• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

WolvenOne

I'll believe it when I see it.

Well, all the raiders congregating on one server has become a problem for the Japanese players as well. Generally speaking, they sometimes ignore problems when they're only happening in North America and Europe, but they're a lot more aware of problems with the Japanese servers.

So, yeah between that and them saying they were working on it now, it'll probably happen at some point.

Redx508

Already played 5 games right when it released before I had to go to work

gryvan waiting for the beta

CauiBygUsAAOziC.jpg

Squishy3

Easier to just accept not getting in.
I've learned to deal with it after not being accepted for the last 20 betas.

Guess I'll finally bite the bullet and upgrade these 2 prototype gordian accessories since I'll probably need the accuracy for Midas, Midas Savage and Fiend EX. Kinda dumb how both upgrades (gordian and eso) both remove substats or have worse values of substats and pile on even more accuracy for me... of which I already had more than enough of for any of the content currently in the game.

iammeiam

Thread did motivate me to figure out my Battle.net situation and apply to the beta so I too can enjoy the benefits of not getting in. At least I can say I tried.

Guess I'll finally bite the bullet and upgrade these 2 prototype gordian accessories since I'll probably need the accuracy for Midas, Midas Savage and Fiend EX. Kinda dumb how both upgrades (gordian and eso) both remove substats or have worse values of substats and pile on even more accuracy for me... of which I already had more than enough of for any of the content currently in the game.

Does Gordias normal even have an accuracy cap worth noting? I just sort of assume Midas normal mode will share dungeon accuracy and be pretty rock bottom since they won't want to make casual players have to pay attention to a secondary.

Jayhawk

Others will be able to reap the benefits of being made men, only to be yelled at for being bad. I look forward to being the 3rd or 4th victim in play of the game videos.

PFs looking for a new WAR for the static aren't working well. I must intensify the recruitment work.

Squishy3

Thread did motivate me to figure out my Battle.net situation and apply to the beta so I too can enjoy the benefits of not getting in. At least I can say I tried.

Does Gordias normal even have an accuracy cap worth noting? I just sort of assume Midas normal mode will share dungeon accuracy and be pretty rock bottom since they won't want to make casual players have to pay attention to a secondary.
It was like 575 for DPS I think? That might've been for Ravana EX but I think it's the same between the two of them.

And I'm sitting at 614 accuracy right now, in full 210 left side with two eso accessories that haven't been upgraded with two prototype gordian accessories for the substats. (I just have no motivation for Alex Savage, even though I did clear A1S and have 2 pages. I guess I should get the earrings since they have crit/det, though.)

I'd go for a full set of Gordian accessories, but RNG probably wouldn't drop them all for me.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
is tanking the hardest role to play in this game? just weird how some pugs have no idea how to tank properly. I did this duty roulette with some lowbies, the tank seemed to have very crappy gear got absolutely wrecked by some mobs and he was bad at holding aggro, couldn't hold aggro for more than 5 seconds.

How's Marauder for tanking? I'm thinking of switching to a tank role after gaining access to ninja.

Unless Marauder is not as good as Gladiator for tanking.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
The hardest role in this game is reading and research. There's nothing inherently harder about tanking than any other role.

is tanking the hardest role to play in this game? just weird how some pugs have no idea how to tank properly. I did this duty roulette with some lowbies, the tank seemed to have very crappy gear got absolutely wrecked by some mobs and he was bad at holding aggro, couldn't hold aggro for more than 5 seconds.

How's Marauder for tanking? I'm thinking of switching to a tank role after gaining access to ninja.

Low level tanking can be difficult if you're undergeared, and not using skills that generate enmity. Undergeared tanks soak more damage, in which the healer has to cure like crazy, and in turn the healer will generate more hate then the tank and get wailed on. It was the mistake I made during ARR beta when leveling Marauder, that and not wearing proper tank gear. (I was wearing a combination of tank and DPS gear.) Something to avoid when tanking, just get gear made for GLA/PLD, MRD/WAR, DRK specifically.

I have all three tank jobs above 32, and while it's no where near the kind of experience a veteran tank has, I've learned that it's best to focus on keeping hate on all targets instead of focusing on one. I personally didn't enjoy tanking at all, It just isn't my thing (Though I actually loved the flow of Paladin, might go back to that). I have noticed some tanks want to treat it as a DPS, but really you're responsible for holding agro and leading the dungeon by pulling trash and trusting your healers and DPS to do their jobs.

You'll wanna level gladiator anyways for flash, provoke, convalescence, and awareness. Those are some essential cross class skills for tanking.

I have all 3 tank classes at 60 now (just got maxed Paladin last week). Warrior is probably the most fun to tank as for me. Paladin is really sturdy, but kinda boring. Dark Knight is pretty fun, but still feels kinda squishy to me.

Tanking isn't all that tough when you get used to it. Plus you usually get to ignore some of the mechanics the dps and healers have to put up with.

BadRNG

It'll depend on player and often the fight itself, no role really hardest. Tank often has most responsibility I guess. If you actually looked at your average lowbie's DPS and rotation stuff it will often be completely terrible too, you just don't notice as much as a bad newbie tank.

MRD is fine, and it's job (WAR) is arguably - or not so arguably - the best tank in the game. You will need to level GLD to 21 at some point regardless of which of the three tanks you take to high level though, only way to get Provoke which is extremely important taunt skill.

I personally didn't enjoy tanking at all, It just isn't my thing (Though I actually loved the flow of Paladin, might go back to that). .
hqdefault.jpg

Valor

I think newbie tanks struggle to learn how the enmity system works in the game. That's the only real trick, I feel. Most of the time the tanks I encounter who tank poorly don't quite understand how to keep all of the enemies on them at once.

Also some of them don't seem to understand how combo actions work in the game. Or which attacks boost their enmity.

People eventually figure out these mechanics
or switch to dps
, but I think that's where a lot of the "difficulty" of tanking arises. Learning how threat works, how to hold and keep threat, and how best to use your enmity abilities on packs of mobs in dungeons. Also to use Tomahawk/Shield Lob/Unmend and not face pull every group. That too. Or using Flash in a way that actually hits all of the enemies. And not to prepop literally your entire defensive cooldown armory before you pull the boss.

I've seen some shit, man. I've seen some shit.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This is the third guy in similar gear today.

Okay, Chaos people, how do you deal with your DF?
The cancer is unbeliveable. These people shouldn't be able to queue into DF without breaking their own fingers.

KuroNeeko

Is there like, a minimum population you should shoot for?

I was playing on Ultros but ran into queue just to get into the game. Lag during cutscenes (button presses not registering) was the last straw and I went back to my JP server, Fenrir.

Only 8,000 players or so and the wait for DPS around level 15 - 25 is about 25 minutes. Is this pretty normal? Just wish there was more RP on JP servers... : /

xxczx

The cancer is unbeliveable. These people shouldn't be able to queue into DF without breaking their own fingers.
I just got a PLD in high level roulette only using Rage of Halone looking swag as fuck while my BLM ass was getting eaten. C H A O S H Y P E

Ken

Is there like, a minimum population you should shoot for?

I was playing on Ultros but ran into queue just to get into the game. Lag during cutscenes (button presses not registering) was the last straw and I went back to my JP server, Fenrir.

Only 8,000 players or so and the wait for DPS around level 15 - 25 is about 25 minutes. Is this pretty normal? Just wish there was more RP on JP servers... : /

DF pulls from your data center though, so maybe whatever other servers that are with Fenrir are low pop?

ebil

We queue with our friends and complain a lot.

I just got a PLD in high level roulette only using Rage of Halone looking swag as fuck while my BLM ass was getting eaten. C H A O S H Y P E
Typical DF PLD rotation: http://ffxivrotations.com/2x8

Bugbear hype! Midas already looks better than depressing Gordias, fingers crossed that the actual fights will be interesting.

Caj814

You've hit the goldmine!
They're not a Arcanist

I didn't run into those kind of players on Chaos. Granted...I usually just did DF runs with FC people but I thankfully didn't run into super undergeared people when I did go by myself.

ebil

Seems like a couple of Euro peeps went to Odin and some to Cerberus. Which is better?
What is your definition of 'better'? They're similarly populated, mostly English-speaking servers with an active raid scene. Odin has EU first A4s I think if that counts towards being good.

I didn't run into those kind of players on Chaos. Granted...I usually just did DF runs with FC people but I thankfully didn't run into super undergeared people when I did go by myself.
Most 'good' players haven't really been active for a good month and my DF experience has definitely got a lot worse lately. I'm guessing a lot of people that are left using DF are either new, catching up or bored enough to do so. I get first time bonus daily on most things I do.

Like, last week I had to tank Belladonna as NIN because our DRK died early and had never bothered to level GLA to get Provoke.

Wow, Sohm Al is what... 54 dungeon? They should of been able to at least get some poetic gears and vendor gear is pretty cheap. I can understand 54-60 accessories being expensive, but dungeon drops usually make up for it.

EDIT: Well my friend moved to Lamia to be with his old friend and super small kit FC (we're from Midgarsomr), not sure if I should follow or leave my current FC as I think both our leaders are AWOL and it's on life support at this point.

Zeroth

As someone who just hit level 50 (and started playing a couple weeks ago), you guys are sure making me feel like I shouldn't use duty finder at all out of fear some veteran will judge me in some forum for not wearing optimal gear.

dramatis

As someone who just hit level 50 (and started playing a couple weeks ago), you guys are sure making me feel like I shouldn't use duty finder at all out of fear some veteran will judge me in some forum for not wearing optimal gear.
If you have questions about where you can acquire level-appropriate gear more quickly, ask away

I just use this though http://www.garlandtools.org/db/

The "Tools" option on the top brings up a toolbar where you can see a "Leveling Equipment" option, it's straightforward from there.

Valor

I mean optimal is whatever. No one whose opinion really matters will care if you're using a piece of suboptimal gear, especially in leveling dungeons. I will say, however, that Frumix's screenshot shows a character at level 53 wearing ilevel 50 gear on the left side (That looks like the job quest SMN AF gear) and sub ilevel 50 aetherial right side. That is incredibly low gear for being in Sohm Al, especially when you could buy vendor gear in Heavensward that is flat out better than anything that they are wearing.

So really it's not a matter of wearing optimal gear, it's a matter of not wearing trash bags duct taped to your body when venturing forth and pretending that it's gear. When I level classes I don't keep perfectly up to gear level, but my baseline I go in with in Heavensward is at least ilevel 110 and then hope for or collect drops from dungeons to use.

Also, who cares what a bunch of assholes like us say on the internet? As long as you do your best or whatever it's fine in the end. I've played many DF groups that werent exactly good players, but as long as the dungeon gets cleared at the end of the day then that's all I care about in the end, personally.

iammeiam

It's less about "ideal" gear I think and more that if you're new to the game, the game straight up gives you better gear at level 50 as part of the Main Story Quest than that character is wearing. Looking them up on lodestone, it's i90 on the left, level 39 jewelry, and a level 49 book. New players get i110 gear just going through the process of getting to the expansion. So the game does a pretty good job of trying to make sure brand new players can't end up in that situation.

Looking them up further, this isn't their main job (they have a level 60 monk and a level 60 black mage) so by now they should know you can just go to a vendor and buy gear that would be an upgrade for everything.

To put it another way: That character's gear is so bad, they wouldn't be able to pass the main story with it, since a mandatory part of the main story quest requires being i90. It's actually impossible to end up in that situation just playing the game straight through as a new player.

ebil

If you're going through the Main Story for the first time you will be rewarded with adequate gear for your level by just doing the story quests so there's really nothing to worry about. That person on the screenshot was wearing gear far worse than what you get with story quests up to that point.

Zeroth

I suppose its just a shock to see gear being such a deal breaker. I'm not used to mmos with such emphasis on gear level, so it will take some time getting used to it.

Speaking of, what use do I have for tomestones of poetry? Ironworks gear is already outdated thanks to the story gear, no?

Redx508

I suppose its just a shock to see gear being such a deal breaker. I'm not used to mmos with such emphasis on gear level, so it will take some time getting used to it.

Speaking of, what use do I have for tomestones of poetry? Ironworks gear is already outdated thanks to the story gear, no?

you can use poetics to buy the lv60 relic items

Unidentifiable Bone
Unidentifiable Shell

if you just hit 50 don't worry about the relic its optional

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

There might be some ilevel 120 pieces better than what you have- just check when you're ready to move to Heavensward stuff.

Poetics gear is i120 and upgradable to i130, higher than any lv50 gear. But yeah, the lv50 gear you get from the story (i115 I think?) should be enough. Other than gear, you can use Poetics to buy minions, mats to sell or the items for the Anima (Heavensward relic weapon) if you want to do that (
you don't want to do that
).

iammeiam

Looping back to this for a second:

- It will never cease to amaze me how secretive they are about things that not only aren't spoilers but would actually be really useful information to have in advance. Why is the Midas Normal iLevel requirement a secret?

- One of the few pieces of actual information in the preview, the Savage prerequisite, seems to be wrong. Not only does it not match what they've said before, the JP page seems to list different requirements for Normal and Savage.

- Is there a PLD skill that involves poking enemies in the nose with the edge of your shield? Because that seems to be what that PLD is doing.

Top Bottom