• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

dramatis

Genuine question, but what do non-roleplayers do with MMO housing after the house has been decorated besides chocobo coloring, airship stuff and gardening (which hasn't had a use in a while now)?
Putting a Moogle on the ceiling, obviously

Right now it's mostly the anticipation of content through airships.

Technically, gardening has continuous use, but because then resources for it are continuous, sustaining a long term, fully loaded garden is a bit strenuous. It's been dialed back until the advent of minion trouble.

Sylas

I have to imagine all of the airship content is going to be available without a personalized FC airship.

Like, it's both kinda shitty and not. On one hand you potentially lock a lot of people out of content for not being able to get a house (which is one of the few limited resources in the game), but on the other what's the point of having the FC airship if you don't need to use it to access the content?

As for the gardening thing--that's true, I forgot that some things are only obtainable through gardening. My server's MB is so saturated with just about everything that comes from gardening it's probably easier to just buy the items you want, though. It's strange.

WolvenOne

I have to imagine all of the airship content is going to be available without a personalized FC airship.

Like, it's both kinda shitty and not. On one hand you potentially lock a lot of people out of content for not being able to get a house (which is one of the few limited resources in the game), but on the other what's the point of having the FC airship if you don't need to use it to access the content?

As for the gardening thing--that's true, I forgot that some things are only obtainable through gardening. My server's MB is so saturated with just about everything that comes from gardening it's probably easier to just buy the items you want, though. It's strange.

There'll be a public airship available through the airship port at Ishgard.

Genuine question, but what do non-roleplayers do with MMO housing after the house has been decorated besides chocobo coloring, airship stuff and gardening (which hasn't had a use in a while now)?

I generally like to tinker around with my decor. Big problem I'm having right now, is that since I only have a Small Lot, I don't really have enough space to do everything I want. I'd like to try to make a dedicated kitchen, but I can't. I'd like to make a dedicated bedroom, company room, library, etc etc etc. Instead I'm forced to combine a lot of functions into a single room, which kinda limits my decorating options.

plake

Glamour is serious business. It costs a fortune.

I dunno. PF is usually pretty populated but maybe it's the wrong kind of stuff.

Aw you left already. Screenshot PF and post pls. :)

I just logged off but it was between 12-20 listings all day with a lot of people looking for members for AS statics, A1S pugs, coil farming, some fate groups etc. Basically a lot of raiding it seems.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I just logged off but it was between 12-20 listings all day with a lot of people looking for members for AS statics, A1S pugs, coil farming, some fate groups etc. Basically a lot of raiding it seems.
Ultros am cry

aceface

Cheap transport to market board, vendor, and mender.

Sifl

That thing when the server doesn't register you're oGCD skill has been happening a lot today. Had to use Dragonfire Dive 3 times in A1 earlier before it worked.

Squishy3

That thing when the server doesn't register you're oGCD skill has been happening a lot today. Had to use Dragonfire Dive 3 times in A1 earlier before it worked.
I haven't noticed any issues but I also haven't ran Alex in awhile and whenever I got really bad lag it was always in Alex...

But yeah, when you cast something and you see it cast but then it rolls back is the worst. It's really infuriating when it happens to something like BOTD.

So instead of moving the NA data center or better yet having a West and East Coast NA data center so they could improve pings for NA players, they instead make it so you can't unsub even if you take breaks unless you want your house to be deleted. Instead of improving the game for the majority of Western players, they try to fuck us in the ass for more sub money instead.

I paid for this game for 2 years and now I'm on hiatus until a major patch and this is how I'm treated. How about a nice cup of go fuck yourselves.

I've been playing MMOs since Asheron's Call and this is the first game which has tried to pull bullshit like this on me. I never played UO or ArcheAge but for people who bring those games up, those are games with truly persistent houses which are actually in the game world. That's a bit different from FFXIV where Squenix could add an unlimited number of wards if they weren't so fucking cheap and unwilling to invest back into the game which has just now started making them money and turned their reputation around after the failure of the original FFXIV 1.0.

Garlador

So instead of moving the NA data center or better yet having a West and East Coast NA data center so they could improve pings for NA players, they instead make it so you can't unsub even if you take breaks unless you want your house to be deleted. Instead of improving the game for the majority of Western players, they try to fuck us in the ass for more sub money instead.

I paid for this game for 2 years and now I'm on hiatus until a major patch and this is how I'm treated. How about a nice cup of go fuck yourselves.

I've been playing MMOs since Asheron's Call and this is the first game which has tried to pull bullshit like this on me. I never played UO or ArcheAge but for people who bring those games up, those are games with truly persistent houses which are actually in the game world. That's a bit different from FFXIV where Squenix could add an unlimited number of wards if they weren't so fucking cheap and unwilling to invest back into the game which has just now started making them money and turned their reputation around after the failure of the original FFXIV 1.0.

I know WHY they're doing it ("that'll encourage people to stay subscribed or re-subscribe!" I'm sure was the pitch at the meeting), but I think it'll hurt long-term.

That's just not how you should do things. It never pays off to be withholding or to punish or threaten a player's INVESTMENT if they take a break. They should simply offer enticing incentives to return to the game that reward them instead.

At least they listen to fans, deeply and sincerely, so I hope the backlash will cause them to drop this or amend it. Right now, it's a pretty egregious misstep for what should be a very small and pleasant diversion in the game... but one that many people have put a lot of time and gil into.

WolvenOne

Just for the record, no they could not add unlimited Housing Wards, because they ARE persistent areas anyone can visit at any time. This is not a case of personal instancing, each ward is essentially a zone with small editable area's within each.

I might also note that, it looks like they might, "Might," be counting anyone that you assign sharing rights too may count as an owner. So after they implement the system where you can share your house with a number of players, you should be able to take a prolonged break, so long as at least one of those people doesn't also log out of the game for 45 days as well.

Granted, that's somewhat speculative on my part, basing it off some odd phrasing within the announcement.

Garlador

Just for the record, no they could not add unlimited Housing Wards, because they ARE persistent areas anyone can visit at any time. This is not a case of personal instancing, each ward is essentially a zone with small editable area's within each.

I might also note that, it looks like they might, "Might," be counting anyone that you assign sharing rights too may count as an owner. So after they implement the system where you can share your house with a number of players, you should be able to take a prolonged break, so long as at least one of those people doesn't also log out of the game for 45 days as well.

Granted, that's somewhat speculative on my part, basing it off some odd phrasing within the announcement.

Yeah, it's pretty unclear verbiage. Like, I just bought a private room in my company's house and I'm unclear if that vanishes if I take a break. Or if I'm logged in and our FC doesn't check-in, does it still get demolished because we were all too busy and not messing with it for just a single month and a half? We don't even know, if it does get demolished, what stuff gets demolished along with it, and which stuff is salvaged from the demolishing.

I'm sure they'll clarify, but right now it's a big ball of WTF.

Squishy3

Yeah, it's pretty unclear verbiage. Like, I just bought a private room in my company's house and I'm unclear if that vanishes if I take a break. Or if I'm logged in and our FC doesn't check-in, does it still get demolished because we were all too busy and not messing with it for just a single month and a half? We don't even know, if it does get demolished, what stuff gets demolished along with it, and which stuff is salvaged from the demolishing.

I'm sure they'll clarify, but right now it's a big ball of WTF.
Private rooms won't be affected by inactivity of the person who owns the room, it's a part of the FC house. If nobody in the FC goes in the house for 45 days, everything's demolished.

Re: Furnishings: When an estate has been demolished, gil and certain furnishings will be placed in the care of the resident caretaker for a fixed period of time.

Redeemable from the Resident Caretaker
80% of the price paid for the estate grounds.
Indoor and outdoor furnishings that are not destroyed upon removal.

The construction permit required to build an estate.
Furnishings destroyed upon removal.
Housing exteriors.
Private chambers.
Company workshops and any registered airships in the workshop.

You then have 35 days after demolition to retrieve your stuff from the resident caretaker.

The steps piror to demolishing are pretty clear cut too. At thirty days, it shows that demolition is coming up in the Timers tab, so in the case of a FC, it's extremely unlikely at least one member won't see it, but obviously this won't do anything for someone who has a private estate and is unsubbed. At thirty-five days, an email is sent to all free company members, or, in the case of private estates, to the owner of the plot. There's another one sent to all members of the FC or owner of a private estate at 42 days.

I'd say at this point the only thing that needs to be changed is the length of time (60 or 90 days versus 45) but everything else seems perfectly reasonable.

I mean, there's a large plot in the ward my house is in that's owned by a 1 person FC who hasn't logged in for a long time.

Sifl

Does win trading happen in pvp? I just had a really... odd match. Other people were saying it was, but I wouldn't know. The adders were feeding the flames kills the whole match, and had 0 points up until the final minute. There was a ridiculous amount of people with Battle high/Fever on the Flames, and they just rolled in and slaughtered us near the middle/end. I don't know if it definitively was win trading, but it was kinda suspicious since they were engaging them constantly and getting massacred.

Ken

Does win trading happen in pvp? I just had a really... odd match. Other people were saying it was, but I wouldn't know. The adders were feeding the flames kills the whole match, and had 0 points up until the final minute. There was a ridiculous amount of people with Battle high/Fever on the Flames, and they just rolled in and slaughtered us near the middle/end. I don't know if it definitively was win trading, but it was kinda suspicious since they were engaging them constantly and getting massacred.

No that's called feeding and the third alliance being too cozy with towers.

Squishy3

capping esos from pvp is so much more exhilarating than from expert roulette even though expert roulette is faster

probably because i haven't been repeating the content for nearly 4 months, but still.

Squishy3

I'd agree if most people's intentions weren't to dick around and get their esos instead of actually trying.
I haven't gotten into any extremely one-sided matches though, it's generally pretty close between at least two companies while the third one typically just farts around.

Meciu

Good lord the EU Data center does wonders to DPS, we saw 9% increase on A1S in the first phase, with US we usually got him to 59% now he was down to 50%, didn't even use potions and both A1-2S went down in around 20 minutes I think.
Great job!

We had an even bigger increase yesterday! Ppl were like crazy happy and everyone could not belive that it would do such wonders to our gameplay! Everyone was like WTF I can do 3-4 skills more in a rotation now? + no problem 2 x OGC during a GDC? WTF is dis? EU gonna rock hard from now on! :D

lewisgone

I heard people talking about a way to play the PS4 version of FFXIV without the disc, but when I tried to use the method I couldn't find it in my library. Did they change it so you can't do it anymore?

Edit: I think whatever that reddit thread was about has been changed or fixed because I definitely can't do It, which is a shame. I don't mind using discs but my PS4 glitched out and ejected my disc last night while playing so I was pretty annoyed. Touch-sensitive buttons are the worst idea, they drive me absolutely crazy.

IvorB

I heard people talking about a way to play the PS4 version of FFXIV without the disc, but when I tried to use the method I couldn't find it in my library. Did they change it so you can't do it anymore?

Edit: I think whatever that reddit thread was about has been changed or fixed because I definitely can't do It, which is a shame. I don't mind using discs but my PS4 glitched out and ejected my disc last night while playing so I was pretty annoyed. Touch-sensitive buttons are the worst idea, they drive me absolutely crazy.

Well you could try deleting your current install and then installing the trial version from PSN. When you log into this it will update with all the new files. This is how I reinstalled after my PS4 was replaced.

Kudo

We had an even bigger increase yesterday! Ppl were like crazy happy and everyone could not belive that it would do such wonders to our gameplay! Everyone was like WTF I can do 3-4 skills more in a rotation now? + no problem 2 x OGC during a GDC? WTF is dis? EU gonna rock hard from now on! :D

Yup, it was random try for us too I'm sure the increase is more when everyone learns the new lagless rotations and can pop pots.
Really happy about the servers too, kinda shame it took this long though!

dramatis

As a newish player that wanted to get back into FFXIV, i wonder what server should i go to?

Im in australia, and i keep reading tonberry, but its restricted :(
You can try to get in on Tonberry when they have open times. Tonberry is unofficially the Australian server, so you'll probably find your brethren there.

Database? I know when 2.5 came out adders and mael were wintrading slaughter wins.

studyguy

Yeah been playing PvP almost exclusively with my raid group now.
Almost maxed out on it. It's actually been a hell of a lot of fun just playing PvP with friends.

Qvoth

just wanna pop in to say i finally cleared a3s ; ;
so fuckin tired
wtzgU.gif

Cmagus

Housing is a disaster the way they have it currently. The wards have been full for months now, some people or groups own half blocks on our server it's not a very well though out system and not very fair to most players.

I think it's fine to keep the wards for FC housing but for personal housing they really need to instance it and allow people to go to your house in other means.

Top Bottom