• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Sifl

So I noticed after now finally reaching the heavensward level 60 quest and having to run a few fates tomorrow to get there. But I barely see anyone doing fates in the expansion. It's almost all exclusive still to Northern Thanalan......why is that? Unless I'm missing the new hot spot for fate leveling
My server is pretty dead, but I still see a quite few fate parties for hw areas in the pf.

Kusagari

So I noticed after now finally reaching the heavensward level 60 quest and having to run a few fates tomorrow to get there. But I barely see anyone doing fates in the expansion. It's almost all exclusive still to Northern Thanalan......why is that? Unless I'm missing the new hot spot for fate leveling

They used to be dead but since they fixed the exp problems I always see fate parties for at least the churning mists in party Finder.

Kenai

Churning Mists is pretty popular, but you can't really go there until 55 since you need flying to make it efficient and it's gated behind the story (unless it's your second+ job). If you don't see anyone there start a PF, usually find people pretty quick.

Moonlight

Banned
Whoo, finally became a black mage! Convert has already made this worth it.

Only thing that I'm a bit confused on now is that I'm getting 'thaumaturgist experience points' instead of just experience points, unless that's always been the case and I'm an idiot.

rubius01

I got the Firion outfit and its pretty freakin cool!
11952804_10205894250052824_5946280641668965599_o_zpslaojxceo.jpg

What? Waht now? Where did that come from?

suzu

Whoo, finally became a black mage! Convert has already made this worth it.

Only thing that I'm a bit confused on now is that I'm getting 'thaumaturgist experience points' instead of just experience points, unless that's always been the case and I'm an idiot.

The class (THM) gains the exp and you equip the soul crystal to play as the job (BLM).

What? Waht now? Where did that come from?

840 days Veteran reward.

Critical Elk

Neo Member
Something something Poison Pots

Late but, we had "seen" casacade with one tank alive at that point. We had been (very inconsistently) getting to adds two nights prior, and had probably gotten five or so clean tries the next night. Then naru nope'd out and chest day happened, so getting to adds was less of an issue. There was maybe a third night in there where we forgot how to pass debuffs and didn't see adds.

Omni

Ignore it till at least 54.....it's not worth using until you can pop empyreal arrow. Once 56 you can be perma WM while disabling for situations.
Really? Hmm. I'll keep levelling it up then I suppose.

The different cast times are gonna take a while to get used to though. It has jumbled up everything. Not sure if I like.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm sitting on 1.4 million worth of minion which I'm sure is pocket change to some of you, but I've never felt more tempted in my life.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So mog ex unsynced is a lot of fun (and actually shorter than hm). Assign everyone a moogle and bash away.

Thornmarch exterme at 60 straight up doesn't get enough time to put its dangerous toys against you before you cannonball through it. One of those fights where the less time you spend in it the more neutered it becomes.

Qvoth

well i was bumping that complaint thread i made, and i got a 1 week ban
but maybe another mod/admin saw that my original post contained the word stupid, so it became perma ban
TadkV.gif

dcye

complained about baby opo opo drop rates long time ago, and apparently stupid is a banned word

Man that's rough. They must not police the individual world forums very hard cause I've called people some very questionable things on ours and not even gotten a temp ban. I basically only troll any FC I don't like.

Murray97

How is everyone finding the expansion so far? I played a huge amount right before it released and got to 60 then sort of just stopped. Thinking about resubbing though because that MMO itch is coming back.

I'm guessing PvP is still garbage and PvE is fun like always?

Jeels

Thornmarch exterme at 60 straight up doesn't get enough time to put its dangerous toys against you before you cannonball through it. One of those fights where the less time you spend in it the more neutered it becomes.

Yup to be honest I was expecting it to be bad with super high dps because I was expecting people to accidentebtly kill off moogles while others still had high health but it just didn't happen.

Ken

How is everyone finding the expansion so far? I played a huge amount right before it released and got to 60 then sort of just stopped. Thinking about resubbing though because that MMO itch is coming back.

I'm guessing PvP is still garbage and PvE is fun like always?

People are still playing the new PvP mode so I think it has some legs. It's basically territory control with RNG. Seemed alright to me the few times I played it.

PVE is ok but not a whole lot if you don't plan on doing the hard mode raid, since you'll just gun for i170 law gear, jump to i190/200 with the "easy mode" raid and tome grinding, and wait for next tier.

We'll be getting the new 24-man raid (Void Ark),2 new dungeons and new Extreme fight as the next in-between tiers PVE content so that'll be a little more stuff to do.

Where can I find a guide for obtaining penta-melded accessories? I don't have the money for it, so I can't just buy it off the market board, nor do I have a crafter at that level to make it myself.

I guess my first step would be to start getting the items needed to craft these accessories, but I have no idea how to start. I also don't have a crafter at the required levels, so I guess I'd need to find someone willing to make it for me.

Also, should I expect these things to be obsolete by the time patch 3.1 comes out?

Where can I find a guide for obtaining penta-melded accessories? I don't have the money for it, so I can't just buy it off the market board, nor do I have a crafter at that level to make it myself.

I guess my first step would be to start getting the items needed to craft these accessories, but I have no idea how to start. I also don't have a crafter at the required levels, so I guess I'd need to find someone willing to make it for me.

Also, should I expect these things to be obsolete by the time patch 3.1 comes out?

are you progression raiding as in on a4s?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Which minion did you get?
Well I've still got the Gaelikitten sitting around and I've now got an Owlet too, came pretty close to a Lesser Panda in The Aery, but no dice.
Discard it. Join me in the yolo lifestyle
No way!
Just sell it. What are you waiting for?
I don't know if I want them, it's like whats the point of getting rich if I'm not gonna spend it on stuff? And if I were to spend it'd just be on silly stuff like minions anyway. ._.

Well I've still got the Gaelikitten sitting around and I've now got an Owlet too, came pretty close to a Lesser Panda in The Aery, but no dice.

No way!

I don't know if I want them, it's like whats the point of getting rich if I'm not gonna spend it on stuff? And if I were to spend it'd just be on silly stuff like minions anyway. ._.

keep them and see if they go up in price when the new gold saucer minion game comes out. Then decide if you want to keep or not. This stuff will usually keep its value for a long time

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
keep them and see if they go up in price when the new gold saucer minion game comes out. Then decide if you want to keep or not. This stuff will usually keep its value for a long time
Good idea, thanks.

On another note I'm not really feeling most of the new hairstyles in this contest.

TRI Mike

I've been subscribed for 93 days and still haven't gotten any other rewards. According to the official site I should already have the Voidal Resonator but instead at the very beginning I got rewards that are supposed to be for 180 days players (minions of light, BLM barding for Chocobo). Help¿

suzu

I've been subscribed for 93 days and still haven't gotten any other rewards. According to the official site I should already have the Voidal Resonator but instead at the very beginning I got rewards that are supposed to be for 180 days players (minions of light, BLM barding for Chocobo). Help¿

Try clicking the Reward Delivery Request button on the mail window. If not, maybe it's in the opened letters section but you forgot to take out the items or something?

WolvenOne

Been trying to think of ways they could add more mid-tier content to the game, without dramatically altering the way they do things. Keep in mind I really don't expect them to do this, this is more a thought experiment for my own benefit.

As far as I could see it, there are two ways they could do it.

1: Make a Story and Hard version of Void Ark. Normal Mode would be where all the gear drops, and HM would drop upgrade items to bump the gear up to 210 and make it dyeable. This i REALLY don't expect to happen. For all the success of the game, they seem to have a limited budget for making multiple versions of each fight. That said this would probably be the best way to handle it, as it'd give players two easy raids, (Alexander NM, Void Ark NM,) a mid tier Raid, (Void Ark HM,) and a hardcore Raid, (Alexander Savage Mode.)

2: The second way I could see them adding some mid-tier content, is by making a new set of Craftable armor attached to Sky Island exploration. The big wrinkle here is that it'd have to function differently from normal Craftable armor. I'm pretty sure they couldn't allow Materia melding on anything above ilvl180, or else every piece would be BiS. Even without melding however, it'd give players a lot of incentive to grind out sky-island exploration. I don't see this as very likely either though, because again they would need to start doing something fundamentally different than how they were before.

Finally, I will also add that there are probably additional reasons why they probably won't go with these routes, I'm just probably not seeing them immediately.

WolvenOne

Crafting isn't exactly midcore in HW.

It isn't, but it'd give something for the Crafters to do, while giving the people whom are more concerned with battle content something to grind away on.

Either way, I guess what it comes down to is that with one of the max ilvl gear sets locked behind Savage, the game's going to need some other set of gear to go after. You can either put that behind battles, or a grind, but either way players will need some sort of goal to work toward.

Edit: To clarify, they'll need some other set of max ilvl gear to go after, because the Esoteric grind won't be enough to keep people busy for another 3-4 months. Sure there'll be 200 gear, but most players end up ignoring that and spamming whatever gets them the Eso upgrade items. If the Eso upgrade items are free-farm, they spam HARD, and run out of stuff to do after a few weeks. If the upgrade items are a weekly lockout, that ends up creating a lot of downtime for players, and probably still won't satisfy them for 3-4 months.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It isn't, but it'd give something for the Crafters to do, while giving the people whom are more concerned with battle content something to grind away on.

Either way, I guess what it comes down to is that with one of the max ilvl gear sets locked behind Savage, the game's going to need some other set of gear to go after. You can either put that behind battles, or a grind, but either way players will need some sort of goal to work toward.

Edit: To clarify, they'll need some other set of max ilvl gear to go after, because the Esoteric grind won't be enough to keep people busy for another 3-4 months. Sure there'll be 200 gear, but most players end up ignoring that and spamming whatever gets them the Eso upgrade items. If the Eso upgrade items are free-farm, they spam HARD, and run out of stuff to do after a few weeks. If the upgrade items are a weekly lockout, that ends up creating a lot of downtime for players, and probably still won't satisfy them for 3-4 months.

The thing that bugs me about this is that the devs seem to assume that people who craft do it for the gear, not for the fun of making stuff, working the markets etc. Turning it into a horrifically tedious gear grind. In my FC several of us were 3-4 star omni-crafters in ARR. Now every single one of us are just lazily recapping the jobs with no intention of doing the scrip grind after, and this seems to be fairly common going by conversations with other crafters.

It just makes me wonder where crafting will go in the future. If only a small percentage of the player base is bothering with scrips, what's the point of spending development money on something that not many people want to do? From business perspective it seems a waste.

WolvenOne

Yeah, sounds like they misjudged how much of a Grind the crafting community would accept. Plus it sounds like they're aren't yet many really high end pieces of crafted gear people are interested in enough to motivate going through the grind.

Honestly, I think you're right that they figured crafting glamour would be enough to keep people doing it. Sounds like that just isn't the case.

Top Bottom