• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

_woLf

I think the bard changes are great as of today's patch. It's a stance dancer now. I'm fine with that to be completely honest.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Teknoman

I'm still gonna try to give both normal and savage a shot (you still shouldn't need statics for anything imo. A nice thing to inspire peak performance teamwork sure, but they shouldn't be something aimed as a necessity for content) but I really hope whatever the next content after Alex is balanced to more challenging but not brain bustingly so.

iammeiam

The game needs, like, brutally difficult four-man content or something. At some point in 2.x "Hard Mode" just turned into faceroll content; it'd be nice to have something challenging that doesn't revolve around needing 8 people.

Unfortunately this is a Final Fantasy game, accessibility will always be king. Though this appears to be a trend among all MMOs now.

MCHM in TERA was nice but aside from that...

so the open world mobs are still piss easy and we still don't have smaller scale mid tier content? nothing casual but skilled players can look forward to?

SE, you goddamn losers.

I guess the single Bard upside is that AoE should be higher?

The game needs, like, brutally difficult four-man content or something. At some point in 2.x "Hard Mode" just turned into faceroll content; it'd be nice to have something challenging that doesn't revolve around needing 8 people.

They really do need to branch out a bit and move away from this four man standard dungeon being easy and eight man raid content being the hardest. Different variety would be nice.

docbon

Floor 4 was definitely the toughest one so far, and even then it's only a mild headache.

Everything else is a facerolling snoozefest, god damn.

iammeiam

I'm not really asking them to eliminate or reduce the accessible content--Alex story apparently being kind of faceroll is a good thing for the game overall, if personally disappointing--just something I'd like to see added. Call it Savage Mode for some of the future HM dungeons? It's just disappointing that content choices until 3.1 are going to be nonchallenging stuff, the two EX Primals we're going to outgear more and more, and then Alex Savage on lockout.

It's mostly that I liked the idea of Savage SCoB--an efficient-ish way to add in legitimately challenging content without developing something from the ground up--but the implementation was shaky and failed to find much of an audience. They appear to have given up on it entirely (no Savage Bennu :( ), where I'd like to see them try something similar but maybe targeting smaller groups of people.

Vanethyr

I agree. Also, this one...

<snip>

When it kicks up at 3:51 I just want to hop on a flying mount and soar. Often times, I do!

Likewise! One of my other go-to ones :D I love just wandering about the Dravanian Forelands by air while listening to it.

I have also spent far too much time just sitting around on benches in Ishgard soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying the music.

I Can't help it, it's just so good and the soundtrack is by far one of the best things about the expansion pack for me!

Nohar

When I saw that, the small, evil part of me hoped they added another quest similar to how original CT had to be unlocked.

You are a monster.

But yeah, they kinda need to fix FATEs instead of adding more... Really, there is no point in doing them, nearly everything else gives more exp. And, well, we have the Ceruleum Factory area who is full of easy farmable FATEs: no point in doing Heavensward ones (and this particular option probably remains the most interesting one for people needing to level up from 50 to 51 after they've done their daily roulette).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
"The development team definitely understands all of the feedback everyone has been posting in regards to the methods for obtaining items to upgrade equipment that can be purchased with Allagan tomestones of law. They're currently in the midst of planning new ways to obtain these items, and while it didn't make it in time for Patch 3.01, they will be working towards implementing it in patch 3.05."

Good news for hunt haters.

iammeiam

They are planning to fix FATES:

Hello, everyone.

We understand that there are currently the following issues with FATEs in 3.0 areas:
Monster HP is too high and it takes too long to complete.
The amount of experience points rewarded isn't commensurate with the amount of effort put in.
Especially in regards to the first point above, due to the fact that FATE monsters' HP will increase based on the amount of participants of the previous occurrence of the FATE, it makes it so more work is required to complete it. This in turn increases the feeling that the experience points reward is not enough.

As there are many FATEs, we will need some time to make adjustments; however, we are planning to make the following adjustments to FATEs in 3.0 areas:
Increase the amount of experience points earned.
Change the feature where the monsters' strength is adjusted depending on the amount of players that participated in the previous FATE. If players failed to complete a FATE, the previous number of participants will not count and a modifier will not be placed on the new FATE.
Increase the range of the level sync.
With the above adjustments, it will become easier to complete FATEs even with a small group, and you'll be able to earn more experience points.

We're currently working on this, and we're aiming to implement this as quickly as possible.

Zetta

So if I'm getting this right, SE understood from all our feedback that new bard abilities needed to be nerfed while still being a spellcaster? What in the actual F***. This has made me level my BLM before my PLd and all but guarantee DRG follows. This is just.... I don't even know what this is but if sucks. Just release a goddamn Ranger already so Bard can go away since they don't know what the hell they want with it. Right now we're a Range/Spellcaster/Support, we're a confused job.

LowParry

"The development team definitely understands all of the feedback everyone has been posting in regards to the methods for obtaining items to upgrade equipment that can be purchased with Allagan tomestones of law. They're currently in the midst of planning new ways to obtain these items, and while it didn't make it in time for Patch 3.01, they will be working towards implementing it in patch 3.05."

Woot!

Firebrand

I..genuinely don't know. Like I'm not sure if you'll get feathers for every stage of the subs or just the highest stage you have. So will one person who subbed for a year give you like 20 feathers? Or just 5 for the registration and 5 for having 270 days?

I don't even trust that their retroactive thing will work. I very randomly had some people sign up before all of this was announced and am afraid they won't be counted. I think the best way to do it is raw registrants, not months subscribed. Each registrant should get you 5 tickets (up to max of 5 people I think?) and so 3 people should equal 15 tickets.
From what I understand you get 5 feathers for each recruit, but you'll only get feathers from time subscribed from the recruit that has been subbed the longest.

Tabris

Man it really sucks we gotta wait 2 weeks longer for actual progression content. Progression content is why I play this game outside the story.

When was 1st CoB released after 2.0?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm having a hard time believing a bunch of no-name mooks could take me on in ilvl 120 gear. I wish could kill that little runt and all his stupid "Brass Blades".

Oh wait, Raubahn got him. Good job.

Tabris

FFXI did it right by always having "impossible content" available (i.e. AV) for people to constantly work towards. I mean all they would need is a couple bosses where it's nearly impossible to clear with current HP & DPS levels until maybe i230, so everyone has something to work on.

Same day.

And Turn 5 was insanely hard until the first nerf right due to twisters? See, that's what they need to have. Near impossible content that takes a couple patches until the average raider can clear. Gives something for the world firsts to do and the rest of us to learn with.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
FFXI did it right by always having "impossible content" available (i.e. AV) for people to constantly work towards. I mean all they would need is a couple bosses where it's nearly impossible to clear with current HP & DPS levels until maybe i230, so everyone has something to work on.

And Turn 5 was insanely hard until the first nerf right due to twisters? See, that's what they need to have. Near impossible content that takes a couple patches until the average raider can clear. Gives something for the world firsts to do and the rest of us to learn with.

Yeah T5 scared many, many people. I remember a lot of groups content with doing 1-4 for the week and going on their way.

Wagram

In before 4.0 hunts.

Uthred

Looking forward to 4.0 which should be super accessible, story optional and packed with niche content, it cant fail! ;)

Jayhawk

Remember that 2.0 raid schedule was a special case because legacy servers already had people at level cap on multiple classes from the start.

Tabris

Yeah T5 scared many, many people. I remember a lot of groups content with doing 1-4 for the week and going on their way.

And what's wrong with that? Why does the average player need to be able to clear everything? Most people didn't beat Ozma in FF9 for example.

Jayhawk

Are you forgetting how long it took for you to clear turns 9 and 13 after they were released?

I like how FATEs and hunts have the exact opposite problems. HW FATEs have too much HP for little reward. Hunts don't have enough HP and everyone needs the shit.

I think their HP scaling system for FATEs is fine, just HW somehow scales too well. I don't get why hunts don't scale, or why hunts can't be FATEs.

There are so many boss FATEs around HW that no one touches. I wonder if that'd still be the case if they all dropped Centurio.

Uthred

And what's wrong with that? Why does the average player need to be able to clear everything? Most people didn't beat Ozma in FF9 for example.

Because its a poor use of resources to design content that only a small fraction of your player base will see as opposed to designing content that the majority will see. Difficulty modes, Normal & Savage seem a good way to get a solid return on the man hours invested while still having something for the niche hardcore audience. Going even further I'd suggest that those interested in hardcore raiding are a shrinking audience as games catering towards them have done poorly recently (though there are of course other factors involved).

Because people actually care about the story in this game? People get really salty in mmos when they can't see the full story, especially when said story is a continuation of 1.0. Coil/Alexander actually have some amount of story to them also, Ozma had nothing.

I like how FATEs and hunts have the exact opposite problems. HW FATEs have too much HP for little reward. Hunts don't have enough HP and everyone needs the shit.

I think their HP scaling system for FATEs is fine, just HW somehow scales too well. I don't get why hunts don't scale, or why hunts can't be FATEs.

There are so many boss FATEs around HW that no one touches. I wonder if that'd still be the case if they all dropped Centurio.

Would definitely be nice to have another source of Centurio.

Wagram

The biggest problem the title suffers from is there isn't enough to do for that dedicated hardcore audience. There's one raid every six months. Now if there was an added difficulty for content such as CT (or whatever the next one is) I believe complaining would diminish.

However, there really is very little for this type of individual to do. You need to be able to satisfy both and I honestly don't understand why that's so hard since they tune every fight down anyways. Just tune twice.

Tabris

Are you forgetting how long it took for you to clear turns 9 and 13 after they were released?

I meant expansions, not patches. It was like over a year before the first people legitimately cleared Absolute Virtue in FFXI, but it always gave people something to try and see if they can figure out a strat to beat him.

Because people actually care about the story in this game? People get really salty in mmos when they can't see the full story, especially when said story is a continuation of 1.0. Coil/Alexander actually have some amount of story to them also, Ozma had nothing.

Further to my point, a lot of the player base didn't beat CoP in FFXI for a while. Why does the story need to be easy? Or at least why can't you do side stories (like Coil and Alex are) with difficulty?

People will be salty whenever they can't beat stuff. A lot of people don't like Demon Souls because they can't beat it, but it doesn't stop the developer. And I understand the economics of MMOs, but FFXI was very profitable.

Top Bottom