• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Reknoc

I mean, each chest is likely going to have 1 or 2 different tokens drop and I feel rolling for either of them is better than it having like 10 different items.

Yup. From the sounds of it all it helps is that you get the tokens so don't have to worry about only loot for PLD dropping when you are a NIN. Instead now the worry is only Accessory tokens dropping when you need the pants tokens.

I see. There's still RNG involved, but with the item lockout limiting you to 4 a week, and it being condensed from every single class' possible item into merely the types of item (what is that, like 1000% reduction in bad luck?) It should be more reasonable to get lucky.

You get the feeling that this system, combine with the ability to DF for it, is going to mean this is a slightly harder WoD for regular humans, to make up for the fact that 24 people can be an unruly god damn mess? I swear if I could have run WoD in some 8 man variant I'd have had all that gear ages ago.

fedexpeon

Banned
There is no gear in Alex, just tokens that can be redeemed for the gear.

Each week, you can get one token per floor. You can't roll on tokens once you've had your gear for that week for that floor.

After the weekly reset, you can roll on it again.

Holy shit...Are you kidding me?
How many slots are in the game 12?
Wowowowowowow...12 weeks rolling against 8 people, 4 chances of winning?
So if you have bad luck, you will have do hundred of run to get one token unless it is a static.
WOW!

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wowowowowowow...12 weeks rolling against 8 people?
So if you have bad luck, you will have do hundred of run to get one token unless it is a static.
WOW!

Every clear will drop a bunch of tokens, they said during the same PLL when they unveiled the system.

Sandfox

WOW!

You get four tokens a week and that hundreds of runs thing was already happening in the previous raids.

Yeah, corresponding to different parts.

Though since all are basically worth the same, the only reason there's 7 different types is to keep you going back for more cause RNG.

So not only you have to get the right kind of token, in some cases you need to get said token four times, and you need to fight with 7 other people every time? That kinda sounds worse than a straightforward gear drop.

Sciel

Disappointed that there are no Astro changes/balancing.
Have been planning to main the class for 3.0, but it just feels so lackluster at 60 compared to WHM/SCH. They really just feel like a combination of both classes in their 2.0 Lvl 50 states.

Did a Ravana Ex with one yesterday on my WHM and it felt like I was doing a 75% of all the healing in that whole fight.

Hasney

I mean, each chest is likely going to have 1 or 2 different tokens drop and I feel rolling for either of them is better than it having like 10 different items.

I'm assuming each floor will drop the one due to the lockout, otherwise you could roll on 2 at once and potentially get them both.
WOW!

If you had bad luck, you'd have to do 100's of runs in any raid. RNG gonna RNG.

Machinist buffs are super exciting for me, since I'm trying to make it my secondary. I got it to nearly level 48 before logging off last, and the damage increase for GB sounds nice (especially when I look at that Ravana video with basically full GB uptime).

Zomba13

Main thing that worries me is that if there are 4 sections meaning 4 drops do things like body tokens only drop from certain floors? Can I, if I'm lucky/patient enough, get my body in one week or am I out of luck because the body token only drops on floor 4 and it'll take a month to get it? If it's any token can drop on any floor then that is much better.

I personally would still prefer a generic token system that wasn't based on class and slot. Like how tomes are just on a smaller scale. You lot on a token, add it to your stack and cash in for whatever.

Ken

An issue in “Thok ast Thok (Extreme)” wherein “Benediction” would not remove the “Walking Dead” effect.

An issue wherein the buff icon for “Protect” was not correct if cast by a white mage.

Tirod

I think there were some complaints that people didn't like some of the SFX, particularly on the Japanese servers. To be fair, as satisfying as the sound for Fell Cleave is, it's rather high pitched, so I could see it grating on some people.

:(

Oh well, they didn't nerf Warrior damage. I shall remain content with that.

Gonna stay up a bit longer since I haven't fallen asleep at this point, and poke my head into Alex with random peeps.

Reknoc

I'm assuming each floor will drop the one due to the lockout, otherwise you could roll on 2 at once and potentially get them both.

Well, only 1 will drop, but like it'll have potentially multiple tokens within, like how chests can have either head or boots or whatever.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

If you had bad luck, you'd have to do 100's of runs in any raid. RNG gonna RNG.

If you obtain one the second roll will just fail. Not really a problem except you'll have to make a choice.

Kenai

I didn't say they were uber hard, but I'd say they're the hardest class in general due to having both a high focus on specific UI parts(the health bars as you mentionned), as well as having to do most mechanics like everyone else. Having to keep track of your cooldowns/debuffs/dots is easier than to keep track of constantly fluctuating health bars, it requires more focus to see when people randomly take damage and heal them quickly.

Plus you also have the tank thing where your responsability to perform your job flawlessly is higher than a DPS. A DPS who has to drop a combo because he lost focus on his rotation to avoid some aoe has very little impact on the fight. His epeen is a bit smaller but eh. Lose vision of your tank's health for a few seconds and it might be a wipe.

All in all, it's not like really difficult, any of it.

And yes your job gets easier as a healer the better the other players are.

Yea sounds about right. The one thing though is that DPS can always push for more DPS so there's a higher ceiling in that regard for improvement, while as tank/healer there is only so much to mitigate/heal through. On the other hand in this game they let you channel that downtime into DPS of their own so there's that too.

Nothing like landing a clutch heal to get the win though, or healing through something that really should have caused a wipe, or getting told that you carried the group. Best MMO adrenaline is from the healer role, no doubt about it.

From what I understand:

Alex doesn't drop gear only tokens.
Tokens are slot specific (head token, feet token etc) not class specific
You get one token per floor per week
You need/greed on a token and win, you can't need/greed on another token on that floor until the reset
Different gear takes different amounts of tokens. Accs are 1, body is 4
We don't know if certain slots come from certain floors.

This seems correct. Patch notes:

Head Tarnished Gordian Lens 2
Body Tarnished Gordian Shaft 4
Hands Tarnished Gordian Crank 2
Waist Tarnished Gordian Chain 1
Legs Tarnished Gordian Spring 4
Feet Tarnished Gordian Pedal 2
Accessories Tarnished Gordian Bolt 1

So body and pants will take 4 weeks of going in, assuming one can clear it all the first week. The real question is what tokens drop where.

Ken

Main thing that worries me is that if there are 4 sections meaning 4 drops do things like body tokens only drop from certain floors? Can I, if I'm lucky/patient enough, get my body in one week or am I out of luck because the body token only drops on floor 4 and it'll take a month to get it? If it's any token can drop on any floor then that is much better.

I personally would still prefer a generic token system that wasn't based on class and slot. Like how tomes are just on a smaller scale. You lot on a token, add it to your stack and cash in for whatever.

They could be trying to preserve the whole "wow you have the helmet that means you cleared the last floor!" effect if they are holding certain tokens hostage in higher floors...which I wouldn't be opposed to I suppose.

Having every token drop in every floor would be worse in the long run when you only need a specific equipment piece.

Ken

Also did they show us Alex weapons we can't get till Savage?

I'm also thinking since the current Alex gear are Prototypes we'll be using Savage drops to upgrade them, giving us reason to continue running Normal after Savage is out.

_BtB_

I have a question about race change and name change.

I am in the GAF free company on ultros, if I change race/name will I be kicked out of the free company automatically by the game? Just wondering because I have a bottle of fantasia and I was going to change name to match the race. My ff14 name is "Virrea Oshari"

Qvoth

so the rumours are real? alexander normal is going to be as easy as crystal tower?
no other reason why they'd put it on DF

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I am in the GAF free company on ultros, if I change race/name will I be kicked out of the free company automatically by the game? Just wondering because I have a bottle of fantasia and I was going to change name to match the race. My ff14 name is "Virrea Oshari"
No, you won't automatically be kicked. You'll be fine. The systems just update to reflect the name change.

so the rumours are real? alexander normal is going to be as easy as crystal tower?

Well T13 was in DF eventually, so can't really say either way. In the recent interviews yoshida said it'd actually be EX primal difficulty(which sounds pretty bad to clear in a random DF to be honest) but yeah straight to DF sounds more like CT. Guess we'll see.

Sciel

Isn't it part of story? Making it harder would lock a lot of people out.

Says a lot though when Alexander is in DF and the primal ex aren't.

Sorian

Banned
It sounds like a per-boss version of the WoD system. The raid has 3 floors. Each floor has 1 chest with tokens in it. If you win a token from a chest, you can't roll on anything from that chest/floor for the rest of the week. The tokens themselves are the items in question.

Alex Normal basically reads like 8-man CT to me, down to the instant solo queue ability.

I had to quote this and say no, incorrect.

Qvoth

not sure why but people are saying there's going to be 4 floors
there's at least 1 floor where it's just a boss fight ala t9/13 anyway, so no map achievements for that

Frumix

Suffering From Success
there's at least 1 floor where it's just a boss fight ala t9/13 anyway, so no map achievements for that

There's four floors: Fist, Cuff, Arm and Burden. Last one has no map achievement.

Sandfox

There are three achievements for clearing floors(with an addition achievement for clearing the entire thing) with one addition floor mentioned in the known issues section.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You'll still need 19 tokens though so if you want to gear up say, five completely different jobs, that's 6 months of runs!

Unless they lift the lockout very early which they most certainly will.

plake

You'll be kicked if you go Au Ra. Not if you go cat.

Ken

All this skill speed on fending pieces lol.

Pants, boots, and belt are pretty nice for tank. But I'll probably get the others first for vanity.

Qvoth

4/6 caster gear had accuracy in them?
only 2 have spell speed?
guess we'll see even more blms ditching for smn again

Top Bottom