• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Reknoc

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following optional items are now available for purchase from the FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station:
Item
Minion: Alisaie
Minion: Tataru

I'm guessing this means that we'll have to roll for tokens now?

I thought that they meant "you'll get tokens for clearing the content, period" when they announced the token system.

Yea seems you need to roll for it.

Kenai

It's very rare that healers "have it easy" in any content that's not 4man, and even in those a bunch of them require some effort. Mostly this just comes from the job though, you have to do triage constantly to figure out who to heal first and what heal to use, it's all reactive gameplay(even precasting/shielding is reacting to set rotation and just taking steps in advance). Healers are kinda their own category in that sense.

I wouldn't say healers are uber hard so much as drastically different priorities. While tanks and dps focus focus primarily on the mob(s), healers will be focusing primarily on health bars. This shift in attention can be quite jarring for some people when it comes time to enter content that requires you to dodge mechanics and move around while still keeping up the HP of others (and yourself).

But if your groups get dat gearscore up and people perform the mechanics right? That's some downright peaceful times.

OMG MCH perf!!

Gauss Barrel
・Damage increase has been increased from 20% to 30%.
・Cast time has been reduced from 3 to 0 seconds.
・Recast time has been increased from 2.5 to 15 seconds.

Gauss Round
・Potency has been reduced from 200 to 180.

Ricochet
・Potency of the area attack has been reduced from 300 to 200.

Basically they realized popping GB on and off during the fight is the way to go.

Hasney

With WM being an ability now, does that mean I can move while it's up? If so, I'll happily accept my sidewinder nerf.

WolvenOne

Weapons will only be available from Savage.
i190 weapons to go with Prototype gear are Ravana's weapons.

I do realize that they tend to make people work harder for weapons. Just marginally disappointed, wanted an axe that didn't have a bajilllion Parry. XD

scy

Basically they realized popping GB on and off during the fight is the way to go.

Not entirely sure that's true? Like, all signs currently point to it outright being better to keep it on. Granted, that's due to the cast time part of it right now but like ... there's very little to gain weaving it.

If anything, the 15s recast timer on it kind of notes it isn't really meant to be weaved. Especially with GR/Ricochet being lowered overall.

WolvenOne

What was wrong with the Fell Cleave SFX? It felt so satisfying, especially coupled with a large crit number.

I think there were some complaints that people didn't like some of the SFX, particularly on the Japanese servers. To be fair, as satisfying as the sound for Fell Cleave is, it's rather high pitched, so I could see it grating on some people.

Allard

Not entirely sure that's true? Like, all signs currently point to it outright being better to keep it on. Granted, that's due to the cast time part of it right now but like ... there's very little to gain weaving it.

If anything, the 15s recast timer on it kind of notes it isn't really meant to be weaved.

Its probably like Cleric stance and that the recast is only after activating the move, you can use it again after 15 seconds to turn it off and then immediately turn it back on. Basically you can now quickly turn it off and not need to suddenly 'stop' an attack just to put it back on, but you can't suddenly turn it off after activating it till 15 seconds are up. The fact we dont need to wait for a cast time means it actually can strategically be turned off in the few instances you know you have to be mobile all the time and then suddenly pop it back on for siege mode when you know you can stand still for a bit.

Bard is still broke as fuck. Grats, you can toggle a poorly-designed clunky skill. Super curious to see how Machinist works now.

Seems just fine with constant uptime to me.

He could do higher with On/Off GB though.

If anything, the 15s recast timer on it kind of notes it isn't really meant to be weaved. Especially with GR/Ricochet being lowered overall.

It's not 15s recast timer that is an indicator. It's 0s initial casting. It is pain in the ass to equip GB mid fight but with 0s casting I can pop it on when ever I want to burst Wildfire.

I wouldn't say healers are uber hard so much as drastically different priorities. While tanks and dps focus focus primarily on the mob(s), healers will be focusing primarily on health bars. This shift in attention can be quite jarring for some people when it comes time to enter content that requires you to dodge mechanics and move around while still keeping up the HP of others (and yourself).

But if your groups get dat gearscore up and people perform the mechanics right? That's some downright peaceful times.

I didn't say they were uber hard, but I'd say they're the hardest class in general due to having both a high focus on specific UI parts(the health bars as you mentionned), as well as having to do most mechanics like everyone else. Having to keep track of your cooldowns/debuffs/dots is easier than to keep track of constantly fluctuating health bars, it requires more focus to see when people randomly take damage and heal them quickly.

Plus you also have the tank thing where your responsability to perform your job flawlessly is higher than a DPS. A DPS who has to drop a combo because he lost focus on his rotation to avoid some aoe has very little impact on the fight. His epeen is a bit smaller but eh. Lose vision of your tank's health for a few seconds and it might be a wipe.

All in all, it's not like really difficult, any of it.

And yes your job gets easier as a healer the better the other players are.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Alexander soundtrack is pretty damn amazing but still fitting the overall style of the Heavensward music in the end.

Hmmm even though this is supposed to be the easier mode of the raid, I'm still not sure I'm crazy enough to try DFing it except for practice.

I'm confused as to how Alex is supposed to work. You can only roll on gear the very first time you complete a section...ever? So assuming there's 4 drops, 4 people'll get a piece of gear and then that entire group is going to fight for weeks over the need of the tokens?

The writing is so confusing.

"Treasure coffers that appear upon completing Alexander: Gordias will no longer yield gear, but instead yield tokens that can be traded for gear of your choosing.

You can only receive one item per floor each week. In the event you are awarded an item from the loot list, you relinquish your right to vie for all remaining items regardless of whether you selected Need or Greed. Also note that there is no weekly restriction on entering Alexander: Gordias."

It seems to imply that if you get an item drop for that week you can't roll on the tokens. But it says that after you complete the raid, gear'll never drop again? Can someone explain this to me?

plake

Its going to take a while to get a full set of Alexander gear lol.

A little over 3 weeks assuming it's 6 floors of Alex (ie 6 tokens/week) and 18 tokens needed in total (17 might actually be the case as one can't have 2 of the same ring).

Hasney

I'm confused as to how Alex is supposed to work. You can only roll on gear the very first time you complete a section...ever? So assuming there's 4 drops, 4 people'll get a piece of gear and then that entire group is going to fight for weeks over the need of the tokens?

"Treasure coffers that appear upon completing Alexander: Gordias will no longer yield gear, but instead yield tokens that can be traded for gear of your choosing.

You can only receive one item per floor each week. In the event you are awarded an item from the loot list, you relinquish your right to vie for all remaining items regardless of whether you selected Need or Greed. Also note that there is no weekly restriction on entering Alexander: Gordias."

It seems to imply that if you get an item drop for that week you can't roll on the tokens. But it says that after you complete the raid, gear'll never drop again? Can someone explain this to me?

There is no gear in Alex, just tokens that can be redeemed for the gear.

Each week, you can get one token per floor. You can't roll on tokens once you've had your gear for that week for that floor.

After the weekly reset, you can roll on it again.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

You can attempt any of the turns any number of times. After clearing you get a selection of tokens and you roll on them like you would on any other item. Upon obtaining an item from a turn you cannot obtain another item from that turn for the week.

So you can run the raid until you obtain one token from T1, one token from T2, one token from T3 and one token from T4.

Works like old CT drops, but per boss instead of being 1 per dungeon. You can run the dungeon as many times as you want. After every boss, a chest drops with some tokens(unsure if general tokens or if they'll be class specific). You roll on them. If you win, you cannot roll on that chest again even if you do the dungeon again. If you don't win, you can run the dungeon again and once you clear that boss, you can roll again. Once you've rolled and won every floor items for the week, you're done until the next week. It never drops gear, that's in reference to older systems.

iammeiam

It sounds like a per-boss version of the WoD system. The raid has 3 floors. Each floor has 1 chest with tokens in it. If you win a token from a chest, you can't roll on anything from that chest/floor for the rest of the week. The tokens themselves are the items in question.

Alex Normal basically reads like 8-man CT to me, down to the instant solo queue ability.

You can attempt any of the turns any number of times. After clearing you get a selection of tokens and you roll on them like you would on any other item. Upon obtaining an item from a turn you cannot obtain another item from that turn for the week.

So you can run the raid until you obtain one token from T1, one token from T2, one token from T3 and one token from T4.

But doesn't that mean you will only ever have a 1/8 chance of ever getting a token because once you have a token from that floor there's no reason for anyone to ever run it that week?

Moaradin

An issue wherein the monk action “The Forbidden Chakra” and the astrologian action “Draw” could not be queued immediately following the use of a weaponskill or spell.

The sound effects for the following actions have been adjusted:
Meditation / Form Shift / Fell Cleave / Broil

yissss

Now all they need to do is make Meditation not so annoying to spam. Make it 3 charges instead of 5, and make it so you don't need to press it more than once out of combat.

Monk sound effect changes are awesome, but the real best news for us is that they fixed the Forbidden Chakra queuing issue (which was absolutely infuriating).

There is no gear in Alex, just tokens that can be redeemed for the gear.

Each week, you can get one token per floor. You can't roll on tokens once you've had your gear for that week for that floor.

After the weekly reset, you can roll on it again.

Mm, so there are different kind of tokens?

It's in Duty Finder so just run it until you get one.

So, you're able to pick what token it is, then? It's not a random drop? So say, a certain boss or chest will always drop the body piece, or they all do, o...something? Honestly I'm still having a hard time. The Ravana and Bismark token systems are easy as pie to understand.

yissss

Now all they need to do is make Meditation not so annoying to spam. Make it 3 charges instead of 5, and make it so you don't need to press it more than once out of combat.

If they made it 3 they'd probably nerf the skill heavily, though that could be nice. 1 cast out of combat would be great though, it sucks having to spam it every wipe or every trash pack. I don't use it on trash personally, can't be bothered.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So, you're able to pick what token it is, then? It's not a random drop? So say, a certain boss or chest will always drop the body piece, or they all do, o...something? Honestly I'm still having a hard time. The Ravana and Bismark token systems are easy as pie to understand.

We don't know what turn drops what tokens exactly, but it's probably a bit random. Like, you get 3 or 4 random tokens from Turn 1. Something like that. Think back to 2.4 dungeons like Snowcloak where you could receive tokens for i90 gear, but which token would drop exactly was random.

Did you not read the whole thing or? It says you can buy the armor with the tokens and even gives you the prices. It's 1token for accessories/belt, 2 for helm/gloves/boots, 4 for chest/legs. You don't pick what token it is, you just get a token. It's like currency.

Edit: Oh nvm I see it now, it's a bunch of different tokens, thought that was the item reward, my bad.

Zomba13

From what I understand:

Alex doesn't drop gear only tokens.
Tokens are slot specific (head token, feet token etc) not class specific
You get one token per floor per week
You need/greed on a token and win, you can't need/greed on another token on that floor until the reset
Different gear takes different amounts of tokens. Accs are 1, body is 4
We don't know if certain slots come from certain floors.

Sandfox

A little over 3 weeks assuming it's 6 floors of Alex (ie 6 tokens/week) and 18 tokens needed in total (17 might actually be the case as one can't have 2 of the same ring).

Judging by the patch notes there are 4 floors with 19 tokens needed to get everything.

Did you not read the whole thing or? It says you can buy the armor with the tokens and even gives you the prices. It's 1token for accessories/belt, 2 for helm/gloves/boots, 4 for chest/legs. You don't pick what token it is, you just get a token. It's like currency.

So there's the possibility that I have shit luck and keep getting body token drops on all my raids when I already have the body? How is that any better than just dropping loot? Unless a chest would drop like...8 items.

Meciu

From what I understand:

Alex doesn't drop gear only tokens.
Tokens are slot specific (head token, feet token etc) not class specific
You get one token per floor per week
You need/greed on a token and win, you can't need/greed on another token on that floor until the reset
Different gear takes different amounts of tokens. Accs are 1, body is 4
We don't know if certain slots come from certain floors.

I REALLY hope they are like that.

iammeiam

Myself. I always parse lower when GB always on. I'm not saying I'm good MCH or anything but you can ask that guy on Twitch to try On/Off GB and see if it improves.

I mean, I've watched his video pretty obsessively (and got really happy when it validated my 'holding your opener in Ravana sucks and isn't worth it' biases), and he's not really losing anything to movement. The guy has the fight, the movement requirements, and proc management down pretty cold, and I don't really see anywhere that he'd benefit by reducing the power of his attacks across the board for a little more freedom of movement and some autos.

I don't doubt that a lot of people will parse better with GB off or only up for specific burst, but I do question the idea that played perfectly or near-perfectly toggling is the ideal.

Hasney

So there's the possibility that I have shit luck and keep getting body token drops on all my raids when I already have the body? How is that any better than just dropping loot? Unless a chest would drop like...8 items.

What if you have shit luck and all the loot is not for your class? There's less loot now by condensing it down to slot tokens, so there's more chance of getting something you do need.

I REALLY hope they are like that.

They are

Item Type Required Token Number of Tokens
Head Tarnished Gordian Lens 2
Body Tarnished Gordian Shaft 4
Hands Tarnished Gordian Crank 2
Waist Tarnished Gordian Chain 1
Legs Tarnished Gordian Spring 4
Feet Tarnished Gordian Pedal 2
Accessories Tarnished Gordian Bolt 1

Zomba13

Yup. From the sounds of it all it helps is that you get the tokens so don't have to worry about only loot for PLD dropping when you are a NIN. Instead now the worry is only Accessory tokens dropping when you need the pants tokens.

Meciu

What if you have shit luck and all the loot is not for your class? There's less loot now by condensing it down to slot tokens, so there's more chance of getting something you do need.

They are

Item Type Required Token Number of Tokens
Head Tarnished Gordian Lens 2
Body Tarnished Gordian Shaft 4
Hands Tarnished Gordian Crank 2
Waist Tarnished Gordian Chain 1
Legs Tarnished Gordian Spring 4
Feet Tarnished Gordian Pedal 2
Accessories Tarnished Gordian Bolt 1

Thank you, missed that.

Sandfox

Well before you had a much higher possibility of gear not related to your job dropping after multiple runs.

Top Bottom