am was 6:00 am and my eyes where closing.

Reported a few bugs.

Send me the videos! :) read yours PM's :p

EDIT: I recorded the whole intro in HD. :)

Top Bottom