• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druz

Londa said:
I don't understand.
Why would SE release a ton of content for a beta test. They just want to make sure the game is working right. If they released more content, what would there be to look forward to on release day?

Also why would they give us a lot of content in beta when we are playing the game for free?

Do you not understand the concept of a beta? This isn't Call of Duty.

notworksafe

MiloFoxburr said:
I got the impression that we are just there for Stress Testing and Feedback on Gameplay.
Well bug reports are closed for everyone because of "technical difficulties". Even us Alpha people.

Khrno

Mister Zimbu said:
If it was earlier in the product cycle I could understand this amount of content, but with less than two months until release, if they're intentionally holding back such a large amount of content in an MMO from testing then I'm definitely very concerned about how stable the untested content will be at release.

To be fair, they don't have to test every quest or mission or piece of gear with all the beta testers. SE does have their internat QA department which are the ones in charge to test every single quest, item, mob, area, etc.

What SE need to test and fix asap are their stability, servers, and last but not least battle and controls, all those can be done with something as little as the current content on this beta: the Limsa-Lominsa region and decent amount of mobs for 100k people to kill.

And for the guildleves, it's all about the data transfer, amount of people taking quests at a single time, trying to complete the same quests and have enough mobs/space for most people to do them without waiting too much, and completing the quests, receiving rewards.

Some other things as someone mentioned before in this thread, crafting seems to be a main feature they want tested at this time, to see how people likes the system, and how reliable could be for the economy and players, and then again, they don't need to have all the crafting recipes available now, with 20-30% is more than enough to test these scenarios. Their QA will take care of making sure that crafting a high level sword doesn't blow up your PC.

Londa

Banned
Palmer_v1 said:
However, the most recent batch of beta testers don't have access to the bug report forums and such, so what ARE we supposed to be doing?

Most likey stressing the servers and they just put JP, NA, EU all together so I assume they are testing worldwide servers now.

If you look at the current known issues they show that they know they are witholding content and that they plan to release it soon once they can make it as bug free as possible.

Bug Forums are under maintenance.

Palmer_v1

Does anyone know if particular races will be tied to specific start points like in FFXI?

I'm kind of hoping they'll leave it up to the player this time, since the boat intro lends itself to having any race show up at any port.

Londa

Banned
Druz said:
Do you not understand the concept of a beta? This isn't Call of Duty.

Never played that game nor care to but in a beta test they do not have to let everyone test 100% of the game. They already said a million times that the beta test would be at most 1/4 of the game. So you can complain til you turn blue but you aren't getting it. So sorry.

beta testing is testing the mechanics of the game not giving everyone a free trail.

Amneisac

Palmer_v1 said:
Does anyone know if particular races will be tied to specific start points like in FFXI?

I'm kind of hoping they'll leave it up to the player this time, since the boat intro lends itself to having any race show up at any port.

I didn't think races were tied to specific starting points in FFXI. That depends on which city you chose. I think that's just in WoW.

Palmer_v1 said:

Yeah, they've hinted at certain races/clans being a majority in certain cities. The Seawolf Roegadyn, for instance, are mentioned to mostly stay in Limsa Lominsa.

Nose Master

Londa said:
Never played that game nor care to but in a beta test they do not have to let everyone test 100% of the game. They already said a million times that the beta test would be at most 1/4 of the game. So you can complain til you turn blue but you aren't getting it. So sorry.

beta testing is testing the mechanics of the game not giving everyone a free trail.

Yeah, and 1/4 of the entire content of an MMO is absolutely massive. What's the problem, exactly?

Jinko

Amneisac said:
I hope it was new, because it's quite obvious what they need now is more people trying to login in the games.

:lol

Komoto: As far as a plan, we have the next two years mapped out, and a ton of ideas stored up beyond that. We have more and more things we want to try, but we have to also have to examine how users play the game. The ideal would be to combine our ideas with what the users want and deliver something good for everyone.

For those worried about content.

Londa

Banned
Nose Master said:
Yeah, and 1/4 of the entire content of an MMO is absolutely massive. What's the problem, exactly?

My point was in my post which was a reply/directed to a different poster. If you can't understand, oh well. It wasn't ment for you anyways.

desa

Teknoman said:
That shouldnt happen the way the game is built...but then again MMO communities can get really picky at times. I think the problem with XI is that things would get so challenging at times because of the way the battles worked, once someone found an easy way to do it, no one wanted to try anything else. Other thing that sucked was how you always had to go to the wiki to find out anything. Fortunately, XIV seems to be progressing in the right direction as far as info goes. Now we just need synth hints and a synth journal.

Also remember that abilities are the only things that can be swapped between professions, so you wont see any spell casting marauders.

Well trial and error sucked in that game because of the xp penalties, the wait/delay on instances, and how expensive preparation is at times.. Too much downtime that wasn't fun for the most part for people to experiment much.

Amneisac said:
I hope it was new, because it's quite obvious what they need now is more people trying to login in the games.

You know, it's not a bad idea to hammer the servers with even more people. The more prepared they are, the better.

Hopefully they send me an e-mail soon.

Khrno

Amneisac said:
I didn't think races were tied to specific starting points in FFXI. That depends on which city you chose. I think that's just in WoW.

Every race had their own stats: Tarus low mp - high int, Elvaans high str/mnd - low everything, Mithras high dex/agi - low str, etc.

And the city only determined the stats you received with the starter rings.

desa said:
because of the xp penalties

notThisShitAgain.gif

Jinko

DoctorWho said:
You know, it's not a bad idea to hammer the servers with even more people. The more prepared they are, the better.

Hopefully they send me an e-mail soon.

According to the patch notes they tried to improve the server load, seems it backfired on them though, adding more tester's will just make ther servers crash and then nobody gets to test anything.

Can understand you wanting to get in though :)

Game.co.uk said:
As you may already be aware, the UK release date for Final Fantasy XIV Collector's Edition has changed to 30-Sep-2010. Changes to release dates are relatively common in the videogames industry and are unfortunately beyond our control.

WTF !!

Edit urgh nevermind the next email said 22nd ... stupid Feckers.

It's not cryptic. They already announced that the tests scheduled for Saturday and Sunday were cancelled. With today cancelled, the next play time is next week.

Jinko

As much as I wana play, I am hoping the extra 2 days will give them time to do much of what they wanted in the following list.

[Planned Adjustments]

Listed below are details on some of the upcoming changes. Although these changes will not be in place by the time of the first test, we are currently working to ensure that they are implemented at some time during the course of beta testing.

Event Related:
- The steps required to acquire and activate a levequest will be simplified
- The functioning of the Teleport and Return commands will be changed → Will not be usable during combat → Period of time before effect takes place will be shortened
- Stand rentals will be not be extensible
* Retainers and stands are both new features which will be implemented in the beta test, and which can be used in the market areas
- The amount of in-game information available regarding Behests will be increased
* Behests are a new feature which will be implemented in the beta test which allow players to engage on quests to defeat monsters

Battle Related:
- Overall balancing adjustments:
→ The range from which enemies can be attacked will be adjusted → The area of effect of spells targeting allies will be adjusted → Battle Regimens will be adjusted to compensate for the changes to the battle system, namely the increased tempo of combat
- Targeting controls will be improved, and how targets are prioritized will be adjusted
- A macro system that allows for simple execution of multiple actions will be added
- The archer ability Refill will display how many arrows have been obtained
- Navigation controls on the Attributes & Gear screen will be adjusted → Player will be able to check all skill ranks without changing their class → A macro system that allows for easy equipment changes will be added → Players will be able to view anticipated changes to attribute values before equipment is actually changed
- An animation effect when a character’s physical level increases will be added
- Players will be able to view when an attribute value will increase before allotting attribute points

Item Related:
- Individual gathering attempts will have the chance to yield multiple items

System Related:
- Adjustments to the main menu
→ The delay experienced when opening and closing windows will be reduced → Exiting query windows with the cancel button will be made possible → Position of icons will be changed to increase their visibility
- Multi-page scrolling will be implemented on item screens
- Search and recruitment conditions will be adjusted to ease the process of seeking parties
- Adjustments to chat controls
→ Opening the chat prompt with keyboard input will be made possible → Using shortcut keys to reply will be made possible → Sending tells to a targeted player will be simplified
- The scrolling speed of the map will be improved
- The directional keys to control the camera will be changed in order to improve gameplay using the keyboard
- Closing the main menu with the mouse will be made possible

LowParry

So did anyone get any sort of time in playing? Some on the beta forums were saying when they were in game the short time they were on, it rather pretty smooth.

Jinko

Yea played for about an hour and half, was smoother but still suffered from FPS problems in town and when loading a lot of players.

desu

CcrooK said:
So did anyone get any sort of time in playing? Some on the beta forums were saying when they were in game the short time they were on, it rather pretty smooth.

Well the masses couldnt log in, so I would expect that it ran rather smooth with everyone not being able to log in.

Zomba13

I played for a good 2 hours or there abouts. Got from character creation all the way to level 5 with rank 1 (almost 2) in con, rank 1 thau, rank 1 lancer and rank 1 gladiator. Did all the battle guildleves (none of the land/hand ones) and got to the light house in the storyline and did some exploring. Oh and almost got killed by a dodo.

CcrooK said:

I got in at a round 6:00am this morning for about 30mins, just long enough to make a new gladiator on Shadowlord only to get a C++ error and spam the client until i heard the news about the canceled tests.

Khrno

Jinko said:
As much as I wana play, I am hoping the extra 2 days will give them time to do much of what they wanted in the following list.

- The directional keys to control the camera will be changed in order to improve gameplay using the keyboard

HELL-YEAH.jpg

And basically all those adjustments are great.

Jinko

:O .(copied from BG) 800 dmg a hit supposedly

There was a NM in FF11 with the same name, so perhaps this is the first NM we have seen. :D

vodyanoi.png

Nose Master

so the file that grump posted, the sqaureenix.rar... that's supposed to entirely replace your current directory, right? If I downloaded 30% of the patch previously, should I delete the patch file in my documents after replacing my current directory, or?

Otheradam

I downloaded the 3gb patch file from the link in the first post, where do I put it so the client recognizes it and installs rather than try to torrent it?

Pachinko

I came home all excited to play this tonight hoping they fixed the lag somehow too but instead they cancelled the test ?

Ah well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gromph said:
It's not a mmorpg,.
Dont have near 100k people trying to login in a few servers at same time. :p
Joke?

When the SC2 beta came back there were 650,000+ players on within the first hour.
To be fair matchmaking suffered the same problems FF14 had :lol (Fixed now though)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Hazaro said:
Joke?

When the SC2 beta came back there were 650,000+ players on within the first hour.
To be fair matchmaking suffered the same problems FF14 had :lol (Fixed now though)
:D

SC2 had its bad days but at least we could watch replays or once the editor came out do build testers! :lol

Alex

Blizzard's modern online infrastructure and general R&D into all that it entails is really, really, really good and they have the money and peace of mind to ensure that it stays that way. It's not really surprising the loads and quality of matchmaking their servers control.

I'm somewhat worried about FFXIV, not the content, I mean I actually think it's a good idea if they've turned most of the game off, but it really seems like they're having a lot of problems both in tech and even some crucial design elements for a game that's only got a few months to go.

But whatever, as long as it's not buggy and I haven't heard too much from really bad bugs yet.

Incomplete? Ok, it'll come in time and even a barebones launch MMO can hold onto people. Buggy? You are fucked, prepare the life rafts. People do not tolerate buggy in launch MMOs anymore, it has outright *murdered* a few of the last, especially Age of Conan.

Teknoman

Party combat, and probably most of Kurokikaze's videos got shot down.

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Association of Copyright for Computer Software."

Strangely not by Square Enix.

EDIT: NM the rest are still up.

LaneDS

Alex said:
Blizzard's modern online infrastructure and general R&D into all that it entails is really, really, really good and they have the money and peace of mind to ensure that it stays that way. It's not really surprising the loads and quality of matchmaking their servers control.

I'm somewhat worried about FFXIV, not the content, I mean I actually think it's a good idea if they've turned most of the game off, but it really seems like they're having a lot of problems both in tech and even some crucial design elements for a game that's only got a few months to go.

But whatever, as long as it's not buggy and I haven't heard too much from really bad bugs yet.

Incomplete? Ok, it'll come in time and even a barebones launch MMO can hold onto people. Buggy? You are fucked, prepare the life rafts. People do not tolerate buggy in launch MMOs anymore, it has outright *murdered* a few of the last, especially Age of Conan.

What do they win if it's buggy AND incomplete Alex?

...your username made that question way more fun to ask.

K.Sabot

So I download the files through a torrent device and I install them.

"Derp, you have the wrong version. Here, download the entire client with a few minor changes again please."

Christ in heaven.

Teknoman

K.Sabot said:
So I download the files through a torrent device and I install them.

"Derp, you have the wrong version. Here, download the entire client with a few minor changes again please."

Christ in heaven.

Did you get them from another site or the opening post?

Oh, watching tank videos...being a tank seems really varied this time around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms0uBpd3ds0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW57ghyMOmM

Do a decent amount of damage with various slash and stab attacks, then attack from behind your shield and time your blocks.

EDIT: I need to get set up on the vent server, was going to do it today...but then the test exploded :lol

hgplayer1

Teknoman said:
Did you get them from another site or the opening post?

Oh, watching tank videos...being a tank seems really varied this time around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms0uBpd3ds0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW57ghyMOmM

Do a decent amount of damage with various slash and stab attacks, then attack from behind your shield and time your blocks.

EDIT: I need to get set up on the vent server, was going to do it today...but then the test exploded :lol

those are nice vids. that guy was obviously not having problems with framerates or lag.

I wonder why he was scrolling though the commands instead of just using the 1-0 keys?

dammit it sucks that we didnt get to play today.

oh also I hope we get some option for the minimap to rotate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom