• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Azzurri

Oh man.....can anyone familiar with the FFXI version tell me if the PS2 version is still supported and are there any active PS2 players that anyone knows of?

They stopped supporting PS2 in the US and EU a but ago, but I think it's still supported in Japan, or they just currently stopped it. But the game is going to end or be put into maitenence mode by November

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So Yoshi basically said content will be handled the same way from 3.0 to 4.0 to 5.0, except increase the time to expansions.

So no chance at 2 or more concurrent active raids or endgame content. One at a time.

Disappointing. I'll be interested to see how Alex Savage goes. I know it'll take a while in terms of progression, but how long to be tired. Luckily the mechanics look like they will be fun in a savage mode, but the look and feel of that content is so boring and non-epic. Plus no new story to get after beating that content anymore.

It's almost a step backwards.

I guess this game won't regress into FFXI afterall. Who would have guessed?

Adaren

I'm not super well versed in WoW, but what fanbase was it catering to? I always assumed WoW was pretty welcoming and easy to get into, while hosting a variety of different scaled content. Sure, it likely didn't launch that way, but that's the outsider impression I have of the game now.

Vanilla WoW focused on roleplaying, immersion, exploration, and world building. It was bare bones in terms of social or group finding aspects, largely leaving players to form their own customs for those. It emphasized building a world and eschewed "game-y" mechanics or structures.

By comparison, modern WoW (and FFXIV) are much more focused on gameplay and action. Fights require more execution, and more abilities (almost all of them in FFXIV, as far as I know) are designed exclusively for combat (as opposed to, say, conjuring bread to give to other players, or providing situational buffs such as water walking). There are social systems in place to help players easily find groups with one another. Loot is gained much more quickly, and with more a more rigid progression system.

Tabris

I guess this game won't regress into FFXI afterall. Who would have guessed?

Ignore your anti-FF11 stance for a moment and answer me this - So you're happy with one raid or one primal at a time forever? You never get bored of re-running the same content over and over during a patch cycle until the new content is released, then repeating?

So you enjoyed doing Nevereap 10+ times over this patch?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It's still supported in Japan.
They stopped supporting PS2 in the US and EU a but ago, but I think it's still supported in Japan, or they just currently stopped it.

Ah FFS damm you Japan and your inadequate Console Adaption Rate! I'm hoping that at the very least by the time 6.0 drops we are no longer bound by the PS3 version.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Ignore your anti-FF11 stance for a moment and answer me this - So you're happy with one raid or one primal at a time forever? You never get bored of re-running the same content over and over during a patch cycle until the new content is released, then repeating?

I am fine with that cycle since I don't have or want the time to spend 10+ hours a day in the game. If I get bored I go do something else and come back when new content comes out.

FFXIV is far from the only form of entertainment vying for my time.

Tabris

I am fine with that cycle since I don't have or want the time to spend 10+ hours a day in the game. If I get bored I go do something else and come back when new content comes out.

Yup, and I only play about 10hrs a week except during patch releases. That doesn't change my point, because it's how you spend the 10hrs.

Answer my question - Were you fine with running Nevereap 10+ times over? Why would you not want something different.

dramatis

Hi guys~ I'm enjoying my PS3 version very much~

suRKeL5.jpg

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Yup, and I only play about 10hrs a week except during patch releases. That doesn't change my point, because it's how you spend the 10hrs.

Answer my question - Were you fine with running Nevereap 10+ times over? Why would you not want something different.

I hit i180 last night and have not ran Neverreap 10+ times. I don't know why you are in there so much. No reason to keep doing it once you get your law tomes. The only thing I will be repeating is the weekly Alexander and farming Ravana for my weapon. I truly don't mind farming those fights to round out my gear.

JudgeN

I wouldn't really use neverreap as an example as you can do fractal or research facility for law. No no the issue is if your not leveling another job your left with Ravana Ex and Alexander runs.

For the past 5 days ive done nothing but run Ravana Ex trying to find a group that wasn't fail. It was the most mind numbing shit ever, till last night when i get a group that could farm 6-7 wins without fail. Now i'm do Alexander runs till get a drop and log out for the rest of the week.

Arkeband

Banned

"Other games exist" is a pretty weak argument for basically anything.

docbon

lol no, Wildstar failed because it tried to cater to the hardcore market that can no longer hold up an MMO on its own. FFXIV is not Vanilla WoW. Vanilla WoW was catering to a completely different fan base.

Pretty much.

Getting to the point where you could raid was both difficult, and tedious as fuck. Combine that with 2004 era questing and a ho-hum story and you had a population so niche it couldn't actually fill rosters for 20/40 man raids without south africa-tier guild poaching going on.

edit: I still remember trying to beat that 75 minute timer on Sword Maiden without having any deaths in the party. There were just so many ways to get fucked by mechanics in that dungeon. ;~;

Sorian

Banned
EDIT - Like for example, wiping on T13 wasn't as bad sometimes because I could at least hum the song. All the explosions looked awesome. Arena looked cool. Plus trying to get that clear to see the story was a bit extra motivation.

To be fair, A4 has a lot of explosions :p

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
"Other games exist" is a pretty weak argument for basically anything.

How so?

If this game had shitloads more content every patch I wouldn't play it. There is no way I would be able to keep up.

I enjoy the casual mode which allows me other experiences outside the FFXIV universe.

Azzurri

A potato could run it better than PS3 could, lol.

I just don't get why people wouldn't want multiple avenues to end game, instead of running 2 instances over and over until your eyes bleed? Am I crazy here?

Tabris

How so?

If this game had shitloads more content every patch I wouldn't play it. There is no way I would be able to keep up.

I enjoy the casual mode which allows me other experiences outside the FFXIV universe.

And you realize others don't right? This game isn't just casual, it's also got a hardcore element. Look at things like relic grind, raiding content, etc. And right now, those elements require grinding the same content over and over without variety until the next patch cycle to repeat ad naseum. So why invalidate my complaints because it's not yours?

And why would more content stop you from playing? You can just do what content you want and leave the rest. Why would anyone not want more of something?

To be fair, A4 has a lot of explosions :p

But they aren't as cool as T13's :)

holdthephone

Neo Member
Well I left 2.0 because that Darklight grind was not enjoyable in any way. Hoping HW is better designed, but hey,I guess I'll just leave again if it's not.

WolvenOne

FF11 came out much earlier in the PS2's lifespan, FF14 came out at the tail end of the PS3's lifespan. Furthermore, PS2 was considered FF11's primary platform for a long time, where-as SquareEnix actually initiated a campaign to move people to the PS4 version of the game almost immediately. While I have no doubt that roughly half of FFXIV players in Japan use consoles, I suspect PS4 users are the majority of that fifty percent, and probably a sizable one at that.

If they weren't, SE wouldn't even idly consider dropping PS3 support for 4.0

Azzurri

FF11 came out much earlier in the PS2's lifespan, FF14 came out at the tail end of the PS3's lifespan. Furthermore, PS2 was considered FF11's primary platform for a long time, where-as SquareEnix actually initiated a campaign to move people to the PS4 version of the game almost immediately. While I have no doubt that roughly half of FFXIV players in Japan use consoles, I suspect PS4 users are the majority of that fifty percent, and probably a sizable one at that.

If they weren't, SE wouldn't even idly consider dropping PS3 support for 4.0

It's why FFXI is unplayable with a K/M combo.

Arkeband

Banned
How so?

It doesn't need to have 'shitloads', but a "roulette" being a binary choice is pretty fucking hilarious and sad if you ask me.

Expert roulettes in 2.1-2.5 had 3 dungeons because they knew limiting people to AK/WP was bad design... so they either ran out of time or decided against it for god knows why.

And 2.0 had at least three primals for us to run up against (Ifrit, Garuda, Titan).

Did you not have time for those? It seems in your post you're saying the way it's set up now gives you plenty of time to play things outside of FFXIV, but if anything were to be added you'd suddenly have too much. Does not compute.

Tabris

Nah, PS3 to PS4 conversion isn't happening at the same rate in Japan due to poor PS4 sales.

Once PS4 sales pick up in Japan (hopefully with the string of console releases by SE over the next 2 years), SE can consider it.

holdthephone

Neo Member
I think in a Final Fantasy game, watching cutscenes is a low bar to set for 'things you're expected to do while you play', but apparently I'm wrong - you keep keeping on, weird contextless game players, I'm sure bringing up in conversations that you wholly omit the story from how you play isn't fishing for reactions.

Eh, I've played every main line FF game and never felt the need to skip scenes -- even in FFI through V when things were a bit more primitive and obnoxious.

FFXIV is just awkward because it's an MMORPG but with solitary confinement esque storytelling. The MSQ progression is wholly less relatable and interesting because of it. It feels like that time in FF12 when you run Vaan to get goods for the barkeep in Rabanastre. You know, a one time thing to get the player acquainted with the mini-map at the start of the game. Things quickly escalate from there.

But in FFXIV, I'm still just an errand boy with a map.No matter how much they shower me as a 'brave adventurer,' (or for however long they call you that before that story gets off the ground), I'm still running back and forth between two corners of Ul'Dah for 30 mins. I know the writing improves greatly eventually, but quest placement and fetching still proves a major deterrent for me.

I rarely am one to skip a narrative, but I just flatly don't enjoy the way MMOs have been trying to implement them lately. SWTOR was even worse.

Arkeband

Banned
Eh, I've played every main line FF game and never felt the need to skip scenes -- even in FFI through V when things were a bit more primitive and obnoxious.

FFXIV is just awkward because it's an MMORPG but with solitary confinement esque storytelling. The MSQ progression is wholly less relatable and interesting because of it. It feels like that time in FF12 when you run Vaan to get goods for the barkeep in Rabanastre. You know, a one time thing to get the player acquainted with the mini-map at the start of the game. Things quickly escalate from there.

But in FFXIV, I'm still just an errand boy with a map.No matter how much they shower me as a 'brave adventurer,' (or for however long they call you that before takes that story gets off the ground), I'm still running back and forth between two corners of Ul'Dah for 30 mins. I know the writing improves greatly eventually, but quest placement and fetching still proves a major deterrent for me.

I rarely am one to skip a narrative, but I just flatly don't enjoy the way MMOs have been trying to implement them lately. SWTOR was even worse.

...okay you're crazy.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
OMG that looks horrible!

I'm SO glad I moved on to the PS4 version and they are even porting over the DX11 improvements to the PS4 version so hooray for me.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
And you realize others don't right? This game isn't just casual, it's also got a hardcore element. Look at things like relic grind, raiding content, etc. And right now, those elements require grinding the same content over and over without variety until the next patch cycle to repeat ad naseum. So why invalidate my complaints because it's not yours?

And why would more content stop you from playing? You can just do what content you want and leave the rest. Why would anyone not want more of something?

But they aren't as cool as T13's :)

I guess this is the reason I didn't do the relic grind. I did do coil back in the day and enjoyed it. But the Korean grinds like the relic never really interested me. Hardcore doesn't necessitate grind imo; just more difficult content.

It doesn't need to have 'shitloads', but a "roulette" being a binary choice is pretty fucking hilarious and sad if you ask me.

Expert roulettes in 2.1-2.5 had 3 dungeons because they knew limiting people to AK/WP was bad design... so they either ran out of time or decided against it for god knows why.

And 2.0 had at least three primals for us to run up against (Ifrit, Garuda, Titan).

Did you not have time for those? It seems in your post you're saying the way it's set up now gives you plenty of time to play things outside of FFXIV, but if anything were to be added you'd suddenly have too much. Does not compute.

I forgive them for having 2 dungeons in roulette because the expansion just came out. The roster there will fill out in short order. I don't feel bad for those that "need" to grind multiple gearsets for multiple jobs from those dungeons as they are making that choice.

What my posts are saying is I want to experience the content FFXIV has to offer, especially in regards to story. If there is so much content that I cannot possibly experience it in the time I have to allocate then the game looses appeal to me as I won't be getting the whole story. I could care less about mindless grinds to keep the Korean grind crowd occupied as long as it doesn't get in the way of the fun stuff.

Omni

On Lamia in New Gridania, there has been an AFK person for at least... two weeks? I dunno when I started playing. But they've been there from the beginning. Level 1. Occasionally different names but same appearance.

Makes me laugh to see people slap and poke them. Just so random

WolvenOne

It's why FFXI is unplayable with a K/M combo.

Honestly, while I cannot speak for FFXI, I rather like how controller controls were implemented in FFXIV. Not counting Crossbar tabbing, I have access to 24 crossbar slots right off the bat, and I could increase that to 32 with only a little more effort. The only practical limit is that the Crossbar you're tabbed two is automatically the easier 16 slots to reach, so most players insist on getting every essential part of their rotation to fit into those sixteen spots.

Even with that limitation though, I'm overall very pleased with controller implementation.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
On Lamia in New Gridania, there has been an AFK person for at least... two weeks? I dunno when I started playing. But they've been there from the beginning. Level 1. Occasionally different names but same appearance.

Makes me laugh to see people slap and poke them. Just so random

Could be a gill spammer. Probably has a bot to get names of people in the area and put them on the list to whisper gil buying spam to.

Teknoman

So Yoshi basically said content will be handled the same way from 3.0 to 4.0 to 5.0, except increase the time to expansions..

He really needs to get the team to throw in some sort of wild card stuff in between. Airship exploration with challenging random battles/mini dungeons or something.

Xion_Stellar

Honestly, while I cannot speak for FFXI, I rather like how controller controls were implemented in FFXIV. Not counting Crossbar tabbing, I have access to 24 crossbar slots right off the bat, and I could increase that to 32 with only a little more effort. The only practical limit is that the Crossbar you're tabbed two is automatically the easier 16 slots to reach, so most players insist on getting every essential part of their rotation to fit into those sixteen spots.

Even with that limitation though, I'm overall very pleased with controller implementation.
I completely agree with this sentiment and I'm glad that Yoshi-P also plays with a controller to ensure that they never do something in the game that would require a K&M.

Teknoman

Aren't they talking about doing just that?

I hope so. Only disappointing part of 3.0 for me has been the airship content so far (which is just air ventures). I want something where 6 of us or whatever can jump on a FC built ship, head to some uncharted randomized sky island with strong bosses and/or environmental challenges, and get some nice gear.

Maybe even throw in a time limit.

King_Moc

Banned

It's great. As a Warrior I have access to every ability I need and still have room for buttons for stuff like mounts, emotes etc. I do have to use a macro button to spam some of my more mundane buffs though. The ones that I need at specific times still have their own button.

Play different games.

Is this all you play? i can understand your position if it is.
The content that exists is enough for people with other shit to do or play

Xion_Stellar

Holy shit...
Why torture yourself?
What is this? I am 1000000% sure Xenosaga 3 looks better than this.

Can you transfer your account from PS3==>PS4?
Accounts are not lock to a specific platforms since all the necessary information is stored on the server. It's just a matter of having a license to access your data from a certain platform. For example on my Account I can play the game on my PS4 or Laptop because I bought the extra license to have access to the PC version.

So yeah you can play with your "PS3 characters" on a PS4 or PC just as long as you bought the extra licenses.

Play different games.

Is this all you play? i can understand your position if it is.
The content that exists is enough for people with other shit to do or play

"But why is it a good thing when there's so little content that it forces me to play something else?" is what I would expect to be said next. There's a reason why so many mmos have help tips on the loading screens and one of the most used ones is "take a break every now and then". As much as they want your money, they don't want you to only play this one game, or even do nothing but play games.

Whether it's 2 endgame dungeons or even 8+ like WoW has at launch, the outcome is still the same. You will be running them all enough to burn yourself out of running them, there is no way that they can add enough dungeons so that it won't happen. "But what if they give some incentive to older dungeons so that there's a reason to do them again?" How will that change things exactly? People have run those just as much, if not more than current dungeons, them having new shinies doesn't somehow make them better.

iammeiam

Games should only ever have exactly as much content as I want of the types I want. Any more is too much and a sign you can't possibly ever do anything else.

WolvenOne

Since starting FFXIV, I've kept up with my offline social life, bicycled a couple thousand miles (Not exaggerating, most summers I bicycle 10+ miles a day,) have mostly kept up gym work, and have still logged in 3000+ hours into this game.

You can most certainly give this game more attention than it observes, while still doing other things. Besides, the expansion just came out, of course there isn't going to be a ton to do at level-cap yet. That'll change soon enough.

Teknoman

There needs to be a hidden primal patched in with no warning. Have a quest that people just run into all of a sudden, having players discover it by accident.

WolvenOne

There needs to be a hidden primal patched in with no warning. Have a quest that people just run into all of a sudden, having players discover it by accident.

Hah! That'd be hilarious! XD

On this note though, my one disappointment here is that we don't have a new, "Relic Reborn Chain" as of yet. Hydra and Chimera were legit fights when they first came out, and it'd be nice to have more level 60 trials, even if they aren't on par with Extreme Primals.

Top Bottom