• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

WolvenOne

Just thought I'd pop in and say this.

I really hope that in 3.1, they do something to buff BRD/MCH, or do SOMETHING to make them a more attractive class to play. My static lost our Bard a few weeks ago, and we may be forced to go onto extended hiatus unless we can find another one soon. (Pugging the last spot doesn't work out so well.) Nobody seems to want to play those classes though. We can hardly even find MCH/Bards to pug, they're usually only pugging because their group is taking a weeklong break or something.

Frustrating, because we were starting work on the final phase of A3S before all this happened. >_<;;

Grisby

WOW WOW WOW. The broom is a flying mount?! For some reason I thought it was a minion and thought to myself, why are they doing the broom minion again.

I am definitely participating this year!
I know. Finally I can live out my dreams of re-enacting Kiki's Delivery Service.

dramatis

just wanna pop in to say i finally cleared a3s ; ;
so fuckin tired
wtzgU.gif
Congrats!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Just thought I'd pop in and say this.

I really hope that in 3.1, they do something to buff BRD/MCH, or do SOMETHING to make them a more attractive class to play. My static lost our Bard a few weeks ago, and we may be forced to go onto extended hiatus unless we can find another one soon. (Pugging the last spot doesn't work out so well.) Nobody seems to want to play those classes though. We can hardly even find MCH/Bards to pug, they're usually only pugging because their group is taking a weeklong break or something.

Frustrating, because we were starting work on the final phase of A3S before all this happened. >_<;;
The jobs are already powerful in the right hands (BRD at least, I know nothing of MCH performance. Can't be bad though). It's that nobody wants to play a BLM with a bow/gun.

Highly doubt Yoshi will own up to the dumb decision of turning BRDs into BLMs and change he job back anytime soon.

Ken

Why good BRDs are rare.

Tags for this Thread
se broke it se doesnt understand us check mobility privilege
View Tag Cloud

General consensus on MCH seems to be that it takes more effort than most jobs to put out the job's base DPS so that probably scares people off.

Anyways, I'm sure there's plentiful BRD/MCHs on other servers and it's just Ultros being Ultros.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Anyways, I'm sure there's plentiful BRD/MCHs on other servers and it's just Ultros being Ultros.
The amount of recruitment posts looking for BRDs on /r/ffxivrecruitment back when we were looking for one leads me to believe otherwise.

studyguy

Fuck yall, where are my Paladin buffs.
At least make my mitigation skills relevant to next Savage, thanks.

Also Shield Swipe is currently a legit DPS loss the hell.
In fact, my entire class is a party wide DPS loss.

Ken

Hey man, Hallowed Ground is like 5 Stone IIIs.

Eve will fight anyone who disses PLD dps.

We got an earful lastnight on how people who play it need to stop bitching and learn to stance swap because sword oath is amazing, etc.

He makes it a point to out dps dps when tanking normal alex on his alt.

He has made me believe. That said, I aint leaving my sweet big ass sword. Fuck shields.

studyguy

Thanks but no thanks.
Shield Swipe is still a legitimate DPS loss for a skill that should be used on a proc.

Savage is built against our moveset that requires physical damage.
Sorry but nah bruh.

scy

General consensus on MCH seems to be that it takes more effort than most jobs to put out the job's base DPS so that probably scares people off.

More or less. MCH is very finicky and a lot of button pushing. It's like SMN except with about 7 more inputs? It's fun though. DPS wise, BRD and MCH are both the lowest DPS (well, BRD are kings of A1 with BLMs so idk) but the difference between them and the next two (NIN, SMN) isn't really that big.

Eve will fight anyone who disses PLD dps.

We got an earful lastnight on how people who play it need to stop bitching and learn to stance swap because sword oath is amazing, etc.

He makes it a point to out dps dps when tanking normal alex on his alt.

He has made me believe. That said, I aint leaving my sweet big ass sword. Fuck shields.

Why stance dance when you can just not be in Shield Oath to begin with. It's still the hands down worst of the tank DPS by a large margin.

The amount of recruitment posts looking for BRDs on /r/ffxivrecruitment back when we were looking for one leads me to believe otherwise.

It's the same everywhere else, a ton of groups looking for a BRD/MCN but no one wants to raid as one, or has the chops to.

Tabris

PLD needs a boost or WAR and DRK need a nerf.

Or don't script fights and randomize moves (and balance between magic and physical on bosses), so the cooldown strength actually matters.

Actually they should do that in general. Fuck scripted fights. Reactionary is more fun. Randomize fights with random moves. Two tank busters in a row? Let's do it.

PLD needs a boost or WAR and DRK need a nerf.

Or don't script fights and randomize moves (and balance between magic and physical on bosses), so the cooldown strength actually matters.

Actually they should do that in general. Fuck scripted fights. Reactionary is more fun. Randomize fights with random moves. Two tank busters in a row? Let's do it.

They should redesign tanks entirely in this game. Aside from a single debuff move (maybe 2 on WAR) there is nothing that separates us tanks from dps with just higher defense. We need to be able to do more than just decide when we need to take less damage and actually control the fight more somehow.

I have no idea what that means or how to implement that. Just random thoughts.

What are other MMOs that did tanking differently and well?

studyguy

Everyone gets Fell Cleave.

Every tank can fell cleave. Every DPS can Fell Cleave, even healers get in on that Fell Cleave.

There is literally no reason not to take a WAR into a serious raid situation. If it wasn't for the hit to LB generation you'd just see people run 2 WAR.

I agree the current meta just makes Tanks three legged DPS with different responsibilities. It's silly.

Omni

Got my RavEx White Mage weapon! I'm reaaaally liking the design.

I'm surprised how quickly it took to get 10 clears once I actually had my first one. Not sure if I want to go another 10 for my Bard, but it's on the table if I get bored enough.

Ken

They should redesign tanks entirely in this game. Aside from a single debuff move (maybe 2 on WAR) there is nothing that separates us tanks from dps with just higher defense. We need to be able to do more than just decide when we need to take less damage and actually control the fight more somehow.

I have no idea what that means or how to implement that. Just random thoughts.

What are other MMOs that did tanking differently and well?

Evasion tanks, party buff support tanks, DPS that can trait into offtanks, and tanks with high crowd control ability is the variety of tanks I've seen in MMOs.

Should note I don't get into raiding in most games so I don't know how these tanks pan out usually.

I need some advice. I'm debating getting the DRG esoteric weapon, but the relic the weapon is close enough that I wonder if its a waste of time. I'm sitting on 1800 Esoterics, so I could get the body and pants instead of the weapon, but I could get the weapon today, and the body next week if I did it that way.

Ken

I need some advice. I'm debating getting the DRG esoteric weapon, but the relic the weapon is close enough that I wonder if its a waste of time. I'm sitting on 1800 Esoterics, so I could get the body and pants instead of the weapon, but I could get the weapon today, and the body next week if I did it that way.

Just dump two weeks of Esoterics on body since you can at least glamour that forever. Pretty unique chest piece.

Sorian

Banned
Tanks just need more mechanics to deal with in general. Not letting the A3S boss get blue balls is the most strenuous thing a MT has ever had to do in this game.

Tabris

Tanks just need more mechanics to deal with in general. Not letting the A3S boss get blue balls is the most strenuous thing a MT has ever had to do in this game.

Tanks have to deal with every mechanic that DPS have to deal with in A3S, plus more (tethers, hands, cooldown scripting, etc).

You have a bad perspective of tanks. There's definitely some fights where they aren't doing much but A3S isn't it.

You probably aren't seeing it but tanks are also dealing with tethers along with the positive/negative tethers in phase 4.

EDIT - I would love to be a DPS in A3S where the only mechanic I need to know is "Do I have a debuff? If so I run to C, if not I stand fucking still" and oh no, I have same tether with someone else, I should move to the middle with them. Sluice with having to move back then forward.

The only challenge with DPS in A3S is the actual DPS. That's where the skill comes in.

IvorB

I fully agree with this. Reacting is way better than memorising. I was quite shocked actually to hear about a "boss rotation" when I first started playing this game.

Ken

I actually like the degree of randomization they've let into raid encounters so far. It's not too much that you can blame RNG for everything and not too little that you can just sleep through it.

Tabris

I actually like the degree of randomization they've let into raid encounters so far. It's not too much that you can blame RNG for everything and not too little that you can just sleep through it.

What randomization does A3S have outside of debuffs?

Most MMO fights have the concept of a move set in the boss which they use randomly, then they change forms at another percentage, maybe add spawns then, and it gets a couple more moves which they use randomly, then a last form change where it gets the strongest moves it uses randomly.

And then they usually have an enrage mode to ensure there's no 24hr fights seen in games like Everquest and FFXI.

Valor

Randomness in A3S:
Who gets selected for Protean Wavesx2
Who gets selected for Sluicex2
Who gets Digi debuffs
Where you get pushed during Wash Away
Which hand will receive Total Concentration
Where Adds will spawn
Who gets Drainage tether
Which healer gets Gaoled
Ferrofluid
Puddle arrangement in Tornadoes section

Probably another thing or two I'm forgetting. All of this is RNG and I agree with Ken in that there's a decent bit of randomness to keep things fresh run to run but not too much where it becomes like ugh the game screwed us.

scy

It's about the target assignments from the mechanics (e.g., Ferrofluid / Drainage targets). You can have a general plan for a mechanic but usually who has to execute it isn't known until the mechanic actually happens.

Personally, I prefer scripts with the targeting being random. They can get away with being more punishing while retaining a level of fairness to them. It's sheer execution of a strategy at that point. RNG'd rotations need some kind of leeway into them lest it creates unwinnable pulls or situations of certain patterns being significantly easier than others. This is where you tend to get randomized patterns with simple responses to them.

The only challenge with DPS in A3S is the actual DPS. That's where the skill comes in.

Not like the tank part is that hard to execute either.

I agree the current meta just makes Tanks three legged DPS with different responsibilities. It's silly.

I honestly prefer the DPS focus of the current meta. I imagine there's quite a few tanks that feel the same, and I'd wager its partly why we have as many tanks as we do now. The amount of people willing/wanting to do meat wall tanking is small and always has been historically in most MMOs. Its why even today when you pull up the roulettes they're always looking for Tanks more often than not.

The DPS focus is there to try to get/con people into playing unpopular positions that aren't pure DPSing and I support this fully.

The current meta to me is a lot like hot-roding a small japanese import vs a muscle car, i.e: more fun to try and eke out damage from my DRK than my DRG while still tanking. If not for that tanking would be infinitely more boring in this game and I probably wouldn't be doing it.

Just dump two weeks of Esoterics on body since you can at least glamour that forever. Pretty unique chest piece.

I thought about that. You know at the end of the day its really about lookin clean. I just have a feeling they're gonna make us go through hoops for this next set of relics because of lack of content-turning it into a super grind of sorts. I don't want to screw myself if that's the case

Top Bottom