• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

'Don't use macros', mostly; if you try and macro Wheeling Thrust/Fang and Claw they'll come out a lot slower. I have them on ctrl Q and ctrl R, with gleikeakrkaskaskasaspaghetti on ctrl+ mouse button; there's almost certainly better layouts but it gets the job done. If you're on controller, I have no bloody clue, ask Bookey Oyama.

To expand upon this, it's because macro'd skills do not "que" up and get used automatically right when they are available, right? When you press a normal skill button like .1 or whatever before the cooldown is up it will use it right when it becomes available, but with macros it will not even register the button press until after the cooldown is fully expired. Meaning you may lose a few fractions of a second every time.

All that being said
I still don't care and have both Wheeling Thrust/Fang and Claw macro'd together to make less buttons to press knowing that it isn't ideal. Fuck da police.

SkyOdin

Is there a list of tank buffs or something that I can look at?

Admittedly I know next to nothing about tanking. So when I have a squishy tank that's taking a lot of damage I'm not sure what to look for. I've made it a habit of checking out their gear at the start of dungeons so I know if I'm gonna have my work cut out for me, but beyond that I'm usually left just hoping for the best... haha

Well, tank buffs vary from class to class.

For Paladins, they have two main stances: Sword Oath and Shield Oath. Sword Oath is the DPS stance, and it looks like a blue sword icon. Shield Oath is the tanking stance (increased defense and threat, lower damage), and it looks like a yellow shield icon. If you look at the tank between fights (when there are not a whole lot of other buffs up), you should see one of those two icons up.

For Warriors, the tank stance looks like a red axe. That is called Defiance, and boosts their max HP and amount of health healed.

Dark Knights typically have two permanent buffs up: Darkside (which is usually up for both DPSing and tanking) and Grit (their tanking stance). Grit is the purple looking icon.

If you are on a PC, you can mouse-over the icons to see what they are and what they do. I think you can do the same if you manually activate the mouse cursor on consoles.

Xux

Is there a list of tank buffs or something that I can look at?

Admittedly I know next to nothing about tanking. So when I have a squishy tank that's taking a lot of damage I'm not sure what to look for. I've made it a habit of checking out their gear at the start of dungeons so I know if I'm gonna have my work cut out for me, but beyond that I'm usually left just hoping for the best... haha
Here's the tank stance icons:
Paladin:
LohSjwn.png

Warrior:
R4fXe1k.png

Dark Knight:
gLKC70c.png

Paladin and Dark Knight's
are identical and
reduce the damage they take while Warrior's buffs their HP and the amount they get healed so a Warrior will seem squishier but your heals will be stronger.

Sites like this have a list of abilities you can look at. Stuff to look out for are probably Convalescence (cross class from PLD, increased healing), Berserk (WAR buff that ends with them being Pacified which can be Esuna, Leeches/Fey Caress, or Exalted Detrimented off of them), Thrill of Battle (WAR heal that also buffs their max HP and synergies well with Stoneskin), and, of course, Hallowed Ground, Holmgang, and Living Dead which, if you see them up, means the tank is expecting to be close to getting KO'd. Living Dead especially is important to know since the Dark Knight needs to be healed back to 100% before it wears off or they'll be KO'd anyway.

For big groups I usually pull with it than cycle it off once I've got everything established. But maybe I should be using it more for trash in general.

My view is, as long as I'm not dying I should be pushing as much damage as possible to get the packs killed quicker, even if the healer has to hit a few more buttons to compensate. Maybe this is a bad way to think about it in this game. Coming from WoW, healers don't have much to contribute dps wise whereas in this game they seem to be expected to contribute meaningfully. I think my attitude is compounded by the fact that most of the time when I die or come close on trash or in a boss, I usually see the healer has near full MP and isn't using all of their tools. Then again I haven't healed in this game yet (plan to level AST next) so maybe I'm just being inconsiderate.

And of course this is all based on pre-50 content. I'm sure at 60 the game is different.

You generally have the right idea and it won't change much at 60 other than having DA+Abyssal Drain. It's good for 4-5+ mobs with blood price up, but it comes with a high MP price tag.

A safe general rule of thumb is to take Grit off only when you've got DEF cool downs up to rotate for damage spikes. Then you can throw it back up when your out of them if you got a healers who's antsy. If its a large trash pack I wouldn't even bother until there's only 2 or 3 left and you have CDs. DA+Darkpassenger/DarkDance can let you get away with a lot of things if you have the MP for it, but don't be putting it up with Blood Price up.

Just so long as you have Darkside up mostly full time since thats the name of the game. Leave it up all the way through a pull and take it down once the pack of mobs is dead. the few extra ticks you get outside of Darkside should be plenty for the next pack of mobs.

As much over healing as I get in a normal DF I don't really get why they cry either, and its not like I don't understand what some healers go having leveled one to max. However, I'd have more sympathy if they were actually pushing the limits by trying to DPS in between cures, but on average most don't. I can't speak for AST healing though since I've never leveled the class.

klonere

Banned
Tonight I did a more or less meaningless side quest with marginal EXP gains that was no more than a fetch quest chasing a baby dragon about playing hide and seek. I had a big dumb smile on my face the whole time and liked it a whole lot.

This is A Good Video Game.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's kinda funny. I hear people on the official forums and elseware constantly preaching STR accessories and dps stance for general DF stuff (and rightly so, my limited experience so far shows me Grit really isn't worth it unless you NEED the mitigation). But having leveled DRK to 50 entirely in dungeons I'm constantly being yelled at to turn on Grit.

I'm not losing aggro, not dying, rotating CDs as normal so not taking excessive damage. But multiple times as soon as the healer or one of the dps notices I don't have Grit active they mention it. Then if for whatever reason a mob gets pulled off me, usually because of split dps, and gets a single auto attack off while I grab threat back, immediately these guys are like "Learn your class noob, I'm a PLD/WAR/DRK main and I'm telling you to switch Grit on."

I try to explain that there is no reason to reduce my damage since I'm a) not dying and b) not losing threat for any detrimental amount of time, and certaintly never on a boss. Their first response has always been "Are you a dps?". Like since I'm a tank my dps is irrelevant even though at this level I'm actually doing just as much as most people according to ACT. If I turn on Grit the net result is the run goes slightly slower, and that's it. No reason at all to turn it on unless someone pulls an extra pack or two and I feel I need the mitigation.

Maybe this is an isolated experience, but it's easy to see why new tanks with Fending accs and full-time tank stance when it's not needed might be prevalent. I had one healer refuse to heal unless I turned on "my threat stance". I turned it on and then immediately cycled it off for the rest of the run and he never noticed...

I've also noticed DRKs have sort of a derpy stigma attached, which I can understand. I really like the job so far (Dark Arts makes it much more interesting) but I can see how the flashy angsty plate guy with a big sword probably attracts some not so great players.
DRK being added caused a lot of DPS to try their first tank class, I think the reason for the backlash is as you said because people are under the impression that a lot of DRK players don't know how to tank.

DRK being added caused a lot of DPS to try their first tank class, I think the reason for the backlash is as you said because people are under the impression that a lot of DRK players don't know how to tank.

Yup.

I have had to teach many DRKs in low level how to tank. I always ask first if i can offer tips though.

It surprising how many dont even keep darkside up.

Didn't cross my mind till the end of the fight normally I do, but I'm usually the healer then so its easier to ensure a wipe.

Lore question and spoilers:

Do you think King Thordan and the 12 Knights count as one primal summon or 13 individual ones? I've always operated under the impression they are 13 individual primals.

One since they are drawing from the legend of King Thordan and his Knights Twelve.

Item Box

Strangely enough, I've seen the opposite of that. A DRK as OT had Grit on for the entire living liquid fight and objected to turning it off when I asked him about it.

I'm pretty sure healers can deal more damage than tanks in dps stance in an aoe situation (provided that the healer actually has room to dps) anyway so eh...

Edt: Well, yeah, assuming the healer isn't lazy.

Fishing shouldn't nearly as addicting as it is in this game, the decision to give up my life as Warrior of Light and retire to spend my days hooking the big ones has been a good one so far.

Omni

Well, tank buffs vary from class to class.

For Paladins, they have two main stances: Sword Oath and Shield Oath. Sword Oath is the DPS stance, and it looks like a blue sword icon. Shield Oath is the tanking stance (increased defense and threat, lower damage), and it looks like a yellow shield icon. If you look at the tank between fights (when there are not a whole lot of other buffs up), you should see one of those two icons up.

For Warriors, the tank stance looks like a red axe. That is called Defiance, and boosts their max HP and amount of health healed.

Dark Knights typically have two permanent buffs up: Darkside (which is usually up for both DPSing and tanking) and Grit (their tanking stance). Grit is the purple looking icon.

If you are on a PC, you can mouse-over the icons to see what they are and what they do. I think you can do the same if you manually activate the mouse cursor on consoles.

Here's the tank stance icons:
Paladin:
LohSjwn.png

Warrior:
R4fXe1k.png

Dark Knight:
gLKC70c.png

Paladin and Dark Knight's
are identical and
reduce the damage they take while Warrior's buffs their HP and the amount they get healed so a Warrior will seem squishier but your heals will be stronger.

Sites like this have a list of abilities you can look at. Stuff to look out for are probably Convalescence (cross class from PLD, increased healing), Berserk (WAR buff that ends with them being Pacified which can be Esuna, Leeches/Fey Caress, or Exalted Detrimented off of them), Thrill of Battle (WAR heal that also buffs their max HP and synergies well with Stoneskin), and, of course, Hallowed Ground, Holmgang, and Living Dead which, if you see them up, means the tank is expecting to be close to getting KO'd. Living Dead especially is important to know since the Dark Knight needs to be healed back to 100% before it wears off or they'll be KO'd anyway.
Thanks for this. Really helps a lot :)

IvorB

Gaem is ded.

I'm, personally, checked out until 3.1. I'll have all 100 triple triad cards next Tuesday, I've completed the end game.

Suppose a break is always a good thing. Maybe I should finally finish Bloodborne...

Edit: Wait... don't you do that whole raiding thing? Did you beat A4S already?

iammeiam

Eso grind/EXDR depending
Make some Xpots
Catch some Pipira
Wipe to waterman forever
Log out

It's reached the point where I kind of miss having relic lurking out there as a timesink since I'm spending almost no time on my main job outside of raid and that can't be good for like... Improving.

Cacpot tickets
Expert Roulette
Trial Roulette
Level PLD or MCH a bit.
Log out

Already have all the Alexander healer items and refuse to return there till Alexander 'turn 2'.

Sorian

Banned
Remove afk tag
Cactpot tickets
Mine some red scrips
PVP daily
Repeat PVP matches (if Flames are doing good lol)
Mine some more red scrips
/afk

WolvenOne

Two weeks exactly until TGS. We'll be getting that sweet sweet 3.1 info/trailer? soon enough.

*Stares at calender.*

*STARRING INTENSIFIES!*

Get treasure map
PvP a bit for eso
Do some red scrip gathering/crafting
afk and hope people want to do some fun stuff before I leave for work

WolvenOne

Honestly there's still plenty of stuff I want to do in game, but there's also a lot of people burnt out on things like leveling dungeons, running Primals, etc. This can make it a little more difficult to do things.

Still need to clear Bismark a few times, to get my Ugly Axe.

Sorian

Banned
Two weeks exactly until TGS. We'll be getting that sweet sweet 3.1 info/trailer? soon enough.

*Stares at calender.*

*STARRING INTENSIFIES!*

I planned a vacation for this coming week a few months back and then I got worried that with my luck it would overlap with 3.1 release. How silly of me to expect the patch so early.

Ferr986

I wish I could grind esos with PvP, but dem queues....

I honestly can't take Neverreap anymore, I just can't (doesnt help that 8 out of 10 times in Expert is Neverreap for me).

WolvenOne

I wish I could grind esos with PvP, but dem queues....

I honestly can't take Neverreap anymore, I just can't (doesnt help that 8 out of 10 times in Expert is Neverreap for me).

Could be worse, I got Aurum Vale the other day, with NEW players. Did the whole thing without complaint, because I've kinda learned that complaining about it and building it up is actually worse than just relaxing and doing it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
What are the chances of acquiring a house? I read somewhere they are sold out and are not making more? Should I just settle for a room in the FC housing when I save up enough money to get one?

WolvenOne

What are the chances of acquiring a house? I read somewhere they are sold out and are not making more? Should I just settle for a room in the FC housing when I save up enough money to get one?

Small lots are a bit hard to come by, but I think I heard that they'd be evicting inactive players before too much longer, so some should be opening up.

Top Bottom