• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

Hey guys!
I just bought the game and it is right now installing on my PS4.
Before I'm starting I'm looking for some advice for my character.
Since I will solo most of the time and this is my first mmo I'm looking for a beginner friendly class that can I can play solo. I know that some content is blocked by having to group so I guess queue times are a factor as well.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Any class can solo. If you're concerned about dungeon queue times, dps classes inevitably have a longer wait compared to healers/tanks... but this is the same for every MMO.

Palace of the Dead is good for exp grinding and has fast queue times for everyone, since party roles aren't fixed like normal dungeons.

Reknoc

Hmm. I'll look that up. See what I can do at my level

I started mining today. It's pretty annoying already lol. I've never been much of a crafter in mmos.

at 53 you unlock 1* which is 15 a day
56 you unlock 2* which is 20 a day
59 you unlock 3* which is 75 a day
60 you unlock elite which is 100 a week

it caps at 1000 which should be enough to get all the HW artifact armour/accessories/weapon which are all ilvl200. only thing you'd be missing is a ring since you can't double up on blue rings. Plus they're easily upgraded to 210

Thorgal

My awesome monk play against Niddy.

7xTwTd8.gif

Kattbuss

I've been playing as an Arcanist and it's been fantastic for solo stuff. You get a tank pet at level 15 which makes most encounters very easy - let your pet take the heat while you stand back and sling magic. Before that you have a DPS pet which can also draw the enemies away from you, though obviously not as effectively as the tank.

When you reach level 30 with Arcanist and level 15 with Conjurer, you can switch to Scholar, which is supposedly an even easier class to solo with.

Arcanist is a DPS class though, the main quest dungeons I've done so far have all had queue times of around 15 to 20 minutes.

e: this is my first MMO too fwiw

This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks!
I'll read up on the class.

garath

at 53 you unlock 1* which is 15 a day
56 you unlock 2* which is 20 a day
59 you unlock 3* which is 75 a day
60 you unlock elite which is 100 a week

it caps at 1000 which should be enough to get all the HW artifact armour/accessories/weapon which are all ilvl200. only thing you'd be missing is a ring since you can't double up on blue rings. Plus they're easily upgraded to 210

Ah awesome. Looks like I have a bit more leveling to do. Only 42.

Is this a good version of the game to have? Got it from the SE store during Black Friday.
6EuUaSq.jpg

Or should I go with the standalone/special edition version(s) of it?

Pygrus

Anyone got any suggestions on what server to xfer to?

Just came back to the game, been away for about 8 months. I was on Leviathan, but it looks like my FC broke up and a lot of people on my friends list seem to have moved to different servers.

Leviathan population seems to be down as well, at least from what i remember.

Hikami

Just came back to the game, been away for about 8 months. I was on Leviathan, but it looks like my FC broke up and a lot of people on my friends list seem to have moved to different servers.

If Leviathan feels like it has a low population to you then really only Balmung or Gilgamesh would satisfy you, Levi's one of the larger servers: (first column next to server name is active players)

Pygrus

If Leviathan feels like it has a low population to you then really only Balmung or Gilgamesh would satisfy you, Levi's one of the larger servers: (first column next to server name is active players)

It could just be where i have been hanging out recently. Just seems like Idyllshire is a lot emptier then i remember it being.

I'm also incredibly happy with some of the inventory changes they put in place, they were much needed.

Alright, I need this question answered.

Does Heavensward feature areas on floating islands? In the intro CG video, we see what appears to be floating islands. So I'm wondering if the expansion offers a heavy snow area down on the planet, and sunny green fields up on the floating rocks, like in Chrono Trigger? Because this is how I pictured the expansion ever since I saw the CG video, and I'll be disappointed if it's not that.

Pachimari

Is it generally a good idea for me to be on the Ultros server if I am based in Europe and mostly play by day in our time zone? I know GAF is on Ultros and has the whole Free Company thing going though.

Hikami

Doing the level 50 Dark Knight job quest at the moment. This whole questline has been sooo good so far.

Does Heavensward feature areas on floating islands?
Yep
So I'm wondering if the expansion offers a heavy snow area down on the planet, and sunny green fields up on the floating rocks.
Yep, to both of those as well. I was quite surprised by the variety in the areas.

Does Heavensward feature areas on floating islands? In the intro CG video, we see what appears to be floating islands. So I'm wondering if the expansion offers a heavy snow area down on the planet, and sunny green fields up on the floating rocks, like in Chrono Trigger? Because this is how I pictured the expansion ever since I saw the CG video, and I'll be disappointed if it's not that.

You won't be disappointed.

Pachimari

So when I do "Labyrinth of the Ancients", that's when patch 2.1 starts? And "Second Coil" is when patch 2.2 starts? And the patches don't have names like the expansions do? I'm trying to get an overview of the content.

Bouniter

Is it generally a good idea for me to be on the Ultros server if I am based in Europe and mostly play by day in our time zone? I know GAF is on Ultros and has the whole Free Company thing going though.

Its difficult to say their are several guild members from the EU myself included so someone is normally on. However anything before 9PM GMT is very quiet server wise, which has made doing some of the more obscure side content difficult (its still possible to do but your wait times can be long). The main line content however I've very rarely had any trouble getting into.

The novice network assuming you are new is also very good and most of the time has active new and veteran players alike chatting, joking, asking and giving advice so you very rarely feel completely alone but it is quiet.

In the end it is also possible to move severs (at a cost) so its not the end if you pick one or another.

My personal feeling is that if I ever wanted to join a static and get into it hardcore it may be better for me to move servers, but I'm not really into the whole grinding thing I like to experience the content and move on and so am currently very happy on ultros, take out of that what you will.

Pachimari

At this moment I just really wanna play through the story up to the latest patch, but I am only at the part where the game teaches me about dungeons so I'm probably not that far? I'll try stay on Ultros and see how it'll go when I need to team up with other players. Is the novice network another server?

Zuly

So that thing I said about thinking about putting Fisher on the back burner...I take it back. Getting collectables with Fisher is so goddamn easy. No rotations, no waiting for GP/spending Cordials. Just pop the buff and go.

Got my Botanist to 60 today, and slowly reaching 55 with Miner. Fisher is an inch off 53. I need to start saving up gil for the full Ironworks set for my gatherers.

At this moment I just really wanna play through the story up to the latest patch, but I am only at the part where the game teaches me about dungeons so I'm probably not that far? I'll try stay on Ultros and see how it'll go when I need to team up with other players. Is the novice network another server?

If you're just starting out, you have a long road ahead of you but please don't rush it and enjoy the story.

This is the full list of main scenario quests: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

Bouniter

The novice network is a community chat each server has you need to be invited to it by a mentor (a player with a crown next to his name) so ask around a more populated area and someone will let you in.

Doing so will add novice network as a chat option where you can talk to fellow noobs and veterans whatever you are doing or wherever you are which is fantastic for advice, meeting people and having people around during low population hours. I highly recommended you join its well worth it.

If your having trouble getting in there are many mentors in the guild so just ask on here and I'm sure they will help (I'm afraid I'm no mentor yet so I can't offer to invite you in myself)

Pachimari

If you're just starting out, you have a long road ahead of you but please don't rush it and enjoy the story.

This is the full list of main scenario quests: http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

Oh, I started a while back. Bought it for PS3, then PS4 and then PC. But I have been very slow at progressing. Thanks for the link!

The novice network is a community chat each server has you need to be invited to it by a mentor (a player with a crown next to his name) so ask around a more populated area and someone will let you in.

Doing so will add novice network as a chat option where you can talk to fellow noobs and veterans whatever you are doing or wherever you are which is fantastic for advice, meeting people and having people around during low population hours. I highly recommended you join its well worth it.

If your having trouble getting in there are many mentors in the guild so just ask on here and I'm sure they will help (I'm afraid I'm no mentor yet so I can't offer to invite you in myself)

Ah yeah I heard about this feature they added. Where seasoned players could act as mentors for new players. Actually a great idea.

Leviathan is still pretty active, maybe not crazy active as Balmung or Gilgamesh but active enough. It's also a bit of a dead time, we're in between patches and the ones who raid are probably just raid logging and everyone else just does whatever. It'll pick up when the new patch drops.

LowParry

Anyone come across this on the PC? Trying to reinstall and bleh. I've done all the searching I could find for fixes and having no luck.

M4mts2Z.png

Edit: Ah, tried some different DNS servers and seems to have done the trick. Download is slow but eh, whatever works.

garath

I have 27 quests left to get to 2.1. I see no possible way I can catch up to current content by stormblood.

I still want to buy it anyways since Amazon has the 20% off for prime preorders though :(

The 40s are going pretty quick though. Mixing in leveling roulette with MSQ. Getting to know the dungeons better too since I'm leveling the tank jobs here and there.

aceface

I'm pretty sure the last column in this chart on the right is active players as of patch 3.4. No way Ultros has 9000 active players, 2800 sounds about right.

Hystzen

I'm from UK but never have issues with people from GAF being around

garath

Oh jeez. I'm a dummy. I've been assuming stormblood comes out this month because that's the Amazon release date looked like. But it's really summer 2017 huh. Oops. I guess I have plenty of time to catch up.

I didn't even see the 2017 on amazon. It's all placeholder oops.

iammeiam

I'm pretty sure the last column in this chart on the right is active players as of patch 3.4. No way Ultros has 9000 active players, 2800 sounds about right.

Nope, first column is active characters between August and November. Ultros stuff in English here. Active just amounts to basically any change in the character page in that three month span. Final column is how many people have the Moenbryda minion and, by extension, did 3.4.

Game as a whole is down quite a bit--January had 771,000 'active' and November is down to just shy of 500,000 so a third of the population exited--but there's a fairly consistent influx of new players that keeps things from falling off a cliff.

Peroroncino

Guys I have another question, I'm probably pulling the trigger on the game today since I hit the trial level cap, but I need to know one thing, after buying ARR which gets me 30 days for free, will I also get another 30 days for buying Heavensward separately after those 30 days from ARR expire?

Hystzen

Can't wait til this thread starts to fill of newbies getting a gambling addiction to scratch cards and card games after they get access to Gold Saucer

dramatis

Guys I have another question, I'm probably pulling the trigger on the game today since I hit the trial level cap, but I need to know one thing, after buying ARR which gets me 30 days for free, will I also get another 30 days for buying Heavensward separately after those 30 days from ARR expire?
No.

garath

Can't wait til this thread starts to fill of newbies getting a gambling addiction to scratch cards and card games after they get access to Gold Saucer

I was wrapping up some side quests last night and found I unlocked golden Saucer. Any good rewards from there to jump into the gambling? Lol

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, first column is active characters between August and November. Ultros stuff in English here. Active just amounts to basically any change in the character page in that three month span. Final column is how many people have the Moenbryda minion and, by extension, did 3.4.

Game as a whole is down quite a bit--January had 771,000 'active' and November is down to just shy of 500,000 so a third of the population exited--but there's a fairly consistent influx of new players that keeps things from falling off a cliff.

Gave it 5 minutes and it refused to load, so I'm going to assume it's worse than everyone thought and Ultros actually has zero people.

Hystzen

I was wrapping up some side quests last night and found I unlocked golden Saucer. Any good rewards from there to jump into the gambling? Lol

Some interesting cosmetics, titles and cards, it just side fun but the daily coctopot is worth trip as are Triad tournaments. It also allows you to rage and swear at TV with the Typhoon mini game

Zuly

Mounts, dances, minions, housing items, and glamour.

The mini-games aren't so bad. Triple Triad, Chocobo Racing, and Lord of Verminion are fun to play.

(Granted, Lord of Verminion is kinda laggy for me since I'm used to a more snappy boxing system in my RTS games)

aceface

Oh really? I'm surprised it's that high. Anyways, whatever the numbers Ultros has never felt empty to me at all so I wouldn't let that sort of thing dissuade people from joining the server.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Since I had some leftover cash from all my PotD runs, I decided to finally buy a private house.
Grabbed an S one in Limsa and while it's not huge, I really like and can't wait to actually spend some time furnishing it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The original Warrior design in Tera was pretty crazy, it was a pure dodging and soak tank. You had the only class with 2 dodges (still on long CDs) instead of one and the largest HP bar and defense stat. It was so difficult to play compared to Lancer that they had to add a block to Warrior later on just so anyone would play it.

Of course this problem was compounded by just how easy it was to play Lancer. The Lancer would just block and use the shield swipe and chuckle at any boss attack, with the sole exception of actually having to use their super-convenient dash to run out of the Queen's big AoE thing because that was the only Lancer-unblockable attack in the whole game at NA launch. The biggest challenge most Lancers faced in Tera was figuring out how to make the camera show the boss while tanking the boss with your back to the wall so it didn't push you backwards constantly and mess up positioning for the DPS.
I loved the original warrior tank and tried my best to learn how to play it well. Only got good at it after block came in, but I kept at it while trying not to rely too much on the block anyway. The idea of a dodge tank was so much fun, and it was so satisfying when done right.

Too bad there was such a huge stigma against warrior tanks in that game. Most people would even let me TRY to tank anything, even though anyone who gave me a chance was usually pleasantly surprised. They always thought warrior tanks would just die instantly, or fail to hold aggro at all, never realizing that warriors could actually tank fine if played properly. I'd always have to talk people into it, going "yeah, I can hold aggro just fine, don't worry" and they would just look at me in total disbelief, if they even acknowledged I was even there. The worst was when my own fucking guild leader replied to me asking to tank a boss with "hmm yeah, I guess this boss doens't need a tank anyway". Fuck. Off.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Since I had some leftover cash from all my PotD runs, I decided to finally buy a private house.
Grabbed an S one in Limsa and while it's not huge, I really like and can't wait to actually spend some time furnishing it.

It is so addictive. I'm just glad I have crafting jobs leveled, it would be incredibly expensive to furnish otherwise. On my server, there are housing items that can be made from materials you can buy for maybe 1k from NPCs that go for 100k. And even with crafting, some housing items can require pricey materials. I'd say I spend about 5 million furnishings my small house. Will post pictures when I get home. It's in the Lavender Beds and it's that nice plot on it's own little island.

Hikami

Congrats. I'm hoping to get a house myself at some point. Will probably just get an apartment for now though and try for a house once the new residential area is added in Stormblood.

wamberz1

You can get cash from POTD? I haven't noticed if it gives you it passively...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom