• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Ayumi

Got my ARM to 60 right before maintenance, converted all my lvl55 gear and ended up with 700k worth of materia, should make buying the NQ lvl60 set easy.

Unless you want to play as an Au'Ra, you're good for now.

Hm, I have the expansion too but I haven't reached 50 yet. Shouldn't I have to reach 50 or 60 to play Au'Ra?

Hm, I have the expansion too but I haven't reached 50 yet. Shouldn't I have to reach 50 or 60 to play Au'Ra?

You can play au'ra as long as you have the expansion, regardless of levels. You do need a fantasia to change race though, or make a new char.

Ayumi

You can play au'ra as long as you have the expansion, regardless of levels. You do need a fantasia to change race though, or make a new char.

Understood, I see them in the option! I probably just didn't pay attention when I made my first character. lol

I actually just set up a macro so the game can craft for me

Scrooge McDuck agrees:

hW9INS9.png

I'm looking forward to getting my crafters to 60 so that I stop getting blindsided by jumps in how much progress I can get etc.

Ozigizo

I hit 60 MCH yesterday. Had to use a couple dailies so I could only use Low Level Roulette for law. Did not realize that it now puts me in 50-60 dungeons.

Other then that, I believe my rotation is as good as its going to get.

Audioboxer

lol oops, accidentally posted this in the FF15 topic:

Damn I got hooked on Triple Triad the last few days and levelling has suffered lol. Only at 27. Just done the main quest in that fairy place where they make you dance nonstop. Whoever made that quest line is a bastard!

Need to hit 30 to accept a quest from gegeruju so I can challenge him for cards. You need to be 30 to accept a 30 quest, right? Unsure if I can accept it at 29 or something?

Managed to win 10,000 on mini cactpot which helped buy some gold card packs.

Question about crafting: I have a level 50 BSM, but not the gear to do really high level stuff.

Do I have to gear/materia him up significantly to continue onto 50-60 crafting content, or can I buy leveling gear like you can for 50-60 Combat Classes?

Jeels

Speaking of triple triad...any recommended order on which npcs you should be playing/ guide to get the new Heavensward cards.

Do I have to gear/materia him up significantly to continue onto 50-60 crafting content, or can I buy leveling gear like you can for 50-60 Combat Classes?

Should be fine just with buying NQ vendor gear... Sure it might be a more of a pain to craft some HQ collectables but it's cheaper than buying a bunch of HQ stuff and melding it just to throw it out later

Speaking of triple triad...any recommended order on which npcs you should be playing/ guide to get the new Heavensward cards.

Edit: oops, you said 3.0 cards.

As far as which order to go in, I'm not sure it matters. All the new NPCs are a bit annoying with random/roulette/chaos rules being the main offenders.

I remember Estinien (Gribillont) and Count Edmondt de Fortemps (Marielle) being the easiest, so you can start with those two. For Marielle, she plays in a set order and can easily be manipulated with the right deck. I think my first 3 cards were Scions, and my last 2 cards were Shanatoto and Gilgamesh, and that gave me like a 90% win rate.

I would save Aymeric (Yayake) and Matoya (Midnight Dew) for later when you get better cards with 8 values. Definitely save Hilda (Idle Imperial) for last when you have as many rare cards for random rule as possible.

mauldie

It's a tough fight that oh so much worse before gear carry became a thing. I think it's optional now though.

Gaf help night will probably be starting again in a few weeks if you just want to wait until then

I'll be on the look out for that then. I didn't think the fight was/is to hard but I swear people don't know how to dodge.

Finally got that Nidhogg card. Eat a dick, RNG

Still need Bismarck and Ravana

Decided I'm gonna work on my Lvl 50 gathering classes so I'll have something to do. Got the Collectible action but I'm concerned. I never bothered to get any of blue gathering tools/gear/accessories before 3.0 and it would seem that I would need to turn in items that could potentially be 2-star or even 3-star for exp and scrips. So I'm kinda boned, aren't I? And what is the Special Folklore category for anyway?

People wanted larger, expansive zones, they gave us larger zones, and now people complain that it takes too long to get places.

I was happy with the zones the way they were so I will complain all I want.

Once that flying starts they really are perfect though.

I think they need to work out how to reward flying though. I don't like it being tied into MSQ quests. Honestly, I would just prefer if you could it just from searching for the currents.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Still being a relatively noob tank it was oddly satisfying getting 3 commendations per run of The Aery a couple of nights ago.

I can get used to this :)

Reknoc

I was happy with the zones the way they were so I will complain all I want.

Once that flying starts they really are perfect though.

I think they need to work out how to reward flying though. I don't like it being tied into MSQ quests. Honestly, I would just prefer if you could it just from searching for the currents.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it being tied to MSQs at it lets you get familiar with the land and you're not just breezing past everything during the story. I don't think it should be tied to sidequests though, since most of them aren't really fun enough to do without being able to fly.

Finally got that Nidhogg card. Eat a dick, RNG

Still need Bismarck and Ravana

Decided I'm gonna work on my Lvl 50 gathering classes so I'll have something to do. Got the Collectible action but I'm concerned. I never bothered to get any of blue gathering tools/gear/accessories before 3.0 and it would seem that I would need to turn in items that could potentially be 2-star or even 3-star for exp and scrips. So I'm kinda boned, aren't I? And what is the Special Folklore category for anyway?

You're fucked in the sense that you won't be able to gather the best collectables right away, but instead the shittier one. It starts with like a 2star or whatever but it's actually dumb easy compared to the rest(it is 50 instead of 51), I was doing it not so bad with unmelded AF and classquest/militia tools on my botanist, so yeah. But like anything higher level than that I could only get like 1 item and I had to dump 600GP everytime. I just mostly leveled it slow over time, doing GC daily, I'm 58 now and I still haven't bothered with collectable since.

However it is useful to note that you can in fact buy main hand tools very easily(pretty much every vendor has a tools section that sells NQ main hand tools every 2levels), and at 55 you can buy a full set of gathering(crafting too) armor at the moghome vendor. Offhands I'm not sure, I know the 59 and currently best ones are sold in
Matoya's Cave
as that's what I use for now on my crafted, but don't know about before. You do get one from the lvl 53 quest though, or 55 whichever it was.

Oh, true. Now that you mention it I recall hearing someone getting to 51 before starting HS MSQ.

Yup. I hit 52 PLD about 1 quest into HW MSQ. Just from doing the necessary story quests, and the few dungeon excursions required, along with maybe one or two low-level roulettes.

Ayumi

Should be fine just with buying NQ vendor gear... Sure it might be a more of a pain to craft some HQ collectables but it's cheaper than buying a bunch of HQ stuff and melding it just to throw it out later

Haman~ It's the first time I see you on GAF. (´・ω・`)

Arkeband

Banned
Can anyone give me pointers for leveling my BSM desynth?

I'm stuck at 80 and there's conveniently no easily crafted 80-110 gear to get me caught up to the HW baseline stuff. I want to be able to choose between conversion or desynth, but right now it looks like I'm going to be farming EX primals and rolling against 6 other people who are probably greeding and vendoring stuff.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Can anyone give me pointers for leveling my BSM desynth?

I'm stuck at 80 and there's conveniently no easily crafted 80-110 gear to get me caught up to the HW baseline stuff. I want to be able to choose between conversion or desynth, but right now it looks like I'm going to be farming EX primals and rolling against 6 other people who are probably greeding and vendoring stuff.
dSkill 85-110: Perfect Pestle (r90) [40% - 85%] (FC3) (only use if Aged Pestle Pieces are cheap)

dSkill 80-110: Summoning Bell (r90) [30% - 85%] (FC3) (better than Shower Stands if Petrified Logs are around the same price (or cheaper than) Scheelite)

dSkill 80-110: Shower Stand (r90) [30% - 85%] (FC3) (only better than Summoning Bells if Scheelite is notably cheaper than Petrified Logs)

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/181498-Desynthesis-ndgame-Guide

You could also try joining an undersized garuda pony farm, most people don't care for the weapon drop so you'll likely only be rolling against one or two.

AgeEighty

I don't think there's anything wrong with it being tied to MSQs at it lets you get familiar with the land and you're not just breezing past everything during the story. I don't think it should be tied to sidequests though, since most of them aren't really fun enough to do without being able to fly.

I agree with this; I had no problem with having to thoroughly explore an area on foot and finish the primary business for which the story took me there before I could fly. Plus, coming back out of the dungeon and having immediate access to flight felt like a great reward.

Ferr986

I agree with this; I had no problem with having to thoroughly explore an area on foot and finish the primary business for which the story took me there before I could fly. Plus, coming back out of the dungeon and having immediate access to flight felt like a great reward.

Imagine the travel section of the MSQ (from Ishgard to the Mist) with flying already available. Yeah nope. They just need to not put the aether quests after some other regular non MSQ side-quests.

Slathe

I'm 500k into level 58 and just finished bismarck story quest. What do you all think is the most efficient way to get to 60 and how long should it take?

Teletraan1

Banned
DF groups for just Bismarck Hard yesterday were hilarious. I went in blind as i always do as a DPS and the fight seemed pretty simple. Does having the snakes together give them some sort of toughness buff that reduced the damage they take because these runs were even more precious and hilarious if so.

After at least 3 vote abandon runs that ended in all sorts of crazy ways. We got the second snake down to ~8% while the damn snakes were too close for a good 15-20 seconds. You could see a link between them and their health bars were hardly moving. The tanks throw a fit tell us that our dps sucks that this isn't going to work AT ALL and rage quit. Them assholes leave and we get 2 competent tanks, the snakes melt away with no LB or anything and we win.

Arkeband

Banned
You could also try joining an undersized garuda pony farm, most people don't care for the weapon drop so you'll likely only be rolling against one or two.

So buy/craft things that are typically 100-200k+ apiece that I need potentially hundreds of... or farm primals that wherein I have to:
A) see dropped weapons that are classified as BSM and not GSM/CRP/ALC...
B) win against X many other people who probably don't care about my desynth level.

If I wanted to farm cards/ponies and try to convince everyone to pass on BSM weapon drops, I can do the following:

Mog HM: i75 weapons (might be too low)
Titan HM: i80 weapons
Levi EX: i95 weapons (might be too high)
Turn 5: i95 weapons (might be too high)
Ramuh EX: i100 weapons (probably too high)
Shiva EX: i110 weapons (definitely too high)

I can see myself farming some of these without pulling my hair out with an undersized party under the guise of pony/card farming. (edit: not for Mog or Titan, EX only gives accessories :()

But basically Square Enix needs to make more ilvl 80-110 craftables to fill this gap that don't require your firstborn to create.

Jayhawk

So buy/craft things that are typically 100-200k+ apiece that I need potentially hundreds of...

Have you actually looked at the cost of materials? How much do you think 110-180 BSM desynth costs? If it's already too expensive for you at level 80, give up now.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Summoner gets really complicated and non-trivial at 60. I mean it was always one of the trickier classes to do well on but they had to add another timer to watch.

Omni

So I got this email as soon as I tried to log in last night. Is this something I should be worried about? I changed my password of course... but I'm a little confused. I had to restart my modem/router before which would have given me a new IP, so would that be the cause of this?

RJyVlZ.png

Ferr986

So I got this email as soon as I tried to log in last night. Is this something I should be worried about? I changed my password of course... but I'm a little confused. I had to restart my modem/router before which would have given me a new IP, so would that be the cause of this?

RJyVlZ.png

I remember receiving that mails lots of time long time ago during ARR launch. They stopped sending them once I used the one-time password thing that came with my CE.

iammeiam

LTW desynth has been surprisingly cheap and easy so far in HW. Sohm Al is the best thing ever. I need an excuse to go back and run it a million more times, because all the gear is leather and nobody rolls on most of it.

I remember receiving that mails lots of time long time ago during ARR launch. They stopped sending them once I used the one-time password thing that came with my CE.

This is the answer. Without One Time Password, SE treats every IP change as a potential hack.

Arkeband

Banned
Have you actually looked at the cost of materials? How much do you think 110-180 BSM desynth costs? If it's already too expensive for you at level 80, give up now.

Yeah but you see, HW throws a bunch of gear at me through quests and leves and whatever that I could desynth for free.

And actually, HQ 115 weapons are cheaper than Perfect Pestles, lol.

Omni

What exactly are minions for? Can they help you in battle or something?

This is the answer. Without One Time Password, SE treats every IP change as a potential hack.

That would explain it! I've just been logging in normally each time. Will fix that up a bit later, thanks!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I just wanted to ask a question. How is it having Gauss Barrel on MCH? It adds cast time but I heard it's sort of clunky to use?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Hey randomrosso, you stopped playing Destiny?

Also yeah, you can simply change your password and log-in normally if you get that message from SE, or do the one-time thing others posted above.

scy

I just wanted to ask a question. How is it having Gauss Barrel on MCH? It adds cast time but I heard it's sort of clunky to use?

Minuet is clunky, Gauss Barrel is pretty smooth in general. All your 1-2-3 procs make your shots instant-cast so there's a lot of room on the player-side to work around the cast time. You have a lot of tools built around the idea of having a cast bar and dealing with that.

Tiops

I just want to say that Deathflare is a beautiful skill and I love it. Summoner became really fun to play with the expac, and quite powerful too. I'm still adapting to the idea of managing to keep Aetherflow and Dreadwyrm Trance up all the time, but I'm doing quite well in dungeon bosses. Don't know how hard it is on the harder content.

Omni

Gotcha. Some of them are so weird! Thanks guys.
Hey randomrosso, you stopped playing Destiny?

Also yeah, you can simply change your password and log-in normally if you get that message from SE, or do the one-time thing others posted above.

I wouldn't say stopped! More or less just play if someone needs my help at this point. Kinda shifted over to this game... Rather addicting :p

iammeiam

Beaten to "Minuet is shit, GB is awesome."

But um... GB really is great as long as you commit to the playstyle. It doesn't really play like anything else, and trying to treat it like anything else is going to be an exercise in frustration. It's less free than 2.x bard, and requires forethrought for when it's best to plant vs when to move in a way that's less punishing than Minuet or BLM. I think a lot of the complaints about GB come from people who kind of just want to prolong the pre-52 MCH playstyle, but pre-52 MCH isn't a fully realized job. GB makes it more complicated but also more rewarding when you do it right.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Beaten to "Minuet is shit, GB is awesome."

But um... GB really is great as long as you commit to the playstyle. It doesn't really play like anything else, and trying to treat it like anything else is going to be an exercise in frustration. It's less free than 2.x bard, and requires forethrought for when it's best to plant vs when to move in a way that's less punishing than Minuet or BLM. I think a lot of the complaints about GB come from people who kind of just want to prolong the pre-52 MCH playstyle, but pre-52 MCH isn't a fully realized job. GB makes it more complicated but also more rewarding when you do it right.

So essentially, GB doesn't allow for much mobility cuz there's no auto, is that right? I mean... unless you're dodging for a prolonged amount of time, it seems like GB being on is the way to go, right?

iammeiam

Aero 3 looks cool and I use it whenever I think tank damage is low enough/HoTs are high enough for me to sneak it in before SC Holy. Because it looks cool, and appearance is important.

So essentially, GB doesn't allow for much mobility cuz there's no auto, is that right? I mean... unless you're dodging for a prolonged amount of time, it seems like GB being on is the way to go, right?

GB on is generally the smart approach, especially as gear scales. There are currently I think very specific edge cases where toggling it off may have a slight numerical advantage (maybe--the parses I saw were literally 6 DPS ahead for dancing, and 5 of those were turret damage, so really only 1 DPS), but generally you want it on.

The thing MCH has, and Bard doesn't, is the ammo and proc system. If you have a proc'd shot on the 2 or 3 skills, it has no cast time. You can use ammo to guarantee procs. So if you know you have to do a couple of dodges in 10 seconds, you can use ammo to store procs to let you leave GB on and still attack while moving. Rapid Fire also gives you 3 instant-cast weapon skills. If you know you have to move constantly for an extended period of time, then maybe turn it off... But for the most part the entire point of the job seems to be figuring out how to balance mobility and damage.

I'm really bad at it, but it's more fun than Bard where when you know movement is coming you... Just keep doing the same thing because Minuet is half baked trash.

i don't get neverreap anymore. it's always fractal in roulette. i was in there 3x at the start of my career. i only remember the whirlwinds.

the dps in those dungeons dropped off considerably since alex launched. it's like i'm fighting a neverending battle. have to rest my hands after a run.

Top Bottom