• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Apoptomon

Navigating the HW zones on foot can be annoying (looking at you Hinterlands and Sea of Clouds) with the large distances and major elevation changes that create sub-zones, but it does make flying, once unlocked, feel quite rewarding. I can see why they've done it the way they have (explore first, fly later), but still...

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Navigating the HW zones on foot can be annoying (looking at you Hinterlands and Sea of Clouds) with the large distances and major elevation changes that create sub-zones, but it does make flying, once unlocked, feel quite rewarding. I can see why they've done it the way they have (explore first, fly later), but still...

People wanted larger, expansive zones, they gave us larger zones, and now people complain that it takes too long to get places.

Squishy3

screw pf screw bis ex groups screw everything

screw people who can't do the easy part of bis ex after we get past the damn dps check

YOU CLEARED THE HARDEST PART WHY CAN'T YOU DO THE EASY PARTS AGHHHHHHHHHHH

Apoptomon

People wanted larger, expansive zones, they gave us larger zones, and now people complain that it takes too long to get places.
To be clear, I have no issue with Western Highlands, the Forelands, Churning Mist, or with travel time. The only issue I have with the Sea of Clouds is that I feel the map doesn't well represent the vertical axis which is a major part of that regions topography. The thing with Hinterlands is you have quests going on simultaneously in the eastern and western halves, which you need to go to Idyllshire to switch between. That's all. By distances I just meant that it feels nice to go from the open-world classic "how do I go around this mountain" to "fly over it".

Also, flying up high and diving into quest hubs for turn-ins is fun.

I spent 2 hours of my life today doing titan ex in the duty finder. I want to blow my brains out.

It's a tough fight that oh so much worse before gear carry became a thing. I think it's optional now though.

Gaf help night will probably be starting again in a few weeks if you just want to wait until then

How useful is this ACT plugin that I keep hearing about? Do a lot of people here use it?

It measures party dps. People use it to help determine how they perform and to maximize their rotations. Unless you are raiding, you really don't need it. It's technically against the terms of service, so don't talk about running it if you are.

Outside of raids, I guess it might be useful to determine who is bringing the party down in a DF or PF scenario. This can lead to having a serious chip on your shoulder though.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Playing catch up trying to recap my WAR but may fiddle around with DRK to see how it feels. Never really got into PLD as it didn't have a "flying by the seat of your pants" feel to it. If DRK is kinda like that I may spend more time with it. Any tips for making the most of Deliverance as a WAR?

Teknoman

It's a tough fight that oh so much worse before gear carry became a thing. I think it's optional now though.

Gaf help night will probably be starting again in a few weeks if you just want to wait until then

Cant wait till they start up again. I miss Titan EX. And Leviathan EX by extension.

shmoglish

Level 44 now, does it make sense to buy/activate Heavensward directly after hitting lvl 50? Don`t want to miss any EXP (Question is: Do I have to finish the story before I get EXP for the higher levels?).

Level 44 now, does it make sense to buy/activate Heavensward directly after hitting lvl 50? Don`t want to miss any EXP (Question is: Do I have to finish the story before I get EXP for the higher levels?).
You can't touch Heavensward content without finishing the main story first.

hamchan

You'll still get exp for the main lvl 50 story quests but not much tbh.

chrono01

You can't touch Heavensward content without finishing the main story first.
No the content, but if you have the Heavensward product key registered to your account you should be able to earn XP past the level cap of 50, even with simply doing pre-Heavensward quests.

I can't say for certain though, having never tried.

hamchan

I'm currently doing Through the Maelstrom quests on my way to Heavesward content, getting like 4k exp per quest. It's minuscule but it's better than nothing I guess. If you're gonna play Heavensward anyways then you might as well activate it.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Parsing 24-man raids is dangerous. It can lead to disappointment, frustration, depression, drinking problem, and suicide.

No the content, but if you have the Heavensward product key registered to your account you should be able to earn XP past the level cap of 50, even with simply doing pre-Heavensward quests.

Oh, true. Now that you mention it I recall hearing someone getting to 51 before starting HS MSQ.

WolvenOne

Parsing 24-man raids is dangerous. It can lead to disappointment, frustration, depression, drinking problem, and suicide.

I've done it, and I've convinced myself that half the people there had to have been AFK. It's the only explanation, right? Riiiiiight?! T_T

dcye

Yes.
Why play the game when 10+ players can carry you?
You think Candy Crush will play itself?

unsubscribe1.jpg

Had the most amazing BismarkEX clear party and I finally got my clear today. Probably the easiest primal I've tanked so far.

And that final phase music is probably the best track in the game in my opinion. I need a Bismark mount in my life now.

Firebrand

I got Dragon Fang Earrings for my scrip exchange today. I'm going to craft until my fingers fall off this is great!
Even though probably I spent more time crafting than combat stuff, I haven't really touched on the script stuff until yesterday. I had missed I had it unlocked for crafting already, but payoff is a bit weak for the effort at my current levels (56-58). I didn't bother much with Rowena's Splendors for gathering since it wasn't really needed at all to level up quickly, and I haven't quite figured out the rotation for the 400-450+ stuff yet. Crafted some new gear last night, gonna try again and maybe put some melds in the belt at least.

So much to do in this expansion X_X

Rising_Hei

Had the most amazing BismarkEX clear party and I finally got my clear today. Probably the easiest primal I've tanked so far.

And that final phase music is probably the best track in the game in my opinion. I need a Bismark mount in my life now.
Some people say it's harder overall than Ravana EX and i deeply disagree
It might be harder to farm once everyone knows the battle but it's much harder to get 1st kill imo :/

Rektash

Raids will be glorious on Ps4. Healing in Dungeons is easy so far, but I am sure this will change soon.

Healing is easy in dungeons. The challange is getting as much damage as possible in, while keeping your party alive.

For example, you can easily get 1000+ dps as a WHM on several pulls in The Aery (with an average iLevel of about 140).

Tirod

Square Enix said:
FINAL FANTASY XIV Hotfixes (Jul. 14, 2015)
The following adjustments have been made:

In the Mac version, GoogleIME can be used when in Windowed mode.
*With regard to using GoogleIME when in Full Screen mode, we are in the process of implementing this feature, but there are issues that need to be addressed. Currently, we are requesting that Google Japan assist us in addressing the issue.
If a pet has been summoned, it will now automatically leave the battlefield when getting on a mount in “Alexander - The Cuff of the Father”.

The following issues have been addressed:

An issue wherein it would become impossible to proceed under certain conditions in “Alexander - The Fist of the Father”.
An issue wherein the invincibility status icon would not be displayed on “liquid limb” when transitioning to another phase in “Alexander - The Arm of the Father”.
An issue wherein players would always move to a certain place after completing and leaving “Alexander - The Burden of the Father”.
An issue wherein a new line would be started when certain keys were pressed at the same time while typing in the chatbox. (Mac version only)
An issue wherein certain text contained errors.

Hotfixes detailed.

On PS4 I had a 149MB update file.

Some people say it's harder overall than Ravana EX and i deeply disagree
It might be harder to farm once everyone knows the battle but it's much harder to get 1st kill imo :/

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Maybe it was the swapping mechanic during the snake adds? I'm on DRK so I can cheat by just voking and then hitting Plunge. No muss no fuss and no accidentally turning the mob so people can eat cleaves. That is of course unless my co-tank had shit for kicks hate on the mob they were on making my life harder then it needed to be :/

I honestly can't see any other challenges honestly. The entirety of the tank position of the fight is nothing more than picking up adds for the most part

I haven't even tried Ravana Ex yet so I got nothing there. I'm just hoping a Hive Claymore is worth it.

fedexpeon

Banned
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Maybe it was the swapping mechanic during the snake adds? I'm on DRK so I can cheat by just voking and then hitting Plunge. No muss no fuss and no accidentally turning the mob so people can eat cleaves. That is of course unless my co-tank had shit for kicks hate on the mob they were on making my life harder then it needed to be :/

I honestly can't see any other challenges honestly. The entirety of the tank position of the fight is nothing more than picking up adds for the most part

I haven't even tried Ravana Ex yet so I got nothing there. I'm just hoping a Hive Claymore is worth it.

Ravana is either the easiest fight for tank or the hardest.
You can dance with his Blinding Blade+Parry+Testhua(sp?) moveset by splitting the damage of BB and rotating him afterward.
Or you can stand there and use CD+healers to take all the damage from BB.
The latter is easier if you have the gear to support a 15k damage move.

goddammit, how many more Aery runs do I need to do before RNG stops being a fucking bitch and gives me the Nidhogg card?

It's much much better to just run dungeons when you need to level a job and a lucky card drops in your inventory during routine leveling.

Anything else is pretty much self-loathing. I don't think the drop rates are that terrible but having to invest 20-30 minutes per roll of the dice is soul crushing.

Kanashimi

I probably missed this train, but after a week I can confirm I'm not a fan of the loot system in Alex. I ran it with a static the first day on our raid night with no issues. I got lucky and got floor one and floor four out of the way. The issue was attempting to match the items for floor two and three. Getting a second pedal despite grinding for a week seemed harder than getting a pony (I should know, I have the Kirin mount).

So many groups just fall on their knees at floor two, and it's like slapping myself in the face with a frying pan. I had five hours of straight failures after already grinding with a few friends. When I get some tanks that grab, a-ok. When I get a DPS that wants to be in the mech and at least one tank that can grab, holy shit... happy days ahead.

Sorry, I had to bitch a little. Was kinda bitter after the amount of hours I put into Alex I wasn't able to get anything from floor two.

But hey, at least my static cleared Ravana EX in less than an hour with none of us having any prior knowledge! :D

Noi

I'm currently doing Through the Maelstrom quests on my way to Heavesward content, getting like 4k exp per quest. It's minuscule but it's better than nothing I guess. If you're gonna play Heavensward anyways then you might as well activate it.

The exp for the 2.1- 2.5 quests themselves is booty buttcheeks, but the roulette experience from low level, high level and main scenario is great. Usually gives you huge chunks at a time. Had a friend who started HW content at like, level 54 cause of that.

I can confirm that you can do this, I'm level 51 and only just on the quest after Garuda.

Rising_Hei

He arguments that it's because of the Bisbarck DPS check, but i said that the whole pool+double prey on Ravana causes more wipes and it's harder for people to master it when they are newbies than anything Bismark EX has, which you would only need a few tried to learn.
The Claymore it's awesome.

(I have solo tanked Ravana and found it to be very easy compared to T5&9 once you master shelltron, using hallowed ground in the key moment of 2nd butterfly phase)

grimmiq

Got my ARM to 60 right before maintenance, converted all my lvl55 gear and ended up with 700k worth of materia, should make buying the NQ lvl60 set easy.

Can someone please confirm that as a mid level returning player there are no reasons to purchase the expansion.

Unless you want to play as an Au'Ra, you're good for now.

Top Bottom