• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Meciu

So this is how NA/JP has played the game all along, huh? I'm absolutely delighted by the change so far. It's a different game.

nickcv

I'm getting 13 ms pinging the IP from my office (london)
pinging any NA server from the same place I get 80 something.

I wonder how it will be from my flat.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
EuroGAF getting sub-20 ping? Best I can get US is 50. I want a data center that's not in Montreal :(

Or for the mudra fix to actually work. Still having doubts about that, sounds too good to be true.

EuroGAF getting sub-20 ping? Best I can get US is 50. I want a data center that's not in Montreal :(

NA:
Code:
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 103.858/107.460/316.599/21.042 ms

EU:
Code:
100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 23.903/25.726/38.776/1.884 ms

It's okay, I've never seen what low ping is like, so as long as I never level the spare character I have sitting around on Odin I'll never be envious or disappointed o/

plake

I've moved to Odin since this morning. The lag thing makes a world of change honestly. It's also nice to play on a server in your time zone. Feel free to join me if you'd like to.

I just want to thank all nice people in GAF that I've had the pleasure to talk with and play with for the last 18 months. It was a tough decision to leave but I hope I made the right decision!

Take care everyone! You're awesome and I'm a bit sad to go.

<3 /Dani

Dani why you abandon me

<3 Dorky

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I love it. Instead of making more housing wards, they decide to punish players by demolishing houses so you can't take a break in between patches. That makes perfect Yoshida sense.

Tabris

I love it. Instead of making more housing wards, they decide to punish players by demolishing houses so you can't take a break in between patches. That makes perfect Yoshida sense.

You get 80% of your money back and all your removable furniture (I still don't understand non-removable furniture).

I think it's perfect as it allows people to get houses that are abandoned essentially, and keeps the neighbourhoods with only active players so they don't become ghost towns.

Tomat

You get 80% of your money back and all your removable furniture (I still don't understand non-removable furniture).

I think it's perfect as it allows people to get houses that are abandoned essentially, and keeps the neighbourhoods with only active players so they don't become ghost towns.
Guessing that most "active" houses will have players who drop by every now and then just so they don't lose their house.

Kintaro

Ignoring that huge elephant in the room (make more plot?), housing wards with active players are ghost towns anyways!

This is a silly way of doing it. Only time most people hit up their houses is when an event comes around to put more shit in it. Lol

Instead of solving this in a better way, Yoshi and crew chooses the way that punishes players. Lovely.

Tabris

Ignoring that huge elephant in the room (make more plot?), housing wards with active players are ghost towns anyways!\

This is a silly way of doing it. Only time most people hit up their houses is when an event comes around to put more shit in it. Lol

Instead of solving this in a better way, Yoshi and crew chooses the way that punishes players. Lovely.

How would making more plots make a neighbourhood more active?

Also not sure how this is much of a punishment? You get most of your gil and furniture back.

Kintaro

How would making more plots make a neighbourhood more active?

Also not sure how this is much of a punishment? You get most of your gil and furniture back.

How does punishing a player make a neighborhood more active? It wont because the next set of people will do the same thing.

Can you name me some MMOs that actively punishes a player for taking a break from the game? I dont think you can name me many. In fact, MMOs give you things to come back. Not take them away. The gil isnt important. Otherwise no one would have spent the gil for the house. That person wanted and got that house in game. Its not the players fault that the company wont add more housing. Its not the players fault that the company took forever inbetween major content releases that may have made them take that break. Yet they will be pinished for it. What sense does this make? Its bad customer service. Period.

A player you punish is less likely to even come back. How does that help the game? Especially when the solution is clear. You make more goddamned houses!

WolvenOne

Just to get this out of the way. They've been talking about removing inactive players from the housing districts for ages now, and 45 days seems fair to me. Oh sure, it does mean that you cannot take a prolonged break without losing your house. However you do get most of your Gil back. Also they didn't say they wouldn't add more wards in the future, in fact they explicitly said they would be, in the form of Ishgard housing. That said, there is an upper limit to the # of lots they can add, at least in a given timeframe. A LOT of the current lots are filled to capacity, and a number of those players aren't even playing the game anymore. It'd be nice to replace a number of them with more active players.

Now that that's out of the way.

There's a lot more Halloween furniture then I expected. I think I'll probably end up hitting this event hard, since I'll be wanting to make use of it all for a few weeks. XD

PS: They could further alleviate these kinds of issues by allowing players to sell their current houses directly to other players, without having to set up an FC.

Kintaro

Just to get this out of the way. They've been talking about removing inactive players from the housing districts for ages now, and 45 days seems fair to me. Oh sure, it does mean that you cannot take a prolonged break without losing your house. However you do get most of your Gil back. Also they didn't say they wouldn't add more wards in the future, in fact they explicitly said they would be, in the form of Ishgard housing. That said, there is an upper limit to the # of lots they can add, at least in a given timeframe. A LOT of the current lots are filled to capacity, and a number of those players aren't even playing the game anymore. It'd be nice to replace a number of them with more active players.

Now that that's out of the way.

There's a lot more Halloween furniture then I expected. I think I'll probably end up hitting this event hard, since I'll be wanting to make use of it all for a few weeks. XD

Just because they have been talking about it doesnt make it a smart idea. The gil returned does not matter. They are removing an item that you purchased in game. Name any other MMO that takes things away from a player, inactive or not.

They have had FOREVER to add new wards in addition to any Ishgardian housing and they havent. Players who have been waiting for housing should have been screaming from the rooftops to be serviced instead of waiting or wanting to remove things from orher players. This is SE way of covering for their own fuck ups and its bad service.

WolvenOne

I also wonder if, the upcoming shared housing system will interact with this in some way. IE: if your house is still being accessed by somebody who you have given shared ownership rights, does it still count as being inactive?

Because while I do mostly support this system, there should be a method of extending out that time for players that fully intend on coming back, but need to unsub for more than a month. Thing is though, I bet most of the players that'll lose their houses probably aren't coming back. There are lots in my ward that haven't shown signs of life since last year.

dramatis

Just because they have been talking about it doesnt make it a smart idea. The gil returned does not matter. They are removing an item that you purchased in game. Name any other MMO that takes things away from a player, inactive or not.

They have had FOREVER to add new wards in addition to any Ishgardian housing and they havent. Players who have been waiting for housing should have been screaming from the rooftops to be serviced instead of waiting or wanting to remove things from orher players. This is SE way of covering for their own fuck ups and its bad service.
I think that it's not possible to fulfill these demands because chances are, their budget is getting squeezed. They're paying for servers for EU, that's entirely more important than housing servers. And it took them two years to get servers for EU general play. Maybe the dev team should have come up with a better process for player housing. But the implementation they made is apparently server intensive (I would know, because I play PS3, and it takes much longer to load in housing areas than other areas), and now it's too late to replace the whole system with something that could work with what they're limited to.

If I'm not mistaken, all MMOs delete accounts at their will. I'm pretty sure the Terms & Services of all MMOs will probably have paragraphs telling you that the company can do what they want with your in-game stuff. When an MMO ends its service it is taking away all players' things. So yeah, they all do it. These is the terms you agreed on. Is it right? Probably not. But that's what it is.

Garlador

I play but I take breaks. 45 days is too freaking short. :[

That's my stance.

I play the game quite devotedly... but then I take extended breaks to, you know, play other games (such as other Final Fantasy games), or simply because I'm waiting several months for a new update to check out.

45 days is basically not paying your monthly sub for a single month and a half. That's pretty short.

4-6 months would've been far more logical, and even then I'd still have some issues with it.

I don't like being "punished" for taking a hiatus from time to come. I'll come back, but i'd like to come back when I'M ready, not when I have to otherwise the Yakuza will demolish my house.

If I'm not mistaken, all MMOs delete accounts at their will. I'm pretty sure the Terms & Services of all MMOs will probably have paragraphs telling you that the company can do what they want with your in-game stuff. When an MMO ends its service it is taking away all players' things. So yeah, they all do it. These is the terms you agreed on. Is it right? Probably not. But that's what it is.
The "it's not right" and also "it's not smart" approach is what people are upset with. They can do what they want; doesn't mean they SHOULD.

Especially since a "punished" player who loses their stuff is far less likely to return to the game than one that gets rewarded for coming back.

Wait, you're not in Europe but you moved to EU server? Why?

Is this the same as you changing jobs every single Coil turn?

You moved to get a late night crew right? Have you tried the bigger NA servers; I would be surprised if even the largest NA servers don't have a decent late community.

Have you tested your ping to JP servers? If it's better you could join something like Tonberry.

I've been on an EU server for awhile and I'm only on one because I work graveyard shift and NA servers are pretty much dead during the daytime...;_;

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The whole housing system stinks. I am not sure why they just cannot spawn more wards as the current ones fill. Much older games have been able to do that. At the very least they should just give us an option to buy a house in it's own instance if the neighborhoods are too resource taxing to add more.

WolvenOne

Yup, should be at least 90 days. Preferably 120.

I mean, I can see 45 days for the initial batch, since they haven't been counting days for the past year. I kinda hope they extend the inactive period to 90 days after this first batch. If somebody decides they want to take a break for a single patch cycle, they lose their housing, that's a bit much.

The whole housing system stinks. I am not sure why they just cannot spawn more wards as the current ones fill. Much older games have been able to do that. At the very least they should just give us an option to buy a house in it's own instance if the neighborhoods are too resource taxing to add more.

I mean, they do, it's just the Personal Rooms that FC's use. Problem is that people want a yard, so a lot of players ignore those. Anyhow, I don't think it's possible to add more lots endlessly, since they're using fixed zones instead of instances. Besides, I do kinda get annoyed with all the ghost houses.

Honestly, they probably should've made Small lots instanced, and kept the housing wards for Medium and Large lots. Too late to change it at this point however.

ReaperXL7

It really drives me crazy when people scream for nerfing classes/jobs when they see people do something really awesome and different from then normal way of approaching content. I'll never understand why people have such a strong desire that every class in a given role plays exactly the same or is effected by the same things.

People claiming that Warriors need a nerf because a few people are so good that they can clear old as hell EX primals is just nonsense. If anything what SE should be doing is bringing Paladin up from where they are, not bringing Warrior down and nerfing what the job is ment for. I think its awesome that there is a tank for people who like to turtle (paladin) people who like to tank aggressively (warrior) and alittle of both with Dark Knight.

I really hope that the devs don't cave to this nonsense, but when I look back on how cool it was when people were able to clear EX Ram with Titan egi and then that got killed real quick so i'm sure Warriors are going to take a hit because of this stuff.

It just sucks that people wont seem to quit until all of the jobs are completely Homogeneous where if anything I think they should make the jobs even more different from each other.

BadRNG

Am I crazy or didn't they already have an inactive housing system, at like 30 days or something? I think that one cleared if anyone went in period though, not just the owner.

People claiming that Warriors need a nerf because a few people are so good that they can clear old as hell EX primals is just nonsense. If anything what SE should be doing is bringing Paladin up from where they are, not bringing Warrior down and nerfing what the job is ment for. I think its awesome that there is a tank for people who like to turtle (paladin) people who like to tank aggressively (warrior) and alittle of both with Dark Knight.

It just sucks that people wont seem to quit until all of the jobs are completely Homogeneous where if anything I think they should make the jobs even more different from each other.
Haven't seen anyone asking for a WAR nerf because of soloing old content, I've seen plenty though because of what they can do in current content. Primarily in that they have no real weaknesses, are the best OT, an extremely good MT regardless of fight, have the best tank damage, and have the best utility. PLD/DRK pairings just are straight inferior to a WAR/X combo. PLD/DRK are also heavily impacted by the type of damage being done in the fight, are punished more for stance dancing, and can't do equal damage either when OTing or MTing.

Personally I don't want to see them nerfed, rather I'd like PLD/DRK to get some slight buffs to make them on par (and that's usually the route SE takes to begin with) but it's not like those sorts of complaints are unfounded. Being special snowflake class with specific uses sounds great on paper but it doesn't always work in practice if balance is your goal. People who think homogeneity is a class design sin make me laugh, as if almost every good class change we have seen in this game wasn't specifically made with that goal in mind. WAR's are only as good as they are now because they completely redid how their playstyle worked to make them more in line with PLD. DRG's got thrown a bone for their combos work more like MNK's, and their magic defense was brought up to normal levels

WolvenOne

It really drives me crazy when people scream for nerfing classes/jobs when they see people do something really awesome and different from then normal way of approaching content. I'll never understand why people have such a strong desire that every class in a given role plays exactly the same or is effected by the same things.

People claiming that Warriors need a nerf because a few people are so good that they can clear old as hell EX primals is just nonsense. If anything what SE should be doing is bringing Paladin up from where they are, not bringing Warrior down and nerfing what the job is ment for. I think its awesome that there is a tank for people who like to turtle (paladin) people who like to tank aggressively (warrior) and a little of both with Dark Knight.

I really hope that the devs don't cave to this nonsense, but when I look back on how cool it was when people were able to clear EX Ram with Titan egi and then that got killed real quick so i'm sure Warriors are going to take a hit because of this stuff.

Yeeeeeaaah, I honestly don't get that. It'd be one thing if Warriors had a massive advantage for current content, but we don't. Our DPS is good, but not so good that you would bring another Warrior in place of an equally geared equally competent DPS. We're the best for the OT position mind you, but I think DRK's make slightly better MT's, and PLD's are probably still better turtles.

I mean, yea PLD could use a subtle buff for their damage/enmity output, but that's a different box of crackers.

Valor

Am I crazy or didn't they already have an inactive housing system, at like 30 days or something? I think that one cleared if anyone went in period though, not just the owner.
I thought they announced it would be a thing but it never really turned on or something. Regardless, it definitely isn't in effect right now.

Yeeeeeaaah, I honestly don't get that. It'd be one thing if Warriors had a massive advantage for current content, but we don't. Our DPS is good, but not so good that you would bring another Warrior in place of an equally geared equally competent DPS. We're the best for the OT position mind you, but I think DRK's make slightly better MT's, and PLD's are probably still better turtles.

I mean, yea PLD could use a subtle buff for their damage/enmity output, but that's a different box of crackers.
Subtle is the understatement of the year. Their DPS pales in comparison to WAR and DRK, and their kits are nearly identical with the exception of Hallowed Ground. You could definitely bring a Warrior in lieu of another DPS and not skip a beat. You need a very good Warrior, sure, but the fact that it's in the mix could be a problem.

However I agree the answer is to bring classes up, not swing nerf bats around all willy nilly. Enmity isn't an issue on any of the classes, however. It's all about the damage output.

WolvenOne

I thought they announced it would be a thing but it never really turned on or something. Regardless, it definitely isn't in effect right now.

Subtle is the understatement of the year. Their DPS pales in comparison to WAR and DRK, and their kits are nearly identical with the exception of Hallowed Ground. You could definitely bring a Warrior in lieu of another DPS and not skip a beat. You need a very good Warrior, sure, but the fact that it's in the mix could be a problem.

However I agree the answer is to bring classes up, not swing nerf bats around all willy nilly. Enmity isn't an issue on any of the classes, however. It's all about the damage output.

Don't DRK's do more damage in the MT position, or did I his-hear? I mean, I don't mind Warrior being the ideal OT with DRK and PLD being better MT's, it just seems like PLD damage output is low enough that there's no reason to pick them over a DRK or War.

Either way, seems like PLD needs a bit of a buff.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Can someone tell me kindly where RAGNAROK was before the Chaos Server? I mean in which server till today was it located?

ebil

Can someone tell me kindly where RAGNAROK was before the Chaos Server? I mean in which server till today was it located?
Ragnarok always was in the Chaos data center. The data center was moved from Montreal, Canada to Düsseldorf, Germany.

Kudo

Good lord the EU Data center does wonders to DPS, we saw 9% increase on A1S in the first phase, with US we usually got him to 59% now he was down to 50%, didn't even use potions and both A1-2S went down in around 20 minutes I think.
Great job!

Tomat

Good lord the EU Data center does wonders to DPS, we saw 9% increase on A1S in the first phase, with US we usually got him to 59% now he was down to 50%, didn't even use potions and both A1-2S went down in around 20 minutes I think.
Great job!
God damn that's awesome

scy

The only reason WAR/WAR isn't the de facto best combination is due to LB generation.

ebil

Great job!
I can't wait to see how it affects our performance, won't be able to raid before Sunday though. ;_;

IvorB

This is my big dilemma. All this cool-looking gear and being unable to decide which one to use.

I also don't want to glamour any gear under my max level when I know there's just going to be better gear a few levels up. So I stick with gear I don't like looking at until then.

Such a petty problem, but I'm a petty person. I like looking good, dang it.

Glamour is serious business. It costs a fortune.

Just that you can get stuff done in PF in EU primetime as opposed to an US server where it's pretty much dead right now. I don't have that problem on Ragnarok

I dunno. PF is usually pretty populated but maybe it's the wrong kind of stuff.

I've moved to Odin since this morning. The lag thing makes a world of change honestly. It's also nice to play on a server in your time zone. Feel free to join me if you'd like to.

I just want to thank all nice people in GAF that I've had the pleasure to talk with and play with for the last 18 months. It was a tough decision to leave but I hope I made the right decision!

Take care everyone! You're awesome and I'm a bit sad to go.

<3 /Dani

<3 Dorky

Aw you left already. Screenshot PF and post pls. :)

Because their server system sucks and they aren't able to do that, nor will they admit to being cheap about how they have things set up. Having houses in their own instance wouldn't fix anything either, since they would still be held on the same server they use for current housing. It wouldn't matter if everyone was together or apart, they would still cause load issues on the server. Until they actually do something about their servers, no amount of bandaid fixes will be enough.

Sylas

Genuine question, but what do non-roleplayers do with MMO housing after the house has been decorated besides chocobo coloring, airship stuff and gardening (which hasn't had a use in a while now)?

Top Bottom