• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Tabris

I just realized I never watched the Heavenward CG movie. I just assumed it was the same as the trailers and/oor the same as the opening movie when he walks through the snow with Alphinaud.

Wow, Rauhbahn looks so awesome in that movie.

jiggles

Banned
If I'm a lvl 43 Dragoon and I've put, say, 4 or 5 of my attribute points in to Vitality to help me out a little before I could teach my Chocobo to heal me, is it worthwhile collecting the 10k company seals to reset now, or should I leave it to much later?

Kenai

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3es8k4/sch_esoterics_purchase_order/

Any thoughts about this? I'm in the exact position as this SCH and I'm not excited AT ALL for losing all my crit on the esoteric book a week from now.

I did hear that WD is of less value than it used to be, and in theory, by the time AF2 is filled up and then weapon is focused on, that may fit in nicely with Relic weapon release timing. Not to mention the extra survivability from body and higher crit chance of Adlo for soaking dmg. Can get a right side piece faster too.

But there are downsides. The weapon will definitely boost your DoT damage and boost overall heal effectiveness. We also dunno anything about how to acquire the relic weapon. Could be fairly grindy, a lot of stuff is right now regarding endgame gear. Although in that case i guess it would roughly align with getting Eso anyway so you'd know if you can focus on Eso for an alt or something instead.

I don't think there's an absolute right or wrong answer here until stat weights are better understood but a disparity *has* been noted from ARR base. As AST I'm personally going after AF2 choice pieces followed by ring, get some bang for my buck for SCH that way too. We are in a similar boat regarding Hive vs Eso weapon secondaries.

If I'm a lvl 43 Dragoon and I've put, say, 4 or 5 of my attribute points in to Vitality to help me out a little before I could teach my Chocobo to heal me, is it worthwhile collecting the 10k company seals to reset now, or should I leave it to much later?

Pretty sure Keeper's Hymn is like 250 seals or something now?

Tash

Aww man, this whole SCH gearing discussions did not really help. Still in the "whatever you want" boat I guess..

Now I am tempted to get the body first and indeed try to just push for the Ravana weapon. Granted PF "farm" groups that actually clear are hard to find on Phoenix :/ But since my FC needs upgrades for everyone anyway I might as well suck it up and get my Hive Codex.

That means I can get the Chest this week and hat next week..with Codex hopefully following soon, too.

BadRNG

Just saw this post on the JPN side of the official forums. It says that they have heard all the feedback regarding how difficult/time consuming it is to get red scrips and they plan to adjust this in a hot fix next week.

Please be excited.
I know I am, still haven't touched that stuff

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I just got the game when Heavensward released, beat the story and now I'm trying to get geared up.

Dungeon running getting Law gear and gathering up Esoteric TS for the longer haul.

Are there any plans to bring Zodiac gear up to current standards? Just got my first Zodiac book and I guess I'll continue for the sake of glamour, but wouldn't mind having something useful at the end.

Also, seems I'm completely screwed out of housing. Even if I could afford the prices some folks mention (I cannot), there's not a single plot left on my server. Considering how vital housing is for Airships, I feel screwed over as a new player.

Also, seems I'm completely screwed out of housing. Even if I could afford the prices some folks mention (I cannot), there's not a single plot left on my server. Considering how vital housing is for Airships, I feel screwed over as a new player.

Currently the only way to get an airship is to be in a fc and be a rank that can do anything with it, there are no personal airships yet (or ever).

Are there any plans to bring Zodiac gear up to current standards? Just got my first Zodiac book and I guess I'll continue for the sake of glamour, but wouldn't mind having something useful at the end.

The zodiac weapons are for nothing more than vanity now. There will be new weapons, with a new questline, in 3.1.

Ob Balmung I learned extremely early that I would not be able to afford the prices people wanted for housing so I just bought a room in my FC and realized this room is fine for me.

aceface

Now that they increased the Alex drops it's also faster to get the chest.

Keep in mind it's not going to be faster in terms of weeks to get the chest from Alex normal since you're still locked in to one item a week from each level. With 4 drops, it just means less runs with a farm party. And to that I say holy hell thank god, alex normal farming was killing me.

I'm leaning towards body this week for SCH and hat next week instead of book maybe because that hat is super awesome and I need it.

Sorian

Banned
I just realized I never watched the Heavenward CG movie. I just assumed it was the same as the trailers and/oor the same as the opening movie when he walks through the snow with Alphinaud.

Wow, Rauhbahn looks so awesome in that movie.

Raubahn somehow aged 3000 years during the break between 2.55 and 3.0 according to that video.

iammeiam

Aww man, this whole SCH gearing discussions did not really help. Still in the "whatever you want" boat I guess..

This is the secret answer to... Like... Ninety five percent of the game. Stressing about gear for bleeding edge is fine, but it doesn't really matter that much 90% of the time. there's the strict numbers answer for what you should do (fuzzy because stat weights are still uncertain, but probably book maybe), and then the "what feels right" answer. Ultimately what you do with the gear is considerably more important than the gear and stats itself, and unless you're planning to push A3S in the very near term your gear isn't going to prevent you from doing anything.

So yeah, do whatever you want.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Currently the only way to get an airship is to be in a fc and be a rank that can do anything with it, there are no personal airships yet (or ever).
A few friends and I have a small FC we set up when we started. We unlocked housing privileges the other day and I was looking forward to setting up Chocobo stables and eventually unlocking airship facilities.

Picked up a few pieces of housing stuff too that is pretty much useless with a place to put them.

The zodiac weapons are for nothing more than vanity now. There will be new weapons, with a new questline, in 3.1.

That's fantastic. I really like the Zodiac system though and the skin unlock at the end so I'll stick with it until 3.1 hits at the least.

There's so much content in the game, it's pretty insane, even after blasting through 2.0 to 3.05 in about 5 weeks. Coming from GW2 and it's insanely barebones end game content and lack of a deep skill and class system and lack of set player roles, this game has been jaw dropping.

I've never played a tank role properly but it's pretty fulfilling, if a little tough to learn and players always expecting you to be top form. A great learning experience for a scrub like myself.

klee123

Haven't played FF14 since March and have missed out on Heavensward.

Last I remember was that I was still trying to beat T12.

Just curious, but how's the new hardcore raid? I think it's called Alexander correct?

aceface

This is the secret answer to... Like... Ninety five percent of the game. Stressing about gear for bleeding edge is fine, but it doesn't really matter that much 90% of the time. there's the strict numbers answer for what you should do (fuzzy because stat weights are still uncertain, but probably book maybe), and then the "what feels right" answer. Ultimately what you do with the gear is considerably more important than the gear and stats itself, and unless you're planning to push A3S in the very near term your gear isn't going to prevent you from doing anything.

So yeah, do whatever you want.

So what you're saying is, get the awesome hat.

ebil

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/3es8k4/sch_esoterics_purchase_order/

Any thoughts about this? I'm in the exact position as this SCH and I'm not excited AT ALL for losing all my crit on the esoteric book a week from now.
Same here. I kind of gave up on AST for the time being so I'm gearing up SCH for progression.

I'm currently running some tests (with AST, not SCH because I only have Hive Codex and I'm not too keen on purchasing the Law book for testing purposes), and so far it's not looking good for Elements. Crit seems to be a significantly larger upgrade per point than Determination and Spell Speed as well, both in terms of DPS and HPS. Keep in mind this is with AST, so it's going to be an even better stat for SCH who benefits from Crit Adlo and Enhanced Pet Actions.

Elements will be a definitive improvement over Law Weapon but Hive + Body piece is a tougher choice.

I'm leaning towards body piece but I'm waiting for more data and feedback from other people. I'll probably have Elements before clearing A4s anyway so it's just a matter of "what are you buying first?" for now.

iammeiam

A3 savage cleared by Elysium. Asami is thiiiis close to lalafell. :D

USA! USA!

This is good motivation to try to get into A3S this week to just see it while it's still obscenely difficult, since apparently a single week of drops makes a huge difference and next week is weapons (aka RIP Faust, you had a good run.)

(It will probably still be totally nuts with weapons, but.)

Jayhawk

Ew. I was hoping for that Synergy group.

txmndrac4yk19ua7tm8cpw22.500x441x1.jpg

Poor Kagari

scy

Keep in mind it's not going to be faster in terms of weeks to get the chest from Alex normal since you're still locked in to one item a week from each level. With 4 drops, it just means less runs with a farm party. And to that I say holy hell thank god, alex normal farming was killing me.

Seems like it's not a straight +2 drop things and simply one of each item and then one extra. Unsure if better or worse than the possibility of 4 of one drop.

USA! USA!

This is good motivation to try to get into A3S this week to just see it while it's still obscenely difficult, since apparently a single week of drops makes a huge difference and next week is weapons (aka RIP Faust, you had a good run.)

Since Lucrezia / Elysium were hush hush on everything, their progress was kind of this blank zone. Apparently they had ~1% wipes leading up to maintenance so it was just get new A1S/A2S drops (that actually add DPS) and get the clear.

so when do A4S "what the fuck" and "very hard alexander" tweets go out

Sorian

Banned
Seems like it's not a straight +2 drop things and simply one of each item and then one extra. Unsure if better or worse than the possibility of 4 of one drop.

Since Lucrezia / Elysium were hush hush on everything, their progress was kind of this blank zone. Apparently they had ~1% wipes leading up to maintenance so it was just get new A1S/A2S drops (that actually add DPS) and get the clear.

so when do A4S "what the fuck" and "very hard alexander" tweets go out

Can I at least expect Lucrezia clear within the next hour so that we are on even footing again?

With my luck they got all drops that were unrelated to their main classes

Jayhawk

Hmm, after crunching out some numbers using Dervy's latest stat weights as a base, Hive Weapon+Esoterics Body+Esoterics Head comes out approximately 3-4 STR worse than Esoterics Weapon+Alex Normal Head+Upgraded Law Body for Monk. The difference will probably smaller since determination and critical hit rate should be adjusted for the amount of auto-attacks Monks put out and the Bootshines changing weight of crit.

Not as big a difference as it originally seemed... if getting body first leads to more drops and tokens this week, it would be worth it for some groups.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Just saw this post on the JPN side of the official forums. It says that they have heard all the feedback regarding how difficult/time consuming it is to get red scrips and they plan to adjust this in a hot fix next week.

Please be excited.
I know I am, still haven't touched that stuff

It should have never reached the game in the first place in its current state. Crafting seems to have more problems than just the scrips though so it doesn't really fix much. =/

Also, I love how this new hotfix has borked fishing a bit. Fishing for Collectables now takes up two piece of bait. lol

iammeiam

Translating from Lucrezia/Elysium to mere mortal, though, I'm guessing we'll need the weapon buffs to get anywhere close. Well, my group at least. We spent an entire night with a tank spec'd into DEX. We're not very good at this.

Can I at least expect Lucrezia clear within the next hour so that we are on even footing again?

With my luck they got all drops that were unrelated to their main classes

My favorite part of this whole thing is that I had no horse in the race until you picked Lucrezia.

USA! USA!

Lanrutcon

Like, I honestly don't think it's asking too much to make crafting

a) Not suck
b) Not ball bustingly grind intensive

Like, put on some soothing music, grab a calming glass of wine and stop fucking up crafting. Not rocket science.

Sorian

Banned
Translating from Lucrezia/Elysium to mere mortal, though, I'm guessing we'll need the weapon buffs to get anywhere close. Well, my group at least. We spent an entire night with a tank spec'd into DEX. We're not very good at this.

My favorite part of this whole thing is that I had no horse in the race until you picked Lucrezia.

USA! USA!

Them block rates.

I brought up a fantasia bet as a joke, I didn't think it would roll into a real thing. Who wants my gil? I'm probably going to have to delete my character.

Apparently they had a .5% wipe last reset, so I guess gear wasn't really a problem. People saying they didn't even do alex NM before clearing it this week.

So I can see 4 of the items we don't need drop instead of 2 each time. The fix should have been 3 drops, one of each possible item. If they did 4, it should be one of each possible mat + another random one. But that was never going to happen.

Yeah............. that's not how mmos work.....

iammeiam

So I can see 4 of the items we don't need drop instead of 2 each time. The fix should have been 3 drops, one of each possible item. If they did 4, it should be one of each possible mat + another random one. But that was never going to happen.

That's exactly how it is reported to work, though.

They basically fixed up the loot system to work super great for statics. It's still bizarrely causal unfriendly for the causal raid.

That's exactly how it is reported to work, though.

They basically fixed up the loot system to work super great for statics. It's still bizarrely causal unfriendly for the causal raid.

Oh, so it supposedly does work that way? Hmm, interesting. I guess then maybe to help everyone out, 4 loot from each turn, one of each mat, and maybe some token system so you only have to run each turn X times to ensure you get your drop. I mean, they did it with the new EX primals AND Savage Coi...so...why not normal Alex?

Sorian

Banned
Oh, so it supposedly does work that way? Hmm, interesting. I guess then maybe to help everyone out, 4 loot from each turn, one of each mat, and maybe some token system so you only have to run each turn X times to ensure you get your drop. I mean, they did it with the new EX primals AND Savage Coi...so...why not normal Alex?

Alex normal was meant to be a waste of your time until Savage came out. It's just a shame they didn't make the switch in the same patch as savage dropping.

Alex normal was meant to be a waste of your time until Savage came out. It's just a shame they didn't make the switch in the same patch as savage dropping.

Considering how Alex was only out for 2 weeks before completely better gear was released and it's only 4 mini bosses, I really don't get what the point of it was. It should have been a 24 man dungeon or something.

Alrus

It's pretty PF farm party friendly now too.

And yeah from what I've seen this morning, you get one of each + one random in your chests.

Sorian

Banned
Considering how Alex was only out for 2 weeks before completely better gear was released and it's only 4 mini bosses, I really don't get what the point of it was. It should have been a 24 man dungeon or something.

It was 100% only there for story purposes. The loot was an afterthought that they knew they had to shoe horn in.

Top Bottom