• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Sorian

Banned
I mean, saying dumb things is pretty much this thread's wheelhouse.

You know how when new OTs are made, the wall of shame is usually posted at the start and it shows everyones post number from the last thread? We should have one of those but the system should somehow flag dumb things said and only organize by that number.

Lanrutcon

You know how when new OTs are made, the wall of shame is usually posted at the start and it shows everyones post number from the last thread? We should have one of those but the system should somehow flag dumb things said and only organize by that number.

If you invent a system that automatically flags dumb things people say YOU WOULD MAKE A FREAKING FORTUNE.

Think of the applications.

Not sure what people are talking about. Who said anything dumb? People just debating two sides to how public dps numbers affect players, and the general skill level of players.

Sorian

Banned
If you invent a system that automatically flags dumb things people say YOU WOULD MAKE A FREAKING FORTUNE.

Think of the applications.

Well for this thread, we should be pretty close to set if we flag all posts that mention fracture, poison pots, DPS/parse/meters, and lalafells.

iammeiam

If I got pro brds when I get double brd, I'd never complain. But that's usually not the case, and factoring in that it's not a pure dps class amplifies this. The clock speaks for itself.

Abysmal performance isn't bard exclusive. Bard was actually traditionally the easiest class to put out "Meh, okay" numbers on--a potato bard would probably outperform a potato BLM. Not sure if this holds after expansion or not, but the damage ceiling being low was fairly balanced out by the damage floor being higher. The clock is a measure of the overall impact of the party, not just the DPS. Scy mentioned a lot of dungeon speed being on the tank, and this is completely true. Competent pulls that match the party comp make a huge difference. You pull differently for 2x melee than for double bard or bard/BLM or double SMN. If the healer is up for DPSing, taking that into account matters. The pattern and flow of the pulls is huge and directly impacts the clock.

"LOL bard" is frustrating because it's intellectually lazy. 2x bard isn't an issue. 2x bad players is, regardless of class. You can ramble all you want about other MMOs, in the here and now and how FFXIV actually works, bard AOE and bard burst are actually decently solid and double bard isn't exactly a problem in dungeons.

I'd rather not go further into this topic because it's obvious this community isn't really used to these kind of conversations. I'll give a short analogy. In WoW, hunters are usually bad. When you get hunters in your group, you groan. FF14 has its own version of this, and because the party size is smaller, it can make you groan more, especially because the average dungeon length is longer in this game.

Yes, any good player can make a class shine and dungeons don't have big requirements. But when certain factors align, especially with certain classes, the torture is much more apparent. If I got pro brds when I get double brd, I'd never complain. But that's usually not the case, and factoring in that it's not a pure dps class amplifies this. The clock speaks for itself.

Getting 2 bad bards isn't much different than getting 2 bad dragoons though. Dragoons have/had the same stygma as bards, and are still largely played by terrible players, and it's not uncommon for me to see dragoons at 60 in upgraded law gear doing under 500DPS, which wasn't even considered good back in the lvl 50 cap. In the end, it's not really a class thing and very much a bad players issues.

And I don't know if there's really more bad bards than other classes now that they changed the mechanics so much, a lot of them just quit the class, especially since the bads are the most prone to reading reddit, seeing "bards are garbage" and rolling the new fotm(aka dragoons). I don't get bards much anymore and most of them I'd say are fairly decent, with a few completely trash, but not much more than other classes. If anything, Mechanics might be the class, since it's as/more complicated than the new bards, has a fairly high skill ceiling, has lower raw damage output in general and a lot of people switched to it because it's new and shiny.

Sorian

Banned
Abysmal performance isn't bard exclusive. Bard was actually traditionally the easiest class to put out "Meh, okay" numbers on--a potato bard would probably outperform a potato BLM. Not sure if this holds after expansion or not, but the damage ceiling being low was fairly balanced out by the damage floor being higher. The clock is a measure of the overall impact of the party, not just the DPS. Scy mentioned a lot of dungeon speed being on the tank, and this is completely true. Competent pulls that match the party comp make a huge difference. You pull differently for 2x melee than for double bard or bard/BLM or double SMN. If the healer is up for DPSing, taking that into account matters. The pattern and flow of the pulls is huge and directly impacts the clock.

"LOL bard" is frustrating because it's intellectually lazy. 2x bard isn't an issue. 2x bad players is, regardless of class. You can ramble all you want about other MMOs, in the here and now and how FFXIV actually works, bard AOE and bard burst are actually decently solid and double bard isn't exactly a problem in dungeons.

Are you finally admitting that being a lala just makes everything worse?

scy

I might have to level up my DRG again just so I have some sort of control over the outcome. It is painful when me, as the tank, surpasses a DPS character of comparable iLVL.

I dunno, tank DPS is pretty significant. I mean, even without i180 everywhere (but with Hive weapon) I could hold through 600+ in Bismarck EX as DRK. Honestly, if anything this is one of the best examples of how big of a difference tank DPS can make.

can I be on top of both

Right, and I said that, but bard having the type of class it is in this game means I'd rather take two bad monks than two bad bards. There. I said it. Come at me, brd!

The hilarious part is that the Bard damage floor is higher than Monk; the issue with BRD/MCH was their ceiling, really.

Alucrid

Banned
Getting 2 bad bards isn't much different than getting 2 bad dragoons though. Dragoons have/had the same stygma as bards, and are still largely played by terrible players, and it's not uncommon for me to see dragoons at 60 in upgraded law gear doing under 500DPS, which wasn't even considered good back in the lvl 50 cap. In the end, it's not really a class thing and very much a bad players issues.

And I don't know if there's really more bad bards than other classes now that they changed the mechanics so much, a lot of them just quit the class, especially since the bads are the most prone to reading reddit, seeing "bards are garbage" and rolling the new fotm(aka dragoons). I don't get bards much anymore and most of them I'd say are fairly decent, with a few completely trash, but not much more than other classes. If anything, Mechanics might be the class, since it's as/more complicated than the new bards, has a fairly high skill ceiling, has lower raw damage output in general and a lot of people switched to it because it's new and shiny.

when did this bard = bad, dragoon = good switch happen?

Right, I agree with all of that and said so throughout multiple posts. Half of my original post was "lol bard-esque" which I guess is the part you took issue with. I wouldn't say intellectually lazy, just a flaw in the party design for me. Having only two slots really makes these kinds of small things a bigger deal. With just one more player you can genuinely mask the others' performance. I'm not trying to do 14 vs WoW, obviously I'm playing 14 over WoW, just that it's the easiest point of comparison.

The hilarious part is that the Bard damage floor is higher than Monk; the issue with BRD/MCH was their ceiling, really.

How many people in this game even know what dmg floors/ceilings are. Some players can't even find the floor.

when did this bard = bad, dragoon = good switch happen?

the true underlying issue

iammeiam

Right, I agree with all of that and said so throughout multiple posts. Half of my original post was "lol bard-esque" which I guess is the part you took issue with. I wouldn't say intellectually lazy, just a flaw in the party design for me. Having only two slots really makes these kinds of small things a bigger deal. With just one more player you can genuinely mask the others' performance. I'm not trying to do 14 vs WoW, obviously I'm playing 14 over WoW, just that it's the easiest point of comparison.

There is no "small thing" to make a bigger deal, is my point. If you DF two DPS, you should be equally scared of pretty much any pairing. There are areas where the ranged physical DPS ceiling is relevant, but dungeons aren't one of them.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Bad players exist because the game does a pretty poor job of explaining how to play each class, really. A lot of single player FF fans and more casual players do play this game and so they won't be the ones researching rotations and the like. SE should really consider that going forward.

Arkeband

Banned
Throwing Knife.

That thing that flies out of dragoons at the cost of half of their TP and does so little damage it actually heals the boss.

I was pretty disappointed that they didn't buff that as a trait or something on the way to 60. It would have broken nothing and maybe actually made the ability worth using once in a blue moon.

Bad players exist because the game does a pretty poor job of explaining how to play each class, really. A lot of single player FF fans and more casual players do play this game and so they won't be the ones researching rotations and the like. SE should really consider that going forward.

And that's why my guildhest idea is the bees' knees!

fedexpeon

Banned
To solve bad group dps, they should remove the limitation behind tank stance.
This allows tank to achieve 800-1k dps and carry bad dps players.
It will allow healers not to stress out in healing as well.
Add an extra potency if the tank isn't the highest enmity for OT.
It is a win-win-win situation.

And a win-win-win-win-win-win-win situation for the overall community if they buff tank dps.
People will play more tanks knowing that their dps is on par with the average DPS player while a bit below a mastered one, lowering the queue time for DF, increasing the chance of success with DPS check fight, increasing a successful run due to higher flux of skilled tanks % entering the queue, and lowering the dungeon run time.

Seriously, is there a con in giving tank a high dps buff?

WolvenOne

well there goes the monk reign of terror

were monks were top dps?

i don't know

For a long time. Good DRG's and Ninja's could get pretty close at level 50 though, but MNK was awarded a bit extra for having a slightly more complex rotation.

Supposedly DRG in the melee king right now. Partly why getting it to 60 next is my next order of business. That, and to have some other class to spend LAW tomes on. <_<;;

Ken

To solve bad group DPS, we should just get 50 steps of attunement for any content harder than delivering Tataru's tea leaves.

Sorian

Banned
Seriously, is there a con in giving tank a high dps buff?

Fights will be tuned around the fact that tanks should be putting out high dps which means that in dungeon settings now you have 3 people doing shit numbers instead of 2 ad in 8 mans, you have 6 people doing shit instead of 4.

Sometimes I wonder how much thought you put into your posts before going to town.

Running through all the ARR content is fun, not.

At least I'm on 2.1 now, considering I'm skipping all the cutscenes I'm definitely hoping I enjoy endgame. lol

Otherwise I'll just hit up the a Golden Saucer I guess.

fedexpeon

Banned
Fights will be tuned around the fact that tanks should be putting out high dps which means that in dungeon settings now you have 3 people doing shit numbers instead of 2 ad in 8 mans, you have 6 people doing shit instead of 4.

Sometimes I wonder how much thought you put into your posts before going to town.

No, fights will be tuned to be the same as of right now.
So these bad players can still be bad, but the tank dps will bring the group overall damage to average number.

There is no point in tuning fight for this tank buff if you want to increase success rate %.
If you tune for the tank dps then of course the rate will be the same or even lower since now you have 6 people to hands hold.

Ken

No, fights will be tuned to be the same as of right now.
So these bad players can still be bad, but the tank dps will bring the group overall damage to average number.

There is no point in tuning fight for this tank buff if you want to increase success rate %.
If you tune for the tank dps then of course the rate will be the same or even lower since now you have 6 people to hands hold.

Spoilers they only care to increase the success rate of fights once it's no longer the new hot thing.

Yeah if they wanted to just make DPS easier, they'd make the mobs have less health/dps do more damage without optimal rotations, there's no need to increase tank damage. When they want content to be easier to beat, they give it Echo. Then everyone does more damage, has more health and heals for more, so it's easier.

And normal alex isn't getting Echo until 3.1 I'd say.

I got a Neverreap DF yesterday with two bards. No parser needed when the clock timer goes past 40 minutes.

Two bards in DF should not be allowed.

normally that is the case, the duty finder system tries to find 1 melee and 1 range. since alexander released not enough people have been running the level 60 dungeons so that's what happened. and neverreap is pretty much a one hour dungeon cause of the bosses being invulnerable throughout the fights

iammeiam

So much bard hate...smh

It'll swing back to MCH hate in a month or so. Reddit hated MCH so MCH was sub-bard pariah during and right after launch. Eventually Reddit figured out MCH isn't the worst thing, so now it's the FotM and everyone is leveling it. Then they'll hit endgame, many not having the basic damage crossclasses, mostly underperform because it's almost kind of semi-complicated, and MCH will become the new lolDRG while Bard laughs in the shadows.

normally that is the case, the duty finder system tries to find 1 melee and 1 range. since alexander released not enough people have been running the level 60 dungeons so that's what happened. and neverreap is pretty much a one hour dungeon cause of the bosses being invulnerable throughout the fights

Putting all the other stuff aside, I ran Neverreap the other day in 28 minutes. I know because it was right before the daily reset so I had checked real world time. Not saying that's a world record or anything, just that the last 3 days I've run it over and over and it's never really gone over 35 mins at most. Which is still too long for an mmo trash dungeon.

I don't really agree with placing the blame on the game for a lack of tuition; the skill explanations are fairly detailed (at least in Japanese, and I realize that character limits affect how in depth they can be in other languages) and at least for the original jobs, your skills are meted out at a pace that allows you to spend more time understanding them. Bad players are rarely just not using optimal rotations, but are unobservant and slow to react in general. The concepts involved for DPS are not that esoteric, and there are the people who discover these rotations first by experimenting and researching for themselves. You can send a Law gear Dragoon who's getting out DPSed by a Machinist with NPC store-bought gear links to rotations but you can't make them think.

Top Bottom