• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Azzurri

NQHKSVE.gif

Honestly, and maybe it's just me since I've been playing MMO's since 1997, it takes me a good run or 2 for me to get the mechanics down.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Honestly, and maybe it's just me since I've been playing MMO's since 1997, it takes me a good run or 2 for me to get the mechanics down.

That's not what it is about, you need impeccable DPS and highest available gear to be able to blow through the current cap instances under 20 minutes. Fresh i145 runs used to take a bit over half an hour on the second/third day from release.

Azzurri

That's not what it is about, you need impeccable DPS and highest available gear to be able to blow through the current cap instances under 20 minutes. Fresh i145 runs used to take a bit over half an hour on the second/third day from release.

I meant just learning how to play a class coming in blind.

Okay brah.
Tell me what you did before 3.0.
Oh yeah, you gained your blessing by doing the same thing you are doing in 3.0
Hmm, so refreshing.
I keep hearing the term that FF14 is the greatest FF/MMO story even written...yeah, okay.
I think you are being intellectually dishonest in arguing this. "Gaining blessing" is not the main thrust and motivation or the story. Heck, it's not even mentioned once over the course of the journey; it's just something that happens in the meantime.

Might as well say that every RPG story is the same because all we do is fighting strong enemies in each one.

Frumix's comment is about the "id it within 20mins or less" part.

Sitting here doing the lvl 50 NIN quest....I can't be the only one that still wants a proper Thief soul stone can I?

I just wanna be a THF with no Mudra's or mudra lag :(

sora87

Damn, just started my Rogue tonight, got to level 7 and there's just no quests here in La Noscea.
Am I going to have to grind fates until I'm at a level where I can carry on the main quest?

Stuart444

Damn, just started my Rogue tonight, got to level 7 and there's just no quests here in La Noscea.
Am I going to have to grind fates until I'm at a level where I can carry on the main quest?

Do your hunting log, that's pretty good XP and fates on the side should be enough.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hunting log is your friend and you can also do levequests (if they are available on your level).

Wagram

Okay brah.
Tell me what you did before 3.0.
Oh yeah, you gained your blessing by doing the same thing you are doing in 3.0
Hmm, so refreshing.
I keep hearing the term that FF14 is the greatest FF/MMO story even written...yeah, okay.

No one said it was perfect, it's just that the genre is that bad for story telling/writing/quality/presentation.

fedexpeon

Banned

Hey, I was the tank so my dps didn't matter. So in the end, all I did was the same thing I am currently doing.
And all I ever do as a tank is to speedrun even with zero experience.
You can feel and tell within one pull how much damage you can tank to see how many mobs you can drag as you are running and if your healer is good or dps is good within 30 sec.
So what's hard not to believe?
You don't do the same?
The only thing I actually care in these runs is the timer on the right side. If it goes below 60, it is considered a failure.

sora87

Ok I'll do all of that then, thanks. It's hard wrapping my head around level progress with no quests after so many years playing WoW.

Arkeband

Banned
If you need the ilevel to access content, yes. If you are using it to simply have a higher ilevel then no.

Don't follow this advice. Wear appropriate gear, don't join content wearing stats that don't affect you, the entire reason the ilvl check exists is so you're not bringing down the group. At best everyone else will wish you weren't there, at worst you won't be able to clear it which means you wasted your own time.

It's not hard to get proper gear.

Khrno

How wrong is that.

Everyone knows that FFXI and its expansions are the greatest FF/MMO story ever written.

ARR/Heavensward stories are good, but that's it.

Don't follow this advice. Wear appropriate gear, don't join content wearing stats that don't affect you, the entire reason the ilvl check exists is so you're not bringing down the group. At best everyone else will wish you weren't there, at worst you won't be able to clear it which means you wasted your own time.

Yep

at least one person in the PT will inspect you, and if you're wearing something suspect and things go south, well...

Aeana

The Secret World has the best story stuff in an MMO, honestly. Not that anybody played that.

<3 Ragnar Tornquist. :(

Valor

A ring isn't going to kill your numbers or anything. You can always also use the ring to get into content and switch to the i90 one that has stats you need.

I've run with people using tank accessories as dps and all sorts of weird stuff. None of it matters in the end. If you need to wear an off piece of gear to get into like World of Darkness to get gear that actually progresses you, then do it.

If you need it to run steps of faith to get through that segment of the game and continue forward, do it.

suzu

I used to like the Vault, but now I kinda don't after running it a million times on my alt job. Can yoship make fates in HW areas better or something. ;(

A ring isn't going to kill your numbers or anything. You can always also use the ring to get into content and switch to the i90 one that has stats you need.

I've run with people using tank accessories as dps and all sorts of weird stuff. None of it matters in the end. If you need to wear an off piece of gear to get into like World of Darkness to get gear that actually progresses you, then do it.

If you need it to run steps of faith to get through that segment of the game and continue forward, do it.

Or just use one of the several avenues of getting gear available so you actually meet the relatively simple requirement...

Aeana

I used to like the Vault, but now I kinda don't after running it a million times on my alt job. Can yoship make fates in HW areas better or something. ;(
As a healer, I want to murder oblivious DPS on the last fight of the Vault. I've had super smooth runs, but more often than not, they get hit by the fire circles and the horses and asflknasdf

Next expansion Square-Enix [without explanation] should just place all players in a bubble underwater where we battle Cthulhu-styled creatures, attempting to earn enough gas to fuel our rocket ship so we can escape our prisoned confines of the ocean, only to propel ourselves into outer-space in our primary goal to overthrow the "Cyber Gaius Mach VII" who threatens dominion over all.

Why? 'cause why not?

I've been wanting to join Gaius since 2.0, why can't the story have branching paths Squenix

As a healer, I want to murder oblivious DPS on the last fight of the Vault. I've had super smooth runs, but more often than not, they get hit by the fire circles and the horses and asflknasdf

There's nothing more amusing than finishing the Vault with 1 or both DPS ded, just me and the healer whacking away at the boss with our nerf sticks for what seems like forever. Actually, did I say amusing? I meant annoying.

Bastards never commend me either before leaving

Arkeband

Banned

It's still scummy considering the meager effort required to meet any of the current level requirements.

suzu

For me it's the other dps (or sometimes healer) that won't move away to break chains. Or when they do move they end up running into the horses. lol

Also the melee dps who never ever use LB. Why?!

Khrno

Arr is just serviceable, i wouldn't even say it is good in terms of storywise.

I think that's what makes it good, since it's a feel good story, nothing bad about that unless you don't like those types of stories. Specially coming after the train wreck that was 1.x, it was good they finished the 2.0 story that way, and not how they finished 2.5 (or w/e was the last story patch before HS) , because that would have been grim, but they rolled out the credits for 2.0 at a good point.

Soma

to be fair it's sometimes kiiiiiiiiinda hard to see those fire circles with the orange lighting in that area <_<

Uthred

I'm thinking that 3.0 will close with a Calamity level event, so 4.0 will be an expansion everyone can participate in from the jump.

I think they'll just move to another area of the world, but one that ties into both low level and high level content i.e. Ala Mhigo. It gets mentioned early on in the storyline, so you can have new players get to lvl 15/30 (and allow new classes from the get go, just stick them in Uldah as refugees) and get a story lead in to it and it also works for max level players as it pops up here and there in later storylines.

Actually now that I wrote that I realised one issue I hadnt thought much about before, traditional MMO's use level gating, so all the new areas are MAXLVL+, FFXIV uses story gating, but it amounts to the same thing. So going into 4.0 you are going to have max level up to date players and then potential new players and story skippers. Which means if they want the new area to be instantly accessible they either have to make twice the content i.e. 1-60 content for the new area as well as 60-70 for the new area, or start new players off at 60. Making twice the amount of content (well probably not twice, but still sizeable extra content for the 1-50/60 new players) seems untennable, so boosting new players to max level would be the quickest way to do it. Or they could radically ramp up xp for the story and trim it down a bit, which wont satisfy people who want to skip. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

to be fair it's kiiiiiiiiinda hard to see those fire circles with the orange lighting in that area <_<

I think the worst case of crappy lighting is the
Demon Book
in The Library, the ground effects are weirdly faded out, as opposed to Demon Wall which you can spot no problem

I just don't think there is any reason to not gear up properly for contents besides "but I want to do it NOW".

Uggghhhhh. I just moved over the weekend and won't have internet until at least Wednesday. Alls I wanna do is play FFXIV. I guess I should unpack and set up my apartment in the mean time...

Aeana

Uggghhhhh. I just moved over the weekend and won't have internet until at least Wednesday. Alls I wanna do is play FFXIV. I guess I should unpack and set up my apartment in the mean time...

Situations like these are why god invented cell phone tethering.

First full day of playing the base game and I'm pretty much gonna be spending a lot of time with it. That coupled with it being my first MMO and it's perfect for me.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Never been the biggest fan of this game's story, especially when it came to the ARR storyline. It certainly had it's moments but I never enjoyed it as much as I see some people around here enjoying it. Heavansward was definitely a step up in terms of story in almost every way. Certainly paid more attention to it this time around.

I'm not done yet, but as I approach 60 I have to say the latter half of the HW story is really, really freaking good. For the first time I'm actually hooked on it. The cutscene as you travel into the last area was incredible.

Sylas

I'm going to go ahead and predict right now that Ishgard won't be gated after 3.1 or 3.2 due to how the MSQ ends
with Ishgard officially re-entering the Eorzean Alliance

If that's what they do, I think it's likely that it was initially gated to prevent a complete and utter bumrush of new people into the zones and crashing them. Spreading things out just a little bit helps.

Soma

Post-Great Gubal Library story spoilers:
Damn... I can't take all these damn sacrifices in this game. ;________;

Ayumi

I'm online on Ultros right now (Ayu Mie) for a few if anyone wants to add me (since apparently you can't add people without them being online).

Quote this post if you add me so I know who you are~
Thanks and &#12424;&#12429;&#12375;&#12367;&#65281;

kuroshiki

Never been the biggest fan of this game's story, especially when it came to the ARR storyline. It certainly had it's moments but I never enjoyed it as much as I see some people around here enjoying it. Heavansward was definitely a step up in terms of story in almost every way. Certainly paid more attention to it this time around.

I'm not done yet, but as I approach 60 I have to say the latter half of the HW story is really, really freaking good. For the first time I'm actually hooked on it. The cutscene as you travel into the last area was incredible.

Mostly due to ARR storyline has to somewhat related to 1.0's storyline. It was serviceable, ok at best, but never enjoyable to me.

Heavensward definitely made a lot of improvement.

Still not good enough though.
Basically no one fucking dies in this game except our bro hau.
and all the sidequests stories have been utmost shit.

Soma

I'm online on Ultros right now (Ayu Mie) for a few if anyone wants to add me (since apparently you can't add people without them being online).

Quote this post if you add me so I know who you are~
Thanks and &#12424;&#12429;&#12375;&#12367;&#65281;

sending request~

After leveling Bard to 50 I'm torn between starting another class or continuing on to 60, I'm not a big fan of what S-E considers a support class but I really want to catch up to relevant content.

Someone help me decide. :(

kuroshiki

After leveling Bard to 50 I'm torn between starting another class or continuing on to 60, I'm not a big fan of what S-E considers a support class but I really want to catch up to relevant content.

Someone help me decide. :(

get one job to 60 ASAP.

1. When you do that the secondary job will get 50% additional exp bonus. EVEN IN FATES!

2. Some seals (which requires for you to get) and additional tomestones won't be unlocked for you until you have lv 60 job.

3. Your retainer's level is determined by your job. If your retainer is archer and your main job is archer 60, your retainer can lv up to 60. Otherwise they are stuck with whatever lv you have for that specific job.

Ken

For me it's the other dps (or sometimes healer) that won't move away to break chains. Or when they do move they end up running into the horses. lol

Also the melee dps who never ever use LB. Why?!

Stop putting down bad Ley lines.

Stop putting down bad Ley lines.

What does Ley Lines do? I know nothing about the new BLM abilities.
ED: Never mind, looked it up. That shouldn't affect melee DPS not busting off tho lol

Melee DPS being reluctant to pop LB is really annoying though. It doesn't have to be a finisher, especially if you go into the fight with full bar lol

Top Bottom