• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

WolvenOne

So, what're the chances that the new Relic will have customizable stats on it right out of the box? Really want a Crit Skillspeed Axe. XD

So, what're the chances that the new Relic will have customizable stats on it right out of the box? Really want a Crit Skillspeed Axe. XD

If it does, I hope it's not materia centric and instead just a menu where you select whatever. Maybe an Allagan weapon and the robots in Azys La configure it for you, easy lore reason.

WolvenOne

If it does, I hope it's not materia centric and instead just a menu where you select whatever. Maybe an Allagan weapon and the robots in Azys La configure it for you, easy lore reason.

Or if it is Materia, it doesn't require a piece of Materia for each and every single attribute-point. Considering the secondary stat budget these weapons have, can you imagine how insane that'd get after awhile!?

Using the old system you'd need like, 160 Alexandrite and materia pieces.

Sorian

Banned
It will require a material V for every single stat point. Have fun.

Edit: I believe I have a parry V up on the MB for the low low price of 4 mil.

WolvenOne

Someday they'll make Parry into a somewhat more, "generally useful," stat. They just need to make it have an effect against magic damage. Pls SE. T_T

Edit: Actually what I think I'd probably do for Parry, is to give it a flat (but very minimal,) Magic Damage reduction, while keeping it's effects on parries relatively unchanged. That way it'd be overall useful for Main tanks, but wouldn't be a total waste for off-tanks as well. Right now it seems like taking physical damage is super rare if you aren't in the MT position.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/friend_recruit/

From June 29 huh? I invited 1 friend on January 22 and 2 friends on March 19 so I guess I'm not eligible to get Gold Chocobo Feathers? But if we go off the amount months subscribed 2 of my friends have been subscribed past June 29 do I'm eligible for those ones? Hmmmm I guess I will find out in 2 days.

Tiops

So, the Summoner AF 2.0 will look terrible on my male Miqo'te, só I'm going to Fantasia him into something else. I'm torn between two options (I believe they're GAF's favorites):

1) A female Lalafell
2) A female Au Ra

What do you guys think?

Obs: I'm serious.

aceface

So, the Summoner AF 2.0 will look terrible on my male Miqo'te, só I'm going to Fantasia him into something else. I'm torn between two options (I believe they're GAF's favorites):

1) A female Lalafell
2) A female Au Ra

What do you guys think?

Well if your problem is how your armor looks, why would Lalafel be an option, a potato with a nice dress is still a potato. Au Ra is like eh, whatever, looks dead inside though and kinda rotting outside. Still beats being a potato.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Don't tell me the double flying chocobo is tied to this bs too.
That Screenshot of that Red Drought Chocobo in Cloudtops seems to imply that unfortunately.

1) A female Lalafell
2) A female Au Ra
What do you guys think?

Go with Au Ra we don't need any more midgets running around.

BadRNG

Were the people complaining about crafting even capable of crafting the best things when 3-star items came out, or when 4-star items came out? There has always been separation between the few who could do the highest tier of crafting when stuff is released, and when the rest of the scrubs can do it. I know there are crafters who only have like 2-3 million gil and are still able to get master recipe books and cap out on red scrips. Please continue to not actually craft, it makes things easier for me. When retainers can get the materials required for a lot of different turn-in items, getting scrips is pretty easy.
What you just described was exactly the problem with crafting. Like this is literally what they were trying to change. They wanted casual crafters to be able to make stuff and enjoy the system without having every crafter maxed with full melded sets of gear. Red scrips were supposed to be a way for the casual player to still gear up, to have access to end game crafting (even if at a slower pace) without the massive time/gil sink.

WolvenOne

You always know how to say the right thing.

I could get behind a system that awards tokens based on weekly lockouts, I suppose. It could run into a major issue of inventory space, however. Suddenly I have Gordian Manifestos 1-4, then Alex Normal tokens 1-4, Ravana tokens, Bismarck tokens, and CT3.0 tokens which could amount to 11 inventory slots.

I'm not against token systems, really, but when everything is accessible with minimum effort then nothing has value. That's currently an issue within the game where all of these high level things are accessible to so many people that none of it is very valuable or impressive and it's just a giant landscape of grey. Maybe that's the elitist in me speaking, but I'm not much of a fan of everyone having access to everything if they put in the minimum amounts of effort.

I don't disagree that Story Mode was made for the non-raiders and it's still rather casual unfriendly I suppose but... I dunno. I just don't think the answer to the loot system is tokens. That being said, I don't have a better solution at this time, so maybe I shouldn't whinge about it.

Doubling the number of drops fixes the problem fairly well. If you DF the thing, you have roughly a 50/50 chance of being able to get "something," if you roll on everything. If you're after specific pieces of loot, just throw a PF party together and do 2-3 runs. Chances are 2-3 runs will get everyone the loot they need from a specific floor.

That's actually a lot more casual friendly than WoD was, considering you needed to run it innumerable times if you wanted one specific piece of loot.

Xion_Stellar

Au Ra are midgets though.
OK they are LESS of a midget than those other THINGS running around and that's only if you purposely go for the shortest Au Ra possible.

Jayhawk

What you just described was exactly the problem with crafting. Like this is literally what they were trying to change. They wanted casual crafters to be able to make stuff and enjoy the system without having every crafter maxed with full melded sets of gear. Red scrips were supposed to be a way for the casual player to still gear up, to have access to end game crafting (even if at a slower pace) without the massive time/gil sink.

Define casual crafting. How much time/gil do you think it should take to get red scrips?

You don't need even need fully melded gear sets to get red scrips.
NQ gear from NPCs were good enough to get blue scrips. I was getting blue scrips before I was level 60 on any crafting classes and I was wearing gear from quest rewards or NQs from NPCs.

You can then use blue scrips to get gear that can then be worn to craft things needed for red scrips. You don't need crafted i150 gear to do it, but those items help.

Getting crafting classes experience points is also the easiest it has ever been. They're handing out HQ items for leve and GC turn-ins from quests and NQs are available from NPC vendors. None of the new cross-class abilities 51-60 are essential in rotations. I would argue they've made crafting more casual friendly.

tearsofash

OK they are LESS of a midget than those other THINGS running around and that's only if you purposely go for the shortest Au Ra possible.

I have to be the shortest character possible because in first-person mode it really feels like you are tiny. As a six footish (1.9m) person, it lets me roleplay being very short.

However, I don't want to be childlike. That's just wrong..

Define casual crafting. How much time/gil do you think it should take to get red scrips?

NQ gear from NPCs were good enough to get blue scrips. I was getting blue scrips before I was level 60 on any crafting classes and I was wearing gear from quest rewards or NQs from NPCs.

You can then use blue scrips to get gear that can then be worn to craft things needed for red scrips. You don't need crafted i150 gear to do it, but those items help.

Getting crafting classes experience points is also the easiest it has ever been. They're handing out HQ items for leve and GC turn-ins from quests and NQs are available from NPC vendors. None of the new cross-class abilities 51-60 are essential in rotations. I would argue they've made crafting more casual friendly.

They're nerfing red scrips anyway. I think it's easy to cap, but it takes quite a bunch of ressources, and for gathering quite a bit of time. Overall, I don't think it's any worse than running exdr for a few days and alex savage, but I guess the thing is it tends to be on top of these rather than as a true alternative, so making it shorter to cap scrips for the week makes sense.

I think the issue is more how long everything takes, rather than the difficulty. Collectables crafting is like super easy, since you don't need actual HQ, stuff is considered collectable at like 10% chance to HQ or whatever. That and they sure didn't make crafts equal when it comes to getting red scrips. If you're casual and only leveled one craft to 60 and decided to pick BSM or ARM, you're pretty much fucked for red scrips since everything uses like 3 adamantites. Not a problem if you're omnicrafting since you can just wait for an easy recipe to be starred. That part's not too casual friendly I guess.

Jayhawk

They're nerfing red scrips anyway. I think it's easy to cap, but it takes quite a bunch of ressources, and for gathering quite a bit of time. Overall, I don't think it's any worse than running exdr for a few days and alex savage, but I guess the thing is it tends to be on top of these rather than as a true alternative, so making it shorter to cap scrips for the week makes sense.

I think the issue is more how long everything takes, rather than the difficulty. Collectables crafting is like super easy, since you don't need actual HQ, stuff is considered collectable at like 10% chance to HQ or whatever. That and they sure didn't make crafts equal when it comes to getting red scrips. If you're casual and only leveled one craft to 60 and decided to pick BSM or ARM, you're pretty much fucked for red scrips since everything uses like 3 adamantites. Not a problem if you're omnicrafting since you can just wait for an easy recipe to be starred. That part's not too casual friendly I guess.

Yeah, the time consumption part could be adjusted and I'm fine with. Favors take way too long.

The hypothetical situation where somebody only picked BSM or ARM to 60 without having a means of obtaining large amounts of titanium ores and adamantite ores seems silly to me. What exactly is that person hoping to make by picking that class and not hoarding what that class uses?

Sorian

Banned
In the end, we are all the same.

Casual vs. hardcore crafting discussions play out exactly the same as casual vs. hardcore PvE discussions.

WolvenOne

I can't comment on Crafting Scrips. On the gathering scrips front, it'd be nice to have access to more nodes that give scrips, but I can probably solve that problem by getting a Botanist up to sixty.

.....another grind. OTL

Sorian

Banned
Gathering red scrips are easy. I have access to one node at the moment and it didn't take long at all. Add in an additional node per class if you get some really good gear going and both fishing and botany and that's simple.

WolvenOne

Gathering red scrips are easy. I have access to one node at the moment and it didn't take long at all. Add in an additional node per class if you get some really good gear going and both fishing and botany and that's simple.

Of course, I just haven't gotten my other two crafters to fifty yet, let alone sixty. Would be an easy fix, except I've been really busy raiding this past week. Hopefully things ease up a bit on that front soon. My raid leader might be a bit less thirsty once we have S-A1 on farm.

Fact of the matter is that I need those two classes at sixty anyway. I'm essentially tasked with keeping my raid group stocked on Strength Pots and some food materials, and I need to be able to do that without spending 100-200K every day.

Sorian

Banned
Of course, I just haven't gotten my other two crafters to fifty yet, let alone sixty. Would be an easy fix, except I've been really busy raiding this past week. Hopefully things ease up a bit on that front soon. My raid leader might be a bit less thirsty once we have S-A1 on farm.

Fact of the matter is that I need those two classes at fifty anyway. I'm essentially tasked with keeping my raid group stocked on Strength Pots and some food materials, and I need to be able to do that without spending 100-200K every day.

I guess my point is that the gathering red scrips were designed with someone only having one gathering class in mind (with it becoming much easier with more) but the crafting red scrips seem like they were designed for multiple crafting classes in mind. I can argue why that makes sense because of how crafting classes synchronize together while gathering classes are each their own beast but meh.

Jayhawk

I'm essentially tasked with keeping my raid group stocked on Strength Pots and some food materials, and I need to be able to do that without spending 100-200K every day.

Did you willingly volunteer for this role? You make it seem like the other people using STR pots are not making contributions. If spending time on this task is limiting you from enjoying other parts of the game that you, maybe you should complain to your raid group?

docbon

1) A female Lalafell
2) A female Au Ra

What do you guys think?

lalafells are for cool people.

au ras are for slimy weeaboos and otaku filth.

the answer is clear.

Tabris

lalafells are for cool people.

au ras are for slimy weeaboos and otaku filth.

the answer is clear.

You're all one in the same. You're all weeaboos and otaku filth.

Normal people play Hyur characters of the same gender as themselves IRL because they don't feel the need to "wanna look at a fine ass" when playing :p

BadRNG

You want exact numbers? I can't give them. But considering these are supposed to be like the battle classes tomes, the disparity is pretty clear.

I know you don't need melds, or very good gear, it's just the amount of time and gil for materials needed is a bit too high for many people. It's not a big deal for me because I can just wait till a cheap recipe, but not everyone has every crafter at 60 and can afford to do that. The scrip/material cost is just completely out of whack. Even on blue scrips, most people just use a handful of potential turn ins because the costs are so imbalanced. I got the majority of my blue scrips from either marron glace or dragon earrings while grinding out the master books.

You keep looking at this like it's 2.0, that the goal should be all crafters leveled and you min/max from there, but that's the exact sort of thing they (claimed) to want to move away from. It is definitely easier to enter the grind right now, but it's still quite the grind, and instead of omni crafting becoming unnecessary it's still just as important as ever. Even ignoring cross class skills, the disparity in scrip rewards between different turn ins is pretty bad.

WolvenOne

Did you willingly volunteer for this role? You make it seem like the other people using STR pots are not making contributions. If spending time on this task is limiting you from enjoying other parts of the game that you, maybe you should complain to your raid group?

Yes and no. I volunteered, but I wasn't under the impression that I was going to be supplying all the materials myself, for every member of my party that used STR as a main stat.

Really don't want to sound too upset here, but it is something that's probably going to need to change soon. In the long term, after I've had time to level up the rest of my gathering classes I can probably do this just fine. That probably isn't going to happen until after the raid schedule has eased up somewhat though.

BadRNG

Yes and no. I volunteered, but I wasn't under the impression that I was going to be supplying all the materials myself, for every member of my party that used STR as a main stat.

Really don't want to sound too upset here, but it is something that's probably going to need to change soon. In the long term, after I've had time to level up the rest of my gathering classes I can probably do this just fine. That probably isn't going to happen until after the raid schedule has eased up somewhat though.
You should be upset. It's bullshit they expect you to both craft and supply all the materials for rest of the group. Tell them to start providing mats or to start buying their own damn potions.

I make food/potions for a few people in my group, but they all supply some (at least the expensive) materials if they want anything made. I'll usually cover cheaper stuff like vendor materials, certain cheap node spawns, etc. But everyone chips in somehow, some even give extra materials to be used for other people's stuff as well.

Asking for a single guy to be responsible for rest of group is just ridiculously selfish. You are being used, and you should talk to your group about it.

Tabris

Ready for more? My lizard girls need to have pale syphilis not the blue kind and midlanders are better than highlanders.

Well that's obvious. I designed my highlander to look as close to a midlander as possible though. I wanted that extra STR and VIT!

Tabris

The next stage to PLD development (65 or 70) needs to have the following:

1) A "Cannot be interrupted" cooldown move
2) An AOE cure

Sorian

Banned

2) An AOE cure

1) Yes

2) No

I do agree that you guys need a group utility though. I'm amazed that PLD doesn't have something on a three minute CD that does basically the exact same as a tank LB1 (smaller range though). I don't think a group heal is the right kind of utility for a tank.

Tabris

1) Yes

2) No

I do agree that you guys need a group utility though. I'm amazed that PLD doesn't have something on a three minute CD that does basically the exact same as a tank LB1 (smaller range though). I don't think a group heal is the right kind of utility for a tank.

Well that's only worth while for things like gigaflare. And if you make it where it's required to survive a move like gigaflare in progression, then that invalidates WAR/DRK combinations, and if it's not required, what's the point since healers are needing to cast the small spells either way like a Medica 2. 1k extra damage to everyone isn't going to change what healers are casting necessarily.

While an AOE cure is a fantastic utility, especially in situations where maybe healer's aoe cure is out of range of the melee and/ tanks but tank can cover it.

This is sarcasm right.

He's talking about on to all party members.

Jayhawk

You keep looking at this like it's 2.0, that the goal should be all crafters leveled and you min/max from there, but that's the exact sort of thing they (claimed) to want to move away from. It is definitely easier to enter the grind right now, but it's still quite the grind, and instead of omni crafting becoming unnecessary it's still just as important as ever. Even ignoring cross class skills, the disparity in scrip rewards between different turn ins is pretty bad.

I never said that the goal is all crafters should be leveled and min/max from there. Omnicrafting might seem important if you're going to min/max for scrip turn ins. I don't remember their claims coming into the patch indicating that omnicrafting would not have its advantages. Just because it has advantages does not make it necessary.

If somebody is going to be WVR only, I would expect that person to regularly hoard materials for chimerical felts and crawler silks. Same for BSM/ARM-only and adamantite ores and titanium ores.

Sure, they could adjust scrip rewards based on the difficulty of obtaining crafting materials for turn ins but they shouldn't make every crafting class the same in terms of how materials are obtained and their rarity. Having a mixture of gathering nodes that are always up, rarely up, and crafting materials that are dropped from mobs, and other sources is good for the economy.

Sorian

Banned
This is sarcasm right.

No? Should it be?

Well that's only worth while for things like gigaflare. And if you make it where it's required to survive a move like gigaflare in progression, then that invalidates WAR/DRK combinations, and if it's not required, what's the point since healers are needing to cast the small spells either way like a Medica 2. 1k extra damage to everyone isn't going to change what healers are casting necessarily.

While an AOE cure is a fantastic utility, especially in situations where maybe healer's aoe cure is out of range of the melee and/ tanks but tank can cover it.

No, they don't need to build another mechanic that requires a certain class and that's not really what I'm getting at. It would just be another defensive oh shit button which is basically what the entire PLD class is. A sacred soil should have been there but it wasn't, use this buff instead. Or for better groups, don't bother wasting the aetherflow stack on sacred soil this time, I'll guard it with X and that stack can go towards something else.

Clemency is great and makes a lot more sense once I saw that if you throw a heal on someone else, half of that heals you too, that makes sense. Just giving a PLD a group heal though, doesn't make much sense from a design standpoint of a tank.

Tabris

Actually, a shield similar to the AST one where it goes from the tank would be awesome. Then the SCH can sacred soil the ranged PT and tank can handle tanks and melees.

Sorian

Banned
Actually, a shield similar to the AST one where it goes from the tank would be awesome. Then the SCH can sacred soil the ranged PT and tank can handle tanks and melees.

This is true too, my mind is too set on these big moves where everyone has to bunch together (giga/terra flare, robots landing in A1, that move A4 will do after each leg dies, etc.) because the game forces those into every fight. But there are times where it would be helpful to shield the whole group while still leaving them separated.

Sans the tank, that's what Divine Veil does?

Hah, why yes, yes it is. I haven't actually learned everyone's new moves yet, I don't think I realized this move was coming from the tank.

BadRNG

Make enhanced awareness prevent interrupts. Don't need to waste an entire new skill slot for it, and it would make awareness far more useful than it is now.

I never said that the goal is all crafters should be leveled and min/max from there. Omnicrafting might seem important if you're going to min/max for scrip turn ins. I don't remember their claims coming into the patch indicating that omnicrafting would not have its advantages. Just because it has advantages does not make it necessary.

If somebody is going to be WVR only, I would expect that person to regularly hoard materials for chimerical felts and crawler silks. Same for BSM/ARM-only and adamantite ores and titanium ores.

Sure, they could adjust scrip rewards based on the difficulty of obtaining crafting materials for turn ins but they shouldn't make every crafting class the same in terms of how materials are obtained and their rarity. Having a mixture of gathering nodes that are always up, rarely up, and crafting materials that are dropped from mobs, and other sources is good for the economy.
When the advantage is massive enough it starts to feel, to the player, that it is necessary. You could get artisan's weapons/helm without having any other crafters at 50
(or even 15), it would of just been a massive pain, and most people wouldn't seriously suggest it as an option.

That's a poor argument and you know it, opportunity cost is a thing. One person spending a million gil's worth of materials for the same reward as the guy that spent a few hundred thousand worth is broken. "Hoard more materials!" is just completely missing the point.

I never said all materials should be obtained the same way so I'm not sure where that is coming from, but yes, they should adjust the scrip rewards based on the material difficulty. If they want to make adamantite stuff to be more expensive to make than any other comparable crafting material, fine, but you should be rewarded for that expense.

Top Bottom