• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Ken

What does Ley Lines do? I know nothing about the new BLM abilities.

Melee DPS being reluctant to pop LB is really annoying though. It doesn't have to be a finisher, especially if you go into the fight with full bar lol

I have no idea I'm a tank. I just like making fun of suzu and pulling mobs away when I see Ley lines go down.

get one job to 60 ASAP.

1. When you do that the secondary job will get 50% additional exp bonus. EVEN IN FATES!

2. Some seals (which requires for you to get) and additional tomestones won't be unlocked for you until you have lv 60 job.

3. Your retainer's level is determined by your job. If your retainer is archer and your main job is archer 60, your retainer can lv up to 60. Otherwise they are stuck with whatever lv you have for that specific job.

Alright, I guess I'll soldier on for now then. Thanks!

Soma

exhausted all my lv 59 main story quests. unlocked the coolest mount.

should be ready for alexander by the end of this week at least. enough time to watch streams/guides so i don't completely embarrass myself :'D

After leveling Bard to 50 I'm torn between starting another class or continuing on to 60, I'm not a big fan of what S-E considers a support class but I really want to catch up to relevant content.

Someone help me decide. :(

I also am a Bard at 52, not enjoying the class already once it got to songs(still in 2.4) and am dreading playing the HW content. I've decided to power through to 60 though and then start towards a monk or ninja, haven't decided.

To me, the songs are just too unclear as to their utility in battle. When I use them to try to help the group, half of the time someone yells at me. When I don't use them, they yell at me. I probably just just suck but at this point, despite reading a lot and trying my best, I still can't ever feel like my class is worth it.

Now that I am getting familiar with Realm Reborn I am interested how the game was originally considering the negativity. I just can't imagine how different it could have been since thus far it is pretty much your standard WoW clone that I would have imagined the original to be.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Mostly due to ARR storyline has to somewhat related to 1.0's storyline. It was serviceable, ok at best, but never enjoyable to me.

Heavensward definitely made a lot of improvement.

Still not good enough though.
Basically no one fucking dies in this game except our bro hau.
and all the sidequests stories have been utmost shit.

Where those Side Quests bad because they were standard fodder or because you didn't like the story lore from them? Because I liked the SQs simply because of the story it provides:

-I still remember that little girl who stole woods from us in an early SQ in the Brume only to do another SQ later on and found out that she still froze to death somehow

-I remember that Soldier in the Cloudtops who despite being assigned a shitty post he wasn't going to let that kill his spirits/pride for the job and he was eager to raise the spirits of his fellow soldiers in the same post as him

-I remember that old man in the Falcon's Nest who talked about how he was part of deserted village buried beneath the Snow and how he wished that show the others that knowledge from the past shouldn't be left behind

-I remember that soldier who came to the bitter cold wasteland to find his death because his household no longer has any sort of power but I helped him realise that life is worth living

-I remember playing Hide and Seek with that little Dragon,helping him find food for his mother and brother, and teaching him a valuable life lesson that while their are those who would harm his kind on sight he shouldn't label all non dragons as enemies and they are some good in others.

And I could go on but honestly some of the most memorable moments in the Expansion to me was all the things I got to see in those Side Quests and I know they are not very engaging to do but it was worth going through the sludge just to get more EXP and more SQ story. Fuck those Moogles though nobody likes doing SQs for them.

Korezo

People still wipe to dungeons in this game... I thought those AK days were over... Group disbanded because the dps and healers couldnt handle final boss with the mines and glowing platform.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Now that I am getting familiar with Realm Reborn I am interested how the game was originally considering the negativity. I just can't imagine how different it could have been since thus far it is pretty much your standard WoW clone that I would have imagined the original to be.

If you feel like getting a general idea watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0xUBUHzJI8

Ferr986

Original FFXIV was not a WoW clone. It was more like FFXI

I also am a Bard at 52, not enjoying the class already once it got to songs(still in 2.4) and am dreading playing the HW content. I've decided to power through to 60 though and then start towards a monk or ninja, haven't decided.

To me, the songs are just too unclear as to their utility in battle. When I use them to try to help the group, half of the time someone yells at me. When I don't use them, they yell at me. I probably just just suck but at this point, despite reading a lot and trying my best, I still can't ever feel like my class is worth it.

That's basically how I feel as well, I'm considering either just going for healer or full dps rather than this dps class with support abilities.

kuroshiki

That's basically how I feel as well, I'm considering either just going for healer or full dps rather than this dps class with support abilities.

Life of DPS is tough one, brother.

Say what you will but I think awesome damage dealer is more welcome addition than any healer or tank. Raid is all about how much DPS one can pull out at given period of time.

the original was apparently ffxi-2/everquest clone.

the game was supposed to come out for ps3 march 2011 but it sucked so bad that it got canned and rebooted.

chrono01

What does Ley Lines do? I know nothing about the new BLM abilities.
ED: Never mind, looked it up. That shouldn't affect melee DPS not busting off tho lol

Melee DPS being reluctant to pop LB is really annoying though. It doesn't have to be a finisher, especially if you go into the fight with full bar lol
Ley Lines is a BLM ability that increases the users' attack speed by 15% as long as they remain in the circle (the duration is 30s with a 90s recast timer). They can move in/out of it without it disappearing, but the haste buff drops the second you exit. From my experience, it's also an AOE magnet. The second I throw it down is when the boss decides to drop something right on top of it. It never fails.

4 hours long maintenance? IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY? What am I supposed to do today. ; w ;
Prepare your body for Alexander greatness, of course!

But yes, I can imagine how maintenance during prime-time would be frustrating. :(

Life of DPS is tough one, brother.

Say what you will but I think awesome damage dealer is more welcome addition than any healer or tank. Raid is all about how much DPS one can pull out at given period of time.

I don't doubt that, and I'd rather play a class that can focus on outputting the most DPS possible rather than messing around with support abilities.

It'd be different if Bard mainly spent its time singing/playing tunes, I would enjoy that, but right now I feel like its support mechanics aren't involving enough.

Reknoc

Eh songs aren't really that complicated; got a BLM, SMN, and I want to say NIN(?) in your party? Make sure to pop Foe's Requiem. Healer looking low on MP? Mages Ballad. Want to stop having fun with your class for minimal gain? Wanderer's Minuet.

Soma

when i was playing bard (i plan on going back to it after leveling drg to 60) my train of thought was: as soon as a healer revives someone or a black mage uses flare, it's time to sing some ballads. Usually i would keep an eye on their MP bars halfway during boss fights.

It's a bit harder to tell when to sing paeon since there's no way to see your party member's TP bars in the HUD(that i know of) so I just wait till someone shouts in the chat.

Ayumi

Prepare your body for Alexander greatness, of course!

But yes, I can imagine how maintenance during prime-time would be frustrating. :(

I'm a new player so I'm just eager to level up as fast as possible~
Higher level crafting is a grind and a huge money sink.

You mean the crafting levels, right? I meant if I start crafting at class level 50 or 60 instead of now, if it's gonna cost me more.

Alright, I guess I'll soldier on for now then. Thanks!

Note that the list isn't actually accurate. You get the xp bonus as long as you have one class higher level, it doesn't have to be 60, or 50. It can be level 2, and your level 1 will gain bonus xp(well technically there might be a minimum, but it works at 30 so it's low). It's also 100% bonus xp for 1-49, then 50% until 60.

The seals are only unlocked when doing content with the max level, content that can be used to level up(low level duty roulette, then for 50-60, high level duty roulette, though that needs to be unlocked, as well as trials). But unlocking it really doesn't do a whole lot, especially since all it unlocks, currently, are uncapped seals. So you get the EXDR daily which gives you 80 laws a day bonus, but that's just one more run, it won't make a huge difference. Unlike capped tomes that you'd want to cap every week asap, laws you can farm as much as you want. Capped tomes are coming though, in about 2weeks, so it might be short to make it.

Retainer is right, but depending on how much you play and how far you've gotten, your retainer might be quite a bit behind anyway. Hell if you haven't started, it doesn't even matter. If you did make an archer retainer, you will need to level archer to 60 eventually, or respec your retainer.

The more important thing to consider is wether or not you like your class. If you do, you might as well keep going. If you don't, the earlier you roll something you like the better. The content isn't running away, and it'll be the only content to do for the next ~2months anyway, so there isn't much of a hurry.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Whaa? DPS is the easiest role to play, just have your gear and rotations down.

"Just have your rotations down" can be a very difficult thing when applied to actual encounters. Since at the end of the day there's only one victory condition (deplete an enemy's health bar to zero); the game is ultimately about dealing as much damage as possible in as short of a timeframe as possible, and in addition to matching your theoretical rotation to each particular encounter there's also the preservation of uptime. Healers can have so much downtime, tanks might be allowed downtime occasionally, DPS should have no downtime whatsoever at any point unless there's literally nothing to hit. Some jobs like MCH, MNK or SMN really have to work for their damage.

Teknoman

should be ready for alexander by the end of this week at least. enough time to watch streams/guides so i don't completely embarrass myself :'D

T00XpbD.jpg

Hasney

Rocket League has hooked me and the end game talk about classes and everything always ends up putting me off all MMOs, the only reason this one keeps me coming back is the story so I'm glad it manages to cater to a lot of people at once.

See you on Ultros next story/Hildebrand patch/if I have nothing else to play!

BadRNG

Whaa? DPS is the easiest role to play, just have your gear and rotations down.
Depends on the fight more than anything else, All the jobs in this game are fairly straightforward, it's just maintaining play whilst doing whatever mechanic dance is required. Sometimes DPS have it really easy in that department, sometimes they don't. Same with healer/tank.

Teknoman

Where those Side Quests bad because they were standard fodder or because you didn't like the story lore from them? Because I liked the SQs simply because of the story it provides:

-I still remember that little girl who stole woods from us in an early SQ in the Brume only to do another SQ later on and found out that she still froze to death somehow

-I remember that Soldier in the Cloudtops who despite being assigned a shitty post he wasn't going to let that kill his spirits/pride for the job and he was eager to raise the spirits of his fellow soldiers in the same post as him

-I remember that old man in the Falcon's Nest who talked about how he was part of deserted village buried beneath the Snow and how he wished that show the others that knowledge from the past shouldn't be left behind

-I remember that soldier who came to the bitter cold wasteland to find his death because his household no longer has any sort of power but I helped him realise that life is worth living

-I remember playing Hide and Seek with that little Dragon,helping him find food for his mother and brother, and teaching him a valuable life lesson that while their are those who would harm his kind on sight he shouldn't label all non dragons as enemies and they are some good in others.

And I could go on but honestly some of the most memorable moments in the Expansion to me was all the things I got to see in those Side Quests and I know they are not very engaging to do but it was worth going through the sludge just to get more EXP and more SQ story.

Man...

Donthizz#

Ended up doing Cutters Cry with two BLM's today. It was a..... AOE extravaganza. nearly gave me and my lvl 39 PLD a heart attack.

It's all good because in the end I ended up with 3 commendations. ;)

WolvenOne

I will admit that the devs need to learn how to create a more engaging quest structure. The little world building moments in those quests can be great, but the design kinda encourages people to rush through them, so any good writing is potentially lost.

Also, just a side note, touching on something said earlier. I wouldn't mind if they compartmentalized the MSQ a bit. For example, a Major Story Quest dealing with
the resurrected Nidhogg,
a major story quest dealing with
Omega
or whatever it is they do with Uldah, a major story quest that sets up traveling to Ala Mhigo. That way, of all of those, only the last one would strictly speaking be necessary to open up the expansion content. Granted, storywise that's a bit of a loss for the player, but they could always come back and do those quests later. Mind you, this might not be a good way to go, it's just another way you could possibly mitigate the issues discussed earlier.

PS: They devs probably need to get into the habit of putting in disclaimers that read, "said events happened before X.) For people that progressed further. We already have a few events that don't make sense unless they happen in a certain order, (Pre-50 DRG quests,) we'll probably have a lot more as the game goes on.

Hasney

Also, just a side note, touching on something said earlier. I wouldn't mind if they compartmentalized the MSQ a bit. For example, a Major Story Quest dealing with
the resurrected Nidhogg,
a major story quest dealing with
Omega
or whatever it is they do with Uldah, a major story quest that sets up traveling to Ala Mhigo.

I think that's a great idea, a couple of the 2.x story patches felt like anime filler. Good quality anime filler in terms of story, but still meandering on a bit.
Maybe just have Nidhogg be slightly overarching while the other parts are in compartments. like have him try to mess up your progress in the other patch quests.

Qvoth

never knew she
died

Wagram

Kind of sad, but I have to admit I have no desire for Alexander. It really has to do with that normal mode. Now don't get me wrong - that difficulty setting was needed - and I stand by that. However, the fact that it's required to advance to savage puts me off. One of the BEST things in FF MMOs is obtaining that chunk of story in that tough as nails raids.

This doesn't make me feel motivated. I'm truly not interested, and that's....rather sad.

Teknoman

Kind of sad, but I have to admit I have no desire for Alexander. It really has to do with that normal mode. Now don't get me wrong - that difficulty setting was needed - and I stand by that. However, the fact that it's required to advance to savage puts me off. One of the BEST things in FF MMOs is obtaining that chunk of story in that tough as nails raids.

This doesn't make me feel motivated. I'm truly not interested, and that's....rather sad.

What if normal mode ends up being pretty challenging and savage mode is just pushing to the limit?

Yoshi did say that it would be a balance between Coil and World of Darkness though, so maybe it'll be one of those just rights

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Alexander Normal is not going to be an easy mode. It's not going to be like another casual 24-man. That comes later.

chrono01

never knew she
died
You didn't? There was even a SQ that had to deal with delivering
her belongings to a tree situated in Sea of Clouds (a location she was planning on leaving Ishgard for) that ended with a child's "laughter" echo'ing on the breeze. Chilling!

Depends on the fight more than anything else, All the jobs in this game are fairly straightforward, it's just maintaining play whilst doing whatever mechanic dance is required. Sometimes DPS have it really easy in that department, sometimes they don't. Same with healer/tank.

It's very rare that healers "have it easy" in any content that's not 4man, and even in those a bunch of them require some effort. Mostly this just comes from the job though, you have to do triage constantly to figure out who to heal first and what heal to use, it's all reactive gameplay(even precasting/shielding is reacting to set rotation and just taking steps in advance). Healers are kinda their own category in that sense.

Between DPS and tanks, I'd say tanks are probably the easier one by a fair margin, both mechanically(rotations are simple and mistakes have low impact most of the time since tank DPS is relatively low) and in terms of actual fight requirements(tanks often have to move the least, don't get targetted by most mechanics and so on).

Tanks "difficulty" comes from the pressure of certain key aspects that will instantly result in wipes when not performed correctly, while a DPS dying is rarely an issue(can be if the DPS check is ultra close, but even then it can be made up by healers in general). Don't dodge the one thing you're supposed to dodge in a 10mins fight? Good job, you just single handedly wiped the raid. In a no pressure environement though, say like a 4man dungeons, tanks are by far the easiest job though.

WolvenOne

They've been a bit unclear on how difficult Normal Mode Alexander would be. They've gone as far as to say, "It's an easier raid for moderately skilled players," all the way to, "Slightly harder than FCoB." This is further confused by the fact that the developers sometimes play up the difficulty of certain content. (See all the times they called Extreme Primals hardcore content.)

We'll know for certain before too much longer, though personally I'm still leaning towards each Alexander Turn being about on par with an Extreme Primal fight, maybe a little harder or a little easier. Not sure they could go much further then that without defeating the point of having a more casual version of the raid.

Also, I will admit that I'm not as psyched about Alexander as a I was for Coil. The, "End of an Era," cinematic piece was still fresh on my mind, and I was absolutely psyched out to fight Bahamutt. They haven't really done anything to play up Alexander as a similarly imposing figure, yet.

Reknoc

Well this seems way better

Treasure coffers that appear upon completing Alexander: Gordias will no longer yield gear, but instead yield tokens that can be traded for gear of your choosing.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Well this seems way better
I'm guessing this means that we'll have to roll for tokens now?

I thought that they meant "you'll get tokens for clearing the content, period" when they announced the token system.

WolvenOne

Am I blind, or are Alexander weapons not listed among the list of added equipment? *looks again.*

Yeah, no weapons, weeeeeird. Guess I'll have to settle for the Hive Axe, and it's crappy substats.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Bard the

Wanderer's Minuet
・Action category has been changed from spell to ability.
・Damage increase has been increased from 20% to 30%.
・Cast time has been reduced from 3 to 0 seconds.
・Recast time has been increased from 2.5 to 15 seconds.

Empyreal Arrow
・Potency has been reduced from 240 to 220.

Sidewinder
・Potency has been reduced from 150 to 100.
・Potency when target is suffering from either Venomous Bite or Windbite has been reduced from 250 to 175.
・Potency when target is suffering from both Venomous Bite and Windbite has been reduced from 350 to 250.

Machinist

Gauss Barrel
・Damage increase has been increased from 20% to 30%.
・Cast time has been reduced from 3 to 0 seconds.
・Recast time has been increased from 2.5 to 15 seconds.

Gauss Round
・Potency has been reduced from 200 to 180.

Ricochet
・Potency of the area attack has been reduced from 300 to 200.

Top Bottom