• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT| The Midas Touch

Jeels

I know that 2.0 restored faith in a damaged se brand but looking at sub numbers and money isn't exactly fair because while you have the money spent on 1.0 and 2.0 you also have salaries for a team of at least ten-twenty people for the past two years. Not like you suddenly stop spending money on an mmo development. I'm sure there's other stuff going on that needs money spent on as well like fan fest and all that other promotional stuff that I dunno is factored into cost analysis for the brand.

I think it's a fair point to question the profitably of ff14 not just now but as a sustained revenue stream.

They are working on a barebones staff.

They make more money on the actual single game purchase then a lot of games do in their lifetime. If XIV isn't profitable the games industry in general needs to pack it up.

Once again, I'd check out SE's financials if there's any doubt.

WolvenOne

Either that or they just want to be very conservative in their approach, considering the state of paid mmos and them being burned before.

No doubt there's some odd that going on. Thing is though, I know for a fact that YoshiP and company want to hire another battle designer, but as far as I can tell he hasnt.

The only plausible explanations for this are either, that they just haven't found the right hire yet, which seems unlikely, or that Square Enix as a whole hasn't allocated enough of a budget to make that hire.

I might also add that it is possible that the remainder of the FFXI team might be rolled into the XIV team after they're done with the final patch for that game. That's speculation on my part though, and even if it ends up being true it'll take some time for that team to fully finish up. There will be hot fixes and possible balance patches there I'm sure.

PS: While I'm sure some profits from this game will go into KH3 and the FFVII remake, I don't expect those products to be as costly as XV. Much of XV's woes stem from its engine, which has turned out to be rather difficult to work with. KH3 and the FFVII remake however are appearently Unreal 4 games however, so they'll be skipping some of the more difficult steps of development for those games.

MrHoot

All the resources for XV are totally gonna go to KH3 once XV is done anyways. That and the VII remake

If XV, Kh3 and FF7R all end up good, SE will make so much profit that they'll probably be able to gold-plate themselves, make infinite amount of youth potions from nomura's blood and Yoshi P can finally return to his dimension through the defunct portal gate under the office

Tabris

It's guaranteed game won't go live before 1am PST, due to the whole weekly reset situation, right?

Because I think I'll play Fallout 4 until 1am so I wanna make sure I don't miss hoping on when it comes live.

My leading theory as to why they do not reinvest more into the game, is that a lot of that money is being diverted to the development of XV. If true hopefully that means they'll start putting more resources back into XIV in six months or so, when XV development winds up.

uxD9Gu1.jpg

Wilsongt

Bard: Bow of the heavens, 105 dex, 110 vit, 93 det, 68 crit

Summoner: Grimoire of the HEavens - 105 int, 99 Vit, 97 Crit, 65 determination *tosses Almandal* Provided I can actually get a group to beat Thorden lol

Tabris

Paladin weapon : Sword of the Heavens - Strength + 75, Vitality + 79, Determination + 66, Critical_Hit_Rate + 49

Nice.

Paladin Shield: Shield of the Heavens - 30 strength, 31 vitality, 28 skill speed, 19 parry, 199 Block Rate, 549 Block

I don't like this with the Shield Swipe changes. May not be worth wearing.

Spell speed on the BLM staff, thank god. I was worried we'd get crit/det since both the Gordian and the Esoterics staffs had spell speed combinations already.

Sifl

Is it confirmed these weapons are drops only and there's no tokens to trade in? I thought someone said that the other day but I don't remember.

Ken

Is it confirmed these weapons are drops only and there's no tokens to trade in? I thought someone said that the other day but I don't remember.

Couldn't find tokens but Bismark and Ravana patch notes didn't include an items list so we don't know if their totems would have been included in the items list. I feel like they would be as Miscellany so I'm leaning towards either the Heavens' Ward fragment is the token and not barding-related, or no tokens.

Since it was pointed out that there's no barding recipe, and no recipe uses the Fragment, it could very likely be the token.

Sweet Jesus that Dragoon spear. I want it.

Shame about the Dark Knight weapon though; Yoshida still doesn't get Parry is a garbo stat. At least the main stat is Crit though.

Tabris

For Asami / Sorian:

New Triple Triad Cards:
Deepeye card A common (★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Archaeornis card An uncommon (★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Paissa card An uncommon (★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Dhalmel card An uncommon (★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Bandersnatch card An uncommon (★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Crawler card An uncommon (★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Poroggo card An uncommon (★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Vedrfolnir card A rare (★★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Coeurlregina card A rare (★★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Progenitrix card A rare (★★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Belladonna card A rare (★★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Echidna card A rare (★★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Pipin Tarupin card A rare (★★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Julyan Manderville card A rare (★★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Moglin card A rare (★★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Charibert card A rare (★★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Roundrox card A rare (★★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Senor Sabotender card An epic (★★★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Regula van Hydrus card A legendary (★★★★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.
Archbishop Thordan VII card A legendary (★★★★★) card used in the game Triple Triad.

iammeiam

So I'm hearing ranged i210 WD didn't change, which means bards can just farm Thordan and give up entirely at that point.

Time to get a bow and a gun.

Tabris

Sweet Jesus that Dragoon spear. I want it.

Shame about the Dark Knight weapon though; Yoshida still doesn't get Parry is a garbo stat. At least the main stat is Crit though.

Yoshida doesn't understand how tanking is right now. Doesn't matter how much you mitigate (assuming same kind of cooldown is used), the same heals are applied in general. So that DRK that parries resulting in 3000 instead of 3500 damage the WAR took without that parry is getting the exact same heal from the healer.

Tabris

So I'm hearing ranged i210 WD didn't change, which means bards can just farm Thordan and give up entirely at that point.

Time to get a bow and a gun.

With relics coming up soon, which are guaranteed to be i210 minimum and may be i215 based on Thordan's weapons, and airship ventures ensuring BiS when you have enough time to grind or have good RNG with stats & drops - all of Savage gear has essentially been invalidated.

That's why they need to increase the level gap for raiding. i200 currency i220 raid is what should have happened.

Ken

With relics coming up soon, which are guaranteed to be i210 minimum and may be i215 based on Thordan's weapons, and airship ventures ensuring BiS when you have enough time to grind or have good RNG - all of Savage gear has essentially been invalidated.

That's why they need to increase the level gap for raiding. i200 currency i220 raid is what should have happened.

kek

Ken

It's hilarious how they half-step WD on bows and guns, resulting in stuff like this. Thordan weapon is BiS now, isn't it? XD

Main stat is still worth more on the 210 but it's close.

Anything planned GAF guild wise for tomorrow?

Been waiting for new content to jump back into this game.

On Ultros? Darkness is trying to do a 24-Lalafell avoid Ark. Otherwise it'll probably just be a lot of people trying to do one of the three 8 or more player stuff (Reactor, Void ark, Airships).

scy

Wondrous Sundries II option lists the Heavens weapons and round table barding as items and the associated currency as the Heavens' Ward helm fragment. I couldn't find the cost because scrub tier though.

Edit: Scratch that. Paladin Sword is 7 / 3 for Shield, 10 for the rest of the weapons, 15 for the Barding it looks like.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
On Ultros? Darkness is trying to do a 24-Lalafell avoid Ark. Otherwise it'll probably just be a lot of people trying to do one of the three 8 or more player stuff (Reactor, Void ark, Airships).

Ah cool, hopefully we can just ask about when we hop on then.

Wilsongt

Someone in YoshiP's team has a bunny fetish and it isn';t cute.
Void Ark Armor of Fending:

93 strength, 97 vitality, 86 accuracy, 60 crit.

iammeiam

With relics coming up soon, which are guaranteed to be i210 minimum and may be i215 based on Thordan's weapons, and airship ventures ensuring BiS when you have enough time to grind or have good RNG with stats & drops - all of Savage gear has essentially been invalidated.

I think even if they did that we'd end up seeing i220 pinks. They made a conscious choice to have the Diadem stuff equivalent iLevel with upgraded Eso/raid gear; if they wanted to keep it lesser they could have just dropped it at i205. With poverty twine/coat out there, i210 just isn't special anymore. And putting upgraded Eso gear a step below raid gear is unlikely because it'd make there just be one 'best' set for everyone,no options, which sucks for classes that share loot pools.

I really don't care that Savage gear isn't special anymore, so much as I find it funny that their continuing crusade to keep ranged WD low has made Gordian weapons just less of an upgrade overall for ranged now. Relic matching raid weapon damage at the end of a content cycle is pretty expected, too, and has historically helped groups get their first clears, so that doesn't bother me either. It's just the weirdness of ranged stats.

Wilsongt

Void Ark Skirt of Fending: 93 strength, 97 vitality, 86 crit, 57 determination

YOU GET CRIT AND DET! YOU GET CRIT AND DET! EVERYBODY GETS CRIT AND DET!

Except SCH.

Zomba13

Did I read somewhere that 2.0 Relic drops will be 100% this patch? And does anyone know (if true) that it extends to all relic item drops (atma and dungeon item drops)?

I just really want to get my PLD Zodiac done so I can use it for glamour. And I guess grind out the light because that shouldn't take too long.

I still need the crafter items though...

Ken

Did I read somewhere that 2.0 Relic drops will be 100% this patch? And does anyone know (if true) that it extends to all relic item drops (atma and dungeon item drops)?

I just really want to get my PLD Zodiac done so I can use it for glamour. And I guess grind out the light because that shouldn't take too long.

It said dungeon drops from the LL slide, iirc.

MrHoot

Patch note states that the drops from dungeon for the Zodiac brave step are now guaranteed. So just gotta run them once and you're good.

Also apparently CERTAIN duties will have increased light attuning rate. As someone just about to start that phase, i'm curious about the new light gain. I hope it's pretty substantial since the light grinding is still a major pain in the ass

Tabris

Void Ark Fending Gear.

Helm 57 strength, 60 vitality, 53 skill speed, 35 determination
Body 93 strength 97 vitality 86 accuracy 60 crit
Hands - 57 strength 60 vitality 53 crit 37 accuracy
Legs: 93 str 97 vit 86 crit 57 determination
Feet: 57 str 60 vit 53 skill speed 37 accuracy

Top Bottom