• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Critical Elk

Neo Member
I don't know I mean I once encountered a tank with less health than the DPS(yes in Alex). As for that WHM I was the other WHM stuck raising the dead, casting regen and generally pulling out all the stops to keep everyone alive.

The first case is really vague without any other info, like their respective ilvls. An i190+ drg could probably easily have more hp than a new i170 tank. Another problem is that you're comparing flat hp numbers, and ignoring the concept of ehp almost entirely. Since low hp is the point here, it was likely either a pld or drk, both of whom possess innate defensive buffs while in their tanking stance. More vit does not make a tank less squishy, especially paired with the fact that hp gains in heavensward has been toned down a bit in favor of actually making defense do something. A tank in full vit and i170 gear is much, much more squishy (and probably has less hp) than an i210 tank in full slaying.

I'm not trying to contest that your cohealer was not a bad egg, but the idea of lumping in tanks who wear str accs with bad players isn't the correct course of action. Squishy tanks will be squishy regardless of their hp bloat.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
The first case is really vague without any other info, like their respective ilvls. An i190+ drg could probably easily have more hp than a new i170 tank. Another problem is that you're comparing flat hp numbers, and ignoring the concept of ehp almost entirely. Since low hp is the point here, it was likely either a pld or drk, both of whom possess innate defensive buffs while in their tanking stance. More vit does not make a tank less squishy, especially paired with the fact that hp gains in heavensward has been toned down a bit in favor of actually making defense do something. A tank in full vit and i170 gear is much, much more squishy (and probably has less hp) than an i210 tank in full slaying.

I'm not trying to contest that your cohealer was not a bad egg, but the idea of lumping in tanks who wear str accs with bad players isn't the correct course of action. Squishy tanks will be squishy regardless of their hp bloat.
Yes it was a DRK and fair enough to all of the above, still new to the game overall, but I do my best to pick things up quickly.

WolvenOne

Void Ark.

A lot of your issues are temporary but you want permanent fixes for them.

As I said earlier, being effectively ivl capped at 200 is fine, if that's indeed what they're going to do. If they follow the 2.X playbook however, they'll put the upgrade items somewhere other than Alex Savage. Then a huge portion of the player base is suddenly stuck with a single 210 set that they can't mess with in any meaningful way.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the game shouldn't hold up gear progression for too long. So at points where vertical progression slows down or stops, there should be a means of sideways progression.

But, whatever.

I guess I should have highlighted that the purpose of the picture was to show that I own all 100 cards now. I don't actually care about Cloud in particular, he was just the last one I unlocked.

Well obviously. He just happens to be a good card vs humans since no 3 star can flip him from 3 sides.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Neverreap is objectively better than Fractal. Anyone who disagrees is wrong and should feel bad.

WolvenOne

Nevereap isn't bad, roulette just seems to favor it for some reason. This is compounded by the fact that there are limited ways to get Esoterics at the moment.

Granted, this'll solve itself in time, mostly.

chrono01

Neverreap is objectively better than Fractal. Anyone who disagrees is wrong and should feel bad.
Neverreap is a faster dungeon compared to Fractal, however I've had 15 minute runs for the latter and that's still pretty damn fast [granted, it was with two BLM for AOE'ing trash, but still]. While Neverreap is generally quicker to complete, I still prefer Fractal since I enjoy the bosses there more. The main issue I have with Neverreap [as a BLM] is the RNG nature of all of the boss encounters. It seems like every one of them is non-BLM friendly forcing you to either move constantly or the boss phases in/out/disappears [such as with the first boss]. The biggest offender, though, is the final boss. There's no circle of Hell tormenting enough for that abomination. I'm not an angry person, but that boss of makes me feel like breaking my keyboard in-half, especially if you're continually targeted with tornadoes [as this seems to happen quite consistently with me]. At least with Fractal and their bosses, I can keep up full Enochian rotations without too much trouble since you can better plan ahead and predict the needed movements. It's just a more enjoyable experience for me, even if it takes longer.

But yes, for certain classes I can see them liking Neverreap more. Or, that odd BLM who seems to feel the same way [although the majority I've met in-game are relieved when Fractal pops instead of Neverreap].

Also, Fractal music > Neverreap music.

You just disturbed you're best friend incoming paragraph from Makoto. RIP Tomat.
Paragraph(s) long enough for you? I wasn't sure if it was too little, just enough, or too much. Honestly, just thinking/talking about Neverreap causes my blood to boil, so I'd rather pretend it doesn't exist and discuss it as little as possible. >_<

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Raging Strikes + Scathe = Neverreap SO EZ

Now I want to level BLM just to see if my opinion would change on Neverreap.

chrono01

Neverreap is garbage through and through and no amount of Maktoto's sweet dulcet tones will change my views.
You will not see me trying to convince you otherwise. It seems we share the same opinion, for which I applaud you.

Raging Strikes + Scathe = Neverreap SO EZ

Now I want to level BLM just to see if my opinion would change on Neverreap.
It would definitely change your opinion. I hate Neverreap. :/

Holy shit so many people are still bad at Alex normal.

No one's doing Alex Normal anymore. It died fast, people were always doing CT for months and months but Alex Normal died in a matter of weeks.

Squenix made a lot of mistakes with how expansion content is structured, I always felt like I had something to do in 2.0. In 3.0 I don't even want to log in to do EXDR anymore, I'm so tired of this game right now and the endless hamster treadmill running which has been made as un-fun as possible in 3.0 for no good reason whatsoever. I wish there were time cards in this game that let me buy hours of play at a time like the KMMOs, so I can just buy 5 hours a week to wipe in Alex Savage and save the rest of my money.

Tabris

This game would cost more for me then it does now if it is F2P unless the cash items are glamour only and not pay to win.

If you had to pay money to enter raids and stuff like that, it would be a disaster. I dunno how most F2P MMO's are though.

Sorian

Banned
This game would cost more for me then it does now if it is F2P unless the cash items are glamour only and not pay to win.

If you had to pay money to enter raids and stuff like that, it would be a disaster. I dunno how most F2P MMO's are though.

I can't think of any F2P MMO worth anyone's time that is pay to win.

WolvenOne

Can think of a few ways to potentially make the game more fun, not on the Raid end of things mind you, but still.

1: Create a new kind of roulette that sends you into an old dungeon. You have all your level 60 abilities but your stats are scaled back to min ilvl appropriate levels for whatever dungeon you end up in. This new roulette would not be apart of of the regular roulette system, but instead is given in the form of a repeatable quest that resets periodically.

2: Create a Speedrun leaderboard system for each server. There should be two categories, Synched and Unsynced. In addition to the normal rewards you get for doing the content, you also get rewards that scale with how quickly you beat the content. The board should also reset periodically, and if you are at the top of the board when it resets it unlocks a special title.

Sadly those are the only two ideas I can really think up along these lines at the moment. Still, even those two would probably do a lot to get people out there doing stuff, even if it's not, "currently relevant."

Not that I expect anything like this mind you, but it'd be nice to have relevant uses for the older content, for dry spells I'd nothing else.

Teknoman

I've always though that having random unique powerful monsters popping up in dungeons would be a pretty good thing to spice up gameplay for all levels. Like most recent online games, its just lacking a sense of danger.

WolvenOne

I've always though that having random unique powerful monsters popping up in dungeons would be a pretty good thing to spice up gameplay for all levels. Like most recent online games, its just lacking a sense of danger.

I think I'd prefer to keep that sort of randomness outside of dungeons. Though it does remind me that the hunt system needs a subtle revamp.

Teknoman

I think I'd prefer to keep that sort of randomness outside of dungeons. Though it does remind me that the hunt system needs a subtle revamp.

Yeah I'm still bitter that hunts turned out to be rushes just like fates. The thing about hunts: They are pretty fun to fight when in a small party. I guess the airship expeditions coming up will...hopefully be along the lines of what i'm looking for.

The random strong enemy encounter could be just me having checked out .Hack and Sword Art too much recently. Anything to throw that element of danger into exploration/sense of adventure.

WolvenOne

Well it's hard to throw in too many things that could threaten you at 60, without making life extremely difficult to people still leveling. Honestly I'm not really certain there is a good solution for this, feels like areas can either be geared for people leveling, or for people at end-game, it can't really be both.

To be honest 3.0 doesn't feel any different than 2.0 around this time in its life.

I guess people forgot that end game in 2.0 was only two dungeons for grinding tomes, Wanderer's Keep and Amdapor Keep until your eyes bled. Remember it got so bad people started speed running the dungeons in the most efficiently/cheese way possible to get it over with even in Duty Finder groups and they had to change the dungeons in some ways to stop it?

I also remember it was around this time in 2.0's life I took a break and came back near patch 2.2.

Kudo

To be honest 3.0 doesn't feel any different than 2.0 around this time in its life.

I guess people forgot that end game in 2.0 was only two dungeons for grinding tomes, Wanderer's Keep and Amdapor Keep until your eyes bled. Remember it got so bad people started speed running the dungeons in the most efficiently/cheese way possible to get it over with even in Duty Finder groups and they had to change the dungeons in some ways to stop it?

I also remember it was around this time in 2.0's life I took a break and came back near patch 2.2.

Just run to the boss and let the tank die.. Those times.

dcye

People haven't forgotten, that's why after 2 fucking years of their sub money they're justifiably annoyed that the game is exactly the same with a new skin and higher numbers.

the expansion was so goddamn safe. they're very afraid to try new things.

the story was better, new skills are fun for my main class. they revised the loot system a little. can't complain about those points. the rest is same shit with new pretty graphics.

i'm glad people are complaining. my sub is done in 6 days.

tbh I was gonna drop my sub soon anyway since a metric ton of games I want are coming out for the next few months.

I'll make use of these last 6 days on my sub to cap esos one more time.

Funny though, SE will still get my money because one of the games I'm getting is Dragon Quest Heroes.

Kudo

Is there any ETA for 3.2?

Also after years of playing I just unlocked the PVP cause I was bored, wasn't too bad for daily and 40 ESO.
How hard grind is the Fox Chest for BLM? Really love the tail on that so would like to get it as my second class is BLM so could maybe exp that to 60 too later with cutest glamour.

IvorB

Yeah I'm still bitter that hunts turned out to be rushes just like fates. The thing about hunts: They are pretty fun to fight when in a small party. I guess the airship expeditions coming up will...hopefully be along the lines of what i'm looking for.

No need to be bitter. Hunts are pretty much like that now. Not many people bother to do them so it's typically just a small party for the fight.

the expansion was so goddamn safe. they're very afraid to try new things.

the story was better, new skills are fun for my main class. they revised the loot system a little. can't complain about those points. the rest is same shit with new pretty graphics.

i'm glad people are complaining. my sub is done in 6 days.

The expansions was really great but they maybe should have just followed up with more stuff a little sooner. They say they are trying new things going forward so we will see I guess.

Is there any ETA for 3.2?

Also after years of playing I just unlocked the PVP cause I was bored, wasn't too bad for daily and 40 ESO.
How hard grind is the Fox Chest for BLM? Really love the tail on that so would like to get it as my second class is BLM so could maybe exp that to 60 too later with cutest glamour.
The old 3 month patch schedule would say this month but in reality it'll probably be the last week in October if not early November.

Least that's where I'm placing my bets.

BlueWord

Nerfing Alexander Savage is the opposite of an answer. Then we run into the opposite issue where you clear through content way too fast and have nothing to do.

The simple answer is they just need more content of all levels (not just easy and extreme).

This power creep thing is right on, but they would need to re-engineer the entire game to fix that though. So since that's not happening, better to go further into it.

I think power creep is mitigated somewhat by the fact that the MSQ essentially provides a constant stream of people doing old content. Of course, its really dependent on people leveling new classes/rolling new characters, which could potentially become a problem as the game gets longer in the tooth, but it's nowhere near as bad as something like WoW, for instance.

I agree that more content at all levels is the solution here. In the meantime, I'm expecting whatever this new Gold Saucer attraction is in 3.1 to be the release valve they're looking for.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I think power creep is mitigated somewhat by the fact that the MSQ essentially provides a constant stream of people doing old content. Of course, its really dependent on people leveling new classes/rolling new characters, which could potentially become a problem as the game gets longer in the tooth, but it's nowhere near as bad as something like WoW, for instance.

I agree that more content at all levels is the solution here. In the meantime, I'm expecting whatever this new Gold Saucer attraction is in 3.1 to be the release valve they're looking for.

Verminion? If Chocobo Racing and TT are anything to go by that's unlikely...

IvorB

Didn't they say they were releasing the whole island exploration thing in the next patch? That has the potential to be really cool. I like the sound of it.

Ferr986

Didn't they say they were releasing the whole island exploration thing in the next patch? That has the potential to be really cool. I like the sound of it.

I expect to be a glorified treasure map hunting. Yo land in a small island with some trash mobs and a weak "boss"-like, get random treasure with loot (yay tavnairian silks!) and some trees to harvest items. Hope to be wrong.

IvorB

I expect to be a glorified treasure map hunting. Yo land in a small island with some trash mobs and a weak "boss"-like, get random treasure with loot (yay tavnairian silks!) and some trees to harvest items. Hope to be wrong.

I'm okay with this as long as the boss is not weak and the fight is actually worth the trouble.

aceface

Updated Alexander numbers:

37_JPEN_Census_L

Omni

I still need to do A4 normal at some point. MGS has got me hooked >.>

If I do the daily roulette I should get my 200 weapon today which will be nice I suppose. Could do it before attempting A4 maybe. Kinda bored of the same couple of dungeons over and over though... hmmm.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Even after all of the complaints about the changes the Bard Class received in 3.0 it's still remains to be one of the top DPS Job of choice.

I guess some of us are too loyal to change jobs and despite my displeasure with Wanderer's Minuet my Bard is still my main and I still continue to play with him to this day.

Pachimari

Is the next update gonna be an incremental update, or are we going directly to 4.0? That would be next year, wouldn't it?

I'm still at A Realm Reborn, lvl. 11. You guys are so insanely fast at leveling up.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Even after all of the complaints about the changes the Bard Class received in 3.0 it's still remains to be one of the top DPS Job of choice.

It probably calculates all the non-capped people so naturally jobs for starting classes have larger percentages. The real tragedy there is the monk.

What's the minimum ilvl your group should be to attempt AS1?

185+ with Hive weapons

Top Bottom