• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

iammeiam

If people want to skip cutscenes they already can. There is even an option to automatically skipped watched cutscenes. Forcing new people to skip the cutscens is bullshit though. If they wanted to skip them they would. If you don't want to be paired with people who watch cutscenes then go in a premade group or don't pick a story heavy dungeon. By all means play the game how you want, just don't force that on the new people.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand, but okay.

pls time travel back like a week and half ago and have that discussion then. still too early for it to be brought up again. try next month

Valor

Anyone have a decent video guide for Machinist? I read through that massive novel on the official forums but I'd rather see a visual representation at this point, trying to nail down a decent rotation/opener.

Not saying that I'm a good machinist at all, but I put together a decent video of my modified Reload opener where I hit a 6100 Wildfire. I could find a way to throw it on the viewable interwebs if you're interested.

I don't do a whole lot different aside from popping Rapid Fire near the end of Wildfire's cast to try and squeeze in an extra gcd. I think I snuck in an extra Split Shot.

lol no, Wildstar failed because it tried to cater to the hardcore market that can no longer hold up an MMO on its own. FFXIV is not Vanilla WoW. Vanilla WoW was catering to a completely different fan base.
I'm not super well versed in WoW, but what fanbase was it catering to? I always assumed WoW was pretty welcoming and easy to get into, while hosting a variety of different scaled content. Sure, it likely didn't launch that way, but that's the outsider impression I have of the game now.

Azzurri

No, Kagari is right. FFXIV would never have the success it does if it tried to compete head to head with WoW on its home turf. That's just common sense. The game is more or less Vanilla WoW and we all know how well that worked out for Wildstar.

Didn't you even play Vanilla WoW?

There wasn't any group finder, no port to instance you had to run/walk to use your mount to go anywhere or have a warlock or mage port you. The OW was very dangerous, PvP was fun, you actually need your guild to run the endgame raids, as they were difficult and rewarding.

FFXIV is your modern day theme park, Yoship even said they wanted it as accessible as possible so everyone could enjoy the game. Vanilla WoW was nothing like FFXIV. WIldStar failed because it was too much like Vanilla WoW and BUGGY as shit.

Teknoman

People say this all the time, and it pretty much never makes sense. You get story cutscenes once every few months. After a couple of days or weeks, cutscenes are done. What do you do between patches? Unsub? Sit in the inn rewatching the cutscenes? Or maybe the non-story stuff? Sitting through the story isn't going to be how a lot of people spend the bulk of their time, and the constant shock that a portion of the playerbase has no interest in the story or the way it's told makes no sense.

#TeamSkipButton

Thats probably why they are on not skipping them. Absorbing whatever bit of story in that moment, since nothing big will move things along until the next major patch.

Jayhawk how dare you want to break your crafting immersion.

I mean... Is "different people like different things" really that big of a shock? I completely don't get the outrage.

Its not, but I guess it just seems odd to the majority of people playing, since they're probably final fantasy fans first, and mmo fans second. Also it doesnt help that people try to tell others to just watch the scene (for the first time) back at the inn.

Maybe its not as prevalent as it used to be, but both sides should be fine with one another...as long as they arent forced to skip cutscenes or admonished because they do.

THE MAIN STORYLINE

DOES NOT WANT TO END

I JUST UNLOCKED ANOTHER DUNGEON

i am never getting to the expansion, am I?

Take your time and enjoy the ride. Unless you're really wanting to be an expansion job.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
THE MAIN STORYLINE

DOES NOT WANT TO END

I JUST UNLOCKED ANOTHER DUNGEON

i am never getting to the expansion, am I?

You really aren't.

By the time we're up to the third expansion people will have to invest like 200 hours into the main quest lines just to be able to enter the new areas.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
FFXIV is your modern day theme park, Yoship even said they wanted it as accessible as possible so everyone could enjoy the game. Vanilla WoW was nothing like FFXIV.

I should've been more specific. I was referring almost exclusively to the depth of class mechanics although I regret the comparison to Wildstar. Quest design is the other major thing that makes me think "Vanilla WoW".

But no really, it wasn't until HW until I saw some real complexity to rotations. I consider combat to be the cornerstone of MMO design, since it's what players will be doing 90% of the time they're not waiting for things to pop. I played a few classes to 50 in ~2.3 (PLD, BLM, SMN, SCH) and I felt about as engaged as I was back in 2005. This is my perspective as someone who tends to dabble and window shop with modern MMOs.

Lanrutcon

You really aren't.

By the time we're up to the third expansion people will have to invest like 200 hours into the main quest lines just to be able to enter the new areas.

I'm like...surely they should see the bloat? I don't even know what's going on anymore. If I actually watched every cutscene I'd be 3 or 4 days behind where I am now. For the love of crap if I wanted to read a book I'd go read a friggin book.

I just unlocked The Cryssomethingorother. Please tell me I'm nearing the end.

Teknoman

You really aren't.

Doubt that. It'll probably be something close to FFXI where you just have to get to a certain point in the vanilla main scenario to unlock whatever for the 2nd and future expansions.

To be honest, im not sure why some are trying to blitz to Heavensward if they havent really played the game itself in a very long time. Its still new content to you...unless you just want to play one of the 3 new jobs / arent really having fun with the initial jobs.

Jayhawk

pls time travel back like a week and half ago and have that discussion then. still too early for it to be brought up again. try next month

Can we start a discussion on why Kagari wasn't picking up adds in time from Alexander last night? She was making the head coach look bad on her stream last night. Head coach gets us all the floor 4 clears.

Sorian

Banned
Except Yoshida himself said at least 50% of players in Japan are on console. They can't ignore that market.

I hear they have two consoles they've launched on and one of them is a dinosaur. I understand why PS3 version existed for 2.0. I have a hard time defending it for 3.0 and beyond.

I'm not super well versed in WoW, but what fanbase was it catering to? I always assumed WoW was pretty welcoming and easy to get into, while hosting a variety of different scaled content. Sure, it likely didn't launch that way, but that's the outsider impression I have of the game now.

I know this sounds weird, and I'm not being sarcastic, but MMOs didn't really used to be fun. They used to be addicting and punishing. WoW came out off the heels of things like Everquest and the market they were trying to pull away from Everquest was the hardcore who were fine doing whatever as long as it kept them busy.

WoW has slowly evolved into the very casual beast that it is today. The last thing I would call WoW at launch was welcoming and easy to get into.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
You really aren't.

You are nieve of you think they will keep the current progression structure in future expansions.

Arkeband

Banned
First of all most modern MMO's have cutscenes of some sort, they're not that foreign to the genre.

Second of all he wasn't talking about skipping cutscenes in dungeons after seeing them once, he's talking about going out of his way to make sure he never spends his time ever seeing one.

Third of all they provide the entire context for everything you're doing playing the game. Why are you in Alexander?
I dunno lol skipped the cutscene!
Who is Thordan?
I dunno his music was cool though! Boy he sure was pissed... about how my character stole his sandwich!!!

"Hey did you beat Final Fantasy X?"
"Yeah"
"What did you think of the ending?"
"A soon as Yu Yevon hit 0 hitpoints I went outside and played badminton, I didn't want to have to sit through a filthy cutscene!"

*implodes*

fedexpeon

Banned
Why does Japan hate PCs plz Japan stop.

Seriously this.
This game doesn't even look that good at max setting.
Barely any grasses and good looking rocks =/.
Tree is full of polygon.

BTW, I remember in FF14 1.0, there were leaves and wind/sand blowing in the background+the character slow down animation...WTF happen to those animations?
I don't see jack in the old zones anymore.

Teknoman

I'm like...surely they should see the bloat? I don't even know what's going on anymore. If I actually watched every cutscene I'd be 3 or 4 days behind where I am now. For the love of crap if I wanted to read a book I'd go read a friggin book.

I just unlocked The Cryssomethingorother. Please tell me I'm nearing the end.

Chrysalis? I think you still have one more major battle and a dungeon.

Seriously this.
Tree is full of polygon.

BTW, I remember in FF14 1.0, there were leaves and wind/sand blowing in the background+the character slow down animation...WTF happen to those animations?
I don't see jack in the old zones anymore.

I will say I wish they'd add a bit more minor animations / background stuff here and there. Game looks great at max though, so dunno about that.

Can we start a discussion on why Kagari wasn't picking up adds in time from Alexander last night? She was making the head coach look bad on her stream last night. Head coach gets us all the floor 4 clears.

not gonna get that raise this year with that performance

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I hear they have two consoles they've launched on and one of them is a dinosaur. I understand why PS3 version existed for 2.0. I have a hard time defending it for 3.0 and beyond.

I know this sounds weird, and I'm not being sarcastic, but MMOs didn't really used to be fun. They used to be addicting and punishing. WoW came out off the heels of things like Everquest and the market they were trying to pull away from Everquest was the hardcore who were fine doing whatever as long as it kept them busy.

WoW has slowly evolved into the very casual beast that it is today. The last thing I would call WoW at launch was welcoming and easy to get into.

Because Japan has been slow to move on compared to the rest of the world.

Sorian

Banned
not gonna get that raise this year with that performance

We'd demote her but I don't know a position lower than BRD/MCH.

I'm leaving myself open to a wicked burn here.

Because Japan has been slow to move on compared to the rest of the world.

Yeah, this effect happened for PS2 -> PS3 and I blame FFXI for that one as well. These games hold big market share in japan. If they force them to move to the PS4, it will happen.

iammeiam

Thats probably why they are on not skipping them. Absorbing whatever bit of story in that moment, since nothing big will move things along until the next major patch.

Just to be clear: Nobody has, at any point in this discussion, questioned why people who watch the story watch the story.

This is just round 356 of "how dare you not like what I like", and explanations about why team story is team story or trying to fall back on the extremely tired and rehashed Castrum/Prae arguments is more diversion than anything.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Not saying that I'm a good machinist at all, but I put together a decent video of my modified Reload opener where I hit a 6100 Wildfire. I could find a way to throw it on the viewable interwebs if you're interested.

I don't do a whole lot different aside from popping Rapid Fire near the end of Wildfire's cast to try and squeeze in an extra gcd. I think I snuck in an extra Split Shot.

Where is this long MCH guide on the forums? I'd love to read up on it...

IvorB

I feel like everyone who is loved up on the Heavensward story is forgetting that the pre-HW story was frequently sh*t and highly skippable.

Sorian

Banned
I feel like everyone who is loved up on the Heavensward story is forgetting that the pre-HW story was frequently sh*t and highly skippable.

I did actually enjoy it. I'm not one trying to force others to watch story bits though. I'm aware its not for everyone.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
We'd demote her but I don't know a position lower than BRD/MCH.

I'm leaving myself open to a wicked burn here.

Yeah, this effect happened for PS2 -> PS3 and I blame FFXI for that one as well. These games hold big market share in japan. If they force them to move to the PS4, it will happen.

p sure all the groups want summoners now :eek:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Except Yoshida himself said at least 50% of players in Japan are on console. They can't ignore that market.
You see this is why I want to see a census to see how viable that would be at this point because I was hoping they drop it by the time 4.0 would come out but if their are really going to do yearly Expansions than that's certainly not happening when 4.0 Drops.

WolvenOne

Wow, guess I don't even have to say anything for the OT to run off onto these sorts of tangents.

...welp, time to retire to Mexico.

PS: They probably aren't going to be doing yearly expansions. Patch story is written out up till 3.5, so this expansion is going to get at least five major patches.

5 patches in less than twelve months would be staggering.

IvorB

I did actually enjoy it. I'm not one trying to force others to watch story bits though. I'm aware its not for everyone.

It definitely had its moments but there was a lot of filler. I kind of got a sense of when to skip and when to watch so I managed to get the gist of it I think. The Heavensward story just feels so much more focused and tight.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Seriously this.
Tree is full of polygon.

For what it's worth I think the game looks great. Art style wise, it's tops, regardless of the graphical fidelity. It still blows WoW out of the water.

The real downside to having to maintain PS3 compatibility is:

1) Soft-cap on complexity of classes. If it's not manageable on a controller, it's not kosher for half the audience.

2) Limitations to quest design. It's 2015 and we're still /beckon'ing at an NPC. No phasing. No branching quest paths. No seamless cutscenes. Hunt mobs disappearing.

3) Even though WoW is still mostly target and click, it's been steadily moving towards "skillshots", which is the latest and most interesting MMO combat design paradigm. Wildstar, GW2, TERA all have it. Korea's new F2P/instanced-MMO offerings also have it. Dragon's Dogma Online is taking full advantage of it.

But it is very demanding on CPU I imagine so it's just an other thing that the PS3 puts a limitation on.

4) NIN's well-known Mudra lag is just a symptom of the server design (that 0.5 second refresh cycle, I believe) which, I assume, is a consequence of PS3 compatibility.

5) Macros? Probably server-related which, I imagine, is PS3 related as well.

6) Add-ons? PS3 related.

7) The zone transition thing although honestly it's not that big of a deal. I just don't like the fact that some of the quest givers are instanced away as well because it makes already grueling questlines just a little more tedious. This is a design decision though. I'm sure the PS3 has no trouble rendering the Rising Stones. No one wants to be there anyway except the Minfillia fans.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You see this is why I want to see a census to see how viable that would be at this point because I was hoping they drop it by the time 4.0 would come out but if their are really going to do yearly Expansions than that's certainly not happening when 4.0 Drops.

SE seems really hesitant to give exact numbers. Even when I reported on Yoshida wanting to drop PS3 from 4.0 on they quickly contacted us to remove the story.

scy

Where is this long MCH guide on the forums? I'd love to read up on it...

Shots Fired. Worth noting that original iterations of it were hilariously misinformed so unsure if it's improved fully or not. I know Hax was planning a Machinist guide at some point so might be another one available eventually.

Stop having fun wrong though.

only one way to have fun apparently

It's half-and-half? Like, I think WoW when it launched was super casual-ish but I came from world first EQ raiding. But it was less about raw accessibility and time spent sort of things but just how streamliend everything was. It still gated content. It still required tons of time. It was just an overall smoother experience.

Arkeband

Banned
only one way to have fun apparently

I think in a Final Fantasy game, watching cutscenes is a low bar to set for 'things you're expected to do while you play', but apparently I'm wrong - you keep keeping on, weird contextless game players, I'm sure bringing up in conversations that you wholly omit the story from how you play isn't fishing for reactions.

iammeiam

As a naked Au Ra or cat female.

See, I feel like if I can accept that some people desperately want to be their own scantily-clad waifu, other people should be able to deal with my lack of interest in the story behind the guy shouting "THIS SHALL BE A MERCY!" on Vault run 37.

#AlsoTeamPotato

Teknoman

They aren't going to be on an annual release for expacs. They'll probably start hitting 1.5 years between each though.

I hope they have patches like the ninja patch in store as well. Nice to not have to wait for an expansion to add a new class/job/whatever.

EDIT: I really dont see anything wrong with people skipping cutscenes if they want to, as long as I dont get bugged about skipping a boss intro scene, dungeon intro scene, or whatever the first time around. That being said, i'm also the guy who cant see how anyone can play a game on mute or with something else playing in the background and the game on mute.

See, I feel like if I can accept that some people desperately want to be their own scantily-clad waifu, other people should be able to deal with my lack of interest in the story behind the guy shouting "THIS SHALL BE A MERCY!" on Vault run 37.

#AlsoTeamPotato

had a dark knight tank yesterdy w/ a hempen camise top, wedding dress pants, and bunny ears glamour

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
SE seems really hesitant to give exact numbers. Even when I reported on Yoshida wanting to drop PS3 from 4.0 on they quickly contacted us to remove the story.
Oh man.....can anyone familiar with the FFXI version tell me if the PS2 version is still supported and are there any active PS2 players that anyone knows of?

Tabris

So Yoshi basically said content will be handled the same way from 3.0 to 4.0 to 5.0, except increase the time to expansions.

So no chance at 2 or more concurrent active raids or endgame content. One at a time.

Disappointing. I'll be interested to see how Alex Savage goes. I know it'll take a while in terms of progression, but how long to be tired of looking at that same boss / arena. Luckily the mechanics look like they will be fun in a savage mode, but the look and feel of that content is so boring and non-epic. Plus no new story to get after beating that content anymore.

It's almost a step backwards.

EDIT - Like for example, wiping on T13 wasn't as bad sometimes because I could at least hum the song. All the explosions looked awesome. Arena looked cool. Plus trying to get that clear to see the story was a bit extra motivation.

Top Bottom