• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Alpha Discussion

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Such a pretty game.

Jinko

I noticed that the mobs difficulty scale to the party.

Same Dodo was.

Solo
solof.jpg

Party of 2
inparty.jpg

Kronotech

Jinko said:
I noticed that the mobs difficulty scale to the party.

Same Dodo was.

Solo
solof.jpg

Party of 2
inparty.jpg

That is awesome! Does any other MMO do this currently? Brilliant idea but I'd be interested to see how they make it work.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Kandinsky said:
Windows Movie Maker, they end up like those youre posting Jinko.

Use Total Media Converter. :)

New alpha info

Upon investigating issues that occurred during the third FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Test, we have confirmed the following bugs:

- When changing areas, NPCs may disappear.
- Character data can be corrupted in ways different from those previously addressed.

As it appears that it may take some time to correct these issues, we are planning to perform the next FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Test next week at the earliest.

We will publish a more detailed schedule at a later time. We ask for your patience in this matter.

Omnicent

That last video is awesome. I'm planning on being an archer, so it's good to see how it works.
Also the video runs smoothly and can see how battles work a bit more.

notworksafe

Gromph said:
Use Total Media Converter. :)

New alpha info
Yeah Total Media Converter is what I use on my vids before I send them to Gromph for cleaning and they look pretty good I think.

I'm glad that they are again delaying the Alpha to fix those issues. The no NPCs bug is what has been stopping me from getting any more videos up. I haven't seen a battle outside the very first one yet!

Kandinsky

From this..
aaayo0.jpg

to this...
5wxjz6.jpg

Maybe thats good enough?:lol

Edit: finally figured a conf for that total video converted, gonna be uploading videos all day for Gromph to edit:lol

Kronotech said:
That is awesome! Does any other MMO do this currently? Brilliant idea but I'd be interested to see how they make it work.

To be clear: it's not that the mobs themselves scale in difficulty. It's that the difficulty "rating" changes to reflect how difficult it would be for your party to defeat the enemy or enemy's party.

For any of you who have access to TP actions (I haven't played since Alpha 1 and don't plan to redownload until I hear more positive feedback), do they require the Action Bar to be full as well?

Jinko

Raaarr let me borrow your account .. :D

About TP, a skill requires 1000 tp for example, so you need at least that much to execute the weapon skill and you have to wait for the action gauge to fill aswell, the video above shows you pretty much.

Jinko said:
Raaarr let me borrow your account .. :D

About TP, a skill requires 1000 tp for example, so you need at least that much to execute the weapon skill and you have to wait for the action gauge to fill aswell, the video above shows you pretty much.

Thanks. Kind of wish that wasn't the case.

I really need to try out Pugilist.

Kandinsky

Pai Pai Master said:
Damn you sac. :lol Seems like you've had so few problems playing. I've still yet to actually find and engage a monster on the field.
Dont hate mang, but yeah its been great for me lol

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Kandinsky said:
Idk i uploaded them, i did my part!

I had a bussy Weekend, i should have the videos done today, sorry for the wait :(

Munba

Dunno if old.. but nice to have interactivity elements (from dengeki),

Mining
You are able to scan for nearby nodes, when you do a directional arrow appears on your minimap along with the distance to the node. You go up to the node and select “excavate” and you receive a message about how difficult it will be. You are then presented with a ring that moves inward and outward continuously, you press the “activate” button at a certain spot on the ring. You repeat this process a few times to mine the ore.

Zalasta

Curious if anyone saved a copy of the class abilities from the data mining, especially since Cair's website has been taken down by SE.

notworksafe

Zalasta said:
Curious if anyone saved a copy of the class abilities from the data mining, especially since Cair's website has been taken down by SE.
It didn't get taken down. Just check the page source to see how to get in.

Munba

Here you go,

The dates and times of the fourth test will be as follows. (All times are PDT: GMT -7:00.)

Fourth Alpha Test Schedule
Dates and Times:
Thursday, April 29, 2010 – 3:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. *1
Thursday, April 29, 2010 – 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. *2
Thursday, April 29, 2010 – 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. *3

*1 Only users with Japan-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*2 Only users with Europe-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.
*3 Only users with North America-based Square Enix accounts will be able to log in.

notworksafe

Square loves to schedule these test times when I'm not able to play. What a bummer...it seems like this may be the first one that works properly.

notworksafe said:
Square loves to schedule these test times when I'm not able to play. What a bummer...it seems like this may be the first one that works properly.

I'm sure there are several folks that would be willing to undertake that task on your behalf :lol

I liked this part in that interview.

- Right now, the alpha has focused only on the PC. How is development for the PS3 coming along?

Tanaka: We're working hard on the PS3 as well. We plan to have both versions begin service simultaneously.

- Then is it okay for those eager PS3 players to get excited?

Tanaka & Komoto: Yes! We hope you look forward to playing.

Jinko

There is a new update/patch btw.

As of Apr. 29, 2010, we have confirmed the following issues.
Please note that the issues listed here do not need to be reported via the Bug Report form.

[Confirmed Issues]
- When the Windows Security screen is shown by pressing Control-Alt-Delete, the following may occur:
Title Screen: The FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version may shut down.
Game Screen: The target cursor, log window, and other graphics may be displayed improperly.
* Please try to avoid using this command.

- During gameplay, the following may occur:
- Graphics may be displayed incorrectly.
- Error messages may appear.
* If you experience any such problems, please log out and then back in again.

- During gameplay, characters may become unable to move in certain locations.
* If this happens to your character, please use Warp or Teleport to free yourself. If this still does not solve the issue, please log in again or create a new character.

- On the title screen, after choosing "Start Game," the graphics may be displayed incorrectly.
* If this occurs, please exit the program and load the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version once again.

- On the character selection screen, after pressing "Login with Selected Character," "Delete Character," "Select Entered Name," or "Confirm Created Character," an error message saying "The lobby server connection has encountered an error" may be displayed.
* If this occurs, please exit the program and load the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version once again.

- If you enter active mode immediately after entering a new area, you may become unable to return to normal mode or use certain commands such as logging out.
* If this occurs, log out in any way possible and then log back in. If logging out is not possible, force the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version client to quit and then log in again.

- Control over the mouse and keyboard may be lost when returning to the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version window after changing windows with Alt-Tab.
* Please avoid changing windows this way.
* If this occurs, force the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version client to quit and then log in again.

- Occasionally the screen may go back to the beginning of a given event and then end with an error message.
* Once you have logged back in, you should be able to attempt the event once again.

[Corrected Issues]

--- 04/28/2010 ---

- We have implemented countermeasures to help improve the time it takes to do an area change or to login when there is a large amount of load on the server.

- We have implemented countermeasures to prevent NPCs and PCs from disappearing when there is a large amount of load on the server.

- We have updated the login process such that characters with corrupted data due to server issues will not be able to log in and will receive a "errCode 3054" error during login attempts. If you receive this error, please try to log in again. If you are unable to log in multiple times and receive the "errCode 3054" error, we ask that you please delete your character and make a new character.

- We have further stabilized the FINAL FANTASY XIV Alpha Version client.

Top Bottom