• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| Raiders of the Void Ark

Hasney

I think the main reason for Wanderer's Minuet was because bards were the only class to not have to really worry about many boss mechanics, because they could dodge stuff with no downside whatsoever, no DPS loss or anything. Heck, the bard in my static has killed bosses while kiting them around as the only party member still alive. They were overpowered in a way that Square hadn't thought of. Is WM the best solution, probably not, but it's definitely a tricky problem to solve in a way that doesn't piss people off or leave the class as overpowered.

While true enough, it's something they should have fixed much earlier. Stick with that class for a year because of that reason making it the most fun, then doing this is a bitter pill to swallow. If they stick with it, I'll try DRK but if I don't like that I might be out. My time with lancer and pugilist was horrible.

Tendo

So I just got my ilevel 90 gear from my class quest but didn't get the Summoner Doublet chest piece. Any idea where I go to get that now?

aceface

I think the main reason for Wanderer's Minuet was because bards were the only class to not have to really worry about many boss mechanics, because they could dodge stuff with no downside whatsoever, no DPS loss or anything. Heck, the bard in my static has killed bosses while kiting them around as the only party member still alive. They were overpowered in a way that Square hadn't thought of. Is WM the best solution, probably not, but it's definitely a tricky problem to solve in a way that doesn't piss people off or leave the class as overpowered.

I think it's also may have been an issue that so many people were playing bard because of the perceived ease of use. Really, unless you are a masochist like scy why would you have played summoner over bard? Now if you are ranged, you have to deal with cast times. If you want to run around and fire off abilities you can go melee.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
While true enough, it's something they should have fixed much earlier. Stick with that class for a year because of that reason making it the most fun, then doing this is a bitter pill to swallow. If they stick with it, I'll try DRK but if I don't like that I might be out. My time with lancer and pugilist was horrible.
Yeah Square-Enix only have themselves to blame because Bards have been around since 1.0 and they had all the right tools to make the appropriate adjustments for 2.0 but didn't and heck it wasn't until 3.0 when they finally decided to fix the BS Limit Break Bards had in 2.0 that didn't make sense anymore since our sub class wasn't Conjurer anymore like it was in 1.0 so who knows how long it will be before they attempt to "fix" the Bard again.

IMBored

The good old days were bards didn't have to care about mechanics like renaulds and bluefire. I hope mnks are ready to do some mechanics, seeing as they are the most mobile dps class now.

Ferr986

I wonder, now that the AF+1 (ilvl90) is a reward from the job quest, is there any way to get it if you have already did the quest before this patch?

Teletraan1

Banned
I was a bard. Dont like the changes. Blindly switched to Machinist. Their damage sucks but I like the class outside of the RNG. What is next then? The community for this game is overly harsh on classes they deem weak. I had a tank leave a lower level instance without a single pull because the two dps were machinists. Something about wasting their time lol.

scy

I mean, seeing Bards doing 900-1000 DPS on bosses currently and melee doing about the same makes me wonder a little about the whole "THEIR DPS IS WORSE" angle.

Play pattern is the primary concern; their numbers do not seem to be that problematic yet.

Kenai

There are 2 main issues I have with Wanderer's Minuet:

1-The forced style change to play like a Black Mage is the worst thing. Yeah Bards were the only one who can move while attacking at the same time but that wasn't a bad things as that was 1 thing that set them apart from the rest of the Classes. If I wanted to play like I Black Mage I would play a Black Mage and unfortunately Machinist also suffers this with Gauss Barrel.

2.You said it yourself the Bard class simply wasn't made to play like a Black Mage and adding cast time to it's actions throws off the flow of a Bard and how their skills activate (First one that comes to mind is Heavy Shot taking longer to shoot means your less likely to activate a Critical Hit with Straight Shot).

And honestly I don't think I want Square-Enix to try and "fix" the Bard anymore because so far Square-Enix's definition of "fixing" the Bard is simply giving it more Nerfs:

-Bard stats got slashed across the whole board once already
-Blood for Blood got nerfed from a 25% Damage increase to 10%
-Barrage got nerfed/changed in order to force the same effect Barrage had unto Wanderer's Minuet

And already the Theorycrafters are saying that Wanderer's Minuet offers little to no DPS increase because adding a cast time to a Bard doesn't work correctly on how Bard Skills activate to begin with. So honestly the only way Square-Enix can "fix" the Bard is either by:

A-They drop the cast time shenanigans with Wanderer's Minuet

B- Completely rework the Bard Skills so they can work more effectively with the Cast Time added by Wanderer's Minuet.

C- They simply nerf the Bard class again and buff Wanderer's Minuet in order to make the gains of Wanderer's Minuet seem substantial while also forcing on us this style change on how the Bard plays if we want to be "optimal" again.

And my fear is that they will go with the Nerfs again.

As for anyone who don't get what I mean by style change than let's have Square-Enix add a Cast Time to every action on every DPS class and lets see how well that would flies with anyone considering that's not how the Class has been played for 2 years now.

Number tuning isn't really a concern for me right now, simply because that's all it is. If the class isn't competitive DPS wise or w/e the numbers will show it, and SE will tweak it. Potency tweaks are no big deal and SE has done them many times before. They actually have reasons to now as well, as the whole point of reworking Bard was to

A) not make them so indirectly overpowered by their free movement avoiding so many boss mechanics and

B) give them competitive DPS numbers since they were NEVER anywhere near the other classes in 2.0 at level cap due to their utility. Despite their objectively lower theoretical DPS you HAD to bring a bard, their songs were invaluable to any group planning on clearing before the next patch. That led to even sub-optimal Bards having guaranteed raiding spots over other DPS actually (trying) to pull their weight. I found that unacceptable and still do.

They were getting free rides in more ways than one, it had to change. I understand that is how Bard was played for years but you have to understand why it was indeed a problem that needed to be reworked.

I'm not arguing how effective they have been at meeting their design goals so far, but I am hand waving away the general DPS meters for now, especially with so many people not level capped, not aware of optimal DPS rotations/priorites or at various gear levels, because that reminds me all too much of 2.0 launch and the SMN thing (when they got nurfed cause their DPS was too good despite being considered underpowered) or the WAR/DRG thing (where their whole class was revamped because there was actually a problem).

WM interaction with BRD making skills buggy? I find that to be an immediate problem, like any other class bugs, that should be fixed asap, it's not acceptable when people have to practice for raiding. But with such a major revamp to the class and no PTR there was bound to be issues that need worked out. The important thing is for SE to continue to work on the class until the sweet spot is found. It's there.

Yea that is basically my thoughts as well.

I mean, seeing Bards doing 900-1000 DPS on bosses currently and melee doing about the same makes me wonder a little about the whole "THEIR DPS IS WORSE" angle.

Play pattern is the primary concern; their numbers do not seem to be that problematic yet.

Bingo. Way too many people (understandably) don't know what they are doing and it's really hard to tell if the problem is with the class. it may be, but I dunno yet and I am not gonna jump the gun (no pun intended)

scy

This may very well get things fixed down the road but ...

Cross-classed Feint can be used with no cast time in WM. I'm sorry everyone when this inevitably gets fixed. But, until then, there's your Scathe!

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm pretty sure the 2.4 quests and onward of Level 50 quests give you a full set of gear way better than i90... and they also give you i90 from your 45 & 50 class quests now.

you actually get iLevel 55, 90, and 110 just from doing the scenario quests now.

so first timers like me get at least i110 when going into ishgard

Arkeband

Banned
This may very well get things fixed down the road but ...

Cross-classed Feint can be used with no cast time in WM. I'm sorry everyone when this inevitably gets fixed. But, until then, there's your Scathe!

Feint is pretty weak, and its TP cost is moderate - is this a fairly benign glitch? I don't see the real big use here except for an easy Slow.

God knows Dragoons aren't supposed to be applying it so go ahead, take it. (/s, it just doesn't fit into our rotation and I'm bitter)

I was a bard. Dont like the changes. Blindly switched to Machinist. Their damage sucks but I like the class outside of the RNG. What is next then? The community for this game is overly harsh on classes they deem weak. I had a tank leave a lower level instance without a single pull because the two dps were machinists. Something about wasting their time lol.
That sucks. Sadly MCH does underperform where it matters most. I've decided to go old school and grind MNK so I can finish the expansion on it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The good old days were bards didn't have to care about mechanics like renaulds and bluefire. I hope mnks are ready to do some mechanics, seeing as they are the most mobile dps class now.

Being melee means you naturally have to deal with more mechanics. Bards had the easy life for some time and I am glad they are changing things.

WolvenOne

Man, I have got such mixed feelings about Raw Inuition. On one hand, against as large mob of enemies, or a boss with a lot of physical attacks it's an amazing defensive cooldown. But then you get to bosses that deal mostly magical damage, and it does nothing! XD

So...I've been out of the loop for months, getting PS4 version tomorrow...what's Heavensward done to bard? Mine was a not very geared lvl50 but I'm dabbling with the idea of whm, blm, drg....

Uthred

I don't bother to marks anymore but there were still times where people would do this even with marks.

The only time I use marks now are when the group wipes on a fight because people are tunneling on the boss instead of killing something else that needs to be killed ASAP. I will then mark it the next time when it spawns (along with chat macro).

Well I dont think theres much mystery there then, if you give the dps no indication what they should be focusing on then its not particularly surprising that they might be targeting different enemies (maybe ones targeting the first mob you aggroed while another is targeting the mob you're currently aggroing for example). I find the second or two it takes to drop a mark well worth it to have everyone focused on the same target (and when I run dps I appreciate it when tanks do it as it makes things more straightforward). So it seems a bit rich saying "We'll dps-players (which makes less sense in the context of the games class system) just dont care about stuff like that"

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So...I've been out of the loop for months, getting PS4 version tomorrow...what's Heavensward done to bard? Mine was a not very geared lvl50 but I'm dabbling with the idea of whm, blm, drg....
They nerfed Barrage so it no longer gives you a 20% Auto Attack Increase and instead copy and pasted that same effect to a new Song that you gain on Lv.52 called Wanderer's Minuet but using Wanderer's Minuet also makes it so that any Action that's not on the Global Cool Down (Such as Bloodletter) has an added 3 second cast time which simply turns Bards into under powered Black Mages and of course that means if you move and inch while "casting" your shot than just like magic your action is cancelled so basically we give up our freedom to move and attack at the same time.

What worse not only do we currently (this may change in the future) gain little to no DPS increase by using Wanderer's Minuet but 3 of the new actions in the expansion can only be used while your in the Wanderer's Minuet Stance.

And no Wanderer's Minuet can't not be turn on or off on the fly like Cleric Stance you have to sing the Stance every time you want to turn it on.

Klyka

Banned
you actually get iLevel 55, 90, and 110 just from doing the scenario quests now.

so first timers like me get at least i110 when going into ishgard

And then the Ishgard quest give you ilvl 115 stuff high quality. Or you can buy normal quality ilvl 115 stuff from the vendor for like 20k each.

Stuart444

It does 30% more damage on two moves on cooldowns - I won't say this isn't noticeable, but I was referring to Fang and Claw / Wheeling Thrust / Geirskogul, which are all BOTD related. BOTD's 30% buff to Jump/Spineshatter is just a nice bonus, the real functionality of it is to enable the use of our fourth-tier moves - I'm suggesting that these are fairly difficult to pull off at their 290 potency in solo content.

Yeah I know what you meant but with all the buffs up, Jump will often do more dmg than Full Thrust. (2200~ for FT with Life Surge (and the other buffs), 2300~ for Jump with the buffs + BotD. I often use Jump right after FT so it's noticeable to me lol) So it's a REAL nice bonus lol.

That said I just got my first 4th combo skill and had a terrible run of the Aery. Nothing went wrong (as in we didn't wipe) but getting used to moving and using my new combo skill from the flank (since the rear one isn't until 58) is taking a bit. Especially because a lot of monsters/bosses in the Aery likes to move right at the time I'm doing the positionals.

I also wish they had a way to deal with the excess amount of skills. So many skills on my Cross bar. :( Having to move them around just to find a good place to put my new skills.

IMBored

They nerfed Barrage so it no longer gives you a 20% Auto Attack Increase and instead copy and pasted that same effect to a new Song that you gain on Lv.52 called Wanderer's Minuet but using Wanderer's Minuet also makes it so that any Action that's not on the Global Cool Down (Such as Bloodletter) has an added 3 second cast time which simply turns Bards into under powered Black Mages and of course that means if you move and inch while "casting" your shot than just like magic your action is cancelled so basically we give up our freedom to move and attack at the same time.

Barrage actually gave 2 extra hits on auto attacks, normally you'd get 3-4 auto attacks while it was active. Now it gives extra 2 hits on the next weaponskills, but they don't crit. And it's 1.5 cast time if I'm not mistaken.

Xion_Stellar

Barrage actually gave 2 extra hits on auto attacks, normally you'd get 3-4 auto attacks while it was active. Now it gives extra 2 hits on the next weaponskills, but they don't crit. And it's 1.5 cast time if I'm not mistaken.
Oh I'm well aware of Barrage's former description and function however I'm on mobile and I don't feel like looking up sources or posting math for your convinience so if you want to know why I said 20% increase than go look up some theorycrafting on the Bard Class

ViciousDS

Banned
And then the Ishgard quest give you ilvl 115 stuff high quality. Or you can buy normal quality ilvl 115 stuff from the vendor for like 20k each.

seems like they did a good job with the expansion. Making it so you get decent gear to go into the next area and not be completely squished during that first level. All in all I've been very impressed with everything since 2.0.

Klyka

Banned
seems like they did a good job with the expansion. Making it so you get decent gear to go into the next area and not be completely squished during that first level. All in all I've been very impressed with everything since 2.0.

FF14 is the MMO that made me have fun in an MMO again.
I love it's artstyle, especially the character models. I love the music. I love the story and cutscenes it has.
I especially love all the group content, I don't know why but it's the only MMO that has me feel like a part of an actual party who does his part.

It's a really well made game. When I am through with all the new content,I might take a break again till a new patch releases and then bam,straight back in.

ViciousDS

Banned
FF14 is the MMO that made me have fun in an MMO again.
I love it's artstyle, especially the character models. I love the music. I love the story and cutscenes it has.
I especially love all the group content, I don't know why but it's the only MMO that has me feel like a part of an actual party who does his part.

It's a really well made game. When I am through with all the new content,I might take a break again till a new patch releases and then bam,straight back in.

pretty much....I can;t play anything else on the market atm. ESO.....lasted about 2 hours, went back to Tera, Aion, WoW, Archeage..........you name it, I've redownloaded it in the last 2 months.

FFXIV just keeps calling me and at this point there really is no point into looking at anything else.

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah I know what you meant but with all the buffs up, Jump will often do more dmg than Full Thrust. (2200~ for FT with Life Surge (and the other buffs), 2300~ for Jump with the buffs + BotD. I often use Jump right after FT so it's noticeable to me lol) So it's a REAL nice bonus lol.

That said I just got my first 4th combo skill and had a terrible run of the Aery. Nothing went wrong (as in we didn't wipe) but getting used to moving and using my new combo skill from the flank (since the rear one isn't until 58) is taking a bit. Especially because a lot of monsters/bosses in the Aery likes to move right at the time I'm doing the positionals.

I also wish they had a way to deal with the excess amount of skills. So many skills on my Cross bar. :( Having to move them around just to find a good place to put my new skills.

I'll probably end up putting the 5 new skills above my two existing bars, overlapping the pet bar, since I never use that on my DRG.

WolvenOne

Yeah, been doing with that a lot these past few days, and I think Warriors have fewer skills overall. I've settled for moving Bloodbath, Second Wind, and Convalescence to my keyboard hotbar. I used to only keep that thing around so I could see how long til my CD's popped back up, but I didn't really have anywhere else to put those skills, and they're probably the least vital ones I had.

Thankfully, they all serve roughly the same purpose, and I put then right next to each other on the keyboard. So even if I miss and hit Conv instead of Second Wind it isn't a huge loss. I just wish I didn't have to take my hand off the controller. :p

PS: Since I started playing this game, I've come to lament that Sega's 6 face button layout never became the standard. 2 more slots per Crossbar would be a game-changer. XD

Beats

Should I use seals for Grand Company gear? I'm only level 29 on my Conjurer and I've mostly been using gear that I've been getting from dungeons so far.

Zomba13

Should I use seals for Grand Company gear? I'm only level 29 on my Conjurer and I've mostly been using gear that I've been getting from dungeons so far.

Seals are pretty easy to get and the GC gear is usually pretty good for the levels for a while (unless you get a dungeon drop around that level). Only stuff I'd advise against getting is the lvl50 stuff because it's useless now, unless you want it for glamour.

Reknoc

Well the correct use of seals is to buy an infinite supply of Kan-e-Senna portraits, but you get plenty so no reason not to fill in some gear gaps.

Nose Master

Uploading right now so I can't do anything of note, so I'm wrapping up some of the postman quests. Seriously, some of the best written stuff in the game. It's a shame most of the other quests are just kinda there.

Arkeband

Banned
Uploading right now so I can't do anything of note, so I'm wrapping up some of the postman quests. Seriously, some of the best written stuff in the game. It's a shame most of the other quests are just kinda there.

I found these quests insufferable. The best written stuff is obviously Hildibrand, followed by the MSQ.

Fee

I am looking for some sort of compiled list of things you can do daily/weekly at max level for combat, crafting, and gathering classes. I keep seeing people talk about stuff i didn't know existed, and im sure there is more. I had no luck googling it up. Anyone know of something like that?

I only started playing right before the expansion, and now that im max level again, i wanna make sure i'm not missing anything I could be doing.

Top Bottom