• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Colourme unimpressed, cleared turn 1, 2 and 3 with almost no effort, had to leave before doing turn 4, but the pt i was with cleared it as well after i left, lol :/

I really hate his, easier content becomes even more easy and i bet that harder content (Savage) will be even harder, i liked the middle way but this has dissipated.

It happens that i don't think savage is worth my time for the extra things you get there :/
We don't truly know how difficult it will be just yet. I'm hoping for some middle ground as well (difficulty similar to past coil instead of savage).

I think the "best" thing for them to do would be to have 3 tiers of difficulty: story, normal (like FCoB), Savage. That way everyone gets what they want.

Problem with that is figuring out what gear goes where and what, if any, rewards savage would have. I imagine balancing all three would not be terribly easy either. Probably not worth the effort on SE's part.

docbon

Did A1-A3. Taking a break before doing A4.

The fights so far were pretty easy, but not really fun. I'm glad players can run this once for the story, but I'm really not looking forward to farming this shit for tokens. All the turns looks super samey, and share the same song too. Blah.

Lagamorph

What have they done with yesterdays patch? The game has never crashed once for me, even in DX11 mode, then since yesterdays patch it's crashed 5 times.

Umi88

Im not seeing that "harder than EX, easier than coil2 savage" yoship was speaking off about alexander normal mode :/

fedexpeon

Banned
Colourme unimpressed, cleared turn 1, 2 and 3 with almost no effort, had to leave before doing turn 4, but the pt i was with cleared it as well after i left, lol :/

I really hate his, easier content becomes even more easy and i bet that harder content (Savage) will be even harder, i liked the middle way but this has dissipated.

It happens that i don't think savage is worth my time for the extra things you get there :/

You didn't notice this from 50-60? All the dungeons were designed with less trashes and easier boss mechanic.
All the primal fights are now gimmick and positional layout.

Being more casual=more money. FF14 is just copying the mantra of any subs-based MMO. Retention rate is more important than catering to the niche hardcore crowd.

Rising_Hei

We don't truly know how difficult it will be just yet. I'm hoping for some middle ground as well (difficulty similar to past coil instead of savage).

I think the "best" thing for them to do would be to have 3 tiers of difficulty: story, normal (like FCoB), Savage. That way everyone gets what they want.

Problem with that is figuring out what gear goes where and what, if any, rewards savage would have. I imagine balancing all three would not be terribly easy either. Probably not worth the effort on SE's part.
That'd be ideal, for now they're only thinking on the extremes, sadly, either too easy or too hard (needing a set to clear it), they are forgeting about the middle ground players like me, with no set but that likes to have some challenge (this was the case in 2.0, but it's been getting dumbed down with every patch) <-- Amdapor Keep when FFXIV 2.0 was just released was harder than any dungeon, and almost harder than the whole alexander thing.

Clared turn 4 in duty finder @ first try, it was fun and the battle was innovative, but again too damn easy. I then said "cleared t4 1st try @ duty finder, and then some said "no you didn't, didn't clear savage", i'm sorry but the standard thing is this i just did, the other is just an added extra

Saw this on the official forums. There were some XIV cosplayers at AX this past weekend, gallery is here: http://imgur.com/a/HlcE8 Vanya Robe cosplayer is cute.

Seems to be a smaller group than what I got to see last year...going to assume everyone was at home playing HW rather than going out. Though in one of the pics, you can see a HW backdrop - so was SE actually at AX this year? Are they doing anything for HW at SDCC?

WolvenOne

Hmm, have mixed feelings about the Alex Fending Gear. Wish I knew what the stats on the Esoteric armor was going to be.

PS: Devs, don't you dare load up the Warrior gear with Parry! Just isn't a terribly good Stat for Warriors, even with the 10% Wrath boost.

Or he was talking about Savage.

Maybe, or he was talking up the difficulty again. They've done that once or twice before.

Rising_Hei

Hmm, have mixed feelings about the Alex Fending Gear. Wish I knew what the stats on the Esoteric armor was going to be.

PS: Devs, don't you dare load up the Warrior gear with Parry! Just isn't a terribly good Stat for Warriors, even with the 10% Wrath boost.

I hate the fact and both the body and leg pieces sucks, will have to wait for the tomes' gear

Sciel

Cleared all 4 floors today.

Would say only the last phase of Floor 4 could be considered somewhat challenging to heal through.
That is probably somewhere between Primal Ex and Coil 1 level. Whether its due to people being new / not understanding mechanics 100% idk.

Pancho

Qurupancho
A4 left for me. Im happy with Alex, then again, compared to some here, I'm a dirty casual xD (first mmo). Never was able to clear Coils since I arrived late in the game and good groups had already cleared it by then. Here's hoping Im able to form a good static to tackle savage Alex.

Kenai

A4 left for me. Im happy with Alex, then again, compared to some here, I'm a dirty casual xD (first mmo). Never was able to clear Coils since I arrived late in the game and good groups had already cleared it by then. Here's hoping Im able to form a good static to tackle savage Alex.

I haven't been in Alex yet, but I am totally cool with people interested in the story having something to clear (or even get carried through if needed, idc).

I just hope this means the "savage' version is reasonably challenging. As much as people complain about how easy something is or is not, i feel like SE is doing this due to the % of people that did not clear Coil but tried to. But the niche hardcore should have *something* to brag about doing. Nerds.

fedexpeon

Banned
No, it does not count with the lockout.

Ah, so he meant that savage alex would have a difficulty level somewhere between falling asleep at my keyboard and breaking my own finger.

That is why FF14 has macro brah.
I do some of my DF stuff with /ac /wait /ac maxed line.
I hit my G-Macrokey on my logitech keyboard and boom, I just watch ESPN highlight on the second screen instead.
Being a tank is a good job. No clue why people hate it.
Free Law gear by doing 1-3 rotation, and un-killable due to weak mechanics.

WolvenOne

I hate the fact and both the body and leg pieces sucks, will have to wait for the tomes' gear

Skills speed is actually a really good Stat for Warriors right now. It increases the number of attacks we can get in during Berserk, and increases the dot potency of Fracture.

Crit Determ is still good, but depending on your class Crit Skill speed may be your best combo right now.

Sorian

Banned
I hit my G-Macrokey on my logitech keyboard and boom, I just watch ESPN highlight on the second screen instead.

I used breaking my own finger as an exaggeration of hurting myself, I had thought of saying gouging out my own eyes instead but decided against it. I was not referring to how quickly I have to mash a key, button, or mouse.

Edit: Also, protip, macros suck in this game, they round up so you are losing lots of time over long fights.

Omni

I'm trying to start the game and I'm getting (NP-36147) error on PS4 after it tries to check launcher version.

Anyone know what might be up?

MogCakes

Some really nice cosplays up there. Twelve bless them for spreading the XIV goodness.

Need more DRG cosplays to make people want it

Tabris

I used breaking my own finger as an exaggeration of hurting myself, I had thought of saying gouging out my own eyes instead but decided against it. I was not referring to how quickly I have to mash a key, button, or mouse.

Edit: Also, protip, macros suck in this game, they round up so you are losing lots of time over long fights.

If only you could still queue with macros and you could also do 0.5's. That would solve that issue. I only use macros for shield lob macro for dumb DPS in dungeons and like 2 cooldown combinations.

iammeiam

Grinding for RNG drops that aren't even complete gear in and of themselves is an interesting approach to fixing the WoD loot issue. I can understand them keeping it easy in that case.

I'm trying to start the game and I'm getting (NP-36147) error on PS4 after it tries to check launcher version.

Anyone know what might be up?
PSN gonna PSN.

Wilsongt

So Alexander is easy?

Good, I don't have time to form a static or spend hours learning. So, this is good for a filthy casual like myself.

fedexpeon

Banned

I am a tank =P.
I got financial euro crisis news to read on.
I got NBA FA crying/trolling to read as well.
It just means more time for me to read them all.

Ken

Bear in mind this version exists only to allow people to experience the story for the most part. The "fun" version comes in another couple weeks.

I know? But you can make fun fights while letting people explore the story.

A1 mid-boss is less complex than most dungeon bosses. Real boss has the annoying jump into boring mechanic and there's only one distinct phase change at 60%.

A2 "boss" overstays its welcome. I was going to describe it like T4 BCOB but that'd be a disservice to it and their ability to create a puzzle encounter just by mob type and placement.

A3 is ok though a little too rinse and repeat-ish.

Tendo

After two failed attempts and over an hour in dungeon finder I still don't understand The Minstrel's Ballad: Ultima's Bane and neither did anyone I was with. We'd get to the third set of orbs and wipe everytime. What is the proper way to get through the last orb set?

dramatis

If that's the way you've been playing, then you haven't been completing the new dungeons in under 20 minutes for sure.

After two failed attempts and over an hour in dungeon finder I still don't understand The Minstrel's Ballad: Ultima's Bane and neither did anyone I was with. We'd get to the third set of orbs and wipe everytime. What is the proper way to get through the last orb set?
Believe it or not, it's tank limit break.

iammeiam

Tank LB during the cast and everyone sprints into all the balls.

The problem we ran into last time I remember trying Ultima is he was pushing too fast to have LB ready.

Tendo

Tank LB during the cast and everyone sprints into all the balls.

The problem we ran into last time I remember trying Ultima is he was pushing too fast to have LB ready.

We only had tier 2 LB by the time the cast happened and our tanks didn't do anything but yell at DPS.

iammeiam

I don't remember if echo wasn't helping or if we were burning too fast to earn echo, I just remember running around in full fending right side blowing myself up to no productive end.

We only had tier 2 LB by the time the cast happened and our tanks didn't do anything but yell at DPS.

Tier 2 should be enough I think for everyone to survive solo eating an orb or two, and tanks should be popping it. I think you can also have a PLD pop Hallowed Ground and sprint through all of them. Maybe a DRK could Living Dead through it? But LB and everyone blows themselves up is the accepted start.

SRTtoZ

Did the first Floor and it went pretty well, got a new ring out of it to replace my i170 so I'm happy. Onto the next one!

Tendo

I don't remember if echo wasn't helping or if we were burning too fast to earn echo, I just remember running around in full fending right side blowing myself up to no productive end.

Tier 2 should be enough I think for everyone to survive solo eating an orb or two, and tanks should be popping it. I think you can also have a PLD pop Hallowed Grlund and sprint through all of them. Maybe a DRK could Living Dead through it? But LB and everyone blows themselves up is the accepted start.

i'll try again tonight and pass on these ideas if needed. thanks!

Top Bottom