• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Valor

Maybe we should start a gofundme and get Drama a PS4
We mention this at least every other week in mumble. One day, maybe.
You can most certainly give this game more attention than it observes, while still doing other things. Besides, the expansion just came out, of course there isn't going to be a ton to do at level-cap yet. That'll change soon enough.
As much as you're always so wrong, this is really true, I feel. At the start of the expac I didn't expect the endgame to be overflowing with content. I remarked to my brother that I was worried about the endgame activities that they launched with. Two primals (one that matters) and a Babby mode raid is supposed to tide people over until Savage (which you can only run once a week anyway). It's not a whole wealth of endgame content off the bat. It'll be added to, sure, but yeah. I wouldn't call it a problem that there's not an overwhelming amount of battle content, but with crafting/gathering and all sorts of other junk that isn't raid related in the game as it stands, I think it's safe to say there's a lot for people to do.

The issue is that there are people who aren't interested in these things. As we've discussed for the past page + this is a horrible thing and everyone is wrong for not enjoying what I enjoy you aren't even getting the most out of this game stop having fun wrong you dummies.

fedexpeon

Banned
Since starting FFXIV, I've kept up with my offline social life, bicycled a couple thousand miles (Not exaggerating, most summers I bicycle 10+ miles a day,) have mostly kept up gym work, and have still logged in 3000+ hours into this game.

You can most certainly give this game more attention than it observes, while still doing other things. Besides, the expansion just came out, of course there isn't going to be a ton to do at level-cap yet. That'll change soon enough.

I have been lazy going to the gym these past weeks due to rushing FF14 contents =(.
But now that I am above 180 ilvl, I can finally stop logging onto FF14 on a daily basic. (I will probably skip salvage Alex though...I am too burned out right now due to me rushing)
I really should get another character to max level...but the leveling system is so tedious even with the 50-100% bonus.
Please SE, let me buy a $40 powerup to 60.

WolvenOne

To be fair, strictly speaking a prettier version of FFXIV isn't an essential purchase, not when compared to food, shelter, and general wellbeing.

Still, I think in general PS3 users should upgrade as soon as they can comfortably handle the financials. I mean, if they're planning to continue playing for a long while anyway.

I have been lazy going to the gym these past weeks due to rushing FF14 contents =(.
But now that I am above 180 ilvl, I can finally stop logging onto FF14 on a daily basic.
I really should get another character to max level...but the leveling system is so tedious even with the 50-100% bonus.

Assuming you're not waiting forty minutes for queues to pop, which I haven't been seeing even on DPS classes lately, leveling other classes really isn't painful. Nice little chill diversion actually.

Sorian

Banned
To be completely fair, the game is kind of content light. I mean, you can complain back and forth all you want about it but it's still true. They do a great job of keeping the content cycles low so we get new stuff quicker but they do a miserable job of keeping old content relevant which just means we only ever have the newest thing they've put into the game which isn't usually much.

----

Drama, I found something that should be able to run the game better for you.

4 slots means double the processing power of a normal one.

But now that I am above 180 ilvl, I can finally stop logging onto FF14 on a daily basic. (I will probably skip salvage Alex though...I am too burned out right now due to me rushing)

You're somehow shooting past everyone else for worst poster of the thread.

To be completely fair, the game is kind of content light. I mean, you can complain back and forth all you want about it but it's still true. They do a great job of keeping the content cycles low so we get new stuff quicker but they do a miserable job of keeping old content relevant which just means we only ever have the newest thing they've put into the game which isn't usually much.

----

ded

Omni

How do you remove your gear?

I used that potion thing so I could change my appearance. It says to remove everything and to log out. Just not sure how to. (also it only changes your appearance, right? I won't lose any gear or anything?)

I used that potion thing so I could change my appearance. It says to remove everything and to log out. Just not sure how to. (also it only changes your appearance, right? I won't lose any gear or anything?)

You'll only be able to remove everything but your weapon. Just move it all to the armory or your inv.

Yup, and I only play about 10hrs a week except during patch releases. That doesn't change my point, because it's how you spend the 10hrs.

Answer my question - Were you fine with running Nevereap 10+ times over? Why would you not want something different.

If you hate the grinding and it doesn't look like it's going to change why bother playing? This happens almost every patch.

Tabris

Play different games.

Is this all you play? i can understand your position if it is.
The content that exists is enough for people with other shit to do or play

Generally it is all I play except an offline game every 1-2 months.

I play this game about 10hrs a week on average.

When in the middle of the cycle, that 10hrs is spent on a single raid and maybe a roulette or two. The issue is what I spend those 10hrs on. I want varied content. Would be nice to spend a couple hours on one raid, couple hours on another raid, and then maybe an easier raid for a couple hours.

That's why the time lockout mechanics of FF11 were nice. You were limited to doing raids like Dynamis and Salvage for 3hrs every 3-4 days.

you wont lose gear. if you're on pc just right click it and press unequip or drag it to the armory chest. I believe on ps4 you have to use the square button

The one thing to remember is that if you change gender some equipment wont be equipabble due to gender restriction. Like the wedding dress and bikini

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
PSN acting shitty so I'm not able to play, sadness.
Hopefully it will be fix by the time I get home from work and while I do prefer to play it on my PS4 this is why I bought the game again so I can play it on PC in case I run into cases like this.

fedexpeon

Banned

----

Why?
Is it wrong to ask for powerup when you have reached a point where it is more efficent to use money over time valuation?
I want to play less and continue to improve my health.

Tabris

If you hate the grinding and it doesn't look like it's going to change why bother playing? This happens almost every patch.

Because I like other elements of this game. I like design of gameplay, the art design, soundtrack, story, boss and dungeon design. I am complaining about there being a single piece of content to run over and over every week until the next patch.

I still do not understand why someone would defend that.

It's like defending Nintendo's online strategy because you like Nintendo games.

Valnen

I mean... Is "different people like different things" really that big of a shock? I completely don't get the outrage.

I mean...if you're going to skip everything, you might as well just be playing a shitty game like WoW. Story is what sets this game apart from other MMO's.

holdthephone

Neo Member
I mean...if you're going to skip everything, you might as well just be playing a shitty game like WoW. Story is what sets this game apart from other MMO's.

WoW had a pretty fantastic world up until a certain point. Not exactly a story in the dialogue sense, but an adventure all the same. Less bothersome, too.

Because I like other elements of this game. I like design of gameplay, the art design, soundtrack, story, boss and dungeon design. I am complaining about there being a single piece of content to run over and over every week until the next patch.

I still do not understand why someone would defend that.

It's like defending Nintendo's online strategy because you like Nintendo games.

Hey I like all of those things too. I listen to the soundtracks at work and at the gym. The game is beautiful and I like going through the MSQ.

I don't defend what they're doing at all BTW. I am just recognizing that there is nothing I can do to change SE strategy. After the end of 2.55 MSQ I got bored of EXDR and got to a "what the heck am doing this for" and stopped playing until Heavensward.

I used to play GW2 religiously for the same reasons until the content got weak and repetitive and the only reason I logged in was to do dailies. I personally felt it was a waste of time and I haven't played since.

When I personally feel bad about logging in to do dailies in FFXIV that's when my sub is over until the next content patch comes out.

iammeiam

I'm torn between seriously responding and giving this the respect it deserves.

I'm going to go with: Have you seen WoW's hat collection? Pls.

fedexpeon

Banned
So play less and go improve your health.

I am like i stated above. I have reached that point in itemization that I don't need to log everyday.

I just want more option to level, and it doesn't hurt anyone to have instant powerup. It also provides SE more revenue stream by promoting these type of option since it is just a QoL option like getting additional retainers.

Sorian

Banned

I'm torn between seriously responding and giving this the respect it deserves.

I'm going to go with: Have you seen WoW's hat collection? Pls.

I'm 100% sure I could find a hat that looks just like Amon's. They've been making hats for too damn long for their not to be a dupe.

I am like i stated above. I have reached that point in itemization that I don't need to log everyday.

I just want more option to level, and it doesn't hurt anyone to have instant powerup. It also provides SE more revenue stream by promoting these type of option since it is just a QoL option like getting additional retainers.

It also provides even more people who are shit tier at their class.

Generally it is all I play except an offline game every 1-2 months.

I play this game about 10hrs a week on average.

When in the middle of the cycle, that 10hrs is spent on a single raid and maybe a roulette or two. The issue is what I spend those 10hrs on. I want varied content. Would be nice to spend a couple hours on one raid, couple hours on another raid, and then maybe an easier raid for a couple hours.

That's why the time lockout mechanics of FF11 were nice. You were limited to doing raids like Dynamis and Salvage for 3hrs every 3-4 days.

You are not getting this with the type of game this is though. This game is not 11 and it will never be like it with how it does content. No mmo with a gear treadmill keeps older content relavent and that's not about to change here.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'd say in terms of mechanics WoW felt more fun to me, enough so to keep the game interesting without a huge focus on story. 2.0s story was pretty lackluster IMO and if that was all the game had going for it I'd have probably quit.

HW's story is hella good though.

iammeiam

I'm 100% sure I could find a hat that looks just like Amon's. They've been making hats for too damn long for their not to be a dupe.

But not at the levels of graphical fidelity I require!

Also I have yet to forgive them for what they did to Whitemane's Chapeau.

Tabris

You are not getting this with the type of game this is though. This game is not 11 and it will never be like it with how it does content. No mmo with a gear treadmill keeps older content relavent and that's not about to change here.

This isn't true. I can't backup my statement as I've only played FF11 so I'll wait for others who have played other MMO's to respond.

WolvenOne

I feel inclined to point out that you get Law Tomes from three end-game dungeons, not just Neverreap. I also feel inclined to point out that you can get Law Tomes from running Trial Roulette, low level roulette, or via Hunts. If you don't need law Tomes, you can get another class up to sixty, which greatly increases the number of dungeons you could conceivably run.

Insisting, "why would you only want Neverreap," is an intellectually dishonest argument to make, as it is clearly not the only piece of content you can run right now. As for myself, I don't really need Law Tomes right this moment, so I'm only running dungeons to finish the Valerian Terror Knight set, and to level up my Dragoon. I'll go back to doing dailies in a more methodical manor once Esoteric Tomes are available. Until then I'm free to poke around at other content here and there.

Valnen

I'd say in terms of mechanics WoW felt more fun to me, enough so to keep the game interesting without a huge focus on story. 2.0s story was pretty lackluster IMO and if that was all the game had going for it I'd have probably quit.

HW's story is hella good though.

2.0's story had plenty of great moments.

scy

I am very much entertained that the most elitist attitudes in the thread are from the story people.

we're through the looking glass or something here

Sorian

Banned
"But timewalking in WoW is so fun guys". Ya running the same old dungeons that I ran countless times in the past is really the greatest thing ever.

Options are better than no options. I shouldn't even have to type that out, it should be inherently obvious. The second half of your post is also hilarious when you realize that you are arguing against someone who complained that they are bored of running neverreap because they ran it so many times in the past.

WolvenOne

I will say this, it's a shame that you don't get Law Tomes from 2.X lvl50 dungeon roulette. Aside from that I'm not certain what people expect out of old dungeons and raids. While it'd be nice if they gave people additional incentive to go back and do them, it feels like there's a practical limit to what they can offer before it either becomes clumsy or obnoxious.

Besides, be careful what you wish for. You might have to farm lvl50 dungeons and coil to get your Relic. <_<;;

I am very much entertained that the most elitist attitudes in the thread are from the story people.

tumblr_liiqvagQSQ1qgen3ao1_1280.gif

Kenai

"But timewalking in WoW is so fun guys". Ya running the same old dungeons that I ran countless times in the past is really the greatest thing ever.

To be fair, until they nerfed it there was good money in running older raids. And they added a lot of mounts and vanity pets. That game has like...200? months and close to 1000 different pets at this point, only a fraction of which are pay-to-get.

That being said, you run older raids in WoW for largely the same reason you do here (vanity stuff, or rep for vendor vanity stuff).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
2.0's story had plenty of great moments.
It did have its moments but overall it felt pretty lackluster and there seemed to be little character development. It wasn't until the later patches where things started to get more interesting to me.

Sorian

Banned
I will say this, it's a shame that you don't get Law Tomes from 2.X lvl50 dungeon roulette. Aside from that I'm not certain what people expect out of old dungeons and raids. While it'd be nice if they gave people additional incentive to go back and do them, it feels like there's a practical limit to what they can offer.

Besides, be careful what you wish for. You might have to farm lvl50 dungeons and coil to get your Relic. <_<;;

I would gladly accept the bolded.

Choosing a random coil of bahamut each week and making it so that completing all turns from that coil would fulfill requirements for a weekly quest that gave a big chunk of esoterics and law would help more than people think.

Except Turn 3, that's the red headed step child that no one likes

iammeiam

I am somewhat relieved to know I fly into kneejerk sarcasm at pretty much all forms of elitism, though. I am equal-opportunity in my bitterness and rage.

scy

It does make me feel less special, though.

I would gladly accept the bolded.

Choosing a random coil of bahamut each week and making it so that completing all turns from that coil would fulfill requirements for a weekly quest that gave a big chunk of esoterics and law would help more than people think.

Except Turn 3, that's the red headed step child that no one likes

Seriously don't know why we don't have random weird daily or weekly things like this for bonus tomes or hunt seals or whatever? Just seems like an obvious way to reuse stuff.

Sorian

Banned
It does make me feel less special, though.

You'll always be Angary's first.

Seriously don't know why we don't have random weird daily or weekly things like this for bonus tomes or hunt seals or whatever? Just seems like an obvious way to reuse stuff.

Yup, it really would make it feel like there is more to do (there wouldn't be) but the important part is that it feels like there is.

WolvenOne

Much of the 2.0 story is dedicated to establishing the setting and situation to new players. The story picks up a bit near the end, but is fairly laid back for the most part. The story indeed gets more involved in the 2.1-2.55 story quests, but this can in part be attributed to having a bit more freedom to actually tell a story seeing as the setting and basic situation has been established. Interestingly, 3.0 spends a lot of time establishing the situation as well, but doesn't have many of the same issues 2.0 had. I think this is because the situation is older in Heavensward, so detailing it feels a lot like uncovering some sort of mystery.

Now, all this aside, I can in part understand people not being interested in the story. My issue is that I want to continue to enjoy the story myself, and a part of me fears the game structure certain people are proposing would make telling a good story more difficult. I would very much be interested in seeing some sort of compromise that allowed people to catch up more quickly, without potentially disrupting the developers ability to tell a good story.

Erekiddo

Hit WHM60, finished the main scenario from Heavensward. Had to cheese my way to get into the last trial.

My minimum item level is 140 but needed 142. I equipped something high level that didn't boost my particular classes stats I needed, got in, and changed it back once in.

I plan on taking a small break.

I want to get my equipment levels up higher, but really have no idea where to begin. There's so much good gear sold at Idyllshire that I can't even remotely touch.

suzu

Uhhh WoW's stories are actually pretty decent though. I like FF14's story, but there's nothing wrong with skipping cutscenes or only caring about the gameplay.

Top Bottom