• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

gryvan

It's a problem with the game client.

(1) Turn off all applications that create an overlay. FRAPS, MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision, Geforce Experience, etc.

(2) Are you overclocked? Revert to stock and try that.

(3) Here's where you get into trying weird solutions. Hopefully you haven't gotten this far. Reddit post has more:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3avur2/dx11_client_possible_fix_if_your_game_keeps/

Good luck. It took me 4 days to fix my crashes with my new 980 Ti.

So that's why I've been getting black screens...gawd damn it SE

I ended up skipping a lot of the MSQ cutscenes in my first run through. I plan on going back and watching them on youtube.

I didn't want to keep people waiting. Seems like a shitty way to experience the story though.

All you fair weather DRGs can GTFO, I was here first. Go be SMNs or something. XD

On a serious note we'll really need to see the new raids to truly determine what'll be best for progression. I'm not a min max type of player anyways so I'll keep on rolling regardless, but yeah.

Klyka

Banned
I ended up skipping a lot of the MSQ cutscenes in my first run through. I plan on going back and watching them on youtube.

I didn't want to keep people waiting. Seems like a shitty way to experience the story though.

Watch them in the inn room! that way you get YOUR character to star in them

So I'm a super newbie with regards to this game. Last night I finally got a chocobo! My character is 28 pug, but I'm aiming to make her a monk. Are monks a viable class? Admittedly, after skimming over this thread it has caused mild anxiety because I couldn't tell either way. I really want to play and have fun, but I also don't want to be a loser if I get set into a party.

Ken

So I'm a super newbie with regards to this game. Last night I finally got a chocobo! My character is 28 pug, but I'm aiming to make her a monk. Are monks a viable class? Admittedly, after skimming over this thread it has caused mild anxiety because I couldn't tell either way. I really want to play and have fun, but I also don't want to be a loser if I get set into a party.

Everything is fine. The only thing you should focus on is being a good player at the job.

Out of curiosity, how long are you willing to sit in Party Finder for a group to do a cutscene run with?

all classes are fine. play what you want. To answer the question monks are good.

Watch them in the inn room! that way you get YOUR character to star in them

Shit. I completely forgot about the Inn. Thanks for reminding me.

I have grown attached to the look of my character and would feel weird seeing anyone else as the Warrior of Light.

Out of curiosity, how long are you willing to sit in DF for a group to do a cutscene run with?
I would have no problem waiting. I want other people to experience the story. This is Final Fantasy, not some boring ass MMO with a second rate story.

Neku054

Neo Member

Play the class you enjoy, don't let others opinion change that. FFXIV endgame is pretty good at making sure most party compositions can complete any content as long as everyone is good at their jobs. There's just a huge influx of terrible players of all classes/jobs on all servers

brinstar

I'm working my way through the story for the first time and everything was pretty chill until Garuda. Holy shit I could not find a party that could get through this fight for a while.

all classes are fine. play what you want. To answer the question monks are good.

Play the class you enjoy, don't let others opinion change that. FFXIV endgame is pretty good at making sure most party compositions can complete any content as long as everyone is good at their jobs. There's just a huge influx of terrible players of all classes/jobs on all servers

Thank you! I was mostly playing and enjoying myself but then I thought I should check to see if there were ways I could improve my character. I started reading this thread and then I was like
zjxOtTf.gif

Stuart444

For a role that is meant to be very observant, a lot of tanks suck at observing their party. Running off without buffs like protect, running ahead and not waiting til the healer catches up/not noticing the healer being far behind, big pulls with classes that don't have great AoE (or in a low level dungeons before they get their aoe abilities), etc.

I see too many tanks like these in roulette :/ doesn't matter what tank job either.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Since we seem to be on a BRD discussion at the moment. Fellow GAF bards, do you feel we are behind by too much? I'm talking even in 2.x era. yes we have mobility (after our openers now and burn phases) yes we have utility (which as of 3.0 it isn't as important) but being 20% behind the lowest dps above us I think is too large of a gap in my opinion.

I was hoping that the changes in Heavensward would of changed that but as we know it's done quite the opposite for the most part. I like most of the competent bards out there just learned to deal with it but every once in a while it comes back up.

Edit: I should mention we are 20% lower on dps in Ideal situations. If anything in actual fights we are more around 15% possibly
I didn't picked the Bard because I wanted to do the most or near the most DPS compared to other classes. I choose the Bard Class because:

A-In RPGs I always try to pick Bow users if their available or other long range users not based on magic.

B-I like the idea of acting as support/battery on top of being a DPS Class (The role is less stale than other DPS Classes in my opinion).

C-The freedom of movement HOWEVER do know that it wasn't until Twitania (Because fuck tnose Twisters Mines) that I teached myself to take advantage of having the freedom of movement and I started liking the option since than but before that I was doing a lot of standing around.

I was fine with the way the Bard was in 2.x but in 3.0 they REALLY drop the ball because not only is Wanderer's Minuet useless (along with all the skills that are useless unless you use Wanderer's Minuet) but Wanderer's Peon is useless too because you have to be preentive about using it BEFORE your hit with a status effect and EVERY Dugeon or Raid your on will ALWAYS have a healer that has Esuna or some other variation of Esuna which makes the song even more useless.

I just baffled by these changes and I honestly have to wonder if these were properly tested before release. A better solution if they want to ENCOURAGE us to stand still is to get a 50% accuracy penalty if we move and attack at the same time but otherwise I'm terribly disappointed in Square-Enix.

We will see if they decide to make some actual changes to the class although it sounds like their taking the easy way out of this issue and will simply nerf the Bard Class again and Buff Wanderer's Minuet to force us to use it anyways.

Sorian

Banned
I just baffled by these changes and I honestly have to wonder if these were properly tested before release. A better solution if they want to ENCOURAGE us to stand still is to get a 50% accuracy penalty if we move and attack at the same time but otherwise I'm terribly disappointed in Square-Enix.

Hah, that wouldn't be encouragement, that would straight up be telling you to stand still or no one will ever bring you to fight anything ever.

Fanuilos

For a role that is meant to be very observant, a lot of tanks suck at observing their party. Running off without buffs like protect, running ahead and not waiting til the healer catches up/not noticing the healer being far behind, big pulls with classes that don't have great AoE (or in a low level dungeons before they get their aoe abilities), etc.

I see too many tanks like these in roulette :/ doesn't matter what tank job either.

I haven't had too many tanks like this. The other day I did have one group where I didn't get protect on everyone until halfway through the dungeon though. The tank was so busy running ahead that he didn't even notice that he losing threat on a mob.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Hah, that wouldn't be encouragement, that would straight up be telling you to stand still or no one will ever bring you to fight anything ever.
I would have been a FAR better option than forcing us to play a 3 second song to activate a Stance,lock skills behind such Stance and loosing Auto Attacks.

Uthred

I'm new too. Expecting random people to be your personal babysitter has its limits. Time is valuable to the group as a whole. It's unreasonable to expect people to march you down your own Praetorium parade when it pops. There's something like 35 minutes of cutscenes for the Praetorium.

If you're so quick to name calling and harassment over something so trivial maybe you should reconsider your place within a social game. Nobody is entitled to a perfect run of wildly outdated content.

They paid the money for the game and their subscription, they are of course entitled to run the content as intended. Thats what their money bought them. The only barrier to it is the selfishness of people farming it. This entire argument seems to rely on Praetorium, I have to ask, why are these 2pro2wait players running Prae in the first place? And why cant they do it via the PF?

iammeiam

Going to pipe up again and heavily encourage disenchanted Bards to pick up Machinist. The utility toolkit has some weirdness (Dismantle and Rend Mind should be one thing!!!) but the overall support capacity/flexibility ends up outstripping Bard. You lose Foe Req but gain the choice between smaller controlled raid-wide boosts for physical or magical damage, a stun, a knockback, the ability to quickly start pumping out regen even if the people you need to regen are nowhere near you, the ability to regen MP from almost nothing with proper use of hypercharge. The stand-still nature of Gauss Barrel is actually pretty easy to control; it feels more like you earn your freedom of movement with smart proc and ammo management than anything. RNG can and will screw you on occasion, And it needs some tweaks, but still.

It's not 2.x bard, but it's closer to a smart evolution of it than 3.0 bard is.

Plus turret buddies!

So, any PC users with controllers find temptation to switch to full keyboard?

After making the switch from BRD to MCH then finally MNK, I still feel pretty green at the job despite that I've had hardly any complaints about my performance. I didn't have a solid rotation, but learn more that there isn't a need for a "set in stone" rotation for MNK and you have to adjust your flow with the battle, as long as I keep certain debuffs up. I'm mostly behind the tank when it comes to threat on bosses, so at least I like to think I'm not slacking haha.

I am dreading the inevitable DF speedrunners who'll probably boot me for not being an AOE monkey but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Did try some rotations out, but tend to fumble all over myself with the extra controller hotbars and that ends up slowing me down when I tap LT>RT when I should of done RT>LT and vice versa. It gets hard for me to memorize what to press next, and now I'm beginning to see why keyboard users have like 5-8 lines of macros set up as they line up the order of what to use.

As a long time console player it's going to take me some adjustments.

They paid the money for the game and their subscription, they are of course entitled to run the content as intended. Thats what their money bought them. The only barrier to it is the selfishness of people farming it. This entire argument seems to rely on Praetorium, I have to ask, why are these 2pro2wait players running Prae in the first place? And why cant they do it via the PF?

Main Story Roulette, 60 you start getting Law I believe so 60s run them once per day.

Reveirg

Nobody is entitled to a perfect run of wildly outdated content.

Anyone that pays for the game is entitled to run story quests the way they were meant to be enjoyed.

Any criticism about long farming runs should be directed towards the dev team for handling Praetorium/etc. the way it is.

Ken

They paid the money for the game and their subscription, they are of course entitled to run the content as intended. Thats what their money bought them.

SE gave them tools to run content as intended. It's called Party Finder.

The only barrier to it is the selfishness of people farming it.

You mean the same people keeping Duty Finder times to manageable levels?

This entire argument seems to rely on Praetorium, I have to ask, why are these 2pro2wait players running Prae in the first place? And why cant they do it via the PF?

Roulette bonus, especially for XP from 50-60. It's a nice break from dungeon spam. The poetics is whatever.

Anyone that pays for the game is entitled to run story quests the way they were meant to be enjoyed.

Any criticism about long farming runs should be directed towards the dev team for handling Praetorium/etc. the way it is.

In the end, Prae and CM were just poorly designed as duty finder content and I think they learned from this in the 3.0 stuff.

If you guys really don't want people who rush through CM/Prae, just set up a party finder to find 7 other like-minded people.

Neku054

Neo Member
I didn't picked the Bard because I wanted to do the most or near the most DPS compared to other classes. I choose the Bard Class because:

A-In RPGs I always try to pick Bow users if their available or other long range users not based on magic.

B-I like the idea of acting as support/battery on top of being a DPS Class (The role is less stale than other DPS Classes in my opinion).

C-The freedom of movement HOWEVER do know that it wasn't until Twitania (Because fuck tnose Twisters Mines) that I teached myself to take advantage of having the freedom of movement and I started liking the option since than but before that I was doing a lot of standing around.

I don't think we should be top dps or super close to it, I just think the gap between ranged physical dps and everyone else is too large. I also play bard because I like characters in RPGs and mmmorpgs that use bows. I however don't like the fact that we are a "battery" as you put it, or maybe I just don't like the idea that just because we provide support/utility to the party we are gimped by a large margin.

Plenty or other classes provide utility, more so now in 3.0 but we still get shafted hard.

WolvenOne

Honestly, standing still for higher DPS would make sense for bards, but it sounds like the implementation is kinda clunky. They need to make it a little more seamless, so bards can switch back and forth between mobility mode and turreting mode more easily.

But, that's just my view from the outside looking in. I could be entirely off base.

Reveirg

That's how you see it, but we could as well say PF is there for the farms, not the other way around.
Some people enjoy ARR for the story, not the end-game/farming.

In the end, Prae and CM were just poorly designed as duty finder content and I think they learned from this in the 3.0 stuff.
And on this, we can definitely agree. =)

Ken

That's how you see it, but we could as well say PF is there for the farms, not the other way around.
Some people enjoy ARR for the story, not the end-game/farming.

And on this, we can definitely agree. =)

People don't farm Prae/CM anymore, not since 2.1.

None of the story scenarios get farmed unless TT madness that I never got into. They're all one and done affairs and without roulette most people would only ever do them once, outside of helping friends or FC.

Sorian

Banned
I would have been a FAR better option than forcing us to play a 3 second song to activate a Stance,lock skills behind such Stance and loosing Auto Attacks.

Automatically missing and being able to do nothing about 75% of time while moving would have been a better solution? Please, I know your class has issues but it's not as bad as you seem to think.

iammeiam

Honestly, standing still for higher DPS would make sense for bards, but it sounds like the implementation is kinda clunky. They need to make it a little more seamless, so bards can switch back and forth between mobility mode and turreting mode more easily.

But, that's just my view from the outside looking in. I could be entirely off base.

Every time somebody tries to interject realism into a combat system wherein my four-foot-tall elf thing somehow shoots arrows that cause the wind to hurt somebody every three seconds for a while into giant dragons my brain explodes.

Uthred

Main Story Roulette, 60 you start getting Law I believe so 60s run them once per day.

You believe wrong I'm afraid, its 120 meaningless poetics

No, I'm pretty sure its called queuing for the dungeon via duty finder i.e. the activity the game tells them to do

You mean the same people keeping Duty Finder times to manageable levels?

They should be so thankful to the people badgering them to skip the content they want to see

Roulette bonus, especially for XP from 50-60. It's a nice break from dungeon spam. The poetics is whatever.
Tragic that the only way to level in HW is via dungeon runs and that the poor experienced players have no idea what to expect when queuing for a main scenario quest, its not like the roulette and new player bonus are clearly there to reward them for the common courtesy of letting new players see the content properly

Every time somebody tries to interject realism into a combat system wherein my four-foot-tall elf thing somehow shoots arrows that cause the wind to hurt somebody every three seconds for a while into giant dragons my brain explodes.

four foot? please you mean like 2 and a half. dont kid yourself

also elf? please you're a potato

WolvenOne

Problem with Prea and CM, is that once you do them there's really no reason to go back and do them again at this point. It's made worse by the fact that they're the only eight man dungeons in the game, and are stuck on their own odd little roulette.

Honestly, I feel like they'd have been better off adjusting the bosses/mobs to turn these into four-man dungeons. Then they could've dumped them onto much larger roulettes, problem solved. They're going to HAVE to do something like this eventually, because otherwise they'll need to keep increasing the Roulette incentive, and there's a point where that'd get ridiculous.

Xion_Stellar

Going to pipe up again and heavily encourage disenchanted Bards to pick up Machinist
That's what I always planned to do since their absence in 2.0 because there was a strong indication of a "Musketeer Class" 5 years ago after the game was data mined but that's going to have to wait until I finish leveling up my Astrologian because the two irl friends who I played with decided to go with DPS Classes (they are both Lv.41) so in order for me to play with them I had to pick up a Healer Class.

Problem with Prea and CM, is that once you do them there's really no reason to go back and do them again at this point. It's made worse by the fact that they're the only eight man dungeons in the game, and are stuck on their own odd little roulette.

Honestly, I feel like they'd have been better off adjusting the bosses/mobs to turn these into four-man dungeons. Then they could've dumped them onto much larger roulettes, problem solved. They're going to HAVE to do something like this eventually, because otherwise they'll need to keep increasing the Roulette incentive, and there's a point where that'd get ridiculous.

When 4.0 comes out they can make so the new high end toys require 3 types of Tomes. Type A Tomes you can only get from 2.0 Roulettes, Type B Tomes you can only get from 3.0 Roulettes and Type C Tomes you can only get from 4.0 Roulettes.

fedexpeon

Banned

That is the right way to play. I cast protect on myself and pull 6-8 mobs before healer can catch up since i know how many mobs i can tank before the healer can get there. The best party is the one where the healer runs ahead of you to pull more mobs toward the tank. The faster the pace, the better people play.

After feeling completely overwhelmed initially, I dove straight in and leveled my gladiator to 18. I'm enjoying the performance of the game and how easily it controls with a PS4 controller. That may change when I get more skills, but it's good for now. I've talked two really simple introduction dungeon finder things, and earned commendations. Those instant tank queues are perfect and exactly why I love to do that and heal.

A few random questions:

1) Are gladiators one of the weakest damage classes for solo? I tend to kill slower than people around me.

2) At what level do I get a mount?

3) How and when can I swap classes? Should I keep grinding gladiator to 30 first?

4) Is it better to grind multiple jobs on the same character or start new alts? I'm not understanding the point of rerolling since I like my character aesthetic. Any benefits?

5) Am I crazy for wanting to try all three tanks?

Ken

No, I'm pretty sure its called queuing for the dungeon via duty finder i.e. the activity the game tells them to do

Yes, but you can't guarantee that 100% of CM/Prae players queued in via non-roulette DF.

They should be so thankful to the people badgering them to skip the content they want to see

It's that or sit around for hours and missing the queue pop because they fell asleep.

Tragic that the only way to level in HW is via dungeon runs and that the poor experienced players have no idea what to expect when queuing for a main scenario quest, its not like the roulette and new player bonus are clearly there to reward them for the common courtesy of letting new players see the content properly

Like I said, unless they baby-pen me to let someone watch a cutscene I'm going with the bigger wave of the day.

When I'm done getting a couple more things to 60 I'll stop doing MS roulette and no one will have to worry about me ruining their immersion.

Sorian

Banned
1) Are gladiators one of the weakest damage classes for solo? I tend to kill slower than people around me.

3) How and when can I swap classes? Should I keep grinding gladiator to 30 first?

4) Is it better to grind multiple jobs on the same character or start new alts? I'm not understanding the point of rerolling since I like my character aesthetic. Any benefits?

1) Gladiators are tanks, so yes, they are slow at DPS because that's not their job.

2) Sometime between 20 and 30, follow the main story quests as much as possible, you can get a chocobo once you join a grand company.

3) Grind Glad to 30 and then get whichever class is needed for PLD up to 15 (conjuror, I think)

4) This game expects you to have everything on one character, not make alts. You really only do alts if you want to raid with multiple different groups at the same time.

5) No, you'll need to level marauder/warrior for some extra skills anyway and most people that tank seriously have all 3 tanks ready to go at any time.

After feeling completely overwhelmed initially, I dove straight in and leveled my gladiator to 18. I'm enjoying the performance of the game and how easily it controls with a PS4 controller. That may change when I get more skills, but it's good for now. I've talked two really simple introduction dungeon finder things, and earned commendations. Those instant tank queues are perfect and exactly why I love to do that and heal.

A few random questions:

1) tanks are a bit slower in killing things, but it will pick up later on when you get more parts of your combo and additional skills

2) Lvl 20 after you join a grand company. Need 1000 seals

3). You will need to get conjurer or marauder to 15 to become a paladin. I believe the only restriction is that you need lvl 10 or something before you can pick up the other classes. You get classes by starting the quests at their respective locations. You become them when you equip the weapon they use. Uldah has monk/pugilist, thamaturge/black mage, and gladiator/paladin. Limsa has arcanist/scholar/summoner ninja, and marauder. Gridania has conjurer/white mage, bard/archer, and lancer/dragoon. the other crafter/gatherer classes are spread throughout these cities

4) Do everything on one character

5) No

WolvenOne

When 4.0 comes out they can make so the new high end toys require 3 types of Tomes. Type A you can only get from 2.0 Roulettes, Type B you can only get from 3.0 Roulettes and Type C you can only get from 4.0 Roulettes.

Uuuuhhh, no I don't think that'd be a good idea.

For one, no Tome currency is valuable forever, even if you can only get it from certain dungeons. It'd create a boomlet where people ran CM and Prea like crazy for a few weeks, and then once people farmed up what they needed they would never touch it again.

Second, it'd make the speed-runs even worse in CM and Prea.

CM and Prea are odd-men out, because the developers decided not to create any other content like that afterward. That's fine, CM and Prea had problems once people got away from the the 2.0 launch period, keeping MSQ down to 4 man dungeons and 8 man trials makes more sense. But CM and Prea cannot be the odd-man out forever, or eventually they'll turn into weird bottlenecks for new players. Best to adjust them, so they're one time four man dungeons. Hardest part would be the boss fights in CM, since a few of them are rather add-happy.

Ken

A few random questions:

1) they're tanks so yeah. Difference in kill times is probably no more than 10-15 seconds from a DPS though.

2) 20 iirc? It's part of main scenario around when you get grand company I think.

3) level 10 I think is when you unlock other jobs/airship to visit another main city I think. Take GLD to 30 and the prereq to 15 if you want to be paladin.

4) alts are nice for getting around weekly lockouts so you have a reason to run stuff multiple times, but since nearly all meaningful gear is untradeable you don't really gain advantage on one character for having an alt.

5) I finally finished all three tanks to 60 yesterday. They all definitely have different appeal.

PLD if you want simple rotations and a lot of mitigation cooldowns.

WAR if you like momentum based stack system.

DRK if you like risk/reward MP management play.

Top Bottom