• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What's the likelihood of Kagari switching to Dragoon so her group can clear something with less gear and more room for error for a little bit? Similar to Bookey switching back to Monk for T13 for their first clear with that Dragon Kick. Are there already betting odds for this?

Still need Foes Requiem for both casters.

Let's be honest here: the majority of most DF Prae/CM groups are people queued in from roulettes looking for that six-digit XP for 15 minutes of work, myself included. If I somehow get into a group with more than 4 new people wanting cutscenes then yeah, I kind of have to wait for them, otherwise I'm speeding through that stuff because I'm just there for the roulette rewards.

It's an unfortunate scenario but it's basically either subjecting new players to long queue times or increasing the player pool and speeding DF times with roulette rewards.

311k exp at 59 from a CM. Even if it's not better exp/time than Library it's a nice break from it.

the issue is the disjointed experience have at the end of the 2.0 story and missing out on what is probably the best boss fight in the game. Ppl tell the new ones to watch the cutscenes in the inn, but boss fights now have no context, and for ppl that want to watch the cutscenes they miss out on fights. Obviously they can run it again for the boss fights, but it's such a disservice to new players.

Still need Foes Requiem for both casters.

what casters? you're gonna be running 3 dragoons and a ninja

Sorian

Banned
All those complaints and yet we were doing it with all of those right at the start of progression lol.

Sure, why not? People complained about monk and war back in 2.0 days and yeah, look how they are now but that doesn't change that they were pretty shit back then. I do agree that we could have at least waited for a raid before crying though.

Bruh, max deeps is 4 SMN.

Klyka

Banned
If you don't take a guy into content because of his class and not because of his (lack of) skill, then you belong to the part of the community I don't want to play with.

Which I guess is fine,seeing how the community is large enough to sustain everyone.

Rektash

To be fair, back in the day when people complained about MNK and SMN not pulling their weight it was mostly true. Wasn't because of the classes though. People just didn't understand how to play them well/were bad at playing them.

As a Bard, how do I figure out my DPS without adding any mods to the client?

ask someone else with a parser. It's the only way. You can use the threat bar under your name when you're attacking bosses, and seeing what number you are, but it's a very basic way to measure with no real feedback

Ken

the issue is the disjointed experience have at the end of the 2.0 story and missing out on what is probably the best boss fight in the game. Ppl tell the new ones to watch the cutscenes in the inn, but boss fights now have no context, and for ppl that want to watch the cutscenes they miss out on fights. Obviously they can run it again for the boss fights, but it's such a disservice to new players.

The issue is they didn't exactly make Prae and CM DF friendly, especially when you look at how Research Facility is laid out.

If they seriously wanted to enforce a better story experience, then they should just baby-pen players or prevent the boss from spawning while someone is watching a cutscene. If that happens though I'm not going to bother with MS Roulette.

Sorian

Banned
ask someone else with a parser. It's the only way. You can use the threat bar under your name when you're attacking bosses, and seeing what number you are, but it's a very basic way to measure with no real feedback

Bards use quelling strikes usually, don't they? So the bar under the name won't mean much.

Lagamorph

Let's be honest here: the majority of most DF Prae/CM groups are people queued in from roulettes looking for that six-digit XP for 15 minutes of work, myself included. If I somehow get into a group with even one new person wanting cutscenes then yeah, I kind of have to wait for them, otherwise I'm speeding through that stuff because I'm just there for the roulette rewards..

Fixed that typo for you.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Classes will get changed. Numbers will be tweaked and classes will be balanced out. Playstyles of those classes will be fixed. Kneejerk reactions like "DPS checks in the future won't be met with a BRD or MCH" or anything similar are ridiculous.

People should stop with the doom and gloom and instead work towards getting better at the classes first before moaning about them.

I'll get to work, as a tank, raising the DPS of all the subpar BRD and MCH players. Should solve the PF banning in about a week. Thanks for the advice.

scy

2x DRG, NIN, MCH
2x SMN, NIN, BRD

Probably better overall.

Fixed that typo for you.

Sorry but one person is not more important than everyone else.

I'll get to work, as a tank, raising the DPS of all the subpar BRD and MCH players. Should solve the PF banning in about a week. Thanks for the advice.

No but you should at least work on not being low DPS for a tank.

iammeiam

As a Bard, how do I figure out my DPS without adding any mods to the client?

You don't, or you find somebody who parses and have them judge you.

I haven't tried the new EX primals. Are you bards only using WM for opener? D:

You don't have to move too much in Bis; Minuet should be up for the two on-Bismarck DPS checks and I'd say chuck it up after the first buff swap on adds because all your CDs come back up and you can burst opener on a snake which is not nothing. I left it up full time because stubborn, though.

Ravana has a bit more movement ; I turned it off for adds because cast times were making me miss most attacks as stuff would die too quickly and left it off during his DEF up phase. Otherwise I kind of worked on stutter step practice and learning when to expect parries to go up so I could move between GCDs (and usually run the wrong way and swear profusely because right and left are hard.)

Ken

Fixed that typo for you.

Nope. I had two people in my CM roulette last night that were new. We told them to feel free to do whatever and we burned through bosses without them.

Let's not pretend Square didn't anticipate that being the norm with the addition of MS Roulette. If they want, just add a Main Scenario Theater Roulette where no one can skip cutscenes but you get double rewards.

Lagamorph

Nope. I had two people in my CM roulette last night that were new. We told them to feel free to do whatever and we burned through bosses without them.

Let's not pretend Square didn't anticipate that being the norm with the addition of MS Roulette.

Then you are a terrible player, simple as that.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
No but you should at least work on not being low DPS for a tank.

That's why I picked DRK! But I'm finding myself really conservative with grit. I tend to only remove it and go balls out once I am pretty used to the fight. I think I should take more risks because I can always blame the healer for not pressing the heal button if I die.

The issue is they didn't exactly make Prae and CM DF friendly, especially when you look at how Research Facility is laid out.

If they seriously wanted to enforce a better story experience, then they should just baby-pen players or prevent the boss from spawning while someone is watching a cutscene. If that happens though I'm not going to bother with MS Roulette.

yea see this is where the issue lies. The expectation of what yoship wanted the MS roulette to be and what ppl are using the MS roulette as

suzu

In Ravana, yeah you can use it for the opener and the phases where he's got a damage up buff but outside of that? Nope.

You don't have to move too much in Bis; Minuet should be up for the two on-Bismarck DPS checks and I'd say chuck it up after the first buff swap on adds because all your CDs come back up and you can burst opener on a snake which is not nothing. I left it up full time because stubborn, though.

Ravana has a bit more movement ; I turned it off for adds because cast times were making me miss most attacks as stuff would die too quickly and left it off during his DEF up phase. Otherwise I kind of worked on stutter step practice and learning when to expect parries to go up so I could move between GCDs (and usually run the wrong way and swear profusely because right and left are hard.)

Ah, ok. I've been confused as to whether WM was worth keeping on all the time. Thanks!

Then you are a terrible player, simple as that.

He is the worse.

Ken

That's why I picked DRK! But I'm finding myself really conservative with grit. I tend to only remove it and go balls out once I am pretty used to the fight. I think I should take more risks because I can always blame the healer for not pressing the heal button if I die.

Darkside is the point of making Grit desirable for main tanking since it's only a 5% damage penalty while in tank stance, compared to the 20% of other tank stances.

yea see this is where the issue lies. The expectation of what yoship wanted the MS roulette to be and what ppl are using the MS roulette as

I really don't see how you guys think Roulette is there to facilitate cutscene runs.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Bard, BLM, SMN and Ninja. Which is fine, really. We also have DRK and PLD/WAR on the tank side so unless something is really wonky in the raid then I don't anticipate any issues. Yoshida said that their ultimate goal is for no one class to really be "needed" despite things like T13 needing Dragon Kick early on... we'll see if that's changed.

Download ACT (Advanced Combat Tracker) and run it in the background. Know that it's frowned on by the game's creators and don't talk about it in game around strangers.

You don't, or you find somebody who parses and have them judge you.

Thanks for the responses.

I have never had any complaints or issues except for that one person who wanted me to use Mage's Ballad.

So I need to finish all the 2.x story stuff before I can start levelling again right?

but I can buy the expansion now if I want to start on DRK or the other new classes?

I bought ARR before it was available on steam. can I just buy heavensward from steam now and get a key to register to my SE account? the client and account stuff is still handled by SE outside of steam right?

Squishy3

Alexander looks great, music is awesome too.

So I need to finish all the 2.x story stuff before I can start levelling again right?

but I can buy the expansion now if I want to start on DRK or the other new classes?

I bought ARR before it was available on steam. can I just buy heavensward from steam now and get a key to register to my SE account? the client and account stuff is still handled by SE outside of steam right?
dark knights' job trainer is in ishgard, which you need to finish the 2.55 storyline to get to.

if you don't own ffxiv on steam don't buy heavensward on steam

Darkside is the point of making Grit desirable for main tanking since it's only a 5% damage penalty while in tank stance, compared to the 20% of other tank stances.

I really don't see how you guys think Roulette is there to facilitate story/cutscene runs.

because that is what it's there for. why else would there be a roulette for main story if not to help ppl with the main story

Bards use quelling strikes usually, don't they? So the bar under the name won't mean much.

yea, it was more of if you're 4 outta 4 behind a healer, in some cases this may mean something

Neku054

Neo Member
Since we seem to be on a BRD discussion at the moment. Fellow GAF bards, do you feel we are behind by too much? I'm talking even in 2.x era. yes we have mobility (after our openers now and burn phases) yes we have utility (which as of 3.0 it isn't as important) but being 20% behind the lowest dps above us I think is too large of a gap in my opinion.

I was hoping that the changes in Heavensward would of changed that but as we know it's done quite the opposite for the most part. I like most of the competent bards out there just learned to deal with it but every once in a while it comes back up.

Edit: I should mention we are 20% lower on dps in Ideal situations. If anything in actual fights we are more around 15% possibly

scy

Not even entirely about taking risks but just things like actually dumping MP into DA Souleater combos, defaulting to more Delirium combos over threat combo, etc. STR gearing when you no longer need VIT, for instance.

Basically, just not being lazy as a tank.

I am being credited for a quote for something Nin Py said. All us highlander melee jerks are the same. RIP

Fixed it ... not entirely sure how that happened ;__;

#casualracism

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

If you buy the expansion, you immediately lift the lvl 50 cap and will begin progressing to 51+.

To get DRK and other jobs you will have to finish the main story line up to 2.55. The new classes are available in Ishguard and start at lvl 30.

And no, the steam version only upgrades the steam version. It sucks, but that is how things are.

Sorian

Banned

No, if you buy the expac, you'll start gaining exp past level 50 regardless of where you are in the story but a character can't become a DRK until after they get to Ishgard and you can't go there until you complete the 2.x story.

Not even entirely about taking risks but just things like actually dumping MP into Souleater combos, defaulting to more Delirium combos over threat combo, etc. STR gearing when you no longer need VIT, for instance.

Basically, just not being lazy as a tank.

Fixed it ... not entirely sure how that happened ;__;

#casualracism

was confused myself. thought jayhawk beat me to the punch

Klyka

Banned
Well shit.

You aren't a DRG, might as well quit now.

<3

scrub

tumblr_m6d02eBKmr1rzz01qo1_250.gif

Ken

because that is what it's there for. why else would there be a roulette for main story if not to help ppl with the main story

And then we get into the argument of what the minimum qualification is for what counts as "help ppl with the main story." Is it to get them a clear so they can proceed with the rest of MSQ or giving them the most immersive story experience and the clear.

And then we get into the argument of what the minimum qualification is for what counts as "help ppl with the main story." Is it to get them a clear so they can proceed with the rest of MSQ or giving them the most immersive story experience and the clear.

I say latter since it was intended, but yes this is where the crux of the issue is. Let them enjoy before they go back to doing clothing fetch quests post 2.0

Klyka

Banned
Guys, the Main Story roulette has one simple purpose:

It is to give an incentive to players who have already beaten their Main Story to still go back into it,thereby filling instances and providing a playerpool for newer players who are doing their story. Otherwise the playerpool would dry up more and more and new players would have a harder and harder time finding people to run it with them.

It is more important that you can run the content at all and not that you run it "right"

Jayhawk

Fairly sure Exelon hasn't found anybody yet... Our group is looking for a main tank to do some Alexander normal this week from Wednesday through Sunday. Our PLD will be on vacation for those days to continue his pattern of booking trips during raid releases. We'll be going hard Tuesday night before his vacation, but I am guessing we will also be running on Wednesday and Thursday nights. I won't be here Friday to Sunday, so I don't know if we'll be running then. Going to need a DPS replacement for me for those days too!

EDIT: We usually start around 9 or 9:30 PM EDT and go for a few hours before people have to take their blood pressure medication.

Since we seem to be on a BRD discussion at the moment. Fellow GAF bards, do you feel we are behind by too much? I'm talking even in 2.x era. yes we have mobility (after our openers now and burn phases) yes we have utility (which as of 3.0 it isn't as important) but being 20% behind the lowest dps above us I think is too large of a gap in my opinion.

I was hoping that the changes in Heavensward would of changed that but as we know it's done quite the opposite for the most part. I like most of the competent bards out there just learned to deal with it but every once in a while it comes back up.

Edit: I should mention we are 20% lower on dps in Ideal situations. If anything in actual fights we are more around 15% possibly

As someone who just started 3.0 content over the weekend I feel notably under powered when it comes to damage.

Once I hit 60 I think I am going to switch to something else. Bards get no respect.

I hope the way they setup Research Facility works out as it seems the best solution to keep new players from being cheapened out of an experience.

We won't know until like six months from now though, lol.

Ken

I say latter since it was intended, but yes this is where the crux of the issue is. Let them enjoy before they go back to doing clothing fetch quests post 2.0

Sure, I'll do cutscene runs when I queue up for my daily CM/Prae in regular Duty Finder.

Guys, the Main Story roulette has one simple purpose:

It is to give an incentive to players who have already beaten their Main Story to still go back into it,thereby filling instances and providing a playerpool for newer players who are doing their story. Otherwise the playerpool would dry up more and more and new players would have a harder and harder time finding people to run it with them.

It is more important that you can run the content at all and not that you run it "right"

You're a terrible player.

Top Bottom