• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

WolvenOne

what's a good at level 24, to earn some quick gil? I feel like I'm always short on gil.

At level 24, well it's kiiiiinda tough. <_<;;

I mean you get gil for completing story quests and such but, even at level cap without crafting or gathering classes there's no real quick way to get Gil.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
what's a good at level 24, to earn some quick gil? I feel like I'm always short on gil.
What are you wasting your gil on? You should have more than enough from doing main story quests.

We finished this monstrosity today. We got a lot of new recruits lately (I don't think we have been this active since 3.0 came out and I cannot fathom why, game is supposed to be deader than dead) and it was fun working on this together!
Probably a mix of old players getting hyped for the new raid and new players from the frequent sales they've been doing since the start of the year (Steam sale, humble bundle, PSN sale, Amazon free ARR with HW purchase).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Oops, you mean queue from anywhere. I can only assume the designer had some idealistic dream of minion square being like one of those packed JP arcades full of noise and cigarette smoke.
If they wanted that they should've made a pachinko minigame.

Jayhawk

Where do we line up to trade in our fake prize for gil for this hypothetical pachinko minigame scenario to deal with gambling laws in Japan?

BLCKATK

I took it real slow, feels good to have it done finally.

Looks great too!

eHLr4KU.png

Teknoman

Looks like we will fight
Calca and Brina dolls
in antitower.

REALLY?!

*EXPLODES*

Oh please let them have a Sokenised version of the FFIV boss theme!

FFXIV GAF, I need to rant. I feel like the FFXIV team is overlooking the great potential for exploration in Eorzea. I dislike that there are so many fantastic and charming areas but they are often instanced dungeons. I dislike that we have these vistas on the horizon (I'm talking about you, West Shroud with your gorgeous waterfalls) but they are never expanded on or hidden behind text on the lore forum.

I miss the pleasure of exploring. Back in 2002 when FFXI launched, I spent the next two years exploring the game world rather than leveling up with my peers (Yes, I know this is an entire generational difference, but the concept of exploring and my desire for that has not changed). I recently resubscribed so that my wife could play a bit as she's starting to show an interest, and was playing through the Void Ark quest series - I was charmed by the sky pirate settlement, but disappointed that it was only used in a a short series of cut-scenes.

Does anyone else feel that they could do more to open up the world? I can appreciate that it is uncommon for MMO's to open new areas outside of expansions, but feel that at the very least, they could expand on the areas we have currently. It would be fantastic to be able to fly in either direction in the Sea of Clouds and end up in the Diadem, even if it meant zoning. I feel like the PS3 is responsible for a lot of these issues, and understand the reason behind supporting it, but I still think they could do more.

Yeah I wish they would interconnect areas a little more, or at least make exploring more rewarding/dangerous aside from achievements...but the instanced and point to point nature of the game kind of hurts this aspect.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Beast Tribe Quest Preview

s5e3EG7.png

FFXIV GAF, I need to rant. I feel like the FFXIV team is overlooking the great potential for exploration in Eorzea. I dislike that there are so many fantastic and charming areas but they are often instanced dungeons. I dislike that we have these vistas on the horizon (I'm talking about you, West Shroud with your gorgeous waterfalls) but they are never expanded on or hidden behind text on the lore forum.

I miss the pleasure of exploring. Back in 2002 when FFXI launched, I spent the next two years exploring the game world rather than leveling up with my peers (Yes, I know this is an entire generational difference, but the concept of exploring and my desire for that has not changed). I recently resubscribed so that my wife could play a bit as she's starting to show an interest, and was playing through the Void Ark quest series - I was charmed by the sky pirate settlement, but disappointed that it was only used in a a short series of cut-scenes.

Does anyone else feel that they could do more to open up the world? I can appreciate that it is uncommon for MMO's to open new areas outside of expansions, but feel that at the very least, they could expand on the areas we have currently. It would be fantastic to be able to fly in either direction in the Sea of Clouds and end up in the Diadem, even if it meant zoning. I feel like the PS3 is responsible for a lot of these issues, and understand the reason behind supporting it, but I still think they could do more.
I completely agree. When FFXI was released in Europe and I had a chance to play my first AAA 3D MMO (until that point it was mostly RO), I was amazed by how huge the world was. Sure, most of it felt empty, but it was full of danger (high level mobs), getting from point A to point B was a challenge (mobs plus long distances). I completely understand that they want to allow even busy people to jump in for an hour and feel like they achieved something, this "something" not being making it from one city to another.
That said, Eorzea is laughably small, which is probably a price to pay for the PS3 version and the amount of details everywhere.
I really hope that the next update or some bigger patch expands the world to make it more fun to explore.

Teknoman

I still think the journey from city to city in FFXI and then finally the journey through the dunes and onward to Jueno across the mid tier areas was one of the best experiences in online gaming. The people you'd meet, save, get saved by, etc.

Jijidasu

I feel like they tried to make things bigger with HW but a lot of it feels unfinished, and to be honest (on a model basis) ugly. The texture size, the geometry, etc. in some areas is a bit dodgy, however, I would better appreciate it if they used these things to create a more "alive" world.

I'm guessing when they drop PS3 support we might see an extension of these things, and I really, really hope they do. I don't want mind-numbing crawls from FFXI (those experiences were fantastic, but are best left in the past) but I would love to see a world that is exciting to travel.

I still think the journey from city to city in FFXI and then finally the journey through the dunes and onward to Jueno across the mid tier areas was one of the best experiences in online gaming. The people you'd meet, save, get saved by, etc.

Indeed. Treasured memories to me. But, let's be realistic. That would get hammered so quickly by people today. They can explore those experiences with an exciting world. Hell, you know just making more of the zones we have would be great. Instead of 3 regions in Thanalan, add a few more; "join" The shroud and Thanalan and make it feel cohesive as a transition between two radically different environments.

Teknoman

Thats one thing I did like about 1.0, the areas were seamless and connected...but then they suffered from lack of diversity. A happy medium would be great. Personally i'd just settle for dangerous exploration.

Squishy3

FFXI could still hold up today if the UI wasn't insanely outdated at this point. I think a lot of people would still like it, or at least be willing to give it a chance.

But nobody will give a real chance to a game that cycles you out of a menu everytime you buy a piece of armor and you then need to go through 6 pages to buy the next piece of the set.

JSoup

Banned
So, question.
If I switch Grand Companies, do I retain my rank and seal count with the one I switched from?

Thorgal

REALLY?!

*EXPLODES*

Oh please let them have a Sokenised version of the FFIV boss theme!

Yeah I wish they would interconnect areas a little more, or at least make exploring more rewarding/dangerous aside from achievements...but the instanced and point to point nature of the game kind of hurts this aspect.
I probably should have changed will with might as there is no official confirmation often being them.
It is on the forum. Can't post link cause phone

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Character creation is locked based on the population of the server currently, so you're better off trying to create during off-peak hours.

Yeah I figured that was probably the case. Hopefully after work today.

what's a good way, at level 24, to earn some quick gil? I feel like I'm always short on gil.

Do your challenge log, do your daily roulette, don't sell white gear, sell unneeded gear on the marketboard (unless you plan to level those jobs).

Beast Tribe Quest Preview

s5e3EG7.png

I completely agree. When FFXI was released in Europe and I had a chance to play my first AAA 3D MMO (until that point it was mostly RO), I was amazed by how huge the world was. Sure, most of it felt empty, but it was full of danger (high level mobs), getting from point A to point B was a challenge (mobs plus long distances). I completely understand that they want to allow even busy people to jump in for an hour and feel like they achieved something, this "something" not being making it from one city to another.
That said, Eorzea is laughably small, which is probably a price to pay for the PS3 version and the amount of details everywhere.
I really hope that the next update or some bigger patch expands the world to make it more fun to explore.

Exploring in FFXI definitely gave you that sense of danger around every corner. Sure, I hated it at times but there was sense of adventure when trying to outrun a mob who chases you through an entire area. WOTG had you going through Castle Zhval just for a mission, but the trek was an heart racing experience in itself. XI had it's flaws like it's crafting system and job classes that just never saw a fix but there hasn't been a game since that went with the same style they did. Not only that, but I liked having unlocked new areas (Sky, Sea) after going through the story and battlefields were just boss fights. Each expansion focused on a unique storyline that was separate from the main FFXI questline.

I like FFXIV for what it has done, I sometimes solo lower level dungeons just to look around but it's just not the same. I did recall reading something about Yoshi P saying the new expansion might be where you don't need to finish Heavensward to do it, which could mean they might actually try for a standalone expansion which fresh characters an ideas. I mean the scions story has to come to an end at some point... I get the feeling there will be a shake up with 3.2.

Cancelled sub, I am free once again until they decide to actually put some worthwhile damage content in the game. Perhaps skipping few updates will go a long way for me, plus too many good games coming out the next 3 months.

Praying for 3.4.

ebil

Every single time I get an Astrologian co-healer in Trial Roulette it feels like they have absolutely no clue what they are doing at all (ie going Nocturnal when I'm on SCH or stuff like that). It would have you believe the job is extremely hard to comprehend or they live in their own bubble where nobody else exists or something.

I spent gil on... dyes lol

does it really matter which Grand Company I join?

Not at all unless you like different glamours. It doesn't change the story or anything like that. I've never spent money on dyes much but in endgame I get so damn lucky with all the metallic dyes from high level retainer ventures. I guess I'm just lucky.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Doing the 1st time to Jueno trip from SanDoria while heavily underleveled, has been burned into my brain. MGS had nothing on that stealth action through Jugner Forest and Battalia Downs.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I guess I shouldn't bother with materia melding unless I'm using a piece of gear for awhile. Seems pointless if every two levels or so I switch gears.

I don't like the fact that you need to keep up the crafting jobs on par with the gear's level to meld materia. I would've liked if at a certain level I could meld grade 2 materia into gear, regardless of gear level. this system is not friendly for low levels with the constant switch of gear and the need to keep the crafting jobs levels on par with your gear.

Sorian

Banned
I guess I shouldn't bother with materia melding unless I'm using a piece of gear for awhile. Seems pointless if every two levels or so I switch gears.

I don't like the fact that you need to keep up the crafting jobs on par with the gear's level to meld materia. I would've liked if at a certain level I could meld grade 2 materia into gear, regardless of gear level. this system is not friendly for low levels with the constant switch of gear and the need to keep the crafting jobs levels on par with your gear.

Materia is 100% intended for end game gear. Doing it for leveling gear will be a waste almost 100% of the time.

iammeiam

So the thing with gear in this game is you basically don't need to care/worry about it until endgame. The general rule of thumb is to try to keep your iLevel within 10 of your current level up to 50, maybe make sure to keep your weapon up-to-date if playing a tank, but beyond that it doesn't matter. When you hit level 50 the game will chuck gear at you via the MSQ that will bump you up to iLevel 110.

Crafting your own stuff while leveling and melding essentially at all pre-endgame, is sort of pointless. Leveling crafters is sort of nice for being able to self-repair gear, but the entire leveling process is basically a straight line through the main story with any side activities being strictly for fun/not terribly productive. Dungeon drops will be better than what you can craft, And you'll be replacing gear basically constantly until you hit 60.

In terms of easygoing, almost effortless play until later on, it's probably dragoon.

However, if you're anxious about time, any of the damage classes tend to have long queue times. So if you want to be on the roll sooner, you should play a healer or a tank, but they are more difficult classes to play later on (specifically tank).

Definitely Archer/Bard. At least for levels 1-50 (I haven't touched it since the level cap increase).

I'm torn! But I'm assuming Bard is a class that'd get me more groups? I've never really played a ranged character in an MMO before.

Valor

I'm torn! But I'm assuming Bard is a class that'd get me more groups? I've never really played a ranged character in an MMO before.

You should really play anything you'd like to play. All of the classes are good and have a place in the game and in groups. Tanks are probably the most important to play rather well and they tend to be the leaders in dungeons, dictating where you're going to go and what/how many enemies you'll be fighting at a time. Dps can kind of sit back and not worry about things and just follow the tank, and healers just try to keep everyone not dead for the most part. Pick a role you're interested in, then pick a class that fits that role. You'll be good to go for a while. You can always change jobs and try out other stuff whenever you'd like to, so you're not making a permanent choice.

Error

Materia is 100% intended for end game gear. Doing it for leveling gear will be a waste almost 100% of the time.

So the thing with gear in this game is you basically don't need to care/worry about it until endgame. The general rule of thumb is to try to keep your iLevel within 10 of your current level up to 50, maybe make sure to keep your weapon up-to-date if playing a tank, but beyond that it doesn't matter. When you hit level 50 the game will chuck gear at you via the MSQ that will bump you up to iLevel 110.

Crafting your own stuff while leveling and melding essentially at all pre-endgame, is sort of pointless. Leveling crafters is sort of nice for being able to self-repair gear, but the entire leveling process is basically a straight line through the main story with any side activities being strictly for fun/not terribly productive. Dungeon drops will be better than what you can craft, And you'll be replacing gear basically constantly until you hit 60.

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Yeah tanks pretty much dictate the pace in the dungeons, I hate tanks that move around a lot though. My Rogue has an ability that deals more damage from behind enemies but if the tank is moving all over the place I can't hit enemies from behind. I like tanks that tend to stay put (except during AoE abilities enemies use, obv) so I can hack away at the enemies from behind or the flank, depending on the ability or class I'm using.

jorgeton

Thanks for the advice guys :)

Yeah tanks pretty much dictate the pace in the dungeons, I hate tanks that move around a lot though. My Rogue has an ability that deals more damage from behind enemies but if the tank is moving all over the place I can't hit enemies from behind. I like tanks that tend to stay put (except during AoE abilities enemies use, obv) so I can hack away at the enemies from behind or the flank, depending on the ability or class I'm using.

Yikes. Sounds like you've been running with some new tanks. Tanks should stand still whenever possible and position enemies so the melee DPS can get their max damage potential from positionals (and so squishier classes don't get cleaved in the face).

So, I started a THM class because why not. And it's probably the most fun of all the starting classes I've played. You get an AOE pre level 20! And four different damage dealing attacks.That's crazy talk compared to some other classes where you have the same two-hit combo until the mid-20's. No wonder BLMs are Yoshi P's fave.

Thorgal

Calcobrenna as a dungeon boss?!

Please give us a remix of the classic theme anyway Soken! D:

i expect if it is them that their united form will be one big DPS check since if it follows the same mechanics as in ff4 if you don't kill their combined form fast enough they split up again and any previously slain dolls will respawn again .

Error

I'm surprised at how well this game plays with the ps4 controller, the controls are well thought-out IMO.

ESO controls well, too, but that game uses a more simple interface and it's more action based than this. This game is pretty much a traditional MMO and still I haven't felt hindered by the controls, don't know how reliable they are for end-game content, but so far I'm impressed.

Yikes. Sounds like you've been running with some new tanks. Tanks should stand still whenever possible and position enemies so the melee DPS can get their max damage potential from positionals (and so squishier classes don't get cleaved in the face).
Yeah, I've been playing mostly with pugs for dungeons, trials and guildhest and it sucks when the tank can't stay put.

WolvenOne

i expect if it is them that their united form will be one big DPS check since if it follows the same mechanics as in ff4 if you don't kill their combined form fast enough they split up again and any previously slain dolls will respawn again .

I'd be okay with the classic theme only playing before they joined up, that's how it worked in FFIV as well. And yeah if they do this I do kinda expect the boss to be a DPS check along these lines, albeit a very lax DPS check, it being a dungeon boss and all.

As much as I'd like it, I think the same inventory issues would prevent it. I think the only way around it is to attach such a system to an NPC or retainer. Retainer inventory only exists when the retainer is actively being used, so it's not anywhere near the strain on the system as an active player, as their inventory is being tracked constantly for as long as they're logged in.

Thorgal

that sounds a lot like Guilds wars 2 's wardrobe system .

resizedimage630475-gw2-wardrobe.jpg

how it works : every time you get a new piece of armor or weapon and you either make it account bound or character bound the skin of that piece of equipment gets saved in the wardrobe and stays there even if you destroy the item.

then it is simply a matter of picking a piecez of your armor , then pick which skin should be used for that equipment piece and you are done and can join Fashion wars 2 .

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Taken a few drastic steps today.
Switched to EU servers (Europing is real and who knew there were several Russian FCs close to or with A4S kills, finally no waking up at 4 AM to raid) and more importantly, succumbed to the

{Darkside}

Eldren

Taken a few drastic steps today.
Switched to EU servers (Europing is real and who knew there were several Russian FCs close to or with A4S kills, finally no waking up at 4 AM to raid) and more importantly, succumbed to the

{Darkside}

Well you made one good decision at least. Which server are you on?

A new and improved inventory/retainer/glamour system is long overdue but I can't see SE fixing it any time soon. Didn't Yoshi say only recently that he'd rather increase inventory capacity than implement a wardrobe? That's a short term solution at best. (Plus it keeps that retainer money rolling in.) Not to mention the useless search and sort functions. There are some desperately required QoL fixes this game needs but it's starting to feel like we're only going to get one per patch.

Top Bottom