• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Ken

I am looking for some sort of compiled list of things you can do daily/weekly at max level for combat, crafting, and gathering classes. I keep seeing people talk about stuff i didn't know existed, and im sure there is more. I had no luck googling it up. Anyone know of something like that?

I only started playing right before the expansion, and now that im max level again, i wanna make sure i'm not missing anything I could be doing.

In game go to Duty > Timers and that lists a bunch of "daily" stuff.

You also have your duty roulettes and daily/weekly clan hunt marks.

I don't think DRK has a place as OT.

PLD/WAR
DRK/WAR
WAR/PLD

Why? In OT dps potential or in defense/agro/self healing?

I wonder if the WAR's crit chance/damage potential flatten out over time to make it roughly equal with the flat 15% bonus from darkside DRK

Ken

Why? In OT dps potential or in defense/agro/self healing?

Just going off what I've heard but it sounds like they have a lot of stuff that requires getting hit to work. Otherwise they just spam the same combo over and over for DPS. Would be passing up OT WAR's debuffs (and probably better DPS) or PLD's DPS + support abilities.

Just going off what I've heard but it sounds like they have a lot of stuff that requires getting hit to work. Otherwise they just spam the same combo over and over for DPS. Would be passing up OT WAR's debuffs (and probably better DPS) or PLD's DPS + support abilities.

The off combo, MP regen move is the only one that really requires being hit, but it does lack the slashing buff. DRK have the -10% INT though.

The additional DoT might help lessen the gap if there is one, but some of the later moves really are a bummer with zero utility. The enmity gaining heal aoe cone is so disappointing is both effect and use outside of big dungeon pulls and sole survivor has zero attack bonuses, just a slight health/mp bump on a death.

I said it before, but the biggest benefit is probably DRK ability to hold agro off tank stance, with Dark Arts, which might help burst some adds.

But man, PLD is still king. Cant imagine a group not using one.

Fee

In game go to Duty > Timers and that lists a bunch of "daily" stuff.

You also have your duty roulettes and daily/weekly clan hunt marks.

I read about certain things that can only mine during set times of the day today. And i haven't even touched the gold saucer yet, i meant on a wider scope then roulette's and raids.

MogCakes

Gotta love that exp wall at 55 to 56. It broke my addiction at least. Temporarily. Gave me time to buy a 00 screwdriver so I can finally fix my R1 button.

Hasney

Gotta love that exp wall at 55 to 56. It broke my addiction at least. Temporarily. Gave me time to buy a 00 screwdriver so I can finally fix my R1 button.

Well it throws all those side quests at you for a refund as on... Those God awful fund moogle bastard shitty fucking rage inducing side effects quests.

I didn't resub this month, but the expansion has been tempting me to come back already... lol.

What new spells/abilities did WHM get? Anything interesting/fun?

Phenomic

How much does it jump up? Trying to level 3 classes (at least). Experience walls are going to be scary for me pretty soon I'm guessing.

iammeiam

I think it's also may have been an issue that so many people were playing bard because of the perceived ease of use. Really, unless you are a masochist like scy why would you have played summoner over bard? Now if you are ranged, you have to deal with cast times. If you want to run around and fire off abilities you can go melee.

Be fair, though--there was an obvious difference between a bard who has a grasp on the class and one who doesn't. Like, hundreds of DPS between "trying" and "not trying", and hundred+ between that and actually good. You couldn't be almost-max-potential-bard with zero effort. And even max-potential-bard got its ass kicked by other classes.

The tradeoff for mobility was a lower DPS ceiling overall. Bard wasn't a particularly difficult class but--spoilers--Minuet doesn't make it harder it just makes it less fun. After the initial adjustment period, it's arguably easier because now I don't have to worry about keeping up dots or anything during movement; I literally can't. Now I mash Feint until they fix it, later I'll do nothing or turn off Minuet and go back to playing how I played before. Even the highly mobile fights in the 60 dungeons aren't harder with Minuet on, I just enjoy them less. Instead of trying to weave everything without delaying a GCD, I accept that all my GCDs are getting delayed or dropped and just stare at cast bars all day. Minuet bard verges on boring when I don't have to move, and annoying when I do.

The guaranteed slot argument is laughable--the tanks and healers each had guaranteed slots, too, but nobody seems to think that made them lazy and half-ass it. Machinist should have been an alternative to bard. All they've done is create two messy physical ranged damage classes, suck the fun out of bard, and still probably require you to bring one of the two to a raid. And if MCH is as messed up as it sounds like it was, you'll still be bringing a bard. Even if they can't cope with Minuet.

Reprisal is their biggest utility and it's off-Parry.

Oh true, i forgot about its additional effect. And its a 30 second cool down too for a 10 second effect. And Dark Dance only adds 30% chance to parry.

Dark Arts should combo with it to make that higher.

Edit: oh 20 seconds at least.

Please help.

I just unlocked the Bismarck fight (both attempts so far failed, yay!) and I'm still missing two currents in the Sea of Clouds. One is from defeating Bismarck, but the other, I'm pretty sure that one is at 27,27. I've gone over the map extensively and haven't found a way to get up there yet. I'm thinking I might have access to the area after I'm done fighting the whale, but I might be wrong.

Can anyone assist? Is it possible to have all the findable currents in the Sea of Clouds before you fight Bismarck?

Nibiru

Banned
Well it throws all those side quests at you for a refund as on... Those God awful fund moogle bastard shitty fucking rage inducing side effects quests.

The guy that thought so many find the moogle quests was a good idea should be reassigned to another game.

Kudo

Soon 52 DRK and finally Tataru spoke! In the quest where
you have to prove your innocence.
Or did I just miss her earlier?
I'm going to have to rewatch that somehow later..

WolvenOne

Please help.

I just unlocked the Bismarck fight (both attempts so far failed, yay!) and I'm still missing two currents in the Sea of Clouds. One is from defeating Bismarck, but the other, I'm pretty sure that one is at 27,27. I've gone over the map extensively and haven't found a way to get up there yet. I'm thinking I might have access to the area after I'm done fighting the whale, but I might be wrong.

Can anyone assist? Is it possible to have all the findable currents in the Sea of Clouds before you fight Bismarck?

One current doesn't become available until you finish a quest that starts in Ishgard, near house Fortemps. It seems that is a common one to overlook.

creid

Gotta love that exp wall at 55 to 56. It broke my addiction at least. Temporarily..
It certainly ended my love affair with 3.0. I never want to see a goddamn moogle again. Dear everyone: do your daily roulettes for xp, don't be like me!

aceface

Be fair, though--there was an obvious difference between a bard who has a grasp on the class and one who doesn't. Like, hundreds of DPS between "trying" and "not trying", and hundred+ between that and actually good. You couldn't be almost-max-potential-bard with zero effort. And even max-potential-bard got its ass kicked by other classes.

The tradeoff for mobility was a lower DPS ceiling overall. Bard wasn't a particularly difficult class but--spoilers--Minuet doesn't make it harder it just makes it less fun. After the initial adjustment period, it's arguably easier because now I don't have to worry about keeping up dots or anything during movement; I literally can't. Now I mash Feint until they fix it, later I'll do nothing or turn off Minuet and go back to playing how I played before. Even the highly mobile fights in the 60 dungeons aren't harder with Minuet on, I just enjoy them less. Instead of trying to weave everything without delaying a GCD, I accept that all my GCDs are getting delayed or dropped and just stare at cast bars all day. Minuet bard verges on boring when I don't have to move, and annoying when I do.

Yes bard traded off dps for mobility...in an optomized group. But I've seen a great bard out dps average to mediocre players of other classes plenty of times. In the end I don't think the dps discrepancy was enough to dissuade lots of people from going bard. And since bard was considered by lots of people to be a lot more fun, why would people go caster? What bard is dealing with now is what blm and SMN dealt with since day one yes? So if SE was faced with a situation where there were say, 3 times as many bards as summoners, they are doing to nerf bard (fun nerf?) which they unfortunately did and give summoner cool ass shit. There may have been a better way to deal with the situation I suppose which didn't involve pissing off every bard.

One current doesn't become available until you finish a quest that starts in Ishgard, near house Fortemps. It seems that is a common one to overlook.

So it's a quest current? Cause I have all of those except for the one you get for beating Bismarck.

The one I'm looking for is an exploration current, I've uncovered the area on the map, but I can't actually get up there. I'm pretty sure it's the one at 27,27.

Edit:

I think I just figured it out. Thanks!

RK9039

So it's a quest current? Cause I have all of those except for the one you get for beating Bismarck.

The one I'm looking for is an exploration current, I've uncovered the area on the map, but I can't actually get up there. I'm pretty sure it's the one at 27,27.

You can't actually get up there, you need to fly to get there. I think the one you're missing is south of that Vanu camp, right on the edge. That's the one that gave me trouble and I thought it was on the island above too.

IMBored

Yes bard traded off dps for mobility...in an optomized group. But I've seen a great bard out dps average to mediocre players of other classes plenty of times. In the end I don't think the dps discrepancy was enough to dissuade lots of people from going bard. And since bard was considered by lots of people to be a lot more fun, why would people go caster? What bard is dealing with now is what blm and SMN dealt with since day one yes? So if SE was faced with a situation where there were say, 3 times as many bards as summoners, they are doing to nerf bard (fun nerf?) which they unfortunately did and give summoner cool ass shit. There may have been a better way to deal with the situation I suppose which didn't involve pissing off every bard.

Except a good brd still won't do as much damage as a good blm or smn, and what they're dealing now is a totally new unoptimized skillset that's shoehorned on the one they had since day one.

Except a good brd still won't do as much damage as a good blm or smn, and what they're dealing now is a totally new unoptimized skillset that's shoehorned on the one they had since day one.

Are the Machinist skills optimized for the equivalent stand still/cast time stance or does it suffer from similar jank?

IMBored

Are the Machinist skills optimized for the equivalent stand still/cast time stance or does it suffer from similar jank?

Haven't played mhc, but they were created from ground up with gauss in mind, and they have a proc for instant cast chain. They seen to suffer from overall low dps however.

Kouriozan

Estimated time : 11 mins.
Elapsed time : 100 mins.

<3 Duty Finder.

LMCXauD.png

aceface

I'd estimate 75% of the people who play this game don't care about dps numbers or even know what dps they are doing. It only really matters for endgame raids and hasn't it been reported that the number of ppl who cleared coil is small? People want a class that's fun to play and has cool abilities. It seems to me that the changes they made to bring bard more into line with the other ranged classes are to shunt people away from bard and into those classes.

FiraB

Banned
I'd estimate 75% of the people who play this game don't care about dps numbers or even know what dps they are doing.
So true, the amount of people that dont care about dps numbers is staggering and people that dont bother with proper roations even more so. It doesnt hamper the game until you get to dps checks/burn phases in fights and then you really wish people knew how to dps properly.

But it was the same in FFXI.

fedexpeon

Banned
I'd estimate 75% of the people who play this game don't care about dps numbers or even know what dps they are doing. It only really matters for endgame raids and hasn't it been reported that the number of ppl who cleared coil is small? People want a class that's fun to play and has cool abilities. It seems to me that the changes they made to bring bard more into line with the other ranged classes are to shunt people away from bard and into those classes.

This is why I don't like it when a game doesn't support a DPS meter.
What is the point in playing subpar and bad?
Everyone should be performing at least average since that the reason people play game right?
Playing half-ass is not fun...Why sit there with 100% mana/tp?
You want to look pretty or something?
I will never understand these people, no matter if they said they are casual or not because that isn't an excuse to have 100% resource pool or why they react slower than my grandma.
Seriously...all we do in the game is press buttons, and they can't press a button that is less than 1mm(WASD, 123) across?

Donthizz#

Thought I was out but all this hype pulled me back in. starting from the beginning as a Tank with a new character. being a tank is serious business, lot to learn. It's going to take some time before I get to the expansion.

iammeiam

Bard traded DPS for mobility always. Our base weapon damage is lower. Our DPS ceiling was lower. Part of our group utility involved sacrificing 20% of our DPS to play battery for the group. It was a base part of the class, and that we could outDPS people who weren't necessarily trying as hard doesn't really seem like a reason to punish us by making it less fun.

I really can't formulate much of a response to the idea that bard needed to be less appealing or so underpowered we're literally DPS black hole in a raid group no matter how hard we try. I'm trying and the entire concept is so inconceivable to me--summoner had issues and they fixed it by making summoner amazing this patch. Dragoon had issues and they buffed dragoon. More people started playing Dragoon. Generally if a class isn't appealing to enough people you fix the class, not kneecap another one to force the players to go elsewhere. People enjoy different gameplay styles and are drawn to different class types that meet them. Making everything casters removes an entire play style from the game.

Wagram

Just reached
Matoya's Cave
-- That nostalgia boner is going crazy right now. What an amazing rendition to that song.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
What is the consensus on DRK right now? Better than PLD and WAR or just in line with the other two tank classes.

Soma

Finally did Ravana (HM) last night. Really fun fight even though I completely fucked up a few mechanics but it was fun to learn things as the fight went on.

Also groups that do a vote abandon after only two wipes are lame. :p I mean I can understand if your equipment needs repairing and all but still.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
sadly yes... :(

I have been waiting a ton for Keeper of the Lake and have been getting shitty groups too

Welp, time to quit forever. Or play a tank/healer.

01efc52465.jpg

This helmet looks kinda dumb on Xaela because of the horns.

Kouriozan

Are the instant DPS queues dead now?

That the main scenario roulette, and apparently the servers were congested (people waiting in DF even with a full party)
Got in at 115 mins, by the way, thankfully there is tons of quests to do while waiting.

aceface

Bard traded DPS for mobility always. Our base weapon damage is lower. Our DPS ceiling was lower. Part of our group utility involved sacrificing 20% of our DPS to play battery for the group. It was a base part of the class, and that we could outDPS people who weren't necessarily trying as hard doesn't really seem like a reason to punish us by making it less fun.

I really can't formulate much of a response to the idea that bard needed to be less appealing or so underpowered we're literally DPS black hole in a raid group no matter how hard we try. I'm trying and the entire concept is so inconceivable to me--summoner had issues and they fixed it by making summoner amazing this patch. Dragoon had issues and they buffed dragoon. More people started playing Dragoon. Generally if a class isn't appealing to enough people you fix the class, not kneecap another one to force the players to go elsewhere. People enjoy different gameplay styles and are drawn to different class types that meet them. Making everything casters removes an entire play style from the game.

Well my point on the dps numbers is that scores of people neither know nor care about dps numbers so it wouldn't stop them from going bard. And if bard is that much more fun to play, and you don't care about numbers, why be any other class? I'm thinking this is the big picture YoshiP was looking at. Class homogenization kind of sucks, but is it a necessary evil? If the classes all play differently you can end up with a situation where some classes are super in demand and some are not used at all. I never played it but I think FFXI had some of that? Maybe that's what they were looking at with bard vs. SMN vs blm on a lesser scale.

I will agree with you though that the way they went about it was shitty. Make the other classes awesome to draw people to those classes instead of nerfing bard movement and thus pull a 2 year long bait and switch on bards everywhere.

iammeiam

Well my point on the dps numbers is that scores of people neither know nor care about dps numbers so it wouldn't stop them from going bard. And if bard is that much more fun to play, and you don't care about numbers, why be any other class?

Preferences aren't universal? Look at the number of people who responded to the initial Minuet announcement with 'you probably don't even move that much anyway.' Some people get really, really happy when they see giant crits. Some people love exploding packs of mobs. Some people like healing, tanking, whatever. People are just different?

And if we're talking strictly about the players who don't care about how to play (AOEing single target bards), they just won't use Minuet? Nothing for them has changed.

When i watch male au ra run they look silly because their animation shows so much effort but they are 7 feet tall and have to run at the same speed as lalafell :)

So i'm starting up FFXIV for the first time, and it's my first MMO. What world should I go to to not be lambasted for being the noob that I am.

Or alternatively, what world are low level Gaffers (in the USA) playing on? Is everyone on Ultros?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So i'm starting up FFXIV for the first time, and it's my first MMO. What world should I go to to not be lambasted for being the noob that I am.

Or alternatively, what world are low level Gaffers (in the USA) playing on? Is everyone on Ultros?

Come to Ultros.

Murray97

Think I might switch worlds to Ultros soon. I'll be sad when EU does get their own servers finally and I won't be able to experience them though :(

TheMink

Im going to start a DRK but ive only played DPS until this point. Anything I could read on general tanking as well as specific DRK tips?

Soma

took me 20 minutes to figure out how to get to Sohm Al

yeah i'm starting to see the complaints for the minimap now... (and I feel dumb for not realizing I was only supposed to go halfway up the tower lol)

Top Bottom