• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haint

Maybe if we throw enough content at them they'll forget about Fatigue, no AH, broke Market Wards, and comically unbalanced party play. Then lets smooth it out with intentionally vague, undated promises for a couple issues, and not even address the rest at all.

ithorien

Reallink said:
Maybe if we throw enough content at them they'll forget about Fatigue, no AH, broke Market Wards, and comically unbalanced party play. Then lets smooth it out with intentionally vague, undated promises for a couple issues, and not even address the rest at all.

Kansas City Shuffle, SE style.

Jinko

notworksafe said:
Yeah my MMO playing friends and I have all jumped on lotro for now. It's a neat game and is quite fun to play (and free!). We're waiting the six months to see what gets changed before jumping in. I know it will eventually be very different then it is now, and I don't mind waiting. Gives me more time to get a better PC anyway. :D

Just out of curiousity do I need to download a new client for the F2P, as I have the old one which I used for a free trial.

Kuro268

Neo Member
SE just added their own official translation of the Pre-Release party details.

Edit: Beaten.

I knew they were holding a lot back but damn... game is looking so much better right now. A sigh of relief after the Alpha/Beta that most people looked at as a way to demo the game before its out. Then judge based on that.

datamage

I guess some decent news for a change.

Kinda bummed about no world NMs. (supposedly)

From my EQ days, I enjoyed camping that rare spawn, was something extra to do in the game. Ah well.

On performance, those that are getting 30fps+ in town (in somewhat crowded areas)- what are your specs and game settings?

I currently have a C2D @ 3.3 GHZ with a GTX 275, and I get anywhere from 17-24fps in town. (40-60 outside though.) Game is running @ 1920x1080 2xAA/16xAF. (Individual game settings all set to their highest possible except for AO/DOF, those are disabled.) Oh yeah, and I also disabled extended drawing.

I ask, cause I was curious if an upgrade to an i7 or, an i5, would give a significant boost. For now, I just switch to first person while in town, that helps with performance a bit.

Kuro268

Neo Member
datamage said:
I guess some decent news for a change.

Kinda bummed about no world NMs. (supposedly)

From my EQ days, I enjoyed camping that rare spawn, was something extra to do in the game. Ah well.

On performance, those that are getting 30fps+ in town (in somewhat crowded areas)- what are your specs and game settings?

I currently have a C2D @ 3.3 GHZ with a GTX 275, and I get anywhere from 17-24fps in town. (40-60 outside though.) Game is running @ 1920x1080 2xAA/16xAF. (Individual game settings all set to their highest possible except for AO/DOF, those are disabled.) Oh yeah, and I also disabled extended drawing.

I ask, cause I was curious if an upgrade to an i7 or, an i5, would give a significant boost. For now, I just switch to first person while in town, that helps with performance a bit.

Yeah a little bummed out about that as well.

I have an i7 930 @ 4.0 GHz, 6GB DDR3 RAM and an HD5850. I get 30+ FPS everywhere pretty much. Out in the fields/cave its constant 60 FPS. The ATI stutter while not as bad as it used to be, it's still there. Hoping AMD clears that up sometime after release w/ new drivers.

Settings: 1280x720, everything maxed out and on except for Ambient Occlusion and Buffer Size (keep on window size).

Salaadin

datamage said:

i5 750 overclocked to 3.4GHz
HD Radeon 5850 overclocked to 760/1125
4GBs DDR3 RAM

I get mostly 30 FPS in the congested areas. Itll drop to low 20s but then shoot right back up quickly. Outside areas are mostly 60 FPS when Im not by a crystal. It runs very well.

1920x1080
Full Screen
Resolution
4x MSAA
Shadows High
DoF off
Ambient Occlusion off
Everything else maxed

DrDogg

Most of the news is okay I guess.

- I don't like the focus on guildleves. I think it really takes away from normal partying. The fact that you can now repeat failed leves and gain access to leves in less than 48 hours just makes it even less important to party for anything else.

- They didn't mention the broken party mechanics at all. Nothing about how it's useless for mages to party.

- Market wards are staying and that's terrible. It also seems like it'll be more difficult to sell items. I don't want to "be creative with methods to sell wares". I want to craft my items and put them in an AH so they sell quickly. Figuring out a way to stand out among 100 other bazaars is not my idea of a fun time.

- I'm neutral about attributes and elemental stats having an impact on crafting. However, if that's the case, I need to be able to reassign ALL of my stats quickly. Let me do a macro for that or something.

- Glad to hear menu speed will be faster and they're making adjustments to enmity and how you recover MP, but I'm taking a wait and see stance on all of this.

I'll still be there day 1, but I'm not any happier about things...

Teknoman

DrDogg said:
Most of the news is okay I guess.

- I don't like the focus on guildleves. I think it really takes away from normal partying. The fact that you can now repeat failed leves and gain access to leves in less than 48 hours just makes it even less important to party for anything else...

Not really. Some of those leves will still tear you up, no matter how many times you repeat them. You will definitely have to party for most leves Rank 10 and up, at least for the ones with harder enemies.

Soroc said:
I was thinking the exact same thing!! :lol

At least they're putting actual mini-games into the game...wasnt that in everquest too though? Would've been better for a new tetra master style game.

Either way i'm psyched up for release.

DrDogg

Teknoman said:
Not really. Some of those leves will still tear you up, no matter how many times you repeat them. You will definitely have to party for most leves Rank 10 and up, at least for the ones with harder enemies.

I'm saying people will party up for leves and nothing else. I've done a few rank 10 leves solo on my THA. I'm sure some are harder than others, but I've been able to complete the 3+ I've done thus far.

If you have to party for some leves, that makes it even worse. Mages will be out of luck getting any SP/XP for those leves. It'd be strictly a gil/armor leve for them. Since I'll be crafting more than leveling (due to the poor party system), that doesn't help players like me at all.

ithorien

DrDogg said:
I'll still be there day 1, but I'm not any happier about things...

I'm hoping the less money they get at launch, the more head scratching it results. Which hopefully follows with "hmm, what did we do wrong here and how can we fix it".

Teknoman

DrDogg said:
I'm saying people will party up for leves and nothing else. I've done a few rank 10 leves solo on my THA. I'm sure some are harder than others, but I've been able to complete the 3+ I've done thus far.

If you have to party for some leves, that makes it even worse. Mages will be out of luck getting any SP/XP for those leves. It'd be strictly a gil/armor leve for them. Since I'll be crafting more than leveling (due to the poor party system), that doesn't help players like me at all.

Well hopefully partying for continued exp will be worthwhile. I dont want to just join a group, work through leves, then adios group. Especially if we only end up doing a few...

Would be kinda pointless to have so many strong enemies around.

Haint

Teknoman said:

At least they're putting actual mini-games into the game...wasnt that in everquest too though? Would've been better for a new tetra master style game.

Only problem with partying and party-based leves is that the search/seek system is nonsensical, completely unused, and quite possibly not even functional. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't even an option for a general XP/Grind party. I'm not really sure what they're trying to accomplish, it has remained completely untouched for at least 5 phases. At this point I can only assume they're trying to force players to rely on Linkshells and social groups exclusively, much in the same way they're forcing us to like the Market Wards. Clearly there is a very intentional design decision behind it.

ithorien

Teknoman said:
Well hopefully partying for continued exp will be worthwhile. I dont want to just join a group, work through leves, then adios group. Especially if we only end up doing a few...

Would be kinda pointless to have so many strong enemies around.

Unfortunately that sounds dangerously close to MMM. MMM works well sometimes, but most of the time it amounts to that of an average party exp/hr, at least from the experience I've had with it.

Atrus

Gold Member
Interesting to find out that the guys fighting the Dragon in the CG intro aren't the Garleans abut the Ishgardians.

So what do the Garleans look like then?

Moobabe

Just been on a marathon exploring session with my mate - all through Mor Dhona and Coerthas. What is there to do in these zones? Don't get me wrong - they're both amazing and the crashed airship in the middle of Mor Dhona is incredible. Also - what is Ithran? How do you get there?

I can't help but feel that the game, as it is, is a little empty. You can do the leve quests or whatever and some crafting but like - in Mor Dhona especially is that it? Just some standard leve quests?

Teknoman

Atrus said:
Interesting to find out that the guys fighting the Dragon in the CG intro aren't the Garleans abut the Ishgardians.

So what do the Garleans look like then?

People with flamethrowers apparently.

Moobabe said:
Just been on a marathon exploring session with my mate - all through Mor Dhona and Coerthas. What is there to do in these zones? Don't get me wrong - they're both amazing and the crashed airship in the middle of Mor Dhona is incredible. Also - what is Ithran? How do you get there?

I can't help but feel that the game, as it is, is a little empty. You can do the leve quests or whatever and some crafting but like - in Mor Dhona especially is that it? Just some standard leve quests?

There aren't any sidequests in the beta AFAIK, just the story quests you get every 10 levels and the leves. There HAVE to be sidequests where NPCs tell you to kill 15 rats or whatever, if there aren't then Squenix really are insane and this game is doomed and I just wasted $800 upgrading my computer for it. :lol

nataku

Unknown Soldier said:
There aren't any sidequests in the beta AFAIK, just the story quests you get every 10 levels and the leves. There HAVE to be sidequests where NPCs tell you to kill 15 rats or whatever, if there aren't then Squenix really are insane and this game is doomed and I just wasted $800 upgrading my computer for it. :lol
Prepare to be disappointed.

Teknoman

nataku said:
Prepare to be disappointed.

But probably not. The translated prelive stuff already confirmed stuff that S-E either never mentioned or said wouldnt be in at release. I'm pretty sure there will be normal quests that have nothing to do with class guild leves, faction leves, or standard stuff you get from the Adventurers guild leve counter.

And if not, then some sort of leve given to you buy an npc to head in through a random node.

With square you just have to wait till release and see whats up, especially after backpedaling from that hardware cursor statement.

So anyways, if you have Core i7 running at 4+ ghz you are ready for this game. I intend to be ready for this game, my components listed on the previous page shipped today. :lol

The big surprise is the GTX 460 easily keeping up with a Radeon HD 5870. I guess the official benchmark was a piece of shit after all, ATI cards score ~1000 points higher on the benchmark than Nvidia cards but a GTX 460 which costs half the price of a 5870 is nipping at its heels in the beta client. Lesson of the day: if you are planning a computer upgrade for FFXIV, get Core i7 and Nvidia Fermi cards for it. The Core i7 is a bigger priority, this game is crazy CPU dependent.

If you're willing to blow a little less money than I was, you can do:

Intel Core i5-750 "Lynnfield" 2.66ghz (THIS IS A QUAD-CORE AND YOU CAN OC IT A LOT!) - $195
Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 - $120
Patriot "Sector 5" series 2 x 2GB DDR3-1333 $90 - $20 MIR = $70
Zotac GTX 460 (LIFETIME WARRANTY!) - $220 (price visible in cart only lol)

So, you just spent $605 on a computer which will happily run FFXIV on maximum settings in 1920x1080 resolution as that guy in the blog did. (Core i7-860 as seen in the blog adds HyperThreading but FFXIV has no use for that.) You'll probably want to spend another $50-70 on an aftermarket CPU cooler if you are going to really push the CPU OC, you don't have to buy the Noctua I did if you aren't dead set on 4 ghz or bust. Zotac is a good brand but if you only trust eVGA or something it's only $20 more for the eVGA card including shipping.

Meeru

Banned
As much as I want to buy a new computer imma wait for sandy bridge and see how much the i7s will drop

For the native res usually 23-25" have that res, with 23" pushing it

I run the game in 1920x1200 with 4x MSAA and I can confirm it looks INSANE. If the lobby server wasn't down right now due to maintenance, I would log in and take a full-res screenshot and post it.

Here's a full res pic..

These were taken during the brief period where they had removed the framerate cap..

In the top picture I was getting around 26 fps..

In the bottom, I was getting 106 fps

Amazing the difference AO makes, eh?

My rig -

i7 920 @ 3.5Ghz
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard
6GB DDR3 ram
HD5870 1GB gpu

1920x1080..

AO enabled for this one (DOF disabled) -

picture2go.jpg

AO disabled for this one (DOF disabled)-

pictureip.jpg

kiryogi

Banned
Been meaning to but lazy. Here's some shots finally from me XD @ 1680x1050

AMD Phenom 2 Deneb X4 965 3.2ghz (quad-core)
ASUS M4A78T-E motherboard
8 gigs of DDR PC3 10666 ram
Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 1GB video

ffxiv.png

ffxivuldah1.png

ffxivuldah2.png

These screenshots were taken at 1920x1200, 4x MSAA + TrAA, Max Textures/Texture Filtering in game settings, DoF enabled, AO disabled, everything else maxed. I am using a GTX 470. Thanks go out to Eithne Rain (kiryogi) for following me around and posing with me in a few of these shots.

1284216980.jpg

1284540005.jpg

1284540095.jpg

1284540808.jpg

1284542285.jpg

1284542775.jpg

1284543067.jpg

Unknown Soldier said:
I don't think the DoF was working yet in your closed beta build. Also, please set texture filtering to maximum next time!

It is set to max in game.. this was in beta 3.. so maybe it wasn't working right.

also, I had DOF disabled in both.. I just remembered.

I was taking them to compare the difference between AO enabled and AO disabled.

DrDogg

Okay, I've been doing my crafting homework (which is tough since we don't know what most food does or what rank most of the crafts are). For people playing on day 1, I need to know what gear/weapons you'd like early on.

Obviously, gear and weapons for the melee classes will be in highest demand, but I'd still like to hear from everyone so I know where to focus.

- Is gear more important?
- Are weapons more important?
- Would you rather have food to hopefully increase str/acc? (Do we have any fishers who can supply fish if sushi is still awesome sauce?)

I'm going to level pretty much every craft, but I'll focus on one or two the first couple of days so this input is welcome.

Salaadin

Have thye mentioned at all about the FFXIII in game item that we get? I redeemed that code way back when and got another code to key into the beta site for the PS3 beta. My current beta account and SE ID is also the one tied to FFXIII code. Am I just going to have it upon logging into the game?

We have those other codes for the CE too that need to be redeemed before any characters are created in order to use them. I hope they touch on this soon.

DrDogg said:
Okay, I've been doing my crafting homework (which is tough since we don't know what most food does or what rank most of the crafts are). For people playing on day 1, I need to know what gear/weapons you'd like early on.

Obviously, gear and weapons for the melee classes will be in highest demand, but I'd still like to hear from everyone so I know where to focus.

- Is gear more important?
- Are weapons more important?
- Would you rather have food to hopefully increase str/acc? (Do we have any fishers who can supply fish if sushi is still awesome sauce?)

I'm going to level pretty much every craft, but I'll focus on one or two the first couple of days so this input is welcome.

Not trying to be mean or deter you from your eagerness but a lot of any MMO in the first couple months is guess work. We need time to see the full retail release and get a feel for it.

With that said, I'll most likely be starting Marauder and want to know how to make better GAxes myself :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom