• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Klyka

Banned
I swear my ACT works different to other people's because I have never ever seen anyone do more than like 500dps.

Maybe I have wrong settings or something? No idea.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I swear my ACT works different to other people's because I have never ever seen anyone do more than like 500dps.

Maybe I have wrong settings or something? No idea.

Didn't you just say you hated parsers a few pages back?
There are settings you need to ensure are enabled in the battle log. Also make sure ACT has the box checked to add pet DPS to the pet owner. Google and youtube are your friend if you want to get things set up properly.

Other than that, different fights will have drastically different DPS numbers due to mechanics and downtime. The typical training dummy parses are wildly different than any fights outside of T8.

Sorian

Banned
Wait, fill me in. I've only just come back from 2.0.

It always felt like an awkward skill to blow a GCD on.

It's sarcasm, someone with a bad opinion once said that any one who can cross class it should use it because it's a dot and ticks as you go. This was incorrect.

suzu

Putting all the other stuff aside, I ran Neverreap the other day in 28 minutes. I know because it was right before the daily reset so I had checked real world time. Not saying that's a world record or anything, just that the last 3 days I've run it over and over and it's never really gone over 35 mins at most. Which is still too long for an mmo trash dungeon.

Neverreap just sucks.

It's a pretty dungeon though.

Stuart444

I like both the level 60 dungeons except the last bosses. Doubly so for the Neverreap one. Apart from that, I like the actual dungeon <3

aceface

The bosses in the new dungeons don't seem hard at all to me. The only thing challenging about the lv. 60 dungeons as healer in the 3 days I've been doing them is when the tank grabs a huge trash pull.

iammeiam

The bosses in the new dungeons don't seem hard at all to me. The only thing challenging about the lv. 60 dungeons as healer in the 3 days I've been doing them is when the tank grabs a huge trash pull.

I actually kind of want to try running EXDR on AST at some point because I can't think of anything in Fractal or Neverreap that could be anywhere near as bad as the final Vault boss.

Really the endgame dungeons were really only super annoying that first weekend when we were all minimum iLevel (I think I went in there with an i148 bow?) and everything took forever to die and tanks thought they could just pull ALL THE BEES npnp. Now if guess they're faster and easier than most of the leveling stuff.

Klyka

Banned
Didn't you just say you hated parsers a few pages back?
There are settings you need to ensure are enabled in the battle log. Also make sure ACT has the box checked to add pet DPS to the pet owner. Google and youtube are your friend if you want to get things set up properly.

Other than that, different fights will have drastically different DPS numbers due to mechanics and downtime. The typical training dummy parses are wildly different than any fights outside of T8.

No? Where did I say that?
I said giving DPS meters in the hands of everybody is a dumb idea.
Parsers are perfectly fine for the enthusiasts who actually know what they are looking for.
They are however asshole breeding machines in the hands of people who don't know what to make out of the numbers.

Apoptomon

I ought to go and do Great Goobbue Library again. I told myself I'd go back through and read the interactibles once it was done, but I clicked exit instead.

Bad players exist because the game does a pretty poor job of explaining how to play each class, really...
This is certainly part of the issue. I've seen several instances where players were surprised by the role that their class was locked into because the blurb on the character creation screen was vague and they hadn't done research. The job and class quests mostly seem to be on the right track, but some of them do a much better job of explaining a class's skill set and utility than others. Rather than give a skill as a reward for completing a class quest, it would be better to go "here's a new skill, now practice using it". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the post 2.0 classes/jobs do things more this latter way.

On parsing, while it's obvious that many people use parsers and swear by them, there are surely just as many who don't care and i don't see that changing if they made one officially available.

fedexpeon

Banned
It's my favorite dungeon of the whole xpac. It's quick, trash is easy, bosses are easy, and tons of treasure chests. I can't stand any of the other places that just look like FF13. Aery is ok I guess.

Yup, it is my favorite too for the same reasons.
So efficient if you want to cap out your law.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Since I got to i170 I was able to do Alexander Turns 1 and 2 this morning before going to bed. I got one item before having to go to bed. I won't be able to to run tonight since I have to work.

It's weird to be the top dps in Alex as a fresh i170 with no experience with the fight.

Also Alex 2 sucks.

Gerd dernit. I was supposed to get my internet today, but no. Superintendent of my building wasn't answering his phone and never showed up, so the Bell technician couldn't get me hooked up. Now I'm getting thrown back into the lottery to wait for another appointment, which probably won't be for another week at least. Sorry for the rant. Alls I wanna do is play Final Fantasy... =(

I know it is there.
But it should be public and be supported by FF14...instead of people reporting someone for breaking the TOS because they got kick for being bad.

Built-in game support would be even better so you don't have to worry about people not having a meter.
Again, the ability to announce the metric without fear is the main issue, not because there is something already there.

If you have every kicked via vote kick because you felt "their dps was bad" then you have committed a bannable offense.

Dandte

I'm pretty sure every OT experienced this moment, when you everything went smooth until you step out of the quarantine into the first add phase.

darkest_timeline.gif

This is when the game starts getting fun. I actually like it, or when you get a doube debuff in a1 or massive stack in a3.
But honestly after doing alex for a week, this is really easy even though it is named story mode.

Stuart444

Never said any of the bosses were hard, just annoying :)

I actually kind of want to try running EXDR on AST at some point because I can't think of anything in Fractal or Neverreap that could be anywhere near as bad as the final Vault boss.

Never found the final Vault boss bad myself.

scy

It's only been made annoying by the influx of tanks deciding that the best spot for the boss is either the back wall or the entrance and not, I dunno, the fucking center.

Also, nobody baits a location with the fire circles and that makes me sad.

iammeiam

Never found the final Vault boss bad myself.

Did you play on AST? Going back through on WHM the fight was alot easier, but Astrologian's weird limitations made it a huge MP struggle in a large number of runs.

It's an an easy fight on DPS, but the amount of AOE damage combined with single target damage from people standing in things plus the slow/bleed debuffs and the giant health deficits when people aren't fast on chains made it the most healing-intensive encounter in the leveling dungeons and lower range and potency and no Divine Seal on AST kept it interesting. WHM you can Divine Seal Medica II, a bubble, and regen for crazy HoT post-orbs. AST doesn't really have an equivalent.

suzu

It's my favorite dungeon of the whole xpac. It's quick, trash is easy, bosses are easy, and tons of treasure chests. I can't stand any of the other places that just look like FF13. Aery is ok I guess.

Neverreap's last boss is just really annoying.

The allagan-type dungeons are all right but, I'm kinda bored of that style now.. we're getting more of that though. lol

I have to say, though I'm leveling MNK and enjoying it I sure miss the ease of having a ranged class. Even if Bard is reduced to being a turret it made fights much easier to handle.

All I had to do was make sure Foes was up for the mages, put up my dots and keep on attacking. Didn't want to deal with the people kicking BRD and MCH because the general consensus among the ignorant is "they suck now." Was so sure that MCH was going to be my new fun job but it's too much micro management for me to handle.

Had an interesting evening

Experienced my first Alex 2 wipe when our DRK MT, who got his face removed by trash mobs twice on the way to the actual fight, refused to move mobs away from bombs or pull the dolls.

Did Midgardsormr dungeon with a tank who pulled by walking up to mobs and never used provoke or AOE hate skills, and a WHM who blasted away mobs that no one else was attacking, then ran around getting chased by them. Also stood in the napalm on the second boss and said he'd heal through it, the tank didn't need to move (two melee DPS).

Things like this are why I feel that no matter how many extra tutorials or tips they might add in game, bad players will remain bad players

Zomba13

I think the scale of Alex (and certain dungeons) annoys me more than it should. Like, you see how big Alexander is, then you do the hand and cuff and arm and all that and then that stuff is way bigger than all of the robot from the outside. It's like he is a tardis or something.

holdthephone

Neo Member
Things like this are why I feel that no matter how many extra tutorials or tips they might add in game, bad players will remain bad players

It truly is one of the most bizarre happenings in multiplayer gaming. You could write a good research paper on it, I'm almost sure of it. It's even more surprising in FFXIV given that the MSQ forces all players through so many boss mechanics and party fundamentals.

Sometimes I wonder if half the raid party is simultaneously trying to eat a bowl of cereal mid-fight.At least that's what I like to picture.

Alucrid

Banned
It truly is one of the most bizarre happenings in multiplayer gaming. You could write a good research paper on it, I'm almost sure of it. It's even more surprising in FFXIV given that the MSQ forces all players through so many boss mechanics and party fundamentals.

Sometimes I wonder if half the raid party is simultaneously trying to eat a bowl of cereal mid-fight.At least that's what I like to picture.

i'm just trying to make a sandwich, why is that a problem

Arkeband

Banned

I still maintain that the reason this is so big in FFXIV as opposed to other MMO's is the aesthetic and sheer number of players brought in by that.

You can't get all the world's inner catgirls to all congregate and then also expect them to exceed at challenging PvE content. In WoW you were constantly under attack so it was part of the atmosphere to become a deadly <X> killing machine.

Basically the game's marketed to bring in the super casual crowd and is even recommended (by us and others) as a great intro MMO. This breeds a crowd of supernewbies.

Donthizz#

Bad players exist because the game does a pretty poor job of explaining how to play each class, really. A lot of single player FF fans and more casual players do play this game and so they won't be the ones researching rotations and the like. SE should really consider that going forward.

yup. FF14 was my first MMO and only got it because..well it was Final Fantasy.

Last year I started out as a bard, During my first dungeon Tank stops doing everything, sits on the flow and tells me " dude please stop aggroing enemies". I had no Idea what "Aggro" meant at that time. After the dungeon I went online and searched what aggro meant, with that basically learned how to play a MMO correctly. It was overwhelming at first for a mmo newbie but as you keep playing everything starts to click.

So I'm guessing lot of new players don't bother researching stuff online and majority just give up after few dungeons and the few( or more than a few) that keeps playing... and end up as bad players.

holdthephone

Neo Member
I still maintain that the reason this is so big in FFXIV as opposed to other MMO's is the aesthetic and sheer number of players brought in by that.

You can't get all the world's inner catgirls to all congregate and then also expect them to exceed at challenging PvE content. In WoW you were constantly under attack so it was part of the atmosphere to become a deadly <X> killing machine.

Basically the game's marketed to bring in the super casual crowd and is even recommended (by us and others) as a great intro MMO. This breeds a crowd of supernewbies.

I think that's a fair assumption, definitely. Although there was plenty of brain-dead pugs in WoW as well.

Did you play on AST? Going back through on WHM the fight was alot easier, but Astrologian's weird limitations made it a huge MP struggle in a large number of runs.

It's an an easy fight on DPS, but the amount of AOE damage combined with single target damage from people standing in things plus the slow/bleed debuffs and the giant health deficits when people aren't fast on chains made it the most healing-intensive encounter in the leveling dungeons and lower range and potency and no Divine Seal on AST kept it interesting. WHM you can Divine Seal Medica II, a bubble, and regen for crazy HoT post-orbs. AST doesn't really have an equivalent.

Tbh, the Fractal boss is just as bad if people don't dodge stuff, since you need to constantly dispel that stupid bomb and there's pretty much as much unavoidable aoes, and then the boss also chunks the tank harder. You eventually outgear it though unlike the vault, but it can still be a struggle with bad dmg and it was quite harsh to heal at i150 or whatever I started with. MP regen gets a bit better at 60 with Celestial Opposition extending Aether by 5seconds though, slightly, and I also started using spear on aether a lot more often after I started doing 60+ content, while when lvling I was mostly shuffling for balance regardless.

Kenai

Tbh, the Fractal boss is just as bad if people don't dodge stuff, since you need to constantly dispel that stupid bomb and there's pretty much as much unavoidable aoes, and then the boss also chunks the tank harder. You eventually outgear it though unlike the vault, but it can still be a struggle with bad dmg and it was quite harsh to heal at i150 or whatever I started with. MP regen gets a bit better at 60 with Celestial Opposition extending Aether by 5seconds though, slightly, and I also started using spear on aether a lot more often after I started doing 60+ content, while when lvling I was mostly shuffling for balance regardless.

Yea fractal at ilvl entry req was the only boss I ever had trouble with as AST. Granted, at the time i didn't realize that people were setting off things they could have avoided (oh and I may have failed to notice the bomb debuff the first try...they immediately pulled though so w/e).

The only thing I dislike about AST now that their CDs/Noct (?) are being adjusted is if both of your pug DPS in 4 mans are garbage then there's no one to really take advantage of card buffs. This isn't much of a problem anymore since I don't really need to pug, but it's still pretty depressing.

Soma

Those early birds that attempt to jump on Bismarck's back right before his body connects with the island never fail to crack me up.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
These quest lines in Idyllshire...

Is this fun, Yoshi-P? Is this shit what you did during your weekends when you were a kid?

What the fuck is this shit?

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT

I love this game, but sometimes I'd gladly go to jail after fucking murdering it.

Top Bottom