• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

dramatis

Am I missing something with Nocturnal Stance or did the tank just not know what they were talking about?
If he wants AST to dps, Diurnal is the way to go.

SCH had a 'regen' in the form of a fairy. WHM has regen. AST uses Diurnal.

Simply put, shields just don't last as long as a regen buff. That's all there is to it.

ebil

So, I had my first terrible DF experience while leveling my AST in Dusk Vigil yesterday.
The tank "has" a Lv.60 AST and said AST was garbage even after the recent buffs.

Also said that Diurnal sect sucked (when I look at the numbers, unless you need the preemptive shield diurnal looks better imo), and Nocturnal was the only way to go.
Kept on saying he wouldn't pull unless I went nocturnal (they still pulled though) and bitching about how bad AST and Diurnal sect is. Was a real downer to run with him.

Am I missing something with Nocturnal Stance or did the tank just not know what they were talking about?
Diurnal is still better in a "Fire and forget" way and I think it should be used whenever you don't need any shielding (or if you happen to run 2 ASTs as the effects don't stack). People who are amazed at their shielding capabilities usually can't comprehend that it's only a portion of what makes SCH good, the other being their fairy that is a constant, passive regen. Or they don't care about DPSing as a healer and have a lot of GCDs to spare to manually top people off.

Omnicent

If he wants AST to dps, Diurnal is the way to go.

SCH had a 'regen' in the form of a fairy. WHM has regen. AST uses Diurnal.

Simply put, shields just don't last as long as a regen buff. That's all there is to it.

yea that's what I thought. I tend to run Diurnal cause I find it easier to dps. Just wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong (only level 52) as I'm still learning how to play a healer.

Diurnal is still better in a "Fire and forget" way and I think it should be used whenever you don't need any shielding (or if you happen to run 2 ASTs as the effects don't stack). People who are amazed at their shielding capabilities usually can't comprehend that it's only a portion of what makes SCH good, the other being their fairy that is a constant, passive regen. Or they don't care about DPSing as a healer and have a lot of GCDs to spare to manually top people off.

So I won't really need to look into Nocturnal until 8 man content/shielding (is there any instance when running dungeons where Nocturnal is preferred by ASTs?).

I will say that after plaing a dps/tank all this time, healing is a breath of fresh air. So far I think I'll stick with it, though I may need to change my keybindings/start to use macros to make healing easier at some point. It's fine in 4 man, but noy sure how I'll deal in 8 man content.

Mandelbo

I posted in here a while ago about wanting to try FFXIV out, but the trial wasn't working on my EU account since I was in the beta. Yesterday I made a throwaway US squeenix account, so I'm finally actually playing it! The character I've made is purely to work out if I like the game or not - if I start subscribing I'm going to do it on my EU account, so I'm fully aware that I'll have to start over.

It's been pretty good so far, though. I'm playing as a marauder, and while I'm still getting used to how the combat works and getting the hang of focusing and locking onto things, I'm having fun! The game looks very good, and I can finally appreciate how great the soundtrack is. I'm not intending on doing much in the way of multiplayer, but if anyone wants to play along with someone who knows basically nothing I'm playing on the Moogle EU world and my name is MandelboUSA.

Trying to get caught up on the main storyline. I am up to 2.1. I just did a quest that required me to queue for 4 low level guildhests and each one took 10-15 minutes to get through the queue. Then the next quest requires me to queue up for 5 more low level guildhests.

This shit is brutal.
If you get stuck in the future, let people in the FC know and i'm sure we can get a healer or tank with you to get through that stuff quick. I'd be more than happy to help with guildhest as a healer, Marzipan Cupcake.

ebil

So I won't really need to look into Nocturnal until 8 man content/shielding (is there any instance when running dungeons where Nocturnal is preferred by ASTs?).
Not really. I don't think I've ever thought to myself "Man, this would be so much easier if I could be shielding people" in a 4 man instance. They're tuned for everyone so shielding people is never mandatory. Some ASTs stance dance between pulls to apply a Nocturnal A.Benefic then switch back to Diurnal but I find it to be a lot of work for low results. If I really want to shield my tank between pulls in a dungeon, I'll probably use Stoneskin.

I only use Nocturnal in content that benefits from shielding, which mostly means high end 8 man content (if you're running without a SCH) and PvP because Nocturnal is extremely powerful there.

scy

I pretty much always just use Nocturnal on my AST alt. The regen isn't a huge deal in 4-man and the "low -> full" recovery is the same either way. I still spend nearly all of my time DPSing so it costing time there is a weird though process. Realistically, anything DFable it won't matter at all what stance you're in for being able to heal it.

BadRNG

Kept on saying he wouldn't pull unless I went nocturnal (they still pulled though) and bitching about how bad AST and Diurnal sect is. Was a real downer to run with him.

yea that's what I thought. I tend to run Diurnal cause I find it easier to dps. Just wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong (only level 52) as I'm still learning how to play a healer.
If the guy giving you advice feels the need to begin behaving like a petulant child if you don't immediately do as he says, it's probably safe to continue ignoring their advice moving forward.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
If you get stuck in the future, let people in the FC know and i'm sure we can get a healer or tank with you to get through that stuff quick. I'd be more than happy to help with guildhest as a healer, Marzipan Cupcake.

Thanks, will do. Just wrapped up 2.2 so it is going much smoother now.

Thanks, will do. Just wrapped up 2.2 so it is going much smoother now.

Glad to hear it. From where you are now, the game gets So goooood. You were definitely in a little slump post 2.0 but there's no looking back from here imo. The story to end of 2.5 is just awesome and you'll be so hyped for Hw.

I finally got invigorate from Lancer for my MCH and any other TP using dps I decide to level. Also got my MCH to 50.

My spirit is broken. Leveing Lancer was worst than I thought, I truly despise that class.

Squishy3

Why does everyone seem to hate lancer? Haven't leveled one yet
you literally only have 2 maybe 3 buttons to press until level 26, because before you get full thrust you're strictly using heavy thrust and impulse drive because using impulse drive twice in a row is a 10 potency gain compared to true thrust and vorpal thrust, and you only need to push one button instead of 2

they should probably remove piercing talon entirely (it's one of the most useless skills in the game because it does shit damage, costs too much TP for how shit damage it does, you're better off not using it and just regenerating TP in the time spent dodging) put full thrust at 15 and disembowel at 26, put chaos thrust at 38 and come up with a new ability that replaces chaos thrust being at 50. it's kind of really dumb you learn vorpal thrust at level 4 and full thrust at level 26. this wouldn't make low level dungeons any less boring, of course, because you're not playing the game of keeping up BOTD, heavy thrust, disembowel, chaos thrust and phlebotomize but it would make me less likely to fall asleep

IvorB

you literally only have 2 maybe 3 buttons to press until level 26, because before you get full thrust you're strictly using heavy thrust and impulse drive because using impulse drive twice in a row is a 10 potency gain compared to true thrust and vorpal thrust, and you only need to push one button instead of 2

they should probably remove piercing talon entirely (it's one of the most useless skills in the game because it does shit damage, costs too much TP for how shit damage it does, you're better off not using it and just regenerating TP in the time spent dodging) put full thrust at 15 and disembowel at 26, put chaos thrust at 38 and come up with a new ability that replaces chaos thrust being at 50. it's kind of really dumb you learn vorpal thrust at level 4 and full thrust at level 26. this wouldn't make low level dungeons any less boring, of course, because you're not playing the game of keeping up BOTD, heavy thrust, disembowel, chaos thrust and phlebotomize but it would make me less likely to fall asleep

But Piercing Talon is awesome. I love that skill.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Been leveling DRG and BLM to slowly phase out my BRD cause goddamit if you're gonna make me cast then I might as well cast.

Moaradin

This is pretty much every job in the game. Once you get to 40+, they start to become intriguingly fun.

I dunno, I found MNK pretty fun at early levels. A lot of it had to do with it having a way quicker GCD compared to every class at the time, and I wasn't used to how slow it generally was in this game (used to WoW and SWTOR where it was like 1 second).

dcye

If people you know: ask them what you could do better instead of them being douchebags

If people you don't know: ignore and move on

Just because they were dicks you didn't know doesn't mean you shouldn't seek out ways to get better.

Omni

RNGesus was not on my side tonight.

Rolled a 96 on a pony from Ramuh extreme. Some other guy rolled a 97... I wanted to cry. It was mine. Then not two clears later I roll a 63 and ANOTHER guy rolls a 67 and I miss out again. I know, totally random but still. So close!

So good to be raiding again.

Got my A1S and A2S clears last night and got super close to beating Hand of Pain in A3S.

Should get past that mechanic next raid night.

Qvoth

i don't get this transition art winner
Go7SaZD.png

Qvoth

aaah ok
tbh i like the 3rd one (tranquil unveil) most
is this an na only competition? because no offense but jp fanarts probably are lightyears ahead

IvorB

I joined a bunch of random PFs yesterday doing all kinds of stuff. Unsynched was just a genius thing to include. It means I'll happily go back and do old stuff unsynched that I wouldn't dream of doing if the synch was in place. One of the parties I joined was a Bis Ex learning/clear and we managed to win after one or two attempts so that's great. It's a really fun fight though I was missing a lot so I need more accuracy. But now when I check the guide for Ravana Ex it makes my head hurt just reading it. :-(

Garlador

Well, I caved in and got Heavensward. I figured the 2 years anniversary is as good a time as any to catch back up.

... It's been months. I'm so rusty and so lost. Even though I've played for some time, I don't remember what skills are good for what situations.

That's the crummy thing about being a lapsed player; when you jump back in, it's like learning to walk all over again.

IvorB

like all other fights in the game, you just have to get used to it, everything will come naturally

Yeah I know how it goes but, man, the Ravana Ex guide is like a solid page of dense info to remember. It's pretty daunting but we'll see how it goes I guess.

Top Bottom