• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
More content would be nice (for any game) but I simply don't think they can keep it up. They have enough on their plate just designing content for a single progression scheme (Alexander), much less supporting multiple schemes. That and you always have to factor in cost efficiency.

The real question is: How are they reinvesting their profit if not more developers?

fedexpeon

Banned
I'm 100% sure I could find a hat that looks just like Amon's. They've been making hats for too damn long for their not to be a dupe.

It also provides even more people who are shit tier at their class.

How is that a problem? They will be bad either way, leveling from 1-60 doesn't make these players any better. The community pool will always have them. Have you see any change from 1.0 to 3.0 from the playerbase?
This power up won't affect the community at all but provides more incentive for people to continue their sub and additional revenue for better server upgrade.

jorgeton

Hit 60, finished the main scenario from Heavensward. Had to cheese my way to get into the last trial.

My minimum item level is 140 but needed 142. I equipped something high level that didn't boost my particular classes stats I needed, got in, and changed it back once in.

I plan on taking a small break.

I want to get my equipment levels up higher, but really have no idea where to begin. There's so much good gear sold at Idyllshire that I can't even remotely touch.

Daily roulettes give a decent amount of tomes and the equipment prices are half of what they were back in 2.0. You should be able to bump up your ilvl fairly quickly. I just started the grind to ilvl 170 and am almost there after a week of doing dailies.

iammeiam

You'll always be Angary's first.

I mean, if you want to be technical, I think my first FFXIV anti-elitism argument was with Korra in FC chat over whether or not the DF penalty was justified for him bailing a Titan HM roulette he thought was doomed.

I'm saying I've been around.

Tabris

It's not hard to create new content if you re-use assets.

I've used this example before, but take CT+ST+WoD, set it to level 60 mobs, and adjust it for 8-man. Remove the 3 PT level design sections and change it to 2 PT level design sections (1 tank, 1 healer, 2 DPS). It would only require some balancing time, minimal design, and standard QA time.

The issue is that there isn't a reason to run other content because of the simple itemization. That's the big issue with it. Because you already get the latest items from Alex Savage, so why run the CT 2.0 example raid?

So you also need to adjust itemization. But once you do that, you can run concurrent endgame content for people to run. Win-Win.

Erekiddo

Daily roulettes give a decent amount of tomes and the equipment prices are half of what they were back in 2.0. You should be able to bump up your ilvl fairly quickly. I just started the grind to ilvl 170 and am almost there after a week of doing dailies.

I have 2,000 poetics, but the gear sold for those is way underleveled.

Could I be utilizing those in a better way?

jorgeton

It's not hard to create new content if you re-use assets.

I've used this example before, but take CT+ST+WoD, set it to level 60 mobs, and adjust it for 8-man. Remove the 3 PT level design sections and change it to 2 PT level design sections (1 tank, 1 healer, 2 DPS). It would only require some balancing time, minimal design, and standard QA time.

The issue is that there isn't a reason to run other content because of the simple itemization. That's the big issue with it. Because you already get the latest items from Alex Savage, so why run the CT 2.0 example raid?

So you also need to adjust itemization. But once you do that, you can run concurrent endgame content for people to run. Win-Win.

+1 on this. CT is incredibly useless now. It doesn't even give XP or Law tomes. It shouldnt be too difficult to re-balance it so there's a reason to go back in. Would love to see how it plays as an 8-man raid.

I have 2,000 poetics, but the gear sold for those is way underleveled.

Could I be utilizing those in a better way?

The poetics gear is for level 50 characters. Use it for gear for your alt classes when they hit that level. Once you hit 60, most roulettes start handing out Law tomes, which is what you need for the i170 gear.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I hope so. Only disappointing part of 3.0 for me has been the airship content so far (which is just air ventures). I want something where 6 of us or whatever can jump on a FC built ship, head to some uncharted randomized sky island with strong bosses and/or environmental challenges, and get some nice gear.

Maybe even throw in a time limit.
Soon.

How will you use the airship?
Y: There are uncharted areas of the sky map to which you can send your airship to investigate - this will raise the rank of your airship and strengthen it, and possibly bring back some items. In a later update, players themselves will be able to board the airship to go on adventures and discover islands. The content of the airship system and exploring the sky map will be central to the patch 3.X series.

Tell us about its uses other than the sky map from the patch 3.X series.
Y: Players will be able to ride on the airships to explore field areas based on the data they collected when they dispatched the ships.

Will there be islands that you can find that, for example, gatherers can enjoy?
Y: Yes, there will be those kinds of islands, and there will be islands full of NMs you can subdue - we have a lot of ideas in mind.

Will the sky map areas be treated as so-called public fields?
Y: The term "public field" has been met with mixed reception so I'll avoid saying one way or the other, but we believe that we were able to make these encounters both random and surprising.

Can you give an example of something that might happen?
Y: Well, you might go to a site that another free company has already investigated and find them in the midst of struggling against a giant monster (laughs).

As players share their research, it's likely that rare items won't stay rare for long.
Y: We wanted to include some elements of randomness. For example, you might have the parameters of your airship adjusted with the aim of reaching a certain island, but something might happen during your flight which forces you to make an emergency landing on another island (laughs).

So random elements will come into play.
Y: That's right. You'll be able to respond to those random elements with battleships that you can create in a future update. Earlier, we said we wanted to develop things like sky battles... taking your airship to the skies and the activities there is a major theme throughout the patch 3.X series.

Will members from outside the Free Company also be able to ride in the airship?
Y: Of course, players who aren't in the free company will be able to board the airships as "guests" or "mercenaries" to participate in searching the sky islands. We'll also have mechanisms implemented that leverage the party finder to recruit combatants, things like that.

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/125199-Famitsu-PAX-East-Interview-(3-14)-Translation

qwYlUF3.png

scy

I mean, if you want to be technical, I think my first FFXIV anti-elitism argument was with Korra in FC chat over whether or not the DF penalty was justified for him bailing a Titan HM roulette he thought was doomed.

I'm saying I've been around.

!!!

It does make me feel less special, though.

Seriously don't know why we don't have random weird daily or weekly things like this for bonus tomes or hunt seals or whatever? Just seems like an obvious way to reuse stuff.

If they reuse old Coil for a weekly bonus, they should add an effect where those esoteric don't get counted toward the weekly limit. Give people a reason to stay in a DF for t9 or 13

fedexpeon

Banned
Beats me. You might as well be playing literally any other MMO at that point.

This is one thing I hate about the FF14 community.
They always undersell FF14 and tell people that they aren't welcome in the game if other players press ESC on their keyboard.

And in turn, some people will do so because it is true.
FF14 is just another point/click MMO, and the community encourages others to migrate to other MMO instead.

They also do the same with PVP. "Sorry this is Final Fantasy, if you want PVP play another MMO.". Thus discouraging the dev team from continuing their efforts on Frontlines.

Oh shit what have I done? I joined the conversation.

I think I liked it better when you guys were arguing over skipping cutscenes, or maybe it was arguing about ACT and addons.

I don't know if this game is supposed to be fun, or if it's supposed to cater to every special snowflake that plays the game the "right" way.

MogCakes

Am I reading this right? Yoshi is essentially saying 3.X will be like .Hack//. Exploration of uncharted areas parameters sounds a lot like the hub-area design of The World and the area word combos.

I'm going to try and not overexcite myself, brb

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
They also do the same with PVP. "Sorry this is Final Fantasy, if you want PVP play another MMO.". Thus discouraging the dev team from continuing their efforts on Frontlines.

Oh shit what have I done? I joined the conversation.

I think I liked it better when you guys were arguing over skipping cutscenes, or maybe it was arguing about ACT and addons.

I don't know if this game is supposed to be fun, or if it's supposed to cater to every special snowflake that plays the game the "right" way.
Well what else do you expect us to do? Have a civilised conversation about the game's lore,content,activities or systems?

Ha! after the honeymoon is over there's not much to discuss about once the content had some time to sink in.

Ferr986

2.0's story had plenty of great moments.

Can't remember any, honestly.
Even 2.1 to 2.4 was pretty light on the story, until 2.5
and the resolution of the 2.55 events i HW was pretty lame IMO

HW is way better, as everyone said (I still have some problems with it, mainly uninteresting villains, but I'm still level 59 so things may change)..

Haly

I liked the part where Garuda yells "DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE".

I got yandere vibes from that. Definitely my most memorable moment of 2.0's story.

Ferr986

I liked the part where Garuda yells "DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE".

I got yandere vibes from that. Definitely my most memorable moment of 2.0's story.

Funny that she's the one that keeps dying. Primals
and dragons
are like the sackpunches of Eorzea.

Haly

Garuda said:
There is no escape! No hope! NONE!!!
hngh

As much as people like to talk about how great the story is, it's kind of hard to find specific quotes from characters. I had to dig into a youtube video for this one.

Haly

Funny that she's the one that keeps dying. Primals
and dragons
are like the sackpunches of Eorzea.

For every time Garuda died, my party members died 5 times over. So I think she's still ahead on the scoreboard.

Sorian

Banned
So I know we had that talk where you told me you dressed as a cat girl for your fiancé, but do you also dress up as an anime school girl with crazy eyes? or does she? or do you both? @_@

I only dress as a cat girl if she dresses like a dragon girl.

Both.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

MogCakes

What's the average DPS parse on Bismarck EX?

And FWIW, I've enjoyed the entirety of XIV's plot, even if it is cheesy, but then my threshold for enjoyment isn't all that high among RPGs.

Nose Master

Hit WHM60, finished the main scenario from Heavensward. Had to cheese my way to get into the last trial.

My minimum item level is 140 but needed 142. I equipped something high level that didn't boost my particular classes stats I needed, got in, and changed it back once in.

I plan on taking a small break.

I want to get my equipment levels up higher, but really have no idea where to begin. There's so much good gear sold at Idyllshire that I can't even remotely touch.

Sidequests in Idleshurr give you i145 HQ, and they're dumb easy. I'm i142 with random garbage and the gear I've gotten in this place, and I've only been here an hour or so.

iammeiam

There's a vendor in Helix, I believe, that sells i150 left-side gear. Use that to hit i145 and commence the (not that bad, really, for a single job) dungeon and law grind.

Valor

My fisher is like level 54 and my CUL desynth is around 130.

Expect things to pick up when everyone's too busy srs raiding to entertain me and I resume my EB with the sea.

I dunno how you managed to misspell his name. Maybe that's just your accent.

WolvenOne

What's the average DPS parse on Bismarck EX?

And FWIW, I've enjoyed the entirety of XIV's plot, even if it is cheesy, but then my threshold for enjoyment isn't all that high among RPGs.

Not sure, there are lots of little jumps and gaps where there isn't much to attack though, so I think the average for melee classes is a bit low. Probably higher for Summoners and Black Mages though.

Average for good player I've seen is like 700-800 for melees in law gear, and I think Asami on BLM was at like 800-900 in a bunch of the runs we did with 5DPS. Can probably do more though, that's just the DPS I've seen in the few runs I've been, don't think I've grouped with a good summoner either, I would assume they trash everyone else on dmg with dotting both snakes and baning all dots to the 3adds constantly. Bismark has a lot of optimization in terms of how you manage your cooldowns and such, but it also has a ton of downtime and movement. PF average is like 500 though, which is why it's rough to beat in PF.

Top Bottom